PDA

View Full Version : O&G 2000pts for review

Necrohexel
08-04-2005, 00:39
well i was hopin some one could help me out with my list before my 1st battle with the greenies :) i think it looks ok but always good to hear some advice from more experienced players. thx in advance

1 Orc Warboss @ 146 Pts
General; Choppa; Great Weapon
Drog's Dead Ard Armour [30]

1 Orc Big Boss @ 90 Pts
Choppa; Battle Standard

1 Goblin Shaman @ 105 Pts
Dispel Scroll [25]
Dispel Scroll [25]

24 Orc Big 'Uns @ 183 Pts
Choppa; Light Armour; Standard; Musician

24 Orc Boyz @ 125 Pts
Choppa; Light Armour; Musician

25 Orc Boyz @ 140 Pts
Choppa; Light Armour; Standard; Musician

28 Night Goblins @ 106 Pts
2 Fanatic @ [50] Pts

28 Night Goblins @ 106 Pts
2 Fanatic @ [50] Pts

5 Goblin Wolf Riders @ 66 Pts
Spear; Shield; Musician

5 Goblin Wolf Riders @ 66 Pts
Spear; Shield; Musician

19 Black Orcs @ 298 Pts
Choppa; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Full Command
Nogg's Banner of Butchery [25]

2 Goblin Chariot @ 134 Pts
Extra Crew W/ Spears

2 Goblin Spear Chukka @ 70 Pts

1 Goblin Rock Lobber @ 75 Pts
Bully

1 Goblin Doom Diver @ 85 Pts
Bully

1 Giant @ 205 Pts

Casting Pool: 3
Dispel Pool: 3
Models in Army: 187
Total Army Cost: 2000

Badgobbla
08-04-2005, 12:19
I would certainly bump up the units of Goblin Wolf Riders to 10 gobbos per unit, otherwise they'll be running off far too quick if they get some casualties from shooting or magic.
I would also see if I could put in another shaman, not only to be able dispell some more spells, but then you can also cast a few spells with a bit of certainty, which will be pretty hard with only 1 shaman.

Otherwise it looks pretty good, I'd say give the list a go and see what you like and what you don't like. I usually make an army that goes either magic/shooty-heavy or on that goes hth-heavy.
A problem you'll be having with your army is that you probably won't be able to get a line of sight to your opponent's units to use your missile units to full effect from turn 2 on (because your other units are running in the way). Or if you're lucky you'll have a mountain in your deployment area to shoot over your own models, but this rarely happens.

Black Ambience
08-04-2005, 23:41
This looks like a very solid list! I agree that the Wolf Riders need to be bumped up to 10 per mob for them to have any hope of achieving anything, but I don't think you need another Shaman. Three Dispel Dice is enough to hold off the most dangerous enemy spell, and the two Scrolls are your guarantee against monsters such as Curse of Years. By leaving it at just one Shaman you can afford the huge numbers you have here, which is one of the Orcoid's strengths. Besides, all your enemy's dangerous spells will be directed at the Giant and other threatening thiungs, letting the core of your force arrive unscathed.

Necrohexel
09-04-2005, 00:03
mmm ok, u guys think i should put the 2 units together to make 1unit of 10 wolf riders, or have 2 units of 10 wolf riders? to have 2 of them i have no idea where to get the pts for them :S

Badgobbla
09-04-2005, 13:10
I'd make 2 units of 10 wolf riders, then you are able to go over two flanks. As for the points to get them: I'd take down all your units of boyz to 20 each, that way you still have 6 units of 20 strong which is killer.

User Name
09-04-2005, 18:59
You could also give the wolf riders bows and keep the 2 units of 5 and just march block and harras insted of charge

Necrohexel
10-04-2005, 00:20
yes well my plan for them is actually more off warmachine hunting, and mage hunting. And hey if by any chance 1 of the unit survives clean, theyll even be usefull for some flank charges.
Orc units of 20 strong, i dont think that would work so nice.

Badgobbla
11-04-2005, 06:43
Well, I played some time with the following list and it was pretty good (bar some bad animosity rolls):
- 20 big uns with BSB
- 20 savage orcs with shaman
- 20 boyz with orc warboss
- 2 x 10 wolf riders
- 10 boarboyz with orc big boss
- 10 savage orc boarboyz
- 2 x goblin wolf chariot
- 1 snotling pump wagon

In this case 20 orc-strong units are more than enough to mop up everything that's left after the mounted units get their charge.

On the other hand if you have 20 orc-strong regiments, you will have lots of other units to take the pressure off your big units. I've seen lots of players splitting their fire to try and get as much panic test as possible, but this is not a good plan as you have too much units and not enough time to make em all run away.

warlord hack'a
14-04-2005, 16:33
Well as far as I see it you have a few problems: the first is Animosity. I always like playing with a Black orc general because of the quell animosity rule. And because they are rock hard in battle. So I would turn your general into a black orc one
Second, you lack leadership, thsi can be solved in two ways: get a Black orc general or a crown of command or get more savage orc units that have less Ld based problems.
Third, your ability to absorb a charge is limited, except for the fanatics and the threat that comes from the giant and the chariots. A lot of armies in a tournament will be faster than you and only one (the stunties of course) slower. So you will get charged and then your choppa strength will not help you either. So what can you do to change this:
1) get spears, if you get charged then the second rank can join the fight, and if you charge you can choose whether to use the choppas for +1 S one round long or use the spears to get extra attacks in subsequent rounds (always use spears against undead and other unbreakable troops)
2) get Savage orcs, they have two attacks per model !!!! Okay they have less armour save but I find most of the time an AS of 5+ is worth nothing since it gets negated somehow or reduced to a measely 6+. So my favorite unit: savage orcs! Off course the enemy can lure them away but you are not fast enough to have this as a major problem and if the enemy lets you charge and then flees so your charge fails then probably this means that he will charge you the round after. And let me tell you one thing: charging a unit of spear armed savage orcs is not a good careerchoice (4 attacks per front row model-2 attacks per killed orc will most of the time come as a nasty surprise to the other general, especially if the unit is a big 'un one...)
3) Upgrade (as suggested earlier) your units of wolfriders. Minimum for warmachine hunting is 8 models, for a close combat unit: 12 models. If you have 8 wolfriders next to your units then the enemy will not want to charge that readily as they will get charged in the side the next turn. And a unit of 8 wolves is often strong enough to kill the smaller fast cavalry units that the enemy comes up with so he will not be able to lure away your savage orcs

But for the rest it look okay, be very, very careful with your giant, it is formidable in hth but it is dead meat against warmachines..