PDA

View Full Version : Ninesword's Host of Tzeentch

Nineswords
27-04-2007, 18:40
I

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3162/2739803674_0902375bee_o.jpg

Models start on Page 2. Updated on 14.07.08

"Ah yes, the Nineswords. This most exquisite of Khaos champions came into my service through a divine confluence of fate, a cosmic event no doubt orchestrated by my lord and master Chen Chi-En. I have yet to discover the ultimate implications of our pact, but suffice to say, the Nineswords has been most useful in my ascension to the Cabal. My conversations with the Lord Kaldour has revealed many things, namely the fact that the Nineswords is not strictly of the stock of what you call The Old World on your maps. They say he comes from the lands of the far east or the west depending on your point of view - and to think there are many who actually think the world is flat! ha! - from the lands you know as Naggaroth.

Through the threads of what men perceive as time have I divined the truth of my warriors origins. The truth is far more delicious than the legends have you believe. This mortal, the Nineswords is not strictly an elf, nor is he a man, but an unholy union of both. It is as I understand it, the ultimate punishment in Druchii culture for a dark elf to produce offspring with one of inferior blood. In the case of Nineswords, he is a bastard child of a Druchii and a prisoner from depths of Ghrond's Dungeons. Of course, the human was sacrificed the moment his seed entered the elf woman, followed by the months of humiliation for the child to grow within the womb. Upon the birth of the mongrel child, the mother received her final absolution, whilst the child was blinded.

As is their custom the Druchii left the child for dead, and it was then the Lord of the Shifting Breeze changed the fate of our unfortunate friend and nurtured him into the most peerless of warriors who battles in the ranks of Kaldour's Knights, and ultimately into my service for the greater good of Chen Chi-En."

- Conversations with Hong Lián Jing

Hello. Welcome to my WHFB web log. So, after offloading the remnants of my Vampire Counts army I was intending on finishing for last years Carnage Tournament onto a friend, I have decided it would be time to start a brand new army to use over the course of the summer. This time around, I have picked an army that a. I love the background to and b. contains next to no models whatsoever. I think the title gives it away. Paint schemes and conversions and whatnot can come along later when I've decided exactly what I'm doing, but for this one, I've decided to up the stakes with my painting standard.

Don't expect me to update this very often, but I will as much as I can as the army progresses to a fighting force. Onto the list:

Hong Lián Jing, The Red Lotus Daemon
Sorceror of Tzeentch
Mark of Tzeentch
Jindoujing ("Cloud Daemon" - Disc)
Golden Eye of Tzeentch
Staff of Change
= 490 points

Nineswords, Herald of Kaldour
Exalted Champion of Chaos
Mark of Tzeentch
Armour of Damnation
Sword of Strength
Daemonic Mount
= 270 points

CORE UNITS
Kaldour's Knights
5 Chosen Chaos Knights
Musician & Standard Bearer
Mark of Tzeentch
The Blasted Standard
= 305 points

Brethren of the Withering Eye
12 Warriors of Chaos w/ shields
Full Command
Mark of Tzeentch
= 230 points

Full Command
Mark of Tzeentch
= 230 points

SPECIAL UNITS
4 Chaos Ogres w/ Musician
= 150 points

The Shimmering Legions
10 Horrors of Tzeentch
4 Flamers of Tzeentch
= 250 points

RARE UNITS
Firewyrm of Tzeentch
= 75 points

GRAND TOTAL = 2000 points
Number of Models = 36 models

So, maxed out characters and hard hitting units, and some Daemons to make things interesting. Predictably, not many models but thats good, it means I can acquire everything I need very quickly and there isn't much to paint.

More to come!

Edit: I've attached some Dark Elves I did to show the kind of effect I want for the armour plating on the Chaos Warriors, but I am going to go all out in making it look iridescent to fit the background fluff.

Boss_Salvage
27-04-2007, 18:52
Best of luck with the 'host,' and I like Chaos lists that are über-character heavy, especially Tzeentchy ones. Just one thing, can I perhaps persuade you away from taking Chaos ogres and into taking some OK ogres in your extra rare slot instead? 4 OK ogres w/ bellower are 140 points but get bull charge too ... but if you don't have the OK book or Chaos ogres come with something I can't remember, than more power to you. Maybe they have light armor or something ...

Good luck though, I look forward to the models!

- Salvage

Warwolt the skaven
27-04-2007, 20:00
IIRC the bulls are on the GW site ^^

Boss_Salvage
27-04-2007, 20:15
*mumbles that most any army can be gathered together from GeeDub, list postings and some simple math*

My point was that perhaps he has some personal reasons for taking Chaos ogres and not wanting to mess with DoW OK ogres, or perhaps there's some in game reason too (if they have armor, for example).

But aye, you are a tricky one Warwolt.

- Salvage

cerealkiller195
28-04-2007, 19:17
yes chaos ogres suck (model), minos do MUCH better and are worth the cost. DOW ogres are also useful over bulls because they are same cost more or less but can be equipped w/ great weps.

Nineswords
28-04-2007, 19:44
Well I was going to convert some OK Ogres to use as Chaos Ogres... I thought the Spawn takes up my only rare slot, using Beasts of Chaos Chaos Ogres counts as a Special Choice instead of rare. I have to check the book though.

Thanks for the feedback so far, I will look into using a Minotaur though....

cerealkiller195
29-04-2007, 05:00
yes they are also a special i believe. i like them because of a higher leadership (i always marked them slannesh) w/ great weapons in a group of 4. The best rule though is blood greed, because it will let them pursue 3d6 if an enemy breaks from combat

Holy Crap! Manticores!
29-04-2007, 14:43
yeah, I'm in the "Minos+MoTz" camp.

In concept, the idea of getting Ogres with hvy weapons and shield sounds good... on paper. Then you realize that a good opponent will either attack the Ogres with something that either reudces (higher S, certain items) or negates (spells, warmachines) armor saves.

Aside from that, that army looks like it could fun to play.

JT-Y
29-04-2007, 14:54
I thought the Spawn takes up my only rare slot...

Fortunately, in a 2k army you have two Rare slots to use:

1 Lord, 3 or 4 Heroes (only 4 Characters in total though, Lord or not).
3+ Core (with no maximum).
0-4 Special.
0-2 Core.

Could I be cheeky and ask you to change the text colour of your list please, Nineswords?
I'm dyslexic and can't read the dark letters at all well, so I'm sure others may struggle too, thanks.

Arhalien
29-04-2007, 14:58
Those Dark Elves look very nice and if the Chaos warriors will look that good I'll definitely follow this :D

Nineswords
29-04-2007, 20:05
Thanks for all your advice about the Minotaur. I'll probably end up using one (when I get home and get hold of my BoC army book), but I want to convert it from an Ogre Model since I like the OK Ogres. I've changed the text for JT-Y, I hope this is alright for you. And Arhalien, trust me when I say I will blow away those Dark Elves with what I have in mind...

Masque
29-04-2007, 20:56
My only suggestion for your army list would be to shell out the 3 points for your lord and 2 points for your hero to get shields. They're so cheap and so useful.

Caligula
29-04-2007, 22:17
Nineswords, while your painting is most impressive(to say the least), what's really got me interested in this is the background you've written. It's amazing, and very well styled. More please:)

I'll be keeping an eye on this one....

Nineswords
06-05-2007, 12:36
II

"My defection? You make me out to be some sort of common criminal found in the slaving pits of Heung Zhou. Xen Huong is a fool, furthering the stagnation of a long stagnated dynasty. The peasants believe him to be the divine Celestial Dragon reincarnated in human form, and yet the Emperor of Cathay is no more than a fat man who dictates Imperial policies from behind a veil at the courts of Wei Jin. He rejects any sort of change in fear that his iron grip over the greatest kingdom in the known world would weaken from mixing with outsiders. Look around you, for the Gods have allowed the mortal races to advance themselves in ways we could not conceive but for the Aethyr. We can now erect monuments that defy the mortal eye, build ships that can allow us to sail around this world and navigate it's seas and yet Imperial policy forbids us to mix with outsiders. I say once again that Xen Huong is a fool if he thinks his laws will stop the common merchant from trading with the Western nations. Cathay is in dire need of change and it is my destiny to bring it to the people of my homeland. If Xen Huong forbids contact with outsiders within it's borders then I shall seek out the rest of the world beyond Cathay with my lord and master Chen Chi En as my guide.

The seed of revolution is repression and they are not created, but are inevitable. The people of Cathay need to realise they are being repressed by their Emperor and replace stagnation with progress. You imply that I am a coward on the run from the Imperial Army, I am not! You imply that the Red Lotus clan are thieves and murderers. They are not! You imply that my cause is misguided and that Chen Chi En better serves those who serve themselves, you are wrong. My cause, my destiny, is shaped by the desires of Chen Chi En who is the enemy of stagnation, and I too, am also the enemy of stagnation. I am the champion of progress."

- Conversations with Hong Lián Jing

Small update. No models yet I'm afraid but I am getting together some modelling equipment, like a new Dremel and new paints etc. before I start doing some test pieces. I have reworked the army list several times and here is one I am happy with. I have given both Champions shields, which was some great advice that I had overlooked. I ended up ditching the horrors and instead went for a more Firewyrms (My general after all is a bad ass sorcerer who can conjure up more impressive daemons than mere horrors) and ditched the Ogres for a 5 strong unit of Minotaurs.

Sorcerer of Tzeentch
Mark of Tzeentch
Jindoujing ("Cloud Daemon" - Disc)
Golden Eye of Tzeentch
Staff of Change
Shield

Mark of Tzeentch
Armour of Damnation
Sword of Might
Daemonic Mount
Shield

CORE UNITS
Kaldour's Knights
5 Chosen Chaos Knights
Mark of Tzeentch
The Blasted Standard

Brethren of the Withering Eye
12 Warriors of Chaos w/ shields 180
Full Command
Mark of Tzeentch

Full Command
Mark of Tzeentch

SPECIAL UNITS
Wyrd Kin
5 Minotaurs
Great Weapons
Light Armour

RARE UNITS
The Shimmering Legions
3 Firewyrms of Tzeentch

Number of Models = 39 models

I miscalculated my orignal model list and it worked out around 48, I now have 39, which means less for me to paint! Hurrah! I figured the 3 Firewyrms would be a great fun thing to model and play with. Unit strength 9 with random attacks and movement, unbreakable and cause fear? Yes please!

Edit: I have revised some aspects of the list. I *could* drop a unit of Chaos Warriors, a Firewyrm and the Demonic Steed, and with the points buy an extra minotaur, and 16 horrors + 2 Flamers which brings it up to 45 models. Both stand at 2000 points.

- Nineswords

tenswords
10-05-2007, 21:55
Nineswords, while your painting is most impressive(to say the least), what's really got me interested in this is the background you've written. It's amazing, and very well styled. More please:)

I completely agree with this, you should consider submitting your writing to the Black Library. I'll look forward to you future updates.

Nineswords
10-05-2007, 22:44
I completely agree with this, you should consider submitting your writing to the Black Library. I'll look forward to you future updates.

Ladies and gentlemen, my girlfriend. Nice try Darling. x

whitemagikmarker
11-05-2007, 06:30
hahahaha, she's a keeper

crazywhiteboydance
11-05-2007, 09:00
Sorry to **** on your bonfire dude but your 2000pt list above. Whilest being fantastic the chosen knights are a special choice not a core.....sorry

Masque
11-05-2007, 10:06
Whilest being fantastic the chosen knights are a special choice not a core.....sorry

As far as I know this is completely untrue.

Nineswords
11-05-2007, 11:56
As far as I know this is completely untrue.

Yes I concur, it doesn't say anywhere in the book that Chosen Knights count as a Special Choice, merely that they give you extra advantages.

crazywhiteboydance
11-05-2007, 13:00
It's definatly there somewhere dude, sorry, I got caught out with it at a tourny! There's a passage somewhere I think it's in the army selection area prior to the list itself.

Calanduil
11-05-2007, 14:11
Think your thinking of Empire knights that becomes special choises when the become inner circle.
Chosen knights are allways core units in a mortal army.

crazywhiteboydance
11-05-2007, 15:49
Dammit I got disqualified in a tourny due that!!!!! :mad:

Oh well I'll know to be more of a stubborn bastard next time!!

:p

Darknight
11-05-2007, 16:18
Yes, sadly gone are the days when you could have a unit of Inner Circle Knights and a unit of Inner Circle White Wolves and three wizards as a 1,000 pt army . . . :)

That was my kick-ass force during the first few days of the Warhammer release - then then I simply went to a larger version of same! Must refine that a fair bit for the new army book . . .

On topic; Nice work, Nineswords!

Off topic; Good to see you again, mate!

Ninners
11-05-2007, 16:39
a Firewyrm

Whats a firewyrm?

The fluff is really great and juding by the painting on the dark elves the army is gonna look really nice!

crazywhiteboydance
11-05-2007, 17:02
A firewyrm is just a spawn of tzeentch. It's a standard spawn that has breath attack

Ninners
11-05-2007, 18:07
A firewyrm is just a spawn of tzeentch. It's a standard spawn that has breath attack

Oh, ok thanks, i dont know much about chaos :rolleyes:

JT-Y
12-05-2007, 08:10
IF you are using the Archaon's Horde list from SOC, THEN chosen are a special choice and the 0-1 is lifted.

IF you are using the Hordes list, they are core.

**** away, but RTFM first ;)

Something the ref at the touny should probably have done too...

Now, if you drop a unit of Warriors, there won't be enough core, which would suck, although I'd be tempted myself to go for Horrors and Flamers over Minotaurs, largely for aesthetic purposes, but also because Minotaurs are actually a bit pony for the points, 6 would be way too many (unless you split them to two units of three).

Nineswords
12-05-2007, 12:13
IF you are using the Archaon's Horde list from SOC, THEN chosen are a special choice and the 0-1 is lifted.

IF you are using the Hordes list, they are core.

**** away, but RTFM first ;)

Something the ref at the touny should probably have done too...

Now, if you drop a unit of Warriors, there won't be enough core, which would suck, although I'd be tempted myself to go for Horrors and Flamers over Minotaurs, largely for aesthetic purposes, but also because Minotaurs are actually a bit pony for the points, 6 would be way too many (unless you split them to two units of three).

Thanks for the clarification, I seemed to remember the Chosen Knights affecting the SoC list and not the standard list. I realised after I'd re written the list that losing another Warrior unit would leave me one core unit missing, so it's either the Minotaurs or the Flamers. I am still undecided as I have a great conversion for the Minotaurs in mind and a really interesting way to do the Horrors/Flamers. I'm currently leaning towards the horrors based on the fact that the Fire of Tzeentch with that kind of range gives me a great screen whilst maneuvering my other units into position.

Ok thanks for the feedback everyone, test models should start appearing the next couple of weeks all being well!

Nineswords
12-05-2007, 12:16
Yes, sadly gone are the days when you could have a unit of Inner Circle Knights and a unit of Inner Circle White Wolves and three wizards as a 1,000 pt army . . . :)

That was my kick-ass force during the first few days of the Warhammer release - then then I simply went to a larger version of same! Must refine that a fair bit for the new army book . . .

On topic; Nice work, Nineswords!

Off topic; Good to see you again, mate!

I'm moving back up your way, so I expect to see this list trouncing whatever you can throw at me!

Nineswords
14-05-2007, 19:54
III

"Hong Lián Zōngzú - The Red Lotus Clan - is a poison that seeps through the society of Grand Cathay. Records state that the official membership of the clan numbers around five hundred which is small compared to other cults that infest our lands. However, they directly or indirectly have control over many organisations from the criminal enterprises of the Dragon's Mouth Society in Heung Zhou to legitimate businesses throughout all of Cathay. We have evidence that also links the clan to trading ports in Man-Chu and Ido, one of the principle coastal cities of Nippon.

Most worryingly of all, an operation launched by the interior guard in Wei Jin has uncovered several mid ranking and high ranking officials that are either in, or have direct links to the clan, which by extension implies that indirect membership of the Red Lotus multiplies the size of the clan by over a thousand through association. Through this complex web, the Red Lotus clan harvests profits that rival the annual taxes collected by the Imperial government. What differs the Red Lotus from other criminal enterprises is that for the most part, the organised crime that is rampant in Cathay is concerned primarily with profits, which is achieved through undermining or circumventing Imperial policy, whereas the Red Lotus seek to destroy our Imperial dynasty entirely and cause anarchy throughout all of Cathay.

They are traitors to their nation and to their Emperor, his Excellency Xen Huong. My Lord has made it his personal quest to seek out and execute the renegade Hong Lián Jing, the head of the Red Lotus clan and with this act finally crush the clan from existence. Hong Lián Jing is the reason that this delegation of his Excellency Xen Huong has travelled to the Western nations. Our network of spies has traced this criminal to the lands of your Empire since he escaped the custody of the Imperial Army two years ago. It is no exaggeration when we say that he is one of the most dangerous men to blight Cathay in our history. He is a sorcerer of great power gifted by Chen Chi En, whom you call Tzeentch in your lands. Our delegation has conferred with your magisters, and our shared information has revealed developments of disastrous consequences.

It appears that upon fleeing Cathay, Hong Lián Jing has come into contact with the acolytes of the organisation you know as the Purple Hand, an entity comparable with the Red Lotus Clan. Our guess is that he intends to enter the Cabal of the dread sorcerer Van Horstmann, who is feared even in Cathay. Beyond this, we cannot speculate upon the intention of Hong Lián Jing's escape to the Western lands, but we can be assured that Cathay will lament the day that the combined plans of Van Horstmann and the Red Lotus daemon come to fruition."

- Translated dialogue of Imperial Commissioner Kao Shung addressing the Emperor Karl Franz

Alright, so I went and got some supplies today. Namely my first unit of Chaos Warriors and some new things I wanted to try out: acrylic mediums. The two I bought were a slow drying gel and a pearlescent medium, as well as some new brushes. I still have to find my electric drill and break open the box and add start cleaning up, but at this stage I will just be doing assembly. I'll be posting some test pieces tomorrow of a cloak I want to paint to try out some colour schemes. Here's is my workspace, currently with my bits box out. I like having spare bits, and I literally have a shoe box full of great stuff which I have accumulated and sorted out.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/Nineswords/Tzeentch/nineswords_workspace_a.jpg

I did some more fiddling with my list, and it's now looking like this: I ditched the minotaurs completely in favour of the daemons, as I have something great in mind for these guys modelling and painting wise.

Lord of Chaos
Mark of Tzeentch (Level 4 Sorcerer)
Jindoujing ("Cloud Daemon" / Disc)
Golden Eye of Tzeentch
Staff of Change
Shield

Mark of Tzeentch (Level 2 Sorcerer)
Armour of Damnation
Sword of Might
Daemonic Steed
Shield

CORE UNITS
Kaldour's Knights
5 Chosen Chaos Knights
Mark of Tzeentch
The Blasted Standard

Lord Kaldour has honoured the dread sorcerer Hong Lian Jing with an honour guard led by Kaldour's own herald, the Nineswords. They are peerless in combat, their ranks made up from once mighty nobles turned apostate.

Brethren Of The Withering Eye
Full Command
Mark of Tzeentch

Full Command
Mark of Tzeentch

Guardians of the Silver Towers, the Brethren are the mainstay of the Cabal's mortal warriors who fight in the name of Van Horstmann and Tzeentch.

SPECIAL UNITS
The Shimmering Legions
18 Horrors of Tzeentch
2 Flamers of Tzeentch

RARE UNITS
Immortal Guardians of the Ninth Hell
2 Firewyrms of Tzeentch

Summoned by arcane sorceries, the daemons of Tzeentch are the shimmering legions, gibbering terrors that leak magical flames created from the pure stuff of Chaos.

Number of Models = 53 models

Nineswords

Nineswords
15-05-2007, 16:46
I've been following the selective glazing techniques of Sebastian Archer and Allan C for those of you who are familiar with these awesome painters. Since I have no interest in winning a Golden Demon, I only had about 5 or 6 layers of paint on the helmet - I'm going for a mix between this kind of style and Jakob Nielsen, my favourite miniature painter. I just noticed the picture doesn't really do justice to the range of tones going on - there is actually a more reddish layer before the blue, I'll have to work on getting some better photos done when I have 3 warriors finished.

Nineswords

Edit: Anyone want to buy this off me? I need funds for this project! PM me if interested.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/Nineswords/imperial_fist.jpg

Arhalien
15-05-2007, 17:22
Ooohhh, that looks very nice :D

Does this mean we might start getting some pictures in this log rather than rules discussions? :p

Nineswords
15-05-2007, 17:30
Yes. My next post will be three completed(ish) Warriors. I need to order some resin bases from Microart studios.

Huckbuck
15-05-2007, 18:17
ooooh nice model! Cant wait to see the Chaos Warriors if they are of the same quality as that guy..

Nineswords
21-05-2007, 13:24
Alright, here is the first completed warrior. At some point I will have these shot properly, since the actual model looks a lot better than these crap photos. Enjoy.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/Nineswords/Tzeentch/Chaos-Warrior_1a.jpg

Nineswords
21-05-2007, 13:51
And another shot.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/Nineswords/Tzeentch/Chaos-Warrior_2.jpg

I'm using the Tzeentch warriors of the Raven Clan from Warhammer Age of Reckoning as inspiration, here:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/Nineswords/Tzeentch/ChosenImg_03.jpg

JT-Y
21-05-2007, 19:52
They look exceptional.

Very nice work.

Arhalien
21-05-2007, 19:53
Nice :D I really like the colour of the cloak and the extra sense of movement you;ve added to the model.

That is really good work :)

mrtn
21-05-2007, 22:28
Nice work!

Nineswords
25-05-2007, 14:48
IV

Ok some more updates. I got round to finishing another couple of warriors and assembling the rest. Once I have the entire unit done I'll get em shot properly.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3162/2739803674_9a3579fb08_o.jpg

Nineswords
25-05-2007, 14:53
Yesterday I met up with a friend of mine in London and he took me to Forbidden Planet where I picked up a signed copy of the new Dan Abnett novel 'Brothers of the Snake'. As ever, Abnett delivers and it's a good read!

I also got taken to a shop called Orcs Nest off Charing Cross Road, it's been around for 20 years now and has a large selection of everything Roleplaying/Miniature wise, except for anything to do with GW. However, whilst I was browsing the racks, I came across a paint range called 'Miniature Paints' (how pragmatic). I saw a colour called 'Blue Grey' and the tone matched the glaze I was mixing up of Fortress Grey/Lightning Bolt Blue (an old Citadel colour) and Desert Yellow. I have yet to try it out but I am sure it will work out fine and will save me a a lot of mixing and inconsistency in the long run - sometime this week I will also go back and see if I can find a colour that matches my original glaze for the armour. Painting guide below!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/Nineswords/Tzeentch/MP250507.jpg

As I have said before, I am working on a selective glazing technique which is now a common theme running through a lot of GD level painters, if you look at the top 50 on CMON you wilk know what I mean. In particular, Allan C (http://allanc.art.free.fr/) and Sebestian Archer (http://guildofharmony.com/index.html) come to mind, but also my favourite painter of all time Jakob Nielsen (http://www.jrn-works.dk/). However I am not GD standard nor do I wish to be, I just want something that looks good on the tabletop, so I basically cut out many of the steps in their way of doing things, but here is the basic colour guides:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/Nineswords/Tzeentch/First_Models.jpg

ARMOUR:
*Basecoat of Boltgun Metal
*A glaze of 1/3 Desert Yellow, 1/3 Terracotta and 1/3 Fortress Grey
*Apply twice, on the second time do a little less.
*Add Lightning Bolt Blue to the mix and apply in the recesses.
*Glaze of Boltgun Metal
*Now mix up 1/3 Desert Yellow, 1/3 Lightning Bolt Blue and 1/3 Fortress Grey (or the MP08 Blue Grey colour)
*Glaze

CLOAK:
*Codex Grey Basecoat over Black
*1/3 Desert Yellow, 1/3 Lightning Bolt Blue and 1/3 Fortress Grey (or the MP08 Blue Grey colour) and glaze in the recessess
*Add more Lightning Bolt Blue to the Mix and Glaze again
*Highlight with Codex Grey

GOLD:
*Boltgun Metal Basecoat
*Paint over with Shining Gold
*1/3 Desert Yellow, 1/3 Lightning Bolt Blue and 1/3 Fortress Grey (or the MP08 Blue Grey colour) Glaze
*Highlight with Shining Gold mixed with Mithril Silver

LEATHER:
*Scorched Brown highighted with Terracotta
*The darker parts are simply Scorched Brown shaded with a Brown/Black Ink wash

SKULLS:
*Desert Yellow Basecoat
*Chestnut Ink/Purple Ink Wash
*Bleached Bone Highlights
*Bleached Bone w/ Skull White to finish

FUR:
*Shadow Grey Basecoat
*Mix in Skullwhite and paint over
*1/3 Desert Yellow, 1/3 Lightning Bolt Blue and 1/3 Fortress Grey (or the MP08 Blue Grey colour) Glaze
*Highlight with Skull White/Shadow Grey Mix

BLOOD:
*Red Gore mixed with Chestnut Wash
*Add a little Brown ink

Revlid
25-05-2007, 16:47
Looking very nice!
I'll be trying this out on my fledgling Chaos army...

Also, the prepondrance of fluff and lack of models (up until now :o) led me to draw some concept sketches for the Spawn. The models may be already done, but I'll scan the sketches into a post a little later.

Arhalien
25-05-2007, 18:49
More fantastic work Nineswords :D Those cloaks are really very good :)

Stouty
25-05-2007, 19:38
It's looking really good. I love it! Only thing I would say is that somewhere on the model there needs to be a bit more contrast to that washed out blue. You could just do this with how you paint the base.

Maybe a tiny bit of gold lining?

Revlid
25-05-2007, 19:40
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l111/Revlid/scancathayspawnconceptyellow.jpg

There we are.
Let me repeat: Excellent concept, excellent fluff, excellent models.

Go forth and conquer!

Nineswords
25-05-2007, 22:01
It's looking really good. I love it! Only thing I would say is that somewhere on the model there needs to be a bit more contrast to that washed out blue. You could just do this with how you paint the base.

Maybe a tiny bit of gold lining?

I am actually going to invest in some resin bases I have seen advertised on Microart Studios - I am thinking about giving them a snow base with some really frosted looking grass but I gotta order these along with the custom movement trays. I feel it will give it a good contrast and merge well with the washed out blue.

There we are.
Let me repeat: Excellent concept, excellent fluff, excellent models.

Go forth and conquer!

Thanks for this! I already have a conversion in mind using flamer models melded in with the Nightbringer from the Necron Range, almost like a large flamer model but more sinewy, but looking at those sketches, I feel I could perhaps look at using stuff from the Lizardman or even the Tyranid range (a Carnifex comes to mind) with some warped limbs dribbling flames.

I also have a simple but effective conversion lined up for Hong Lian Jing, but that will have to wait a little while....

Thanks for allt he positive comments everyone, I really appreciate it, especially from the consistent forum members who keep on commenting, it's really driving me to work on these every day.

Darknight
26-05-2007, 04:56
I'm moving back up your way

Unless "up your way" is south eastern Michigan, we are not going to see each other, dude - I got married and moved :)

Anyway, this is all dead good, old chum - fantastic models and brilliantly painted. I think that your Nightbringer-Flamer concept would be about as sexy as my wife, and probably cheaper.

Luthien
28-05-2007, 16:07
yeah i reckon snow would suit the icy cool look of these guys, nice job :D

Nineswords
14-07-2008, 14:20
V

Hello again. It's been absolutely ages since I last updated this. Basically work got in the way amongst other things and I had to put down the paintbrush for the best part of a year. However, in the mean time I have been developing a load of background information regarding my characters - which is culminating in a series of articles going in the Watchman (the first of which will appear in the Watchman Issue 4). The premise for the scenarios is that of a narrative that allows you to link battles through all the games systems together - so for the first scenario we tried a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and in the second we will be playing Warhammer Quest. The idea is that you can set up scenarios using any games system to link them, so in my case I will be pitting my Tzeentch Mortals against my friend Chris' Empire army.

You'll have to wait until the Watchman Issue IV comes out to get a bit of the back story, but rest assured I have about enough to fill a small novel now...

Anyway, onto the pictures. I busted the paints out and assembled the rest of my first unit, with the base coats still fresh on some of them. I hope to get the rest of the army basecoated (awaiting the new mortal models to come out) so I can play whist filling in the detail. I hope to finish this first unit to a complete standard by the end of the summer.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/2738980453_83e9af4576_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3226/2738977275_eb8e0db664_o.jpg

Here is my general, Hong Lian Jing. If you read the thread up to now you get an inkling as to what he is about. I always had a Ming The Merciless mixed with Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China in mind when I thought of The Red Lotus, and I think I may just rip off the exact same colour scheme from the Ming action figure as reference, I think it looks awesome and just what my character is about. The conversion was simple, taking the new Empire Wizards and replacing the top of the staff with a Chaos icon from my bitz box, and chopping off the staff with the orb hand and repositioning the arm. Because I am terrible with green stuff, I will be handing this one onto a friend to sculpt a little more detail later this week.

Enjoy.

Edit: Yes, he is riding a disc of Tzeentch, using a Chinese coin I had a friend obtain for me for this very purpose.

mrtn
14-07-2008, 15:11
Welcome back, or something like that. ;)

Nice idea about the coin, and I also like the fact that you gave your musician an open helmet.

Nightsword
14-07-2008, 18:39
Hey, it's a bitch how much a year can make to your list innit? What's going to happen now you can't have daemons/beastmen? And, after a previous argument in this thread, chaos knights are now special! How times change.

Your warriors look very smooth, very nice. Good stuff.

Nineswords
14-07-2008, 19:01
I think the revisions are going to be great. I'm a total fluff nut, so I am going all out to basically max out the warriors. So hopefully, no marauders, no cultists, just warriors and knights. I can hear the cries of 'Cheeesus!' already but my primary motivation for choosing elite warriors is simply less miniatures to paint, rather than any tactical advantage.

sir_robin
16-07-2008, 21:12
love the armour on your warriors,nice job.

Revlid
18-08-2008, 00:24
I think the revisions are going to be great. I'm a total fluff nut, so I am going all out to basically max out the warriors. So hopefully, no marauders, no cultists, just warriors and knights. I can hear the cries of 'Cheeesus!' already but my primary motivation for choosing elite warriors is simply less miniatures to paint, rather than any tactical advantage.

If you ever get round to it, you could give any Marauders a more Cathayan feel and a red colour scheme, to tie them to the Red Lotus rather than Van Horstmann/Kaldour.

Also, while the coin is a neat idea, surely the Disc of Tzeentch is on a 40x40/50x50mm base, being a daemonic mount. I preferred the cloud daemon idea.

Astador
18-08-2008, 05:39
They're looking good so far! I'm excited to see more of your stuff.
Mixing colours to make glazes can be a pain, so I'm glad to see you found a colour that matches.
Luckily I live 45 minutes from Reaper HQ and their Master Series paints have pretty much any colour I would need for the stuff I work on, so I am slowly building my collection.

I'd suggest looking into it, they're real nice paints. :)

much2much
22-10-2008, 01:31
Two of those links for the painters don't work. They should be:
http://www.jrn-works.dk/
http://guildofharmony.com/