PDA

View Full Version : Aldred's Casket and Tomb Kings Incantations

Atrahasis
25-04-2007, 16:57
Aldred's Casket of Sorcery is my new must-have item. It is magical defense the like of which the Empire has never seen.

However, as I plan for an upcoming batch of games and think about how to tackle the armies I know I will likely be facing, I'm a little perplexed.

The Incantation rules specifically state that Incantations are spells for all purposes except where noted, even giving destruction of spells as an example of an effect that works normally.

However, Aldred's Casket allows me to cast the stolen spell as a bound spell with level equal to "its normal casting value". Now my first thought would be that any stolen incantations are cast at level 0, or perhaps at 2D6/3D6 depending on the source, but am interested in any other suggestions.

Masque
25-04-2007, 17:02
Using 2D6 or 3D6 (or 1D6 in the case of a King or Prince) as the power level seems the reasonable way of handing this situation.

Atrahasis
25-04-2007, 17:08
(or 1D6 in the case of a King or Prince)The Casket won't work on a King or Prince, they aren't wizards. :)

Masque
25-04-2007, 17:14
Whoops! I'd forgotten exactly how the Casket worked.

Jonke
25-04-2007, 18:17
I'd say 2d6/3d6.

Incantations are spells cast as bound spells and the power level is variable. Or maybe they are spells with power level 0 and the priest gets 2 or 3 free power dice to cast with. Similar to the 2nd gen slanns free die.

Peace!

sds661
27-04-2007, 12:54
The Casket won't work on a King or Prince, they aren't wizards. :)
Is that really cut and dried?

"In the Warhammer game, we commonly refer to a model able to cast spells as a Wizard." (p105)

So how do you dodge that bullet? (I'm pretty sure you'll be able to, but I'd just like to see how.)

jullevi
27-04-2007, 13:22

"In the Warhammer game, we commonly refer to a model able to cast spells as a Wizard." (p105)

So how do you dodge that bullet? (I'm pretty sure you'll be able to, but I'd just like to see how.)

I don't have the book at hand so I can't give you an exact quote, but Tomb Kings armybook makes it very clear that unlike Liche Priests, Tomb Kings and Princes are not treated as Wizards for any purposes. They are similar to Empire Warrior Priests, which are not treated as Wizards either.

Atrahasis
27-04-2007, 14:22
The TK FAQ tells us Princes and Kings aren't wizards. There's no indication of that in the TK book, but such is the nature of GW rules.

sulla
28-04-2007, 04:42

TK don't have spells, they have incantations which are similar to but not not the same as spells...;)

Bretagne
28-04-2007, 05:35
the liche priests are wizards, but dont cast spells. they count as spells in the case of Drain Magic and stuff like that.

Atrahasis
28-04-2007, 10:11
the liche priests are wizards, but dont cast spells. they count as spells in the case of Drain Magic and stuff like that.

They count as spells for everything except miscasts and irresistable force basically.

sds661
28-04-2007, 13:15
OK, well dodged. I'm not terribly familiar with the TK rules, and as its buried in a FAQ I haven't have seen it.