Strigoi 2000 Pts - Vampire Counts Army

1 Strigoi Vampire Count @ 340 Pts
Magic Level 2,Iron Sinews,Curse of the Revenant,Summon Ghouls

24 Zombies @ 154 Pts
Standard

1 Strigoi Vampire Thrall @ 125 Pts
Bat Form

1 Necromancer @ 158 Pts
Magic Level 2,Book of Arkhan,Power Stone (or Dispel Scroll, still deciding!)
1 Nightmare

24 Zombies @ 154 Pts
Standard

1 Necromancer @ 148 Pts
Magic Level 2,Black Periapt, Power Stone (or Dispel Scroll?)
1 Nightmare

25 Zombies @ 160 Pts
Standard

25 Zombies @ 160 Pts
Standard

5 Dire Wolves @ 50 Pts

5 Dire Wolves @ 50 Pts

8 Ghouls @ 64 Pts

8 Ghouls @ 64 Pts

5 Fell Bats @ 100 Pts

5 Fell Bats @ 100 Pts

1 Banshee @ 90 Pts

1 Banshee @ 90 Pts

Casting Pool: 8

Dispel Pool: 5

Models in Army: 140

Total Army Cost: 1997

Basically, I've gotten back into a VC testing kick lately and was wanting to know what veteran VC players think of this list. Fluff and modeling wise, I'm looking at a half-mad strigoi vamp that lives in the Jungles of Lustria. He's worshipped as a god by a local tribe that is obsessed with death and the afterlife. (hence necromancers) I'm looking at ways to use the tomb kings models to give the army an "aztec" type feel with the zombies being modeled after pirates, marauders, lizardmen, and anything else that might wash up on the Lustrian shores.

Tactically, the Count holds the center with the two Necros on either side. These three blocks of zombies will form the line. Direwolves run flanking/warmachine hunting. Fellbats and the Thrall will do the real warmachine hunting along with crossfire setting. Ghouls will concentrate on bignasties (giants?) with poison, or they will run skirmishers away. The banshees are the antiarmor. I hear mixed reviews on them, but I'm confident they'll do well for what I need them to do. My main concern is magic. I'm used to playing a khorne list, so this one seems weak on antimagic. Hopefully, if I run into a necharch, high elf, tzentch army, I can snipe their mages off with the thrall and fell bats and regain control.

This is my first shot at VC's, so let me know what ya'll think.

fubukii
25-04-2007, 14:19
overal seems like a good list, only thing that strikes out to me is the overal lack of Ranked units (aka only 3 zombie units) as they are in not expensive overal. Im not a big fan of banshee's so i would probably drop them for more core troops.

Gimp
25-04-2007, 15:24
You will need at least 4 big blocks of infantry.

And on a thought Dark Elves also have been known to raid Lustria.

druchii
25-04-2007, 16:56
Strigoi 2000 Pts - Vampire Counts Army

1 Strigoi Vampire Count @ 340 Pts
Magic Level 2,Iron Sinews,Curse of the Revenant,Summon Ghouls

25 Zombies @ 160 Pts
Standard

1 Strigoi Vampire Thrall @ 125 Pts
Bat Form

1 Necromancer @ 162 Pts
Magic Level 2,Book of Arkhan,Power Stone (or Dispel Scroll, still deciding!)
1 Nightmare w/Barding

23 Zombies @ 148 Pts
Standard

1 Necromancer @ 152 Pts
Magic Level 2,Staff of Damnation
1 Nightmare w/Barding

23 Zombies @ 148 Pts
Standard

5 Dire Wolves @ 50 Pts

5 Dire Wolves @ 50 Pts

5 Dire Wolves @ 50 Pts

5 Dire Wolves @ 50 Pts

7 Ghouls @ 56 Pts

8 Ghouls @ 64 Pts

8 Ghouls @ 64 Pts

5 Fell Bats @ 100 Pts

5 Fell Bats @ 100 Pts

1 Banshee @ 90 Pts

1 Banshee @ 90 Pts

Casting Pool: 8

Dispel Pool: 5

Models in Army: 128

Total Army Cost: 1999

Basically, I've gotten back into a VC testing kick lately and was wanting to know what veteran VC players think of this list. Fluff and modeling wise, I'm looking at a half-mad strigoi vamp that lives in the Jungles of Lustria. He's worshipped as a god by a local tribe that is obsessed with death and the afterlife. (hence necromancers) I'm looking at ways to use the tomb kings models to give the army an "aztec" type feel with the zombies being modeled after pirates, marauders, lizardmen, and anything else that might wash up on the Lustrian shores.

Tactically, the Count holds the center with the two Necros on either side. These three blocks of zombies will form the line. Direwolves run flanking/warmachine hunting. Fellbats and the Thrall will do the real warmachine hunting along with crossfire setting. Ghouls will concentrate on bignasties (giants?) with poison, or they will run skirmishers away. The banshees are the antiarmor. I hear mixed reviews on them, but I'm confident they'll do well for what I need them to do. My main concern is magic. I'm used to playing a khorne list, so this one seems weak on antimagic. Hopefully, if I run into a necharch, high elf, tzentch army, I can snipe their mages off with the thrall and fell bats and regain control.

This is my first shot at VC's, so let me know what ya'll think.

This is really an idea on the "aztec" idea for the tomb king models(I'm not well versed in VC, sorry). Have you thought about adding lizardmen bits? They've got wonderful aztec-y themed weapons, armor and banner poles. Adding these to the already "native" shield design supplied with the TK skeletons, their hats(the helmeted heads) and you've got a very unique looking force.

d

Wargamejunkie
25-04-2007, 18:48
Gonna have to add in, I think you will need more ranked units. Since your are undead you will be losing them fast in h2h so should start out with more than you think you will need.

Bretagne
25-04-2007, 19:04
yeah dire wolves. isnt it against the law to not have like, a ton in your army? well, break the law, because two units of 5 or six is all you need. get more ranked zombies and your all good.

ScreamingDoombull
25-04-2007, 21:17
Hey, I've taken everyone's advice under note and have changed the list accordingly (except for dropping the banshees, I want to see what they can do!)

As many have suggested, I've dropped some wolves and ghouls to bump most of the zombie units up and to bring a 4th unit of 25. I dropped 2 units of wolves on the basis that they're job will be simply to set the flank charge. 2 should suffice since the fell bats and remaining ghouls should be able to hold the flanks against most other skirmishers/fast cavalry.

Also, I dropped the rod of Damnation in favor of a powerstone and the black periapt. My reasoning for this is to boost my early game magic phase and start bringing 6 Dispel dice. That should give me the magical edge. (If not, my thrall goes lvl 4 wizard hunting... :evilgrin: ) I also dropped the barding on both necros. My original reasoning for mounting them was to take up extra space in the zombie unit, but I'm starting to see that leaving the necros in the unit might not be wise under all circumstances. As such, if need be, the nightmares will give the necros the ability to be where I want them to be. (given with the 6+ save as opposed to the 5+, but I'm hoping they won't see combat. Of course, I'll keep them out of LOS to avoid any untimely demises at the hands of cannonballs!)

As for modeling purposes, DE's will also make fine zombie additions. Lizardmen were already on the menu. I'm thinking of shaping the ghouls to be the deformed and grotesque members of said death obsessed tribe cult, the Necros being the priests, and the Thrall being the village chieftan who has been "blessed by the everliving god". Kinda works on the idea of a vampire moving in and bending a superstitious society to his will.

Please keep commenting! I'm running off ideas and engine fumes! If you see a glaring fault, tell me. I'd hate to put the time into building this army only to have my teeth kicked in every time I go out in public. :D