PDA

View Full Version : Acolyte of bli'l'abs Void-dragon necron army..

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
29-04-2007, 13:34
Ok, iv wanted to do this for years. Firstly ill say, im not very good at painting, I only got back into 40k about 6 months ago, but iv tried my hardest to improve as much as I can. I've been trying to attempt more simplistic but good-looking colour-schemes in the hope I can get something at least average out.

First ill post one of my "Storm destroyers", still needs some more green-stuff work but you get the idea :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/Stormdestroyer.jpg

and secondly ill post my "Shamblers" :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/Shamblers.jpg

again, they still need much more work, but you hopefully get the idea what im trying to do.

Later today ill post photos of the Void-scarabs, Tomb-guardians and the semi-painted Dragon-lord.

Encouragement and constructive critisism would be nice, but please dont be too harsh. I know im not very good at this stuff compared to some of the amazing artists on here.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
29-04-2007, 13:36
army list for it will be :

HQ :
Dragon-Lord (with lightning Orb and Thunder-shield)

Troops :
5 Necrons Shamblers with Lightning-Guns
5 Necrons Shamblers with Lightning-Guns

Elites :
3 Necron Tomb-Guardians (with staffs of light and Hammers)
3 Necron Tomb-Guardians (with staffs of light and TBC)

Fast Attack :
4 Void-Scarabs
4 Void-Scarabs

Heavy Support :
3 Storm-Destroyers
2 Obelisks*

* The Obelisks are going to be nearly completely scratch-built, iv got two metal boxes I bought from Maplin and two Monolith green-crystal sprues for them, the rest of the model will probably be a mix of green-stuff and polystyrene/plasticard parts.

jasevx
29-04-2007, 14:28
Whats the background on these, Maybe because I'm not a necro player but I'm a little confused!

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
29-04-2007, 14:29
not got much at the moment, but in the war in heaven there are mentions of super powerful necrons with lightning weapons.. its based on the forces of those..

Forces Of The Void-Dragon :

While The Dragon sleeps, his thoughts and dreams spread out throughout the galaxy influencing the minds of humans, and cults arise. Sometimes his thoughts of wanton destruction are so strong that small fractions of his necrons are able to awake from their 60-million year old slumber and the Dragon-lords of these small groups lead their shamblers across the galaxy to cause destruction against the blasphemous living that now inhabit the stars like a cancer to the galaxy, waiting impatiently for their master to finally awake.

HQ :

Dragon-Lord

The Dragon-Lords were the most feared troops in the war in heaven. Their large metallic wings flying them into combat surrounded by a shield of living lightning and electricity that would destroy all in its path. The Dragon-Lords carry the devestating Lightning Orb, a machine of such power it can charge all of the necrons surrounding it with unspeakable amounts of power making them indestructible soldiers on the battlefield. The Dragon-Lords also carry a Nova-Staff, a powerful weapon that makes even the dreaded Staff of light look weak in comparison.

Troops :

Necrons Shamblers

Shamblers are the terrifying Necron Warriorsand vanguard of the Void Dragon itself. Armed with lightning guns and scaled armour they are a terrifying sight to behold on the battlefield. Their lords charge them up with blinding electrical energy making them unstoppable in battle. The Shamblers represent the ultimate troops of the Necron threat. Allthough only a few thousand of these are currently awake it is more than enough to cause destruction across hundreds of worlds.

Elites :

Necron Storm-Guardians

Storm-Guardians are the keepers of Dragon-Tombs. They appear from the ground welding a staff of light and lightning claws ready to attack and destroy their enemy in close-combat, a wailing noise surrounds them as if they are partially on another plane of existence and their gleaming lightning blue eyes look upon the enemy as they slowly walk towards their intended targets. The Storm-Guardians are said to be the very guards of the C'tan The Dragon itself, their powerful aura able to make the most sane man run for his life.

Rusted Ones

Rusted Ones are ancient immortals which have contacted a strange Rust disease which has bulked them over the millions of years till they become a nightmarish golem of living-metal and alien-rust which work together to make the Necron ten times more powerful than before, but with the terrible price of it being insane. The Rusted Ones
have to be controlled by warriors to stop it from turning on its own kind, but once on the battlefield they turn into ravaging berzerkers which are unstoppable in their thirst for the destruction of all flesh.

Shoggoths

The Necrons have always had access to a higher dimension through which they are able to teleport back and forth from tomb-worlds to battle and also travel long distances with their ominous ships but this higher-dimension contains the mighty Shoggoths. Forgotten from the war in heaven, these monstrosities were never activated and simply left in the higher-dimension unactivated for millions of years. It is possible for the Dragon-Lords to summon these behomoths into battle, to finally give their forgotten brethren the battles they never had.

Fast Attack :

Void-Scarabs

These Scarab variants are larger and more destructive than their smaller brethren. These pure robotic constructs can be easily manufactured to make up a cheap way of destroying the enemies heavy support with a small price. The Void-Scarabs will attach themselves to heavy armoured vehicles or troops then blow up taking the vehicles and troops with them.

Heavy Support :

Storm-Destroyers

Storm-Destroyers are the Dragons own variant of the awesome Destroyer skimmer. They carry a heavy lighting cannon which can blast away all in its path, they glide across the battlefield representing the storm of the dragon itself, their metallic wings and scaled robotic armour causing fear to all who are unfortuanate to witness their ancient sight.

Obelisks

The Obelisks are light attack vehicles compared to the might monolith but are armed with the stronger Lightning Whip instead of the Particle Whip. The blue gleaming crystals stretch out the lightning energy burning through the enemy-lines and melting through armour.

The Laughing God
29-04-2007, 14:50
This is awesome!
I really like the storm destroyers, they're going to look so cool in a squad. I like the shamblers to. How are you planning on basing them? I'm really looking forward to seeing how the obelisks turn out since I want to do one for my necron army.

Good luck, and I'm going to be following this thread closely

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
29-04-2007, 14:53
Thanks, I appreciate that, its encouraging to know someone finds this project interesting :)

Ornithoticus
29-04-2007, 14:55
interesting idea, im subscribed :D

The Laughing God
29-04-2007, 15:01
its encouraging to know someone finds this project interesting

Who doesn't like necrons who shooting lightning out of their guns?:D

Are the lords wargear the same with different names? Or are they completely different?

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
29-04-2007, 15:08
I want them to be completley different really, i have plenty of ideas but writing rules has always been a weakness for me. The tomb-guardians themselves will have staffs of light, so they will be the equivilent of "mini-lords" so to speak. The dragon-lord will be the centre of the army, their strength and their weakness alike.

The Laughing God
29-04-2007, 15:15
:evilgrin:
The tomb-guardians themselves will have staffs of light

That's a marine killer squad:D
Looking forward to seeing more of the army, and I really want to see that Dragon Lord.

jasevx
29-04-2007, 15:50
Thanks for the explanation, subscribed!

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
29-04-2007, 16:13
well, finally got some more piccies taken today... so heres the first few :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/TombGuardians.jpg

Heres the first squad of Tomb-guardians, partly undercoated, still need some more green-stuff bits to cover the imperial stuff in their axes.. I tried to give them unstable Zombie-like poses to show them as the shambling ancient guardians they are meant to be.

Here is the Dragon-Lord currently :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/DragonLordFront.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/DragonLordBack.jpg

he still needs his lightning orb, and improved painting. His right foot is standing on a Lizardman head btw :D

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
29-04-2007, 16:14
SCARAB ATTACK!!!!!

heres the two squads of Void-Scarabs I have :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/VoidScarabs02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/VoidScarabs01.jpg

tried to make them look like their coming all over the place, over terrain, out of holes and around rocks and plants ect...

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
29-04-2007, 16:15
And finally, here are some better shows of the Shambler Squads..they still need alot of work too!

Squad 01 :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/Shamblers01Front.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/Shamblers01Back.jpg

Squad 02 :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/Shamblers02Front.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/Shamblers02Back.jpg

The Laughing God
29-04-2007, 16:18
That Dragon Lord is awesome!
I like the void scarabs a lot, they're the old style one right?
And are all of the Tomb-guardians all from the old Necron lord model?

Merceus
29-04-2007, 16:21
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/VoidScarabs01.jpg

Those are cool... but are they're only meant to be 1 per base? and can we get a close up of that torso from the top left model? It looks very cool...

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
29-04-2007, 16:23
Those are cool... but are they're only meant to be 1 per base? and can we get a close up of that torso from the top left model? It looks very cool...

yeah, I ordered the larger bases by accident :P so I had to make them look cool with the terrain..the torso is from a c'tan I never finished, a failed sculpturing experiment you could say...

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
29-04-2007, 16:24
That Dragon Lord is awesome!
I like the void scarabs a lot, they're the old style one right?
And are all of the Tomb-guardians all from the old Necron lord model?

Yup, their one of the old-style ones, there were two made, but I only liked that one as it had a very Stargate Replicator look to me.

the tomb-guardians are a mix of old lord Heads/staffs and warrior bodies with some marine terminator bits added..

The Laughing God
29-04-2007, 16:27
How did you get all of those old Lord models? I want to get one but I can't find them anymore.

What wings did you use for the dragon Lord? They look like they would work on my winged hive tyrant.

Merceus
29-04-2007, 16:28
well either way its still cool... how come you never finished it though?

EDIT: I'm also wondering what some of these things count as...

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
29-04-2007, 18:19
well either way its still cool... how come you never finished it though?

EDIT: I'm also wondering what some of these things count as...

thanks! It was meant to be the outsider, but I didnt think I could do him justice and "turned c'tan" for something more innovative.

and, im still wondering that myself :P would like to release a mini-dex online though eventually..

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
29-04-2007, 18:20
How did you get all of those old Lord models? I want to get one but I can't find them anymore.

What wings did you use for the dragon Lord? They look like they would work on my winged hive tyrant.

The wings are from the warhammer Blood Dragon, the heads and staffs are from the Classic necron section on the site :
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301200&orignav=301117

cool thing about old models, is once they are replaced or outdated, they can be used for completely new things :)

Easy E
29-04-2007, 18:43
It's great to see someone getting creative with the Necron fluff!

cerealkiller195
29-04-2007, 19:23
for the scales on teh warrior weps, get very small balls of gs and put them on, with anything but your thumb press them on onto the gun. Takes awhile since you want overlapping scales but worth it in the end.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
29-04-2007, 19:42
thanks for the tip, ill try that out :)

Ornithoticus
29-04-2007, 20:48
you could try some of the scaling methods ive used on my capes and standard on the last couple of pages of my plog:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45149

ill be hapy to give a tutorial if you want one

Ironspy
29-04-2007, 20:59
These look like they'll turn out great Bli'lab.

I'm not sure if this has crossed your mind in terms of lore, but the "Void Dragon" is actually a C'tan that lives in Mars. Is this what you're going for? The Void Dragon actually is said to have created most of the technology behind the imperium and is the "machine god" that the Adeptus Mechanus pray to. He doesn't control any Necron, just the machinery of the Imperium (which is far cooler).

The army you're currently doing doesn't really play into that theme, so if you don't want any overlaping lore you might want to rename the god you're using.

I could be mistaken though!

NightLord
29-04-2007, 21:51
Very cool. I am just starting on my necrons that have been sitting around forever. I really like your army so far. The staffs of light squad is way to powerful =p.

The Laughing God
29-04-2007, 22:27
The staffs of light squad is way to powerful =p.

Yeah you would have to make them be worth a lot of points.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
30-04-2007, 04:35
@Ironspy,

I'm pretty sure the Void-dragon has necrons too, they are just asleep..well msot of them ;)

on the staffs of light squads... because their "master" isnt actually awake..he's just on mars, I decided that will be their weakness so their overal power will be diminished.. decided they'd only be "godlike" with the dragon fully awake and "well fed", otherwise its only his dreams and thoughts that give them some of their power.

and yeah, im sure the overal fluff could do with more detail..but thats a long-term project

thanks all.

The Laughing God
30-04-2007, 11:38
Did you firgure out what the strength of the shamblers is going to be? I want to try out this list and see how it does, just for fun.

Still a very cool idea,

-The Laughing God-

El Presedente
30-04-2007, 11:46
Its not every day you see a themed necron army, keep it up.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
30-04-2007, 17:18
@The Laughing God,

Honestly, I barely can keep up with the amount of projects I have sometimes, lately its been pretty hectic so no :( and last night I had another cool idea for a 40k army so iv been writing fluff around that (their creatures that live in black-holes). I have WAY too many projects :P

@El Presedente,

Thanks alot, ill try and make the painting look rubbish hopefully so itll look good :D

The Laughing God
30-04-2007, 19:38
Well I might give it a shot writing some rules for them. If I finish them I'll send them to you if youd like.

I've got nothing better to do, and it seems like fun.

-The Laughing God-

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
30-04-2007, 20:29
That would be awesome and appreciated, would give you credit in the codex then too. (OT : working on your battle-song tommorow)

The Laughing God
30-04-2007, 20:41
Ok, I'll start working on that;) , but could you give me the list of units you want in it. Such as shamblers, Obilisks, ect.

EDIT: Sorry I saw the units on page 1, but was wondering if there any other units that you want added? I should have made that clearer.

(Thanks and looking forward to seeing the song.:))

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
30-04-2007, 21:09
Nope, thats pretty much ALL the units I thought up, allthough the Shoggoths, admech cultists and Rusted Ones probably wont be in it till I extend it to 3000 pts.

Problem iv been trying to work out is how the Lightning Orb "charges up the troops" though, any idea ?

Rabid Bunny 666
30-04-2007, 21:13
perhaps +1S and T?

The Laughing God
30-04-2007, 21:15
Problem iv been trying to work out is how the Lightning Orb "charges up the troops" though, any idea ?

Why not just use it the same way as the orb but it reaches out to 12" instead, but make it more points? Also what Rabid bunny 666 said is also a good idea.

I have been working on your dex and already have the Dragon Lord, and the Rusted ones done. Next are the tomb guardians and so on.

Also I don't know what types of wargear you want? Could you give me some names, I'm really bad at making up names:rolleyes:

Thanks,

-The Laughing God-

Luthien
30-04-2007, 21:21
once a game the lord could smash it and every cron unit in 12 iches gets a strength bonus for that turn maybe

The Laughing God
30-04-2007, 21:24
I have an idea for another peice of wargear you can use it once a game and would cost a lot of points, but what it does, for that turn, every necron on the board gets a 3+ Invulnerable save.

Also for your dex do you want WBB? Or mabey you want FNP, I don't which one.

Luthien
30-04-2007, 21:28
noooo you cannot do that the 'crons would be ******* indestructable

The Laughing God
30-04-2007, 21:38
noooo you cannot do that the 'crons would be ******* indestructable

For a 100pts? If not what about a 4+ Invulnerable

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
01-05-2007, 05:09
lol, necrons are practically indestructable anyway :P *cough*phaseout*cough* :P

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
01-05-2007, 05:40
oh and heres another pic of my Dragon-lord I took under different lightning/settings :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/DragonLordOld.jpg
not sure if it looks better or worse than the others...

Tommorow I need to head into GW and get some inks (dark blue and dark green) then I'll see about giving all the models painted up so far a wash, because I do highlights.

p.s. still need to make his lightning orb (which will go in his left hand)

El Presedente
01-05-2007, 08:36
I think you might want to spend a little more time on the green stuff, at the moment it just looks like... well, green stuff.

If you want to give it the look of scales then you might want to try getting a pin or fine knife and criss crossing it in a dimond pattern.

other than that its jolly good.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
01-05-2007, 09:15
yeah, im still learning to sculpture and I definitly intend to add more bits to it to bring out the detail. I appreciate the crit :)

The Laughing God
01-05-2007, 11:39
How are you going to model the nova staff on him?

Blue ink looks good, It makes every thing nice and shiney. It comes out darker then it appears though.

The codex is coming along too, I should have it finished soon.:D

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
01-05-2007, 16:29
@The Laughing God, thanks man I really appreciate you doing the rules for me..full credit of course in the finished PDF codex too of course :) im sure you'll do a better job than I ever could of.

Luthien
01-05-2007, 17:42
what inspired you to do the warriors guns like they are

The Laughing God
02-05-2007, 19:51
Are you still going to make the Dragon C,tan? Or convert him, that torso that you did looks really good.

-The Laughing God-

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
02-05-2007, 20:42
yeah, its still C'tan the void-dragon.. dont think the c'tan should be in the game though as he's too powerful.

inspiration for the warriors guns ? I dont know actually, I was just thinking of ideas for how to "dragonise" the necrons and thought making their guns look like dragon-heads would be cool.

Luthien
02-05-2007, 21:27
i meant why make em so large but meh the dragon idea is justified as is everythin' else o' course its your amy after all

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
08-08-2007, 02:16
well, for the few of you who appreciated and supported this little project..im back and intend to finish it off! been away for several months trying to sort out my personal life and now im back in a better frame of mind and a more positive/open minded one at that! and hopefully more inspired this time. I'll try and make sure I can get new pics within the month to show you how far iv come and to see if you think my crappy painting skills have past "rubbishmode" yet :)

hallowed_are_the_ori
08-08-2007, 02:30
Interesting concept

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
08-08-2007, 03:02
thanks fellow Ori fan!

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
08-08-2007, 08:53
Well, I started modeling the storm-destroyers, but they need alot more green-stuff work to look any good :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/Stormdestroyer.jpg

and a small group photo ;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/Artwork01.jpg

The Laughing God
08-08-2007, 19:13
I'm glad the log is back!
I really want to see how the army comes out.

Waiting for updates....Hurry UP:D

-The Laughing God-

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
03-09-2007, 21:41
Finally got back into this project after being inspired by other peoples necron armies. So heres more of my amateurish painfully bad painting for all to see :

Tomb Guardians squad 01 :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/VoidDragonNecrons_TG01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/VoidDragonNecrons_TG04.jpg

Destroyers :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/VoidDragonNecrons_TG05.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/VoidDragonNecrons_TG06.jpg

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
03-09-2007, 21:47
And a few more eye-sores in the close-up dept :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/VoidDragonNecrons_TG03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/CYRAX/VoidDragonNecrons/VoidDragonNecrons_TG02.jpg

ok, I dont think they look too bad considering my awful painting skills lol

The Laughing God
04-09-2007, 00:21
The Tomb Guardians look cool, and so do the destroyers. The painting isn't bad I like the rusty gold look on em.

The destroyer look cool too, I like the blue lighting coming out.

Acolyte of Bli'l'ab
04-09-2007, 05:35
Thanks bro, that means alot coming from you since your the one that did those amazing Hivefleet gorgon minis!