PDA

View Full Version : Empire Pistoliers/Outriders - How many

Little Geek
25-04-2007, 18:43
Im after some advice with these units, so how do you field your pistoliers and outriders, in 5's or 10's or more?
and do you upgrade with a champion and musician or is it not worth it in a small unit.

Thanks, LG

Atrahasis
25-04-2007, 18:47
I usually go with 6 - any larger and the unit becomes unwieldy, and 2 units of 6 is better than one of 12 as you have more flexibility with targets and movement.

Musicians are a must for pistoliers, as they are the classic bait and flee fast cavalry unit, less so with outriders.

The Outrider upgrade for pistoliers is only worth it if you absolutely don't want to make the unit any larger - its only worth taking him if he takes the repeater pistol and then he costs as much as another pistolier.

The marksman upgrade for Outriders is certainly worth it for the BS5 Hochland if you like that kind of thing.

lparigi34
25-04-2007, 19:45
I definetely have to buy one unit of Outriders!!!

gorenut
26-04-2007, 00:19
I definetely have to buy one unit of Outriders!!!

Personally, I think Pistoliers are more of a "must" than Outriders. Theres not much else in the Empire army that can do what they do (bait and fleeing, redirecting, etc). I think Outriders and Handgunners can be interchangeable. I know Outriders can get into better positions, but Handgunners don't eat up your precious special slots and stay effective for longer (1 Outrider dead impacts the squad quite a bit).

Musicians are a must for Pistoliers. I usually go 5 and a champ with repeater pistol. Ideally I would go 6, but that would mean buying a whole new box just to make a squad that is made up of the new models :)

Jackster
26-04-2007, 06:15
5, small unit, plus the box set comes with 5, so i dont have much choice.
like what gorenut said, musician and champ is a must, you can buy another model instead of Champ, but champ hits more and makes the unit smaller.