PDA

View Full Version : Wardancer Tactic

Simon23
04-08-2005, 12:39
Ok you need a wardancer highborn with the moonstone of hidden ways. Give him a retinue of 7-8 wardancers.
Your army would also require at least 4 levels of magic and importantly the call of the hunt spell.

Basic idea is to teleport to a wood near your enemy, then at the start of the magic phase you cast call of the hunt on them meaning you jump straight out of the wood. With 6 of the unit in BtB (inc. Highborn) thats 20 S4 attacks and 6 S5 attacks usually hitting on 3`s....Good way to shred those black orcs on turn 1. Though I`ll probably save the teleport til turn 2 when you can see what where your opponents heading.
Even if your call of the hunt doesn`t get through they`ll have to turn units round to deal with you, Unless they`re silly enough to sacrifice skirmishers to your wardancers :p

This could work with any unit as well, I`m thinking wild riders or an alterkindred with treekin would be funny. ;)

Falcon
04-08-2005, 13:27
It does sound like a good tactic if you can pull it off. On the other hand, you'll be sinking a lot of points into your plan, which will be lost if anything goes wrong or if you end up with not enough forrest on the board to make it work.

Come to think of it, you get 1 forrest to place. If there's another, either on your side or on the opposing side d it could work quite well. For less than 270 pts you can have a kitted noble and 7 wardancers that will, at the very least, cause a nasty surprize.

Does any1 know if you can teleport into a wood with enemy models? If so, does it count as charging?

Mazze
05-08-2005, 13:41
Hmmz...

just a quick question, are you allowed to move the wardancers 2d6 with the spell even tho the item specifically says that you are NOT allowed to move any further that turn?

Xavier
05-08-2005, 17:43
It doesnt say you may not move any further, It says it is used at the end of the movement phase.

So magical moves would be ok, so yes they can move the 2D6

mad dog
06-08-2005, 05:30
It could work pretty well - except I will roll double 6 for casting the spell follwed by snake eyes for the 2D6 movement.

Zeb
06-08-2005, 06:24
But why use the "transport"? Wardancers is skimrishing anyway, so you could defenately get them inside the battle line of your opponent and then cast the spell. And that will probably mean that you can afford to roll lower on how far you charge.

And a decent player will stay clear of forests when playing against a WE army since there is two spells that can cause damage iot the spell list if they are to close to a forest...

proximity
06-08-2005, 07:38
But why use the "transport"? Wardancers is skimrishing anyway, so you could defenately get them inside the battle line of your opponent and then cast the spell. And that will probably mean that you can afford to roll lower on how far you charge.

hes looking at attacking turn 1, or turn2 at the latest sort of thing..

vs a big enough army, they may have no choice to at least deploy near a forest, though they will get the fark out of dodge asap.

Zeb
06-08-2005, 08:14
But if he doesn't get a IF it's useless, snce there will be a scroll present. And a to attack in the seccond turn, you don't need to have the teleport thingy, since you have a 20'' move before that (10'' first turn, 10'' seccond) and a possible 2D6 in the magic phase.

I just think its better styff to give the Wardancer Lord for more or less the same point. Since you can only teleport once, I really don't like it that much.

And a smart opponent will scroll the "Wild Hunt" and then use Lore of Life on the unit (if he have an oppotunity to take it).

Just my input. ;)

Jericho
07-08-2005, 07:48
Any tactic involving getting an all-important spell through on turn 1 is bunk IMO. You have no way of guaranteeing you'll even roll the spell, and if you do the enemy will undoubtedly scroll it once he sees how devastating the spell's gonna be.

Simon23
07-08-2005, 10:10
My take was getting the spell off is a bonus, the real treat is the fact you have a very dangerous unit + killing blow character in your enemies lines from turn 1, ready for a turn 2 charge. Its not all that many pts for the lords retinue (120-odd for 7) and IMO it would be well worth the disruption to your opponents lines as he`d have to turn to protect his flanks at least. This will give more time for your archery to reap units.
I haven`t decided whether to go for the suicide charge, hold a unit then flank with cavalry in the 2nd turn, or whether to wait for general line engagement in turn 3 then use the wardancers for rear/flank charges. I think it`ll depend upon the opposing army and whether theres going to be many mages, missiles around.

Everence
08-08-2005, 08:50
Hmm, suicide charge would be better off with a noble? Highborn would do better with the main bulk of the army wouldn't it? Because really, the only thing you are missing out on is the extra 50pt of magic items and +1A. Just like what Falcon was saying.

Just my opinion.

Crazy Harborc
09-08-2005, 00:59
Placing a woods (diameter 6"max), on the Woodie's side/half of the table plus is only for a Pitched battle. Actually, that can cause a lot of anguish for an opponent. IF you do OR don't actually use the one-shot only toy to teleport. Best bet is to hope for a woods on the opponent's side to reappear inside of.