PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen first attempt. 2k

eleveninches
27-04-2007, 13:04
HEORES/LORDS:
560 points: 2nd gen Slann (plaque of protection, plaque of topek, diadem of power)
195 points: lv2 Skink Priest (blessed mark of the old ones, power stone, dispel scroll)

CORE:
70 points: 10 Skink Scouts (javelins)
70 points: 10 Skink Scouts (javelins)
70 points: 10 Skink Scouts (blowpipes)
216 points: 12 Temple Guard (shields)

SPECIAL:
105 points: 3 Terradons
174 points: 3 Kroxigar

RARE:
235 points: Steggadon
------------
total = 2010 points
------------

gerrymander61
28-04-2007, 14:54
You can't give the mark of tepok to a skink priest.

I don't really see what 8 temple guard will do for you. only 8 isnt' enough protection for the slann to offset the lost mobility. Put more in to gain more ranks and meatshields or take them all out.

3 Krox is fine, unless you really feel you need 4. I just find that with 4 i lose alot of mobility, and it's harder to screen 4 than 3. Also, getting all 4 into a place to fight is difficult. I just think that last one will hinder you much more than it will help you.

Stegg, nice
Terradons, nice but I usually take bigger units, 3 should be fine thou

Skinks are good, i like that you mix up javs and blowpipes and they're all scouts. Nice and versatile.

Ivan the Terrible
29-04-2007, 02:51
I think that more than two units of skinks as scouts is waste of points. You will want at least one of them to act as a meat shield for your slann. Also, your guard unit is way too small. If you must use them, you need at least 12-15. I would also recomend three salamanders.

eleveninches
29-04-2007, 11:05
cant have 3 rare choices at 2k. steggy and 2nd gen slann are both rares.

I was surprised how little the 2nd gen slann cost. I mean, he is IMO beter than a tzeentch lord on a dragon, and hundreds of points cheaper, though he loses the combat ability that the tzeentchi dragonlord has. 2nd gen slann is Only about 150 points more than a lv4 high elf archmage with book of hoeth, but the slann gets an extra power die for each spell attempt, so you could try to cast 5 spells per turn and have a good chance of getting most of them off.

updated btw

Ivan the Terrible
29-04-2007, 20:06
cant have 3 rare choices at 2k. steggy and 2nd gen slann are both rares.
Sorry about that, I forgot. 2nd generation slann can be a lot of fun, but some players think they are unsporting. Just make sure you protect the big guy...

Vorgrak ChosenOfUndivided
30-04-2007, 03:52
take out the scouts rule and the temple guard, then take out atleast 2 skink squads, and add in a block or 2 of saurus if you can. You also don't need to waste a special on another terradon squad, 1 is enough to march block.

eleveninches
30-04-2007, 11:35
Just wondering, how exactly would lizardmen win games?
I've played against a few armies recently, most of which had all of their 2000 points concentrated in just a few powerful combat units.

him_15
30-04-2007, 12:27
Just wondering, how exactly would lizardmen win games?
I've played against a few armies recently, most of which had all of their 2000 points concentrated in just a few powerful combat units.

Saurus and Skinks win the day, one of the best infantry and skirmisher in the game.

eleveninches
30-04-2007, 12:31
I look at the saurus stats, and cant see why they are worth 14 points. They dont have particularly impressive stats for a supposedly 'combat' unit.
Do skinks have some sort of movement bonus. I can see how 70 blowpipes/javelins, (each blowpipe with a double shot) can do serious damage to most enemies, but how do you plan to evade enemy charges?

C-Coen
01-05-2007, 11:52
Take away loads of the Skinks. Max 3 units. 1 of them with scouts. I don't think anyone would like to play such an army. 2nd gen Slann, lvl Skink priest, 60 Skinks.. come on, that's worse than a Skaven SAD list..!
I would say swap the 3 units of Skinks with a unit of 15 Sauri. If you play a bit with them, you'll notice they really are good. 2 S4 attacks, and a good save? That really is good.
Also, the Temple Guard should either be a big unit, 15-20, or nothing. This really won't be any protection..

Right, it's nice to have something different than normal armies, but this is basically an over magiced all skink army. And as you might notice I don't like such lists very much. (Oh, and if you're wondering, I also play Lizards myself)

eleveninches
08-05-2007, 10:34
I didnt notice that they had 2 attacks. I have played them recently, and they are really quite good. 2 attacks for saurus (3 if given correct spawnings). Oldbloods can get up to 9 attacks!!

After playing against lizardmen a few times, this is the army list i am looking to collect:

LORDS/HEROES:
560 : 2nd gen slann (plaque of topek, plaque of protection, diadem of power)
177: Scar Veteran (enchanted shield, light armour, piranah blade, spawnings of sotek and quetzl) [joins big saurus unit]

CORE:
70: 10 Skinks (scouts, blowpipes)
60: 10 Skinks (blowpipes)

SPECIAL:
174: 3 Kroxigars
75: 5 Chameleon Skinks
105: 3 Terradons
240: 15 Saurus Warriors (FC, spawning of sotek)

RARE:
195: 3 Salamanders
205: 10 Saurus Warriors (FC, spawnings of sotek and huanchi)

----------------------

LORDS/HEROES:
285: Oldblood (cold one, maiming shield, scimitar of the sun resplendant, spawnings of sotek, quetzl and itza)
177: Scar Veteran (enchanted shield, light armour, piranah blade, spawnings of sotek and quetzl) [joins big saurus unit]

CORE:
90: 15 Skinks (blowpipes)

SPECIAL:
174: 3 Kroxigars
75: 5 Chameleon Skinks
105: 3 Terradons
240: 15 Saurus Warriors (FC, spawning of sotek)
260: 6 Saurus Cavalry (FC, jaguar standard)

RARE:
195: 3 Salamanders

kroq'gar
08-05-2007, 10:45
[QUOTE=eleveninches;1536964]I didnt notice that they had 2 attacks. I have played them recently, and they are really quite good. 2 attacks for saurus (3 if given correct spawnings). Oldbloods can get up to 9 attacks!!

CORE:
270: 15 Saurus Warriors (FC, spawning of sotek and quetzl)

one blessing turns saurus special. two turns them rare.

half your skinks should have javs, as when moving and suffering from range blowpipes hit on 7 and thus cant poison.

also, dont take such a hardcore slan without a skins shaman. he should have the diadam, and talis of pro.
-this skink should always feature, and if you dont cast anything, you can get 5 dispel dice with only him in your army.

plus another good lord is an oldblood with armour, +1 armour blessing, old ones, sotek.
give him enchant shield, jaguar talisman and revered blade of tzunki. when you charge you get 6 ws 6 st 6 no armoursave allowed attacks, with a 1+armour and move 9 (so charge18). use his oldone rerolls to reroll break tests one dice at a time.

your army above wouldnt take knights at all well (saurus are actually pretty bad at that).

my only blocks of saurus are temple guard and a +1armour blessed unit in a large block without spears. tough 4 3+ save is usful to tie something up for a kroxigor flank.

eleveninches
08-05-2007, 20:15
how's this?

LORDS/HEROES:
336 points: Oldblood (light armour, shield, scimitar of the sun resplendent, maiming shield, bane head, spawnings of sotek/quetzl/tepok) [joins big saurus unit]
175 points: Scar Veteran (cold-one, light armour, enchanted shield, piranah blade, spawnings of sotek/itzl) [joins cavalry unit]

CORE:
70 points: 10 Skinks (scouts, blowpipes)
60 points: 10 Skinks (javelins)
60 points: 10 Skinks (javelins)

SPECIAL:
175 points: 10 Saurus Warriors (FC, spawnings of sotek)
174 points: 3 Kroxigars
260 points: 6 Saurus Cavalry (FC, jaguar standard)

RARE:
195 points: 3 Salamanders
270 points: 15 Saurus Warriors (FC, spawning of sotek and quetzl)

kroq'gar
10-05-2007, 09:26
mmm..

its good but beware magic.

also thats too many scouts

the maiming shield only gives +1 attack not with his item so the points are normally better spent elsewere, like a better weapon. Cloak of feathers is skink only. Piranah blade isnt the best choice.

Jaguar talisman is great for the lord, but watchout for magical destruction of your solo heros, with only 3 dice things arnt looking to peachy.

Give you saurus cav the blessed standard, then in your move march yourself to a flank and then use the banner to +d6 in your magic phase into there flank. They cant stop it.

you should also give you saurus great weapons, as with them you have the option of st 7 and thus auto destruction (this is the funnest thing i've ever done against tombkings).

eleveninches
16-05-2007, 15:56
piranah blade and bane head look awesome if used together on a scar vet for a charachter hunter. he only really needso to wound most charachters once to kill them outright

rinto_tinto
16-05-2007, 17:36
OK, firstly I'd take the Slann down to 4th generation as I make it a rule of my own to only get higher than 4th at 2500 points, if you are going to use temple guard you should use them in units of 16+ as you may need a fair amount of them to protect your Slann and otherwise I would use 18/20 Tlazcotl Sauruses. I would use 4 units of 10 skinks, allow 1 or 2 of these to be scouts. Stegadons are in varying opinion I personally would not use him but many people I know would, to replace him (If you are willing to) you could change those 4 kroxigors into 2 units of 3 kroxigors and some regular sauruses (with hand weapons as 2 points isn't worth 4 or 5 more attacks).

Some say Sauruses are too static but when they do finally get to enemy units (or more likely the enemy get to you), they will rip up nearly all opposition.

eleveninches
17-05-2007, 13:42
were you looking at the magic list or the revised (combat) list ?

Falcon
17-05-2007, 15:43
Hi eleveninches,

Your lists are starting to look good. I find Quetzl more usefull than Sotek on Sauri since they often end up taking a charge rather than charging themselves. Especially if you're in combat for a few rounds and since you have low I.

I like a scar vet with the cold one cav. Usefull for extra punch and also if you need to break off and engadge someting light on your own. As an example: for 182 pts you can have a Scar vet with Quetzl, light armour, shield, cold one and scimitar of the Sun.. S5 T4 6A Asave0+ on a cold one... Nasty

eleveninches
21-05-2007, 12:12
a 1k point version to start from:

HEROES:
174: Scar-Veteran (light armour, shield, piranah blade, bane head, sotek&quetzl)

CORE:
186: 13 Saurus (FC)
60: 10 Skinks (javelins)

SPECIAL:
264: 17 Saurus (FC, sotek)
70: 2 Terradons

RARE:
130: 2 Salamander packs

------

-Scar vet (as above)
+Scar vet (light armour, sword of might, maiming shield, sotek&quetzl)
-------

brambleten
24-05-2007, 20:40
hi, my favourite way of taking a scar veteran is:
scar vet 85pts
light armour 2pts
shield 2pts
great weapon 4pts
blessed spawning of sotek 20pts
blessed spawning of quetzl 15pts
charm of the jaguar warrior 20pts
aura of quetzl 30pts
total 178 pts. the scar veteran now has 5 attacks on the charge with 18" charge range, a 2+ save from shooting/mage, a 3+ save in combat, strength 7 attacks, a 5+ ward anainst things strength 5 or higher and 9" movement basic!

kroq'gar
30-05-2007, 12:39
maiming shield is a waste of time- its only your base st not the modified of your blade-better off getting a better weapon. Also you really need to let go of that parana blade- with it you are only st5, not capable of getting through any decently armoured hero. Your better of concentrating on ferocity and resorting to pummeling them. Saurus are not best when used in a challenge, but rather tearing through rank and file.

and get some saurus cav, they are better than kroxigors in most ways, and when you give them the blessed standard of heotl (i think its called) you can virtually promise a charge, potentially even in the flank.

EndlessBug
30-05-2007, 17:27
consider the blade which allows him to strike first, sure hes only str 5 but he can strike first against normal infantry, kill a few of them off, meaning the rest of your unit has less coming back at them meaning more attacks back after they hit. :)

the spawning of Sotek, although very nice in theory is not the best, you'll be taking the charge more often than not and so other blessings would be much much better.

also IMO swap sotek on your champ for tepok, gives you a little more magicy protection.

Terradon minimum size is 3. find a way to get another one.

2 salamanders is nice in 1k tho, 3 is overkill and 1 is not enough.

for the combat list - lose some skinks and bump the sizes up of the saurus blocks.

p.s. the pirana blade and bane head is SO pointless in 1000pt games 'cos no enemy charactert will have more than 3 wounds!

I'd drop a unit of skinks and give 1 of the others couts, also adding 4 saurus to your pool, make them into a unit of 20 without the scar vet and a unit of 14 with scar vet (so 15 in total) also change the mark of sotek to Quetzl, giving them a much juicier save against missiles and in combat.

kroq'gar
01-06-2007, 10:09
saurus infantry all together arnt that good.

i prefer core skinks, backed by cav and krox.

if i take a block its got quetzl.