PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Dwarf 2k list for review

ETP
27-04-2007, 10:27
This is an attempt at a Chaos Dwarfs list, i enjoy playing with lesser played races and from what i can tell the Chaos Dwarfs are one of the more rare.

Heros:

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer - Dispell Scroll - 90
Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer - Dispell Scroll - 90
Hobgoblin Champion - great weapon, armor of gaz, gauntlets of baz - 94

Core Units:

15 Chaos Dwarfs - Blunderbuss - 180
15 Chaos Dwarfs - Blunderbuss - 180
14 Chaos Dwarfs - Blunderbuss - 168
14 Chaos Dwarfs - Blunderbuss - 168
20 Hobgoblins - musician - 50
19 Hobgoblins - musician, standard bearer, light armor, shield - 96

Special Unit:

Bolt Thrower - 30
Bolt Thrower - 30
Bolt Thrower - 30
Bolt Thrower - 30
Bolt Thrower - 30
Bolt Thrower - 30
Bolt Thrower - 30
Bolt Thrower - 30

Rare Unit:

3 Ogre Maneaters - heavy armor, two cathay longswords, one great weapon - 270
3 Ogre Maneaters - heavy armor, two cathay longswords, one great weapon - 270

I know that 8 bolt throwers is cheese, but how in the world can you say no to them when they are so cheap and you get two for each special slot. Aside from that I use the hobgoblins as sacrficial shields and to draw charges away from the dwarfs, meanwhile the maneaters and the equipped hobgoblins go hunting for juicy targets. I look forward to surprising my enemy when a goofy little hobgoblin bashes a warmachine apart with his 7 strength!
Though you can probaby figure it out, the Sorcs each go into one of the 14 man dwarf blocks, looking around for units to blast with the guns and Fire magic. The Hobgoblin goes with the 19 decked out Hobgoblins trying to deliver him to where he can do some harm... and if they all die before that happens its not like it cost alot anyway.

The High Leadership of Chaos Dwarfs, and Maneaters means that a Sorc as the General isnt going to cause any problems. As an Ogre player personally, i am a big fan of Maneater dogs of war, and the Hobgoblin element is fun as it reminds me of Gnoblars, the Hobgoblin Hero in particular is like a Honcho from the gnoblar horde list, and nothing is more rewarding than a pathetic goblin-kin winning a challenge (though granted, he will lose a hell of alot more than he will ever win, but its fun nonetheless).

So... Comments or suggestions are welcome.

Grumnir
28-04-2007, 02:41
IF you actualy have the models congratulations! They are very hard to get hold of.

If its Theory-hammer then I'd pick at the excessive amount of bolt throwers and lack of mobility.

Bloodknight
28-04-2007, 02:53
You cannot have 6 Maneaters in that list because Maneaters use up 2 rare slots in armies which are not Ogre Kingdoms (one rare) or DoW (one special).

The rest looks funny.

Makaber
28-04-2007, 03:03
The list strikes be as tremendeously dull. Also, I just don't think bolt throwers are good enough to need that many of them. I'd much more like to see some of the interesting units that differenciates Chaos Dwarves from all other armies in the galaxy, like bull centaurs and sneaky gits.

Angelwing
28-04-2007, 03:06
technically, chaos dwarfs cant have dogs of war at all as they are not an option in the list. Do ogres have an exception to this?
as for the list, you wont make many friends with all those bolt throwers, but you will need to soften up the enemy as your fighter units are a little weak. It might be worth swapping out a few hobgoblins for wolfriders to get some mobility and sacrificial units for drawing charges etc.
what lores do you plan on using for the mages?

Orcboy_Phil
28-04-2007, 14:14
Angelwing, neither do the new Orcs and Goblin or Empire books, however they are still allowed to take them. Look at the Dogs of War entry on GW UK store for details why.

You need to either combine the Maneater units or get rid of one and pump the points back into core or special. Also why no earthshaker? It effectivly forces onto the opponent one of the dwarves main weaknesses. You also need some hand to hand in there as well.

ETP
28-04-2007, 22:05
I have a good deal of chaos dwarfs which i got for practically nothing from a friend who believes them to be the ugliest things on earth. Still alot to go though before i can field 2000 points worth though.

I normally play Ogre Kingdoms and Dogs of War, so the maneaters requireing two rare slots in other armies had slipped my mind. Im thinking perhaps switching them out for a unit of Ironguts then. Lacking stubborn sucks, but they can hit hard and i can field more of them. Ogres are one thing i have in abundance and i love them.

As for the warmachines, at 30 points you really cant go wrong with the boltthrowers, even if they dont do much, they dont have to for the cost. And as my ogre hunter can attest, bolt throwers can be devastating in the right situations. Id consider dropping a few though, but i like that they are longer range and require the opponent to come to me to avoid getting warmachined to death, since im hardly capable of taking the fight to their side of the board.

As for the earthshaker, well, its really just a matter of me wanting Ogres in the army, which takes up the rare slot. Im an Ogre whore.

Lastly, in reference to the Bull Centaurs, granted they seem kind of neat, but im still not too sure about them, and also im limited by the fact that i have no models for them, and i dont feel like ripping apart my Dogs of War Cavalry to convert... although ill give them a try proxied and see if i like them. Does anyone have any experience using them

intellectawe
29-04-2007, 21:24
Lastly, in reference to the Bull Centaurs, granted they seem kind of neat, but im still not too sure about them, and also im limited by the fact that i have no models for them, and i dont feel like ripping apart my Dogs of War Cavalry to convert... although ill give them a try proxied and see if i like them. Does anyone have any experience using them

Yes I use them quite often.

They are a hammer unit at strength 6. So they are def. a charging unit, especially with their 16" charge.

The big problem with them is that they die to any kind of missile fire. They only have a 4+ save at best. So depending on your opponent, they either charge forward and slaughter what they fight, or they die in two turns to ranged fire.

They are worth having, but once your opponent gets smart, they become a counter attacking unit.

Bretagne
29-04-2007, 21:37
The guy who got like third place in the tournament i was at played this.
Lord on Great Taurus

4 units of 20 chaos dwarfs: 2 blunderbuss, 2 great weapon

2 giant (30 strong) units of hobgoblins

EarthShaker

5 bull centaurs

i think this was it. he may have had some other characters. im kicking myself for not checking out his list because i was allowed to. whether you have the models or not (you dont) im pretty sure a clever general will send some flyers to peck out your hobgoblin boltthrower crew's eyes.

popisdead
30-04-2007, 04:44
It's not so much cheese but good terrain will negate your army if you are relying on the bolt throwers.

Since the army lacks balance it's fairly weak, against a good opponent.

I would take 30 glade guard, 2 units of dryads, a unit of Wild Riders, and unit of glade gaurd 4 pieces of terrain (not all woods) and beat it. just toss in a bit of magic defense.

The argument of "of course I"m going to max cheese, why not?>!?!" when talking about bolt throwers is SOOOO incredibly lame it makes me realize this game is has a fair share of people who don't play for fun but cause they lack any real social skills.

I could take 2 Treeman, and 4 units of wardancers as well; or 10 units of glade guard deployed in two waves. But I don't cause I want to have fun and I want my opponent to as well.