PDA

View Full Version : Annulian Crystal question

D-Archangel
29-04-2007, 15:07
how does the High Elf Item Annulian Crystal work with the new rules for Power Dice?

do I get to pick which mage I get the Power Dice from, does my opponent pick, or do they come from the general Power dice pile?

larabic
29-04-2007, 15:17
I would say it comes from the armies power dice

The Old Scholar
30-04-2007, 02:18
Yes, I agree, the army dice pool.
I used it against some ogres the other day and I have to say I would've rather had the Staff of Sorcery. +2 to dispel rather than snaking a power die... Having the extra dispel die gave me false confidence. Oh well, I lost again...what else is new?
Can't wait for the new book...

Tutore
30-04-2007, 12:54
I think that the crystal is still more powerful than the staff of sorcery. It gives you a bonus and gives the enemy a malus. Extreme.

T10
30-04-2007, 14:14
I don't know about Italian, but the Latin "malus" isn't really an english word. "Penalty" is the common antonym of "bonus".

-T10

DeathlessDraich
30-04-2007, 14:45
While we're on the subject,

Would the Crystal work against Tomb Kings?

When I encountered this, I suggested a dice roll because of the interpretation of "pile of Power dice" in the Annulian Crystal rules but I'm more inclined to say it works against TK.

It could refer to the 'Power Dice Pool' which TK has 2 or the Power dice of a wizard of which TK has none.

How have you played this?

ZomboCom
30-04-2007, 15:00
Against tomb kings, it would take a dice from the common power pool of 2. This would in no way affect their spellcasting, but would leave them with only 1 dice for dispelling remains in play spells.

enyoss
30-04-2007, 15:33
Against tomb kings, it would take a dice from the common power pool of 2. This would in no way affect their spellcasting, but would leave them with only 1 dice for dispelling remains in play spells.

Yup, that's the way we play it.

Cheers,

enyoss

Tutore
01-05-2007, 22:09
I don't know about Italian, but the Latin "malus" isn't really an english word. "Penalty" is the common antonym of "bonus".

-T10

You are wrong. Bonus and malus are LATIN words, each opposite of the other one. Thus, the opposite of bonus is malus. I don't know if english language doesn't support this, I'll check it. But latin is latin. Bonus is latin.

Atrahasis
01-05-2007, 22:16
But latin is latin. Bonus is latin.No, bonus is English. It was originally Latin, but it is naturalised into English. Malus is not. If we were talking Latin then you would be correct, but we aren't.

In any case, you communicated your point and thats what language is about :)

Tutore
02-05-2007, 06:45
No, bonus is English. It was originally Latin, but it is naturalised into English. Malus is not. If we were talking Latin then you would be correct, but we aren't.

In any case, you communicated your point and thats what language is about :)

Interesting point of view: "naturalised into English". Anyway in Italy the word "bonus", which isnīt "naturalised into Italian" but a pure latin word, is opposed to "malus". Sure I know now that there isnīt in english the opposite of "bonus", you must use "penalty", "handicap" or whatever.

Vattendroppe
02-05-2007, 11:55
I'd say that it goes from the army pile, yes. Alike with the TK, seems logical.

And as for that language fuss; bonus may be latin, but it's still english. Malus is just latin. And, the discussion as whole is kind of OffT.

EvC
02-05-2007, 13:20
If you have to speak Latin, put it in italics, otherwise you're just trying to sound smart but being lazy about it :p

Does the principles for the Annulian Crystal also apply to the Sneaky Staff of Stealing?

Tutore
02-05-2007, 13:30
Both objects have the same functions.

If I sounded hostile, I beg pardon, I didn't want to. I thought both words were also english, as I am accustomed to use both.