PDA

View Full Version : Fleets or squadrons?

CaptainSenioris
28-04-2007, 23:40
Hey everybody, I just wanted to get a feel for the A.I. community's opinion on whether they are collecting Squadron's or fleets?

The term 'fleets' seems too navy to me so I prefer to use squadrons, leave fleets to BFG.

Gandhi
28-04-2007, 23:54
They are called Fleets because the Imperial pilots are members of the Navy =P

orangesm
29-04-2007, 00:29
First off you are wrong Gandhi...
Any modern Navies with an air component have Wings that contain Squadrons. The Aeronautica Imperialis book even says that the Imperial Navy has Squadrons. (Pg 38 description of the brown aircraft).

If someone would like to collect an Imperial Fleet of Thunderbolt aircraft you would be collecting somewhere in excess of 100,000 (in the really low range) aircraft. A modern example is the USAF has over 2000 F-16s in its F-16 fleet.

Squadron is not actually the best description of what most people will actually collect. Most people are actually going to collect what Airpower strategist term a Package. A Package consist of a collection of aircraft grouped together to perform a particular mission. So if you built a package of Thunderbolts and Marauders for a particular mission those aircraft may not be assigned together the next mission.

Gandhi
29-04-2007, 03:34
But it's assumed that these squadrons are a part of a larger fleet, isn't it?
It's like saying you are collecting squads of infantry, when it's actually an army. Yes, they are squadrons, but in the grand scheme of things they are part of the Fleet. So neither of us are wrong,we're just looking at different parts of the picture.

orangesm
29-04-2007, 06:29
They may not be part of a fleet... they may be defensive wings stationed on an important planet. A navy fleet may also have multiple wings and air forces in it. Once again if anyone is building a fleets worth of aircraft they are going to have a huge number of aircraft. They may have aircraft from through out a fleet included in their packages, so yes eventually there is an admiral in charge, but immediately under would be the Air Forces Commander.

Gandhi
29-04-2007, 06:32
So then there really is no right or wrong answer =P As it all falls down to the fluff the collector writes for his/her group of aircraft then.

Gen_eV
29-04-2007, 14:47
So then there really is no right or wrong answer.

There is a right answer for me:
An Air Cadre ;)

As for any Imperial forces I may eventually be doing, I'll be calling my overall army an Air Wing, I just like the feel of that phrase. I'll have a number of separate squadrons in my overall force, of course.

Tyra_Nid
30-04-2007, 01:27
But it's assumed that these squadrons are a part of a larger fleet, isn't it?
It's like saying you are collecting squads of infantry, when it's actually an army. Yes, they are squadrons, but in the grand scheme of things they are part of the Fleet. So neither of us are wrong,we're just looking at different parts of the picture.

Good point, actually. We describe a 40k force as an 'army' even though its not really large enough for an army in most cases, merely more a skirmish size, or a platoon or two.

orangesm
30-04-2007, 02:06
An army normally refers to a group of ground forces taking part in a particular conflict. An army depending on the time period could be a company size force (Dark Ages) or contain millions soldiers. Oddly enough the size of a Fantasy Army is appropriate for the battles taking place and the 'time' period taking place, this lead to the size of 40k games, roughly the same as fantasy.

A fleet normally refers to ships, 2 ships can be a fleet.

A flight, squadron, or group are normally used in reference to formations of aircraft.

The generic term for everything would be "Force List".

greenmtvince
30-04-2007, 05:59
Well, if you really think about it. Squadron is orignally a Cavalry term. A Battalion of cavalrymen was a squadron broken down into Troops (Companies.) When the airplane came into military use, it was originally used and organized along the lines of the fast moving Cavalry scouts.

Interestingly enough. There's some US Army Regulations from the early 20th Century that talk about how "Pilots will not wear their spurs while flying an aircraft." and the like.

Although, I'm in the group that says we have Armies for 40K, Fleets for BFG, and Wings or Squadrons for AI.