PDA

View Full Version : House rule: Out-of reach charges

T10
04-08-2005, 12:37
In a different thread...

(...) it does say something in the rules however about having to be reasonably sure that any charges you declare are in range. how to enforce this though is beyond me! in my gaming group we have been known to pass house rules along the lines that if a charge is equal to or over 25% of the charge distance out then the unit stays put... no failed charge move, nothing. although it's not very realistic it's enough of a deterrent to never happen. (...)

This deals with the situation where a player declares a charge that is most likely out of reach.

A benefit from this tactic may be to get the unit out of the way of other units wishing to charge that turn.

I submit a suggestion for a house rule to counter such base tactics, inspired by enyoss.

"It's out of reach!"
If you opponent declares a charge you think is out of reach you may call him on it! Measure out the charge as normal.

If the target unit is out of charge range then the charge declaration is cancelled. The unit behaves as if it did not declare a charge that turn.

If the target unit is within charge range then the charge is worked oput as normal.

Use this to counter your opponent's attempt to gain an unfair advantage through exploiting the charge declaration order.

-T10

Atrahasis
04-08-2005, 13:00
What's to stop me from "calling him on it" for every charge?

PelsBoble
04-08-2005, 13:21
Ye there should be something to prevent abuse through calling him on it every turn. That way there would be no failed charges at all..

McMullet
04-08-2005, 13:45
Because then, he wouldn't have a failed charge. Ordinarily, a failed charge is bad, because it means you move forward a bit, and can't do anything else. If you call every time, even when the attempt to charge is genuine, your opponent gains because, whenever you're right, he can move his unit in another way, reform, shoot, or whatever. If you call every time, it's effectively the same as giving your opponent the right to free measurement. Thus, the rule "polices" itself.

I think it's a great idea, although the problem it addresses has never been an issue for me.

Crazy Harborc
04-08-2005, 19:49
Declaring a charge just to get a unit "out of the way"???? Um.....around here there's a rule about NOT declaring a charge if a declaring unit is partly blocked by a friendly unit or any obstruction. I want to say that's in the rules somewhere already?? Anyway that's the way my opponents do it.

enyoss
04-08-2005, 22:45
Cheers for the name-check T10 ;)

Crazy Harborc, there's another thread on 'Charging all at once..' in which the rules regarding charging have been pretty much dissected so you might want to look there for reference.

edit: sorry, it seems you have already found it!

The way the game's played in my group declaring charges in a specific order to clear the route is par for the course. I think I'll give this suggestion a try next time I play and see how it does although it'll probably take a few games for a suitable situation to come up... we're all gentlemen here!

cheers,

enyoss

mageith
05-08-2005, 03:01
I think this is an important point.

Scorba
05-08-2005, 04:00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrahasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magith

How about this:

They'll never reach us......

If you call your opponent on a charge that is in range, your troops have been caught unaware by the speed of the charge. The charging unit may add +1 to it's combat resolution in the first turn of combat.

Snoozer
05-08-2005, 10:11
To quote myself from the other thread:

Couldn't this be fixed with a house rule that failed charges are moved after succesful charges this way you can't do obviosly failing charges to get the unit out of the way.

Of course this would only affect friendly games and not tournaments etc.

what do you guy's think about that??

you don't need any fancy/complicated rules to stop people doing obvoisly faling charges just so that they can get their units out of the way, just move the failed charges after the succesful ones and wola he can't move units out of the way so easily.

:D

T10
05-08-2005, 10:34

McMullet said it the best:

Because then, he wouldn't have a failed charge. (...) Thus, the rule "polices" itself.

-T10

T10
05-08-2005, 10:38
To quote myself from the other thread:

(... Failed charges are moved after successful charges ...)

what do you guy's think about that??

you don't need any fancy/complicated rules to stop people doing obvoisly faling charges just so that they can get their units out of the way, just move the failed charges after the succesful ones and wola he can't move units out of the way so easily.

:D

Nice. It should work pretty well.

-T10