PDA

View Full Version : Toastie142's attempt to paint (catchy title)

Toastie142
29-04-2007, 12:16
Hey there

Well seeing as Nemesis Crown is just around the corner ive decided to try and get my Talabecland Empire Army finsihed and as well as getting some eldar ,chaos ,orcs n gobbos and anything else i feel like painting done.

Please dont leave me without feedback

ok , so the only fully painted model for my empire is the limited edition wizard from the army deal. However it's in the display cabinet at my local GW cos i won the painting comp there :D

however i do have some slightly painted knights and ive done the horse armour so here's some pics

Arhalien
29-04-2007, 12:30
Looking quite good. I;m not too sure about the red and yellow of the barding; on a whole unit it may just look too cartoony. The photography is too blurry though to see that much.

However, the colours you're using so far look nice and strong, especially as they're over black.

Best of luck getting this all painted. I'll be watching :)

JonnyTHM
29-04-2007, 12:38
Maybe it's just a North American thing, but if I see red and yellow on something shaped like that it makes me think of an old McDonald's awning or something else associated with the food chain.

Perhaps consider going red with yellow details or something more along those lines rather than large alternating swathes?

On the other hand, it does still look nice (in particular good work with yellow and red over black).

Toastie142
29-04-2007, 12:43
I was thinking it would look cartoony but part of me doesnt want to go with the regular knights. My army is really proud of coming from talabecland and want to show it at all times so i'll finish the armour on the horse and decide if i'll keep it or not. Thanks for comments so quickly. I've got big exams in 2 weeks but will still try to get more minis done but after 29th May ive got all summer to paint and maybe more minis

Toastie142
30-04-2007, 16:59
Just wondering , do people think i should paint the knights armour red n yellow too or other colour, anything but silver or gold, i dont like metallics except for swords.

Also my friend gave me an avatar so as soon as i get it undercoated im gonna paint some of it

Arhalien
30-04-2007, 17:50
Hmmm... I don;t like the idea of the red and yellow armour, not at all really. If you don't lioke silver or gold what about bronze? Failing that, the only non-metallic armour that I think looks at all good is black with some patches of metal showing through (black orc paint scheme).

If the army scheme was anything but red then painting the armour a metallic version of the main colour would work, but red is the one colour that can't really be mixed with silver and look good.

Hope this helps :)

Toastie142
30-04-2007, 20:33
Well i think ive come to a good mixture, red and gold mix , tell me what you think. Two pictures , 1 closer up and 1 to see it against horse armour.

Also a picture of an eldar guardian, i think i might do a heavy weapons platform after my knights.

Also i should be getting my Wizard back on Saturday or Sunday so you can see it.

Arhalien
01-05-2007, 12:36
Hmmm....

Still a bit meh on the red and yellow combination. It's nice and bright so well done getting that tone over black, but I'm not too keen myself.

Toastie142
01-05-2007, 20:17
ok , so while im thinkin about my empire knight scheme ive decided to start painting some eldar. However i also decided to pick up a nice new librarian, dont know what army to paint it so i think it all blue. Tell me what you think of the shoulder pads as its my first shot at NMM and i still need to wash with brown ink.

Toastie142
02-05-2007, 19:38
Ok i see people have lots of feedback to give.

Anyway I came up with two army lists. 3000 points of Empire and a 500 point Gray Company for Lord of the Rings.

Ill post them later but i intend to get all mini's for them soon. I have the majority of the empire and one model of the LOTR although may just get a new one

N810
02-05-2007, 19:46
perhaps it would look better with a thin black line seperating the yellow and red?

Toastie142
02-05-2007, 19:49
@N810 , now you've got me thinking. I shall paint the next one like you have suggested put the 1st one and the new one up and see what one people think look best

Arhalien
03-05-2007, 16:46
The librarian is looking good; that blue is nice and strong. The shoulderpads look a bit flat to me, although that may just be the photo.

There are several areas on the banshee that the spray has missed; it's generally a good idea to go over those with a brush before starting to give yourself a good consistent base from which to paint.

A good way to do the photography is to set up a good background in front of which to take the photo. One which is popular here is a graduated blue/white sheet of paper. There's a link floating around in Spikyjames' general log and DeadleyHeadley's 40k project. Put your modelk on the white area and then prop up the sheet against something, creating a curved background. Then set up the camera on a tripod or at least something solid. Turn on the macro function (usually a flower), turn off the flash, make sure the area is well lit, an angle poise lamp is good. Take the picutre, making sure that you have it zoomed out fully and about 12" from the model.
This should help. For more information have a look at the link in the sticky in M,P and T.

Hope that's useful :)

Toastie142
03-05-2007, 17:06
It is the photo , ill look for the link in the logs you mentioned. Thanks for all feedback so far especially Arhaliens as hes commented on everything so far.

Anyway tonight im going to try to finish my first Knight but i need to get studying aswell because i have exams in a week.

Arhalien
03-05-2007, 17:12
Best of luck with your exams when they come, but make sure to do some painting as well :p (for relaxation of course ;)).

Toastie142
03-05-2007, 17:34
I tried that with my mum but she says, "your not taking this seriously enough and your going to ruin your life"

But if i get 7A's i get 500, a mega paint set, a new case and a lot of models.
So i hope i get 7A's :D

Plus as its white dwarfs 30th birthday my stores giving away 1000 worth of stuff so im going to be trying to get a lot of that.

Toastie142
03-05-2007, 19:06
ok, cant be bothered doing a knight, so ill put it up to a vote.
tonight to i paint either: my librarian or my empire general (mounted)

Arhalien
03-05-2007, 19:08
Hmmm...

Don't like Marines so Empire General it is :)

Toastie142
03-05-2007, 19:26
will check back in half an hour because arhalien cant control my log and i want to see more people leaving feedback.
Empire General 1
Librarian 0

Toastie142
03-05-2007, 20:02
ok empire general it is

Toastie142
03-05-2007, 21:11
Hey ,well done some work on the general, ive done the red armour mostly and the horse legs, just got to do yellow and the details

nkicik
03-05-2007, 21:14
Haha, super late vote for the librarian. I want to see him finished!

Edit: Boo 3 mins too late

Toastie142
03-05-2007, 21:18
Tell you what nkicik i'll get the librarian done tommorow after the general.
Anyway what do people think of the general so far.
Does the paint look to thick?
Is it highlighted ok?

nkicik
03-05-2007, 21:25
The red does look a little thick on the horses head but I hate working with red, it always comes out like that or blotchy for me, the rests fine though. The horses legs etc looks really nice as well.

Toastie142
03-05-2007, 21:36
I was thinking more towards the legs on the armour , i think the angle of the head makes it look thick plus it was just given an inking

nkicik
03-05-2007, 22:03
It's just the first pic where it looks thick not the second angle so maybe it is just how the model is positioned. It looks fine on the leg amour as far as I can tell.

Arhalien
04-05-2007, 12:30
That's looking nice Toastie, although the red does look a bit blotchy in places.

Toastie142
04-05-2007, 19:11
Well, today was my last day of school before exams in a week.So i get study leave and can take relaxtion breaks to paint mini's.
Anyway ive been continuing with the empire general and have most of the undercoating done.
Just need to highlight the red, ink it, undercoat yellow on his armour, highlight all yellow, ink it, paint his face and paint horses head and highlight.
Anyway heres some pics, as usual all c+c welcome, please give me more feedback than one poster.Anyone know how i can get more attention for my log?

Arhalien
05-05-2007, 09:23
Not bad. Some of the paint seems to ahve some black showing through but I presume that'l be covered up with the other coats of paint.
What colour are you painting the main armour on his body as that appears to be still black?

Generally with project logs you just need to persevere and you should eventually get noticed. A link in your signature is always useful to let people know that you have a log going, but generally it's just a matter of letting people see that you're serious about the log and that it won't just die.

Don';t get disheartened about it though! :)

Toastie142
05-05-2007, 11:52
The main armour is going to be split done the middle, half red, half yellow

Also I managed to pick up a Death Jester this morning, so i cant wait to paint that, although i feel like just painting it all diamonds.What do you think?

Toastie142
05-05-2007, 18:39
Well today ive painted an ogre bull today, just while i was waiting for yellow on the general to dry.

What do you think?
Is the quality of the picture better or worse?

Arhalien
06-05-2007, 10:12
The pics are looking a lot better :)

The flesh tone on the Bull is looking good, although the mould lines on the arms are a bit glaring. Nothing you can do on that model but in future I'd spend time scraping them off with a craft-knife or file (something I've only started doing recently ;)). It's a bit of a pain but does make it look a lot better.

Nice work though :)

Toastie142
07-05-2007, 08:22
sorry about no updates yesterday, it was my cousin's birthday.
Today, if i get the chance im going to try to finish both the bull and the general. I dont know what to do on the bases! I might stay with my empire armies snow bases and im open to suggestion for the bull.Does anyone know if i can still use ogres as "dogs of war" for my empire army?

Arhalien
07-05-2007, 09:08
Ermm... The Dogs of War thing is a bit of a tricky one at the moment. The books used to have a slot saying Dogs of War in them but both O+G and Empire don't. I think that this may be because something is being planned for DoW but no-one knows. I don;t think anyone would have any problems, but I;d search through the rules forum as there have probably been some debates about it there.

I think snow bases would look good; a nice contrast to the bright warm colours of the armour.

Toastie142
08-05-2007, 16:02
Long time , no updates. Ive only got some more of the general done because i needed to have a tidy-up. Heres pics of my current work area and the room thats soon going to be my work area.
Plus some more pics of the general, but need to go oer some bits because the lance fell of and i scratched them.
What do you think?
Please can i have more posters than just Arhelian! I want to know what more people think.

Arhalien
08-05-2007, 16:17
Erm, where are the pics? :p

Toastie142
08-05-2007, 16:35
oops forgot
the pics for the work area arent working properly so ill take other ones and they'll hopefully work.
anyway this time there is actually pics

Arhalien
08-05-2007, 16:42
The pictures are a lot better :)

Some of the yellow and red look a bit patchy in places. Are you using the new foundation paints or not? If not it may be wise to get Mechrite Red and Iyanden Darksun when they come out individually as they'll make painting the red and yellow a lot easier. The lance and some areas of the horse seem to suffer the same problem.
The laurels on the top of the lance look nice though. :)

I'm still unsure about the colour scheme for the armour but I won't go into that ;)

Not bad work :)

Toastie142
11-05-2007, 17:15
well my first exam was today so ive been studying instead of painting, but ive managed to paint most of my orcs n goblins troll and had my first shot at NMM
what do you all think?

Arhalien
11-05-2007, 19:02
The skin tone's looking nice as is the head of the thing he's holding.

Any pic of finished models though? It would be nice to see what some of this stuff eventually turns out looking like :)

Best of luck with the rest of your exams :D

N810
11-05-2007, 19:32
you seem to be getting better,
you paint need to be a little thiner,
and you drybrushing need to be a little dryer.
(less paint on the brush)

the NMN on the statue head is looking good.
but the helmet still needs work.

but all in all you are stedly improving.
keep it up.

Toastie142
13-05-2007, 12:03
Well only need to paint the trolls base, so its practically completed
and i got my empire wizard from the store cabinet so ive got pictures, also got pictures of two autarchs, ones a normal one, but i gave it a cooler sword and ones limited edition one from army deal.
What do you think?

Toastie142
13-05-2007, 12:22
stupid warseer, wont let me upload more than 4 pics

Toastie142
13-05-2007, 12:30
heres the pics of the troll

Arhalien
13-05-2007, 13:13
The mage looks nice, although a bit messy IMO; there appears to be some chipping on the red robes. The flames at the bottom could also do with a bit more defiinition IMO.

THe autarch conversion looks nice :)

The ltd ed Autarch has the problem of it not all being black initially and also looks a little bit messy. The red looks fantastic though :D

The falcon looks to be nicely painted although don;t you think there are a few too many colours on there? :p

There seems to be a bit too much black showing on the troll to me; is he still WIP? If not, then that does need work.

Keep it up! :)

Toastie142
17-05-2007, 12:09
well, sorry for the lack of updates but ive had three exams in a row, so i've had to study hard, however ive got a few days off now and tommorow im going to GW and trying to finish 500 pointd of empire