PDA

View Full Version : The "Fishmen" of Sartosa!

WarbossKurgan
25-04-2007, 12:29
A few of you folks may have already seen some of these models in a skirmish battle report last year but I thought I'd post them in the M, P&T General Discussion section now that the full unit is complete!

During the first "Flame On" Sartosa campaign there were repeated rumours that the Fishmen were attacking coastal villages and carrying off loot and captives. They only ever attacked on foggy nights and no-one ever got a good look at them. Later-on some of the towns even started accussing their neighbouring settlements of colluding with the Fishmen in a kind of protection racket.

It was the Naval Alliance (the goodies) who first got sick of not knowing what was going-on and sent an investigative band to one of the aflicted towns. The investigators returned empty handed after receiving a beating from the squamous menance.

Eventually the Beastmen of Nethrag discovered that the "Fishmen" were Pirate Black Orcs in disguise, trying to frighten off the invaders in a "Scooby-Do villain" style hoax! Kap'n Hadduk's Hallibutteers had been behind the attacks all along!

WarbossKurgan
25-04-2007, 12:31
And a few more! :D

Ross
25-04-2007, 12:44
That is the coolest thing I've seen today! I still can't get the dopey grin off my face!

Seriously good fluff, inventive, original (to me anyway!). Briliant conversions, magnificent!

Is this to be a big force? Can imagine there's heaps of work in those models.

WarbossKurgan
25-04-2007, 12:46
Thanks Ross - it's just the one one unit (It's taken since last September to get this many done!). The rest of my Orc army is Pirate themed.

Roel?
25-04-2007, 12:52
Very original and über cool!

Strelok
25-04-2007, 12:57
These guys are simply awesome. I really like the idea, kind of make me think of the very inventive fantasy equivalent of blood axe commandos. I second Ross' comment about the dopey grin as well, the idea is simply excellent and well executed.

WarbossKurgan
25-04-2007, 13:19
kind of make me think of the very inventive fantasy equivalent of blood axe commandos.
Hehehe! :D Cool - that's exactly how I imagined them too. Sneaky Gitz! ;)

Boss_Salvage
25-04-2007, 14:57
Ahh nice work! Very inventive, and the fishman suits are very well done.

Looting fishmen, what won't those tricksy orcs do next? :D

- Salvage

75hastings69
25-04-2007, 15:55
FINtastic!!!! Excellent fluff too! well done.

WarbossKurgan
01-05-2007, 13:52
Sorry this took so long - I lost the battery charger for my camera!

The completed Fishman Unit:

Sling
01-05-2007, 18:04
Very nice work! :) I was totally like 'lawl' as i've seen the minis! Scoobydoobydoo!

Serpine
01-05-2007, 20:55
At first I thought this was a murloc army from WoW. :) Great conversion.

WarbossKurgan
09-05-2007, 09:58
The warband has been expanded by the addition of Dagon the FishTroll!

The next project is a small group of 5 FishGoblins - "The Spratz" ;) (so I can use them to feed the Troll when I use them in Mordheim!)

Ross
09-05-2007, 10:29
That's one big fish!!!

MF3000
09-05-2007, 10:30
I'm 'drowning' here... ha ha... ha... ha...

Great stuff WarbossKurgan!

sj

Gaz
09-05-2007, 10:33
I saw the pics before I read the text and I thoguht "Wait a sec, why do they look like orcs?" lol.

Very inventive fluff and excellent models, well done :D

snurl
09-05-2007, 10:38
* tears of joy *

Those are just too cool.
You should march right down to GW headquarters with those and demand that they produce them. Great work.

Strelok
09-05-2007, 12:41
Another excellent fish-man-thing, or fish-orc-thing, or fish-troll-thing for that matter. Reminds me of al gore and man-bear-pig (South Park :D). I, personally, can't wait to see the fish-gobbos!

Darknight
09-05-2007, 15:25
"after receiving a beating from the squamous menace."

That made me smile so much, I can't tell you.

Great work - wonderful models.

I feel than AN ENTIRE ARMY of fish-themed Orcs is called for. Not for any real reason, but just because Chariots and Boar Riders and Warbosses and stuff have just got to be fished-up.

Reminds me of the time I wanted to do an entire army wearing fezes. No reason, just because.

sanctusmortis
09-05-2007, 15:31
How did you do the heads? They're just, well, wow...

Is the general going to have a squid on his head and be called Kutooloo, perchance?

WarbossKurgan
09-05-2007, 15:37
Great stuff WarbossKurgan! sj
Very inventive fluff and excellent models, well done :D
* tears of joy *

Those are just too cool.
That made me smile so much, I can't tell you.

Great work - wonderful models.
Thanks everyone!

I feel than AN ENTIRE ARMY of fish-themed Orcs is called for. Not for any real reason, but just because Chariots and Boar Riders and Warbosses and stuff have just got to be fished-up.
Not going to happen - it would take far too long. I'd probably go mad...

I, personally, can't wait to see the fish-gobbos!
Soon, soon!

Is the general going to have a squid on his head and be called Kutooloo, perchance?
A winged Giant with an Octopus hat maybe...

How did you do the heads? They're just, well, wow...
Hope these help! ;)

jansenm
11-05-2007, 03:30
wow they are very cool
I would have like to see the troll with something other than a fish...
maybe giant dragon prawn. and crabs for the gobbos :D

Angelwing
11-05-2007, 03:54
Interesting and inventive. Would be a pity to vanquish them on the field of battle!

The Orange
11-05-2007, 05:02
Man, those look great, you should deffinatly try to get them showcased in WD or something.

Randallw
11-05-2007, 09:17
Very nice idea, and the fish bits are so good I wondered for a second if you took dried out fish heads and stuck them on.

mrtn
11-05-2007, 16:40
Mold line alert on the troll. :eyebrows:

Other than that you know I'm an old fan. :angel:

WarbossKurgan
17-05-2007, 11:04
Update time agian!

I've got a box of 10 plastic Black Orcs, so several projects could all re-start if I feel the urge! I'm going to get these painted first though.

The Fishmen's Grot helpers: The Sprattz!

Strelok
17-05-2007, 18:34
Haha, those guys might be some of my favorites so far. You sir are becoming a master of sculpting fish!

m1s1n
17-05-2007, 19:30
I, for one, embrace our new fish lords.

I really encourage this type of creative converting.

Compyraptor
19-05-2007, 12:05
Oh man these are great, really brightened my day seeing these. Excellent work WarbossKurgan, keep it up !!!

mistformsquirrel
19-05-2007, 12:43
Murgle-******-gurgle. <3 it! <T_T> Those are great and hilarious!

WarbossKurgan
22-05-2007, 09:32
The finished Goblins :D

WarbossKurgan
22-05-2007, 09:33
A couple more!

WarbossKurgan
22-05-2007, 09:34
The last one and a group shot!

jansenm
22-05-2007, 10:02
haha I love it
2 heavy for a gobbo

ArtificerArmour
22-05-2007, 11:28
This threads a Firmir favourite of mine! Arf!

Really good sculpting skills. My only quibble is perhaps paint the wizard/warlock/wierboy/whatever orcs call magic men 's squiddie head a lighter shade - you kinda lose it in the rest of his brown ness. Maybe a light fleshy pink or bright orange.

Any plans to include several other types of fish? :p

WarbossKurgan
22-05-2007, 11:33
YAAAARR! Cheers mates!

Squid Hoppers are next on the list! ;)

ArtificerArmour
22-05-2007, 11:42
YAAAARR! Cheers mates!

Squid Hoppers are next on the list! ;)

*groans*

Ever thought of putting a sword on the nozzle of one of your fish heads? A pretty vicious head butt :p

MindSlave
22-05-2007, 13:41
Now those are NICE!!

Some of the best conversion work I've seen!!

Do an orc warlord! soooo cool...

OrlyggJafnakol
22-05-2007, 13:59
Very imagniative stuff. The sculpting on the heads is very good. Keep it up! And I like the colour scheme too!

Harry
22-05-2007, 14:07
haha I love it
2 heavy for a gobbo

Now I want to see a goblin flattened by a fish clearly too big to go on his head with just his arms and legs sticking out.

Oh, and a snotling base with them all underneath holding up some kind of flat fish.

WarbossKurgan
22-05-2007, 14:27
Now I want to see a goblin flattened by a fish clearly too big to go on his head with just his arms and legs sticking out.

Oh, and a snotling base with them all underneath holding up some kind of flat fish.
Haha! :D I'll see what I can do!

:rolleyes: I thought I was done with the fish for now.....

Marovingean
22-05-2007, 15:12
Really lovely stuff! Would be cool to play against!

M

mrtn
22-05-2007, 16:24
Maybe you could use a screamer of Tzeentch as some form of sting ray?

Angelwing
22-05-2007, 16:30

maybe frog swarms for snotlings?

ancient god
22-05-2007, 18:10
WarbossKurgan, those are really cool. Idea and execution are top.

Would you care to give me a short run down only on the paints you use for the scales? I guess it's something like Green and Blue Inks over Chainmail/Mithril?

I'm with you all the way regarding flat puns... And I'm looking forward to seeing those Squid Hoppers.;)

Cheers! :)

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
22-05-2007, 19:27
Well very cool looking stuff Kurgan, but you probably already know that. Keep up the awesome work.

Greetz
G

Azroth
22-05-2007, 19:40
They are just too cool. Pure awesomeness right there. Nothing constructive to add really, just keep going in the same style and your golden. Keep up the good work.

Cheers.

doghouse
22-05-2007, 20:07
Now that is an excellent concept for an army! Brilliant models as well!
Well done mate, I for one am extremely impressed. :)

WarbossKurgan
22-05-2007, 21:45
Would you care to give me a short run down only on the paints you use for the scales? I guess it's something like Green and Blue Inks over Chainmail/Mithril?
Sure! The scales are Boltgun Metal, ink-washed with watered-down Blue Ink, then a little watered-down Green Ink (or sometimes the really old Orc Flesh Wash I still have) while the blue ink is still wet. Once that's all dried, dry-brushed with Boltgun Metal again. Finally highlighted with Mithril Silver. :D

WarbossKurgan
07-08-2007, 15:48
I needed some fast cavalry in my Pirate Orcs army. I kept getting out-maneuvered by armies with small units of fast moving troops and I had no way of dealing with them! I couldn't use Wolf Riders or Spider Riders as they just don't fit my army (Sometimes I'm I like to blame my Pirate theme for actually holding back my in-game performance rather than my gaming ability! You can shush: It makes me fell better!), so I needed to find some way of adding fluffy Pirate Fast Cavalry.... so I stole an idea from Blessed Knight (I feel no shame: Pirates steal stuff!!!! Plus he's not using the idea now!).

Pirate Goblin Crab Riders! (used as Forest Goblin Spider Riders for rules and points, but with a Piratical twist to make them fit my theme. :D )

So I began the planning and it took ages because I hadn't been able to decide exactly how I was going to do it. I messed around with Tyranid 'Gaunt arms for ages, trying to work out if it was possible and affordable to use them as Crab legs. It didn't seem like it was. The idea lost a bit of it's excitement and got shelved as I lost interest and got caught-up in other projects.

Then for some reason I was looking at the Skull Pass GW Manc on Saturday, and the Spider Riders caught my attention. I had dissmissed them early on because the abdomen section of the spider's body is too fat to be crab-like and joined to it's back legs. But this time I started thinking "what if I just chopped them in half and stuck two front-ends together?" and the penny dropped!

I bought a box and got to work on them that evening (while my Girlfriend was out on a Hen Night!). Here's the results so far:

Braad
07-08-2007, 16:07
Just simply awesome.
Love pirates!
Love orcs!
Combined... can't get better then that I guess...

75hastings69
07-08-2007, 16:24
I am so glad to see this thread updated! I love it!

I think that the Goblin Crab Riders are the coolest thing EVER!!!

The small Gaunt arms used back to front (i.e. ball socket pointing out) should make excellent eye stalks!

Really first class work, I'll look forward to seeing one of these painted up!

Both excellent ideas, you should give them a go!

WarbossKurgan
07-08-2007, 16:37
Thanks chaps!

Sorry for the long delay between updates, I've been playing games during Nemesis Crown but not painting many models! :rolleyes:

They already have tiny little eye-stalks made from 'Nid Toxin Sacs! ;)

75hastings69
07-08-2007, 16:51
And they are excellent! sorry I missed them before. What a superb idea. Subbing crabs for Spiders is no real biggie anyway, and for modelling purposes I think you nailed it right on!

Harry
07-08-2007, 17:05
Crab riders. Simply brilliant.

Glad to see this project still creeping forwarsd ... well sideways at least.

Hows that snotling stand with the big flat fish coming. :D

SmashemTaBitsa
07-08-2007, 17:23
Amazing stuff. I love the name of the troll. Subbing spiders with crabs is ingenious.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
07-08-2007, 22:00
Lovely looking stuff Kurgan, aren't they painted yet:p

Greetz
G

Arsonist18
07-08-2007, 22:24
Holy mackerel! (sorry, had to do it). These models are fantastic. Brilliant idea with the crabs. After reading the first two pages of this thread, I'm just in awe of how cool these are.

Gralph!?!
08-08-2007, 01:09
i think i am going to DEMAND you to make your next unit a unit of squig hoppers but are orcs riding blowfish like moon hoppers.

Metal Fingered Villain
08-08-2007, 01:32
Oh man, this is one of the most original themed armies I think I've ever encountered. The fish men suits are sick and the crab riders are awesome. I'm with Gralph!?! on the squig hoppers riding pufferfish. That would be funny.

Resurrected
08-08-2007, 02:30
Must... have... more!!! :D

bluebugs
08-08-2007, 03:09
I love it, very original and unique. Love the fluff too "and I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for them meddlin' orcs" Great stuff.

speedygogo
08-08-2007, 04:27
I love your conversion and can't wait to see more.

WarbossKurgan
08-08-2007, 11:04
Thanks everyone! I have been painting, honest! They should be done in a few days.... :angel:

i think i am going to DEMAND you to make your next unit a unit of squig hoppers but are orcs riding blowfish like moon hoppers.
When I get to them, they will be Squid Hoppers! :rolleyes: (sorry).

It'll be a while though as I just got another box of Spider Riders from eBay. :D

Neknoh
08-08-2007, 11:46
You MUST make a goblin or Snotling that has tried to dress up but something went wrong, he picked too big a fish for his costume.

Like, goblin/Snotling legs, perhaps waste as well, and then, a fish that is placed upside down, as if though it tried to ea the goblin but the goblin got stuck somewhere halfway. Of course, the fish shouldn't be straight like a spear, but it shouldn't be all flopped down as well if you get what I mean.

Light of the Emperor
08-08-2007, 15:11
Best. Army. Ever. , its made of awesome and win, fishmen FTW !!!
and all other manner of wierd forms for praise...

WarbossKurgan
12-11-2007, 09:41
At (long) last they are painted!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j15/WarbossKurgan/Crab%20Riders/HPIM4480.jpg

WarbossKurgan
12-11-2007, 09:43
And the rest:

tinfoil
12-11-2007, 14:35
Awesome army in the making!
IIRC, a few years back, the inside joke in GW's design studio was that they were planning an army of fishmen -- not that they really were, but they were tempted to leak rumors they were, just to confound rumor-mongerers....

Love your take on things.

titan136
12-11-2007, 14:55
holy awesomeness, definitely one of the more original ideas i've seen on orcs, very nice execution. When i read the title i thought it was going to be really cheesy but you pulled it off brilliantly. can't wait to see more

Isha
12-11-2007, 17:06
WOW! Man, that's what's cool 'bout the hobby! :) I'd offer u some fine drinks! ARRR!

Asuril
12-11-2007, 17:59
So awesome!

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
12-11-2007, 20:49
Aaaaaaawsooooooomeeeeee!
:D

ZeroTwentythree
12-11-2007, 22:51
Brilliant crab riders!

I like WarbossKurgan's squid-hopper idea. Seriously. Or maybe turn some squigs into octopi?

Earthbeard
13-11-2007, 18:26
These guys are brilliant, the scuplting and converting is top notch.

I am so eager for more too.

WarbossKurgan
22-05-2009, 10:19
It's Squid Hopper time!

They are stil very much WIP but I hope to have eight finished by the end of May.

mrtn
22-05-2009, 10:54
Look who crawls out of the woodwork after 1½ years... They're looking good. :)

Elazar The Glorified
22-05-2009, 11:12
That's quite the thread resurrection there! Absolutely love this stuff. Such a brilliant and characterful theme for an army. Only Orcs & Goblins would dress up like fish monsters like some kind of awful Scooby Doo baddy. Top stuff, glad to see you're continuing with these and your Squid Hoppers look awesome! :D

WarbossKurgan
22-05-2009, 11:21
Thanks guys!

Look who crawls out of the woodwork after 1½ years...
:angel::p

malika
22-05-2009, 14:19
Very cool stuff man! You should check out Kyte Fishmen, he has a thread on them here (http://trollsforge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=wip&action=display&thread=83). You can get them here (http://trollsforge.com/fishmen/fishmen.html). Now I'm not saying you should buy these (only if you like them of course), but I thought it might be cool if you guys were to exchange ideas on the Fishmen since well, I think you both made some really kick ass models! :D

Sheena Easton
22-05-2009, 18:25
I'm so glad this thread was revived - the concept and models are Beyond Fabulous!

Breazer
22-05-2009, 18:27
AWESOME!!!!

i really dont have any other words for it....one of the most brilliant orc themes ever...
i love them man...really great great job...as being an orc player myself i cant say anything else then awesome..keep this up...

stonetroll
22-05-2009, 21:32
This thread is made of pure awesomeness.

Most unique theme I have ever seen. Keep it going man! May I suggest a General a-la Davie Jones @ pIrates of the Caribbean?

WarbossKurgan
26-05-2009, 15:22
Thanks guys!

Still some work to be done: they don't all have fins and suckers yet and I've four more Goblins to make. Here's that latest WIP...

Hackbarr and The Kalamari Krew:

Gargobot
26-05-2009, 16:40
Great! Just keep it up, incredible project you have going on here!

Devillocks
26-05-2009, 19:07
Excellent thread, full of awesome~! and the Scooby-Doo reference is just the icing on the cake. Can't wait to see a full army shot when you finish... that is, if you ever finish, since there's so many great ideas for a theme like this. Cheers!

Dakkapantz
26-05-2009, 21:43
These are some of the coolest orcs (and gobbos) i've ever seen! Great work. Really fantastic conversions.

Cheerz

Dakkapantz

Harry
27-05-2009, 07:14
Wonderful use of the spore mines. 10 out of 10.

Now what about those snotlings holding up I giant flat fish. :D

Lord Azoth
27-05-2009, 07:46
really marvellous...the copncept is fanbtastic ...

want to see them painted!!

ScytheSwathe
27-05-2009, 11:50
There simply isnt anything better than this!

Would've gotten away with it too, if it wasnt for those meddling Beastmen...

Ps, Spore Mines! i was wondering what they were

Breazer
27-05-2009, 16:25
once more greatly done...am very curious to how it all looks when its done

Doublethink
28-05-2009, 02:32
This is AMAZING! Keep it up!

Urgat
28-05-2009, 07:38
Funky army :)

Now what about those snotlings holding up I giant flat fish. :D

Lol, you made a macro or what? :D

WarbossKurgan
29-05-2009, 07:24
Thanks guys: Really appreciate it! :D

I've done a little more work on Hackbarr's hat to make it taller at the front. I think the "build phase" is over, so it's time to get painting! Here's the last WIP photos:

Elazar The Glorified
29-05-2009, 08:22
Looks awesome, can't wait to see them painted up!

Breazer
29-05-2009, 18:22
nicely done....can i ask what you used to base the kalamari's on?

WarbossKurgan
31-05-2009, 21:41
can i ask what you used to base the kalamari's on?
Harry spotted the base model:

Wonderful use of the spore mines.

I chopped the front off each spore mine and added an Orc face (also cut-down so it was just eyes, nose and top lip).

I'm painting them now!

WarbossKurgan
02-07-2009, 11:55
The first 4 Squid Hoppers are finished!

The next 4 are nearly done.

WarbossKurgan
02-07-2009, 11:57
One more I couldn't fit in the last post!

Gargobot
02-07-2009, 12:08
They look great, nice idea - great execution!
Somehow I wish to see a game between your "Fishmen" and tensions' Knights of Gobotonnia.
Keep it up!

Deamon-forge
02-07-2009, 12:09
these are ace love the fluff. you should try and model a orc like the little mermaid lol. keep up the ace work

N810
02-07-2009, 13:39
woah I those squid riders came out great. :D

RaZeR
02-07-2009, 16:53
Really nice stuff :)
Great ideas, conversions and painting... I hate you! :p

Keep up the great work!

MF3000
03-07-2009, 08:02
WOOW!

I really like the squid riders.

Can I steal the idea? I would like to try making one myself. If I have time lol. Credit for idea will go to you of course. (saving the pictures for reference now...)

sj

WarbossKurgan
03-07-2009, 11:44
Thanks guys!

Can I steal the idea?

Go for it matey! :D

Breazer
04-07-2009, 20:31
awesome stuff....can i ask what is up next?

WarbossKurgan
06-07-2009, 16:48
I've finally finished the Squid Hoppers!

WarbossKurgan
06-07-2009, 16:50
More pics, including a group shot:

awesome stuff....can i ask what is up next?

Not quite sure just now - maybe the Giant...

N810
06-07-2009, 16:53
Wow those look great :D

What other units are yoou going to convert ?
(oops I mean how are you going to theme the giant ?)

mrtn
06-07-2009, 16:54
That's an awesome unit.

:)

WarbossKurgan
06-07-2009, 16:55
Re: Giant - Maybe like this... I'm really not sure yet!

N810
06-07-2009, 17:34
kool :D

mabie you could model him afer
http://www.mtv.com/news/moviehouse/photos/finding_nemo_030519/images/flip7.jpg
a deep sea angler ?
(with the glowey dangley bit)

Joeli
20-12-2009, 17:17
insaneley cool man!!! like the goblins and the warboss especially:P. too cute:). nice man

Nordic
20-12-2009, 20:29
gosh! the squid hoppers are just such a clever idea!

Seville
21-12-2009, 02:56
Wow. Super cool. This is really really great. And you've managed to paint the fish so realistically! It's a simple but very effective paint job. You immediately get it.

Great work.

Lord_of_end_times
21-12-2009, 03:48
I love your idea man. Keep it up. One Love

Kalsir
03-01-2010, 21:11
Wow, just found this amazing thread...
They look awesome, I can imagine some very nice terrain for these guys and maybe you could take a look at this site: http://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/range.asp?the_range=FPI
They have a really nice sea themed giant and some Orc and Goblin pirate models.

Alltaken
06-03-2010, 18:10
Best log ever!

I also love your pirate orks, simply amazing

Durloth
06-03-2010, 19:29
I`m joining the rest of the Warseer community in being completely awestruck by the consept and execution.