PDA

View Full Version : Titan's 40K Painting Log (Black Templars Until Further Notice)

Pages : [1] 2

titan136
01-05-2007, 03:50
Hi all,

This is my first real progress log here. I've noticed that keeping logs seems to help a lot of people stay motivated when painting. Hopefully this will work for me as well.

I'm starting off small, going to try to complete about 750 points of Black Templars in the next two months. Then we'll see where it takes me. I'm going to try to paint these to a high-end tabletop standard

So starting off, here's the stuff that I've already got:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/boxes.jpg
Assault Terminators Box, Space Marines Commander Box (for a Marshal), Black Templars Upgrade Box

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/bases.jpg
Pre-made resin bases (bought from an Australia eBay store called Back-to-Base-ix: http://stores.ebay.com.au/Back-to-Base-ix) They have a wide selection of pre-cast resin bases and are quite reasonable in price) I received them yesterday and haven't really had a chance to go through them yet, perhaps later in this log I'll provide a review.

I've got another Marine Battle Force coming to me in the mail, but it should take a couple of weeks.

----------------------

2 Hours Later...

Alright I've built the Marshal up with bits from both the Commander Box and the BT upgrade sprues. I'm equiping his with the basic PW + BP combo as I'll only be playing smaller games with this army (I've got about 2k of painted ultra marines already but wanted to try out an assault based marine army)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/marshal_assembled.jpg

Review of Back-to-Base-ix Bases

Selection:
These guys have a huge selection of bases for both the 40K and Fantasy ranges in all sizes (20mm, 40mm, etc...).

Here are some pictures of the bases I bought (from their site, i have not yet painted mine):
http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/93/07/bdfe_1_b.JPG

Quality
The bases are well cast (vacuum cast i believe) with no air bubbles and the details are pretty good. They look exactly like what they show on their website. What you see is what you get.

Actual Use
Once you receive the bases, there is some flash left over from the resin molds, you're going to have to clean them off with a knife. The residue from the casting molds is also still left on the bases. Make sure you clean them with soap and water before trying to prime or paint.

Customer Service
Great communication from the owner of the eBay store. Anytime you have a problem, simply message them and they're glad to help. They've won me over with their openness and friendliness if you can't tell already.

Overall
Personally, I hate basing miniatures. It takes too long and i hate scrounging around for all the materials it takes to make a good base. Pre-cast resin bases are the answer. You can easily get enough for a medium sized army for less than $50. I haven't had too much experience with other pre-cast base companies, but from online comparisons with epicast and another (it was european company) you're definitely getting great value with B2B

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Back-to-Base-ix

Thats it for day 1...keep me motivated guys!

BodhiTree
01-05-2007, 03:59
Nice posing on the Marshal. :) I have a big soft spot for the Templars and they're on my extended 'to-do' list, which is a little less than 8 miles long. The bases are quite nice.

HisGracetheDuke
01-05-2007, 10:23
Those bases look good mate, your commander great, looking forward to seeing more :)

Strelok
01-05-2007, 10:29
I really enjoy the pose of the marshal, he looks quite good. Also, the bases seem a good buy, but I actually love making my own cityfight bases and such. However, they do seem to be very nice for those who don't want to fiddle with making their own bases...

hiveminion
01-05-2007, 10:29
I love the pose of that Marshal, very cool. I like it how you did a review on those resin bases, should be very helpful to people interested in buying them. Keep up the good work!

Maarten
01-05-2007, 10:32
Yeah, the bases are quite nice. May have to try them myself for "centerpiece" minis. Can't wait to see your BTs fully painted up :)

Nife
01-05-2007, 10:44
Nice looking start there - good review of some very nice bases as well.

:)

ss_cherubael
01-05-2007, 12:48
Very nice start there mate.
The marshal is a very nice mini, i find that the simple sorts of conversions are sometimes the best. Also thanks for the review of back to base ix as i was thinking about buy a whole stack of stuff from them but was unsure if they were a decent company, so thank you very much.
I will keep my eye out here as i have my mates Black Templars to paint at some point and this log should help me stay ,motivated and give me some ideas. Cheers!

titan136
01-05-2007, 13:18
Hey all, thanks for the comments. for those of you who had considered purchasing some of the bases, i would highly recommend that you give them a try. orders over $20 AUD are shipped for $10 anywhere in the world for a flat rate i believe.

Here's some progress with the marshal. The previous pic i posted was just bluetacked together. I had to keep the parts seperate to paint the inside of the cape because I was looking to do a little freehand on the inside.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/marshal_WIP1.jpg

One thing I've found when painting this guy is that its really difficult trying to paint black. I read over the methods that GW had on their website and tried combining a toned Black with a few extreme highlights. the point was trying not to make the black look grey.

Here's some further progress:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/marshal_WIP2.jpg

still debating on whether to do some freehand on the outside of the cloak and if i should do scriptures of the armor? let me know how you guys feel about scriptures written on power armor

ss_cherubael
01-05-2007, 14:11
feth me sideways! thats bloody fantastic mate!

If the free hand on the outside of the cape will look as good as the free hand on the inside i say go for it!
as for litanies on armour, well im not the biggest fan because i can always tell they are just white lines, and they never seem to me to look anything like writing but with skills like those you may be able to change my mind.
That is one very very cool marshal keep up the good work!

jasevx
01-05-2007, 14:13
Amazing work, yes go for it with the freehand.

hiveminion
01-05-2007, 14:56
Wohohow! Fantastic work, loving the freehand on the cloak! Black armour really is hard to paint but you're doing a great job (better than I do anyway...) The red on the Templar cross is amazing, how'd you do it?

As for scriptures on armour, just make sure you don't overdo it. Drowning a model in detail is never good, but a little litany here or there can really add something to a model. I would suggest finishing the model first, and then deciding if some freehand somewhere would look good.

stormtrooper154
01-05-2007, 15:16
Really nice work so far. What are the mixtures/colours you used for highlighting your black armour?

Strelok
02-05-2007, 00:40
That templar is AWESOME. As for litanies, I'm a huge fan, and I don't think any self-respecting BT would go without at least a few books written on his armor. I don't know if I have a pic posted, but I have some litanies scrawled on the BT I did for my DW squad, mainly on the scroll on his right shoulder. I'm very happy with how it came out, an effect I'm sure you can duplicate based on your work above.

titan136
02-05-2007, 06:14
as for litanies on armour, well im not the biggest fan because i can always tell they are just white lines, and they never seem to me to look anything like writing but with skills like those you may be able to change my mind.

Drowning a model in detail is never good, but a little litany here or there can really add something to a model. I would suggest finishing the model first, and then deciding if some freehand somewhere would look good.

As for litanies, I'm a huge fan, and I don't think any self-respecting BT would go without at least a few books written on his armor.

looks like litanies are a go, but i'll take hiveminion's advice and go a little further with the model before adding them just to be safe. will also be doing some minimalistic freehand on the outside of the cloak.

hiveminion: The recipe for the red templar cross is as follows
1) basecoat black
2) mix 50-50 blood red and black and coat
3) 20-80 blood red and black, paint raised areas
4) highlight with blood red
5) finer highlights with 70-30 bloodred and bleached bone, this gives a sort of orange pink color which i find accentuates red pretty well.

stormtrooper: the black was fairly basic. started out with chaos black, added progressively more and more codex grey to the mixture and a final extreme highlight of pure codex grey

thanks for keeping me on track guys, i should have something to show you guys by tonight.

Zealot
03-05-2007, 00:08
Titan, you had better be updating this project log more often than you were updating the one on Bartertown! I love seeing your work!

titan136
03-05-2007, 01:25
hey Zealot, good to see you here. yes yes, the BT log has gone down the drain...but here's an update on the marshal:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/marshal_WIP3.jpg

Decided to keep the freehand on the back of the cape a little more minimal, the legs aren't really anything exciting but at least now the basic colors are done i can start adding in some details.

BodhiTree
03-05-2007, 01:37
It's gorgeous work. :) Maybe it's the lighting, but you might be able to neaten up the rim on the sword arm shoulder pad, the front, I mean. There seems to be this funny little wisp in the highlighting.

titan136
03-05-2007, 01:39
Yeah BodhiTree, that little wisp is actually from a small chunk of plastic that got lost when i was removing the shoulder pad from the sprue lol...that'll teach me to use such large side cutters...

BodhiTree
03-05-2007, 01:41
I know your pain all too well. :( I swear the plastic has gotten softer since I started all those years ago. If the rest of the army looks like this though, well, I'll just have to finish something soon to play against it.

Strelok
03-05-2007, 06:06
The freehand looks excellent. Unfortunately, I have to freehand celtic knotting along the hem of the cloak of my inquisitor, which I'm not looking forward to. Hopefully it comes out like yours.

Cpt_NinjaPants
03-05-2007, 06:23
Wow, one of the nicest painted Templar i've ever seen.

stormtrooper154
03-05-2007, 08:44
Very nice Templar you have there. Cant wait to see the Terminators done.

ss_cherubael
03-05-2007, 14:23
very very nice mate, the back of the cloak is awesome and not overdone good work! hope to see more painted stuff soon!

skidrow
03-05-2007, 15:29
Fantastic job on your Marshall. I have been thinking about getting some of those bases for a while but after seeing how good they look with models on them (even unpainted) I am definately going to give em a try. Keep up the great work. This army should look stunning when it's finished. :)

titan136
04-05-2007, 04:06
Thanks for the comments guys :)

I know your pain all too well. I swear the plastic has gotten softer since I started all those years ago. If the rest of the army looks like this though, well, I'll just have to finish something soon to play against it.

yeah u'll have to shoot me a pm and let me know where you play in Toronto. i'm back in canada in a couple of months (in australia right now) maybe when we're fully painted we can meet up for a game...personally i don't know too many gamers myself.

The freehand looks excellent. Unfortunately, I have to freehand celtic knotting along the hem of the cloak of my inquisitor, which I'm not looking forward to. Hopefully it comes out like yours.

man i feel for ya, i can't even do celtic knotting on a piece of paper with a pencil...let alone with a brush on a mini

here's more of an update:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/marshal_WIP4.jpg
here's him with some litanies added on, i think i might have gone a little overboard...and i managed to finish the banner today as well:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/marshal_WIP5.jpg
that just leaves the base and the powersword...any suggestions on colors? i'm thinking enchanted blue built up to white

ss_cherubael
04-05-2007, 05:20
My god this just keeps getting better, that is possibly the best Marshal i have ever seen. The litanies are perfect and that banner is ace, i know im coming off sounding like a bit of a fan boy but i cant help it, thats perfection.
As for the sword blue sounds like it would work well with th rest of the mini, always a fan of the coloured power swords the plain old silver doesnt look important enough.

Strelok
04-05-2007, 05:56
Excellent job. The litanies are not overboard at all, and indeed look quite good. The blue up to white for the powersword sounds good. I think you should paint lightning bolts arcing up the blade as well.

hiveminion
04-05-2007, 08:35
I so totally love that banner! The white stripe really brings the templar cross forward nicely. The litanies are fine, not overdone at all, you painted them exactly on the places where otherwise a flat, one-coloured surface would've been (shoulderpad, kneepad, purity seals).

As for the powersword, might I suggest something not too contrasting? It depends on what you have in mind for this army, but I think the model as it is really represents how Templars are in fluff, dark, gothic. In fact the scheme is very John Blanche, so if you like that, blue is not the way to go. Simply metal, or a glowing red would tie in perfectly with the current scheme, in my humble opinion.

Still, go for what YOU think looks cool!:)

Pekel
04-05-2007, 08:42
Gorgeous work! I think a purple would work best for the sword, instead of blue. No matter what you do it'll probably be brilliant... that's honestly got to be one of the best BT I've ever seen, if not the best.

Aemos
04-05-2007, 09:43
wow, really digging that model. fantastic paint job and freehand. how are you planning on doing th bases?

Strelok
05-05-2007, 03:10
Oooh, glowing red (hiveminion's idea) is actually a better idea to keep the model dark. As he said, blue might be too bright and spoil the look of the model. Instead a red top to white or yellow might look quite good. However, I still stand by the lightning idea of mine, I just really like it if it's done well (exactly why I have never tried it).

titan136
05-05-2007, 08:08
thanks for all the kind words guys!

As for the sword blue sounds like it would work well with th rest of the mini, always a fan of the coloured power swords the plain old silver doesnt look important enough.

yeah i've never been a fan of GW's plain metal powerswords, although i suppose they're more realistic looking...

Excellent job. The litanies are not overboard at all, and indeed look quite good. The blue up to white for the powersword sounds good. I think you should paint lightning bolts arcing up the blade as well.

I think the concept of crackling energy might work better for powerfists and thunderhammers (which i have planned for the terminators i'm doing after the marshall) but i always imagined the powerswords and lightning claws needing to be more sleek, like they could cut through air instead of having to smash stuff. I'll definitely keep the concept for my termis though

As for the powersword, might I suggest something not too contrasting? It depends on what you have in mind for this army, but I think the model as it is really represents how Templars are in fluff, dark, gothic. In fact the scheme is very John Blanche, so if you like that, blue is not the way to go. Simply metal, or a glowing red would tie in perfectly with the current scheme, in my humble opinion.

I honestly never even thought of doing it red but now that you mention it it would have been a great idea. i've been away from the comp for the last couple of days, i already went with the blue, wish i woulda caught this sooner...ah well a little contrast never hurt anyone i guess....also i kinda wanted all the power/plasma colors to be the same.

wow, really digging that model. fantastic paint job and freehand. how are you planning on doing th bases?

just going with a simple base, grey stone, brown sand/mud/dirt. i would add stuff except i have no basing materials around me.

alright...here's the more or less finished marshall. i really wanted to do some OSL from the powersword, but chickened out at the last minute
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/IMG_0248.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/IMG_0249.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/IMG_0250.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/IMG_0251.jpg

I'm putting this badboy up onto Coolminiornot so if you're so inclined, please vote for him:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/157440

hiveminion
05-05-2007, 08:33
I have to say I'm still not very fond of the sword but that's not important because that's me being...well, me. The sword's handle doesn't fit in with the light blue, perhaps object source lighting could have made the two blend into each other more.

I don't really like to vote because one man's 7 is another man's 9. I think expressing your opinion in words leaves no doubt so I'll say this model rocks.:)

Aemos
06-05-2007, 10:51
hey, thats looking really good. the only thing i would suggest is that you paint the studs on his neck protector thingy, so it draws more attention to his torso/stance. otherwise, looking good. cant wait to see what you do for the rest of the army!

titan136
07-05-2007, 16:23
I have to say I'm still not very fond of the sword but that's not important because that's me being...well, me. The sword's handle doesn't fit in with the light blue, perhaps object source lighting could have made the two blend into each other more.

hrm....yeah it does kinda stand out too much from the rest of the model. i'm hoping as i start doing more models with blue accents (like the assault terminators i've started) this high contrast will be less noticeable or at least consistent with the rest of the army.

hey, thats looking really good. the only thing i would suggest is that you paint the studs on his neck protector thingy, so it draws more attention to his torso/stance. otherwise, looking good. cant wait to see what you do for the rest of the army!

DId you mean paint them in metallics? because they're actually already highlighted, it might be a bit difficult to see with the light reflecting off the mini in the photos...

So here's some progress with the terminators. doing a test model first to figure out a scheme and then probably going to finish of the rest of the quad in pairs:

Here he is with the first layers of black on his armor
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/TermWIP1.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/TermWIP2.jpg

And one more with the black highlighted up to codex grey. this is where i'm stopping with the highlighting on the black.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/TermWIP3.jpg

probably have this guy finished in the next couple of days

{edit} gah just noticed that huge moldline on his right arm :(

Luthien
07-05-2007, 16:34
wow that marshall is amazing, goddamn :D
any chance of a tut on the parchment ??? :angel:

hiveminion
07-05-2007, 18:55
Very, very nice work on the Termie so far, the highlighting on the armour is thick but it looks so good! Now do some more...:p

schoolcormorant
07-05-2007, 19:00
man...very cool stuff. you know the ONLY thing letting that termie down is the mouldlines on the fists.

but i really love the mix of colours, well balanced, very cool :)

SC

Aemos
07-05-2007, 19:03
yea sorry, i did mean in metallics, personally think studs should be metal regardless of armor color, apart from maybe tanks. but i can be picky ;)
i really like what you did with the bases, its nice to see them without any greenery so to speak. keep it up :D

stormtrooper154
07-05-2007, 19:52
Really nice work on the bases. Im actually going to order some myself for my Tyranids. Did you add an more sand to it and would you mind a stage by stage of how you did the base - colours, particularly the browns.

Thanks.

whitemagikmarker
07-05-2007, 20:03
good lord man, that marshall is awsome, love the resin bases, keep it up, black templars were never a favorite of mine, but the way you have painted them is just fantastic, cant wait to see a dread from you

Strelok
07-05-2007, 21:03
I have to agree on picking out the rivets on the gorget in some sort of metallic, whether gold or silver. I feel this would add a little more to the model. Also, potentially add brighter highlights to the venting on the top of the backpack. However, on the whole he looks quite nice.

Dokternik.
08-05-2007, 06:07
Man those are some nice looking templars man.

Keep up the good work

titan136
09-05-2007, 02:49
any chance of a tut on the parchment ???
I based the parchment off another tutorial I saw. Here's the link if you're interested:http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=97359 a lot of my stuff is actually based on this tutorial.

you know the ONLY thing letting that termie down is the mouldlines on the fists.
bahh i know i know...thats what i get for not making sure they're gone before i prime.

yea sorry, i did mean in metallics, personally think studs should be metal regardless of armor color, apart from maybe tanks. but i can be picky

I have to agree on picking out the rivets on the gorget in some sort of metallic, whether gold or silver. I feel this would add a little more to the model. Also, potentially add brighter highlights to the venting on the top of the backpack. However, on the whole he looks quite nice.

Hrmm...metallic studds, thats definitely something to look into, i may have to try it out on a couple of standard minis and decide if I want it for the whole army. thanks for the input guys!

Really nice work on the bases. Im actually going to order some myself for my Tyranids. Did you add an more sand to it and would you mind a stage by stage of how you did the base - colours, particularly the browns.

Sure thing.
1) I started off with black primer
2) painted the sandy areas scorched brown
3) drybrushed the rocky areas with 50-50 codex grey and black and then 70-30 and then finally pure codex grey
4) drybrushed the sandy areas with beasty brown and then 50-50 beasty brown and bleached bone and the finally pure bleached bone/

that was pretty much how i did them, hope it helps :)

Another progress pic
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/TermWIP4.jpg

After a little painting on the base, here's a completed pic. The claws are a bit darker than i wanted. going to have to lighten them up to match the commander's powersword.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/TermzFinal.jpg

Khrangar
09-05-2007, 03:28
After the claws are lightened a bit, it'll look ace, especially in contrast with the rest of the model. On an off note, I challenge you come September to a game.

Khrangar

stormtrooper154
09-05-2007, 06:51
Thanks for the tips, hopefully the bases will be here in a couple of weeks. That Terminator is looking really nice - dark and gothic as they should be.

titan136
09-05-2007, 07:03
stormtrooper154: glad i could help looking forward to ur nids

khrangar: sounds great, shoot me a pm when you're back in the Tdot.

Holycrusader
09-05-2007, 07:22
I like it. Red shoulderpad look nice

Strelok
09-05-2007, 12:26
Honestly, these are some of the best-looking templars I've ever seen. Makes me want to make a BT army.

jasevx
09-05-2007, 12:36
The black is wicked, it still looks black even with the highlights, thats the hardest thing to do!

titan136
10-05-2007, 06:40
Honestly, these are some of the best-looking templars I've ever seen. Makes me want to make a BT army.

What's stopping ya? the holy crusade could always use more initiates!

Alright so i've built up the rest of the assault terminator squad, all ready to be primed:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/TermisBuilt.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/termi2_built.jpg

Here's a shot of the leader, i haven't decided if i wanted to do something to differentiate him yet. http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/leader_built.jpg

I also got enough bits for 5 more terminator bodies and heads. i'm debating on whether to use them and bump the squad up to 8 or to painted them up for my ultramarines...

Finally, I highlighted the claws of the finished termi a bit more to match up with the marshal's powersword, dunno if u can even see the difference but i feel good about it...:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/termi_claws_highlighted.jpg

AMBS
10-05-2007, 06:42
lovely crisp, bright colours all round :)

stormtrooper154
10-05-2007, 06:45
The lightning claws do seem brighter. When do you think youll get the squad ready?

titan136
10-05-2007, 06:50
lovely crisp, bright colours all round
thanks, i find that its all about the color accents when you're stuck doing black armor

The lightning claws do seem brighter. When do you think youll get the squad ready?
end of the week hopefully. i do have essays coming up next week so i'm going to try to finish as much as possible this week

schoolcormorant
10-05-2007, 08:21
why not stick a tabard on the terminator sergeant? it always looks cool :D

looking good titan

SC

hiveminion
10-05-2007, 14:39
Nice work, as for the sergeant, as SC said a tabard would look cool, but may I also suggest a standard on which a lantern is attached? Because your bases have a very dark, cavern/mountain like feel to it, and a lantern would symbolize your Templars bringing light to such dark places. A bit like Helbrecht.

Keep it up:)

Khrangar
11-05-2007, 02:14
The finished termies look good. The only thing I can see bad with them is the mold line on the sergeant's thunder hammer.

Khrangar

BodhiTree
11-05-2007, 02:45
Who the hell voted this of all logs down to 3? Man....

The termies are up to your standard, looking forward to more. :)

Strelok
11-05-2007, 02:53
I agree with Vee, these guys look good, Can't wait to see more work.

The final highlight on the lightning claws look good. A tabard on the termie sarge might look good, but you've already pulled off the devoted look of the templars quite well so it's not totally necessary. I've decided that I'm also going to make a BT army after seeing your work and doing small conversions using the BT sprue, so I'll definitely continue watching your thread for inspiration. Unfortunately I have quite the load of commission work to finish before I get any real work done on my own army. However, I'll get some pictures posted of an emperor's champ I made as soon as I can.

titan136
13-05-2007, 17:23
but may I also suggest a standard on which a lantern is attached?

Where exactly would one get a lantern bit?

Who the hell voted this of all logs down to 3? Man....
I didn't even realize you could vote for logs until you just mentioned it.

I've decided that I'm also going to make a BT army after seeing your work and doing small conversions using the BT sprue, so I'll definitely continue watching your thread for inspiration. Unfortunately I have quite the load of commission work to finish before I get any real work done on my own army. However, I'll get some pictures posted of an emperor's champ I made as soon as I can.

good to hear, looking forward to seeing what you do with templars

alright guys i'm kinda wayy behind schedule. i've been taking too long to paint these guys and i've had essays to write (did 2300 words over the last 2 days)

Here's the progress on the assault terminators:

First some WIPS
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/termis_WIP1.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/termi_2_WIP.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/termi_3_WIP.jpg

and now a small groupshot...
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/Termis_LC_Group.jpg

sadly in all this time i've only finished 4 models...the thunder hammer guys are at about 60% will try to get them done tomorrow or the day after..

strangely enough my battleforce has still not arrived...so when i finish the termi squad i'll have nothing to paint...

hiveminion
13-05-2007, 17:28
Where exactly would one get a lantern bit?

The BT chapter upgrade sprue has one or two, I think they're quite easy to attach to banners.

Nice work on the Terminators, the split scheme on the tilting plates is awesome. I hope your battleforce will arrive soon!:)

spikyjames
13-05-2007, 17:40
very nice looking terminators, this is going to be a very nice army once done.

james

stormtrooper154
13-05-2007, 21:22
Looking good there Titan. Which style of bases did you get from b2b? Ive gone for the slate style ones for my Tyranids, still waiting for them though :(

Angel Robertson
13-05-2007, 21:32
Wow those look really nice, very clean and they pop to!

AR

titan136
14-05-2007, 02:22
The BT chapter upgrade sprue has one or two, I think they're quite easy to attach to banners.

Ah hah! after some rummaging I found the bits you were talking about. Sounds like a pretty good idea, i think i will incorporate a lantern.

Which style of bases did you get from b2b? Ive gone for the slate style ones for my Tyranids, still waiting for them though

I got 1 set of rubble 25mm, 40mm and monster sized and 3 sets of slate 25mm. the ones i used for the termis are the rubble 40mm depending on your location it might take a while as he sends them via regular airmail

titan136
16-05-2007, 07:14
Believe it or not the Terminators are finally finished:
Here's the leader: (please note that the lantern on the banner was hiveminion's idea)
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/Hammer_Leader1.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/Hammer_Leader_close.jpg

and the second hammer bearer:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/Hammer_2.jpg
(damn just realized that i forgot to fix the writing on his chest..guess they're not 100% complete...)

and a groupshot for fun:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/Group_Shot.jpg

probably won't add any more terminators for a while. hopefully get some better pics in there too, the lighting kinda kills some of the highlighting and effects

unfortunately my battleforce still has not arrived. I'm beginning to think it may have gotten lost in the mail (almost 6 weeks for something to arrive by surface mail from the US to Australia is a bit long eh?)

I do have enough bits to build up a couple of marines so i might do that tonight and test out the standard i'll be painting the rank and file guys up in

cheers

Strelok
16-05-2007, 08:30
These guys look AWESOME. The lightning bolts on the hammers look great. That back banner is brilliant and the helmets are soo well done. Your stuff overall is excellent, I just really love it. How long does each take you to paint?

hiveminion
16-05-2007, 14:49
I love what you did with the thunder hammers. The lightning is sweet.:)

Sinzaren
17-05-2007, 01:19
I have to say I really like the lightening idea on the Thunderhammers, I might just have to nick it and do some on mine :D

Strelok
17-05-2007, 01:43
I know I've already commented today, but I was just glancing at this log again and these guys, especially the terminators, are really an inspiration!

titan136
17-05-2007, 02:27
Strelok: they take about 2 day to paint two of them I'm not too sure how many hours i spend per day painting though. I'd say maybe 10-15 hours total in two day? I'm glad they're insiring, now if only i could learn to convert like you do...

hiveminion & Sizaren: actually i must mention that the thunderhammers were taken from Ap0k's terminator assault squad (i dunno if he posts here)

Strelok
17-05-2007, 05:19
Well, I'd be happy to give you any sort of help you need when it comes to converting, whether its suggestions, tips, or if you have one in mind that you want me to convert for you and send on up to Toronto! I'd be honoured to have you paint one of my conversions :D

titan136
17-05-2007, 08:54
Well, I'd be happy to give you any sort of help you need when it comes to converting, whether its suggestions, tips, or if you have one in mind that you want me to convert for you and send on up to Toronto! I'd be honoured to have you paint one of my conversions

I will DEFINITELY keep that in mind when I start on the 2000+ points of world eaters i have sitting around.

stormtrooper154
17-05-2007, 09:16
Those Terminators look sweet, what you going to work on next?

Von Wallace
17-05-2007, 13:02
You've now re-inspired my Templar Army :) Cheers!

titan136
17-05-2007, 13:24
what you going to work on next?
I've been working on a couple of initiates but i only have enough bits lying around to build a couple. the battleforce i ordered from the US has still not arrived...its been like 6 weeks :(

You've now re-inspired my Templar Army Cheers!
Haha you've helped me achieve my ulterior motive...this thread is actually a recruiting campaign for the Black templars' holy crusade

Sinzaren
17-05-2007, 14:12
actually i must mention that the thunderhammers were taken from Ap0k's terminator assault squad (i dunno if he posts here)

Lol same place I got the inspiration for my Templar Sword Brethren force :)

squiggoth
17-05-2007, 15:57
Wow, stunning army so far. Nice balance between blacks, reds and whites, and clever freehanding skills. :cool:

this thread is actually a recruiting campaign for the Black templars' holy crusade

EEEEEEEW!!!!! :eek:
I'll never visit this Horible Thread Of Brainwashing again. :p

Strelok
17-05-2007, 18:54
Question: are the world eaters going to be pre- or post-heresy? I threw together a chaos marine for fun the other day (or started too) and I'm actually quite happy with him, and he looks quite khornate. Just PM me or email me at volk1123@yahoo.com if you want to chat!

titan136
18-05-2007, 06:07
small update: just tested out a lower standard BT initiate. I think this will probably be the standard to which i paint my rank and file guys.

This guy took about 2 hours excluding prime and assembly. if i do up an assembly lilne i should be able to do initiates and neophytes fairly quickly.

Let me know what you guys think. Is the highlighting too extreme?

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/standard_initiate.jpg

Inquisitor Konig
18-05-2007, 08:13
those termis look fantastic! what is that =I= on the sargent off of cuz I'd love to put it on the front of a Deathwatch termi.

Cheatah
18-05-2007, 10:21
I love your templars... they look fantastic!
Only comment would be: the cloth looks a bit too dark (for my tastes)
Keep on truckin'!

jasevx
18-05-2007, 10:55
great colouring in one of the hardest chapters to paint good!

Strelok
18-05-2007, 13:03
IIRC, that =I= is actually a stylized crux terminatus from one of the sprues in the basic or assault terminator box (since I've never bought either, I'm not entirely sure.)

Excellent job on that initiate, Titan. I think the head could be sharpened a little, as it seems the only low point (to me) on the whole model. I think it just needs a brighter highlight on the leading edge above the eyes and on the venting at the crown of the head, and maybe a little darker black in some other places. Could we get a close-up just to see it a little better?

hiveminion
18-05-2007, 13:07
Nice work on the initiate, especially the tabard. However, I think he looks a bit too grey for a black templar. I'd suggest making the second highlight (the dark grey one) less thick. Especially on the shoulder guard rim it is far more dominating than the black itself.

Keep up the good work, I hope your battleforce'll arrive sometime soon, losing it in the mail is no fun at all.:eek:

titan136
23-05-2007, 07:31
Cheatah: yeah i would have put more work into them but I didn't want to spend too much time on the initiates as they are only rank and file.
Strelok: i think the poor photos kinda subdue the highlights. i'll get some better ones when i finish the squad
hiveminion: you're right. i've fixed up the highlights a little. i'll post a pic when the squad is done. it looks like the battleforce got lost in the mail. hopefully insurance will cover it.

Alright time for an update. I managed to scrounge up enough bits to make a full squad of initiates...and by full i mean 6 of em...

here's the 2nd in the squad:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/second.jpg

and here's the rest of them waiting to be primed:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/Next4.jpg

i tried to position the powerfist guy like he was going to launch off and punch someone....hope that came through.

Strelok
23-05-2007, 07:48
I love your litanies and templar crosses, I think those are my favorite part of your work. The powerfist marine is perfectly positioned in my opinion, you got it just right. When I finally get to doing the BTs, I think you're still going to be putting me to shame. Your paintjobs are my inspiration for the BTs when I start them.

Cheatah
23-05-2007, 08:55
i tried to position the powerfist guy like he was going to launch off and punch someone....hope that came through.

The punch came through allright... ouch... nice pose :)

schoolcormorant
23-05-2007, 08:55
The powerfist marine is perfectly positioned in my opinion, you got it just right.

yeah, thats what happens every friday night here :p

SC

hiveminion
23-05-2007, 21:07
Amazing work titan, the tabard is awesome, really, really awesome. The black's proper black now too, I need to paint mine like that!

Oh and I love the powerfist sarge, any chance you can sneak him a letter during maths or something?:D

Did I say that?:wtf:

Deadleyheadley
23-05-2007, 21:09
Your BTs are sweet mate ,There some of the best BTs ive seen ,Looking forward to seeing the next lot all painted up :)

titan136
24-05-2007, 09:05
I love your litanies and templar crosses, I think those are my favorite part of your work.
thanks man, i've always like the look of them when i saw them in white dwarf when 4th edition was first released. i'm glad i got the chance to use them in excess on the BTs

Oh and I love the powerfist sarge, any chance you can sneak him a letter during maths or something?
Sorry i think he and the meltagunner are going steady haha

The powerfist marine is perfectly positioned in my opinion, you got it just right.
yeah, thats what happens every friday night here

SC
*shakes head* silly schoolie

Your BTs are sweet mate ,There some of the best BTs ive seen ,Looking forward to seeing the next lot all painted up

Thanks deadly, your blog has been a huge inspiration on these guys. The next lot is coming along, although unlike you i seemed to have run out of stuff to paint until my battleforce finally gets here...stupid australia post

Further Update:
Finished the first 5. Just have the powerfist guy left to do and then i'll post some group pics (because i'll be out of stuff to paint until that battleforce i ordered which is 8 weeks late mysteriously shows up)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/5_finished.jpg

Once i do get some more marines though, this squad will be bumped up to 8 marines and 4 neophytes

just another thought for later on I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on distinguishing the squads from one another. I was thinking maybe red tabbards on the second squad? any suggestions?

schoolcormorant
24-05-2007, 10:07
those are freakishly good. just....just ace.

well done!

SC

hiveminion
24-05-2007, 15:37
just another thought for later on I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on distinguishing the squads from one another. I was thinking maybe red tabbards on the second squad? any suggestions?

Maybe something a bit more subtle...I noticed at least two guys of this squad had a black circle with red templar cross on it, perhaps do red circles with black crosses on the next?

Looking good as always.

Sinzaren
24-05-2007, 17:00
I dont know whether this will help, but what I'm planning on doing with each of my squads is putting the heraldry of each of the squads leader onto the models somewhere. As mine are all gonna be Termies this will probably be on the small shields on there left shoulders.

Maybe you could add similar to a leg or maybe the elbow joints.

sheep
24-05-2007, 17:32
Fantastic, i love the black and the freehand on the robes is just great, well done.

Not sure about the idea of different coloured tabards, i think that may ruin the continuity of the army too much. What about just painting small numbers on the shoulders or knee pads somewhere?

Cheers

Sheep

Strelok
24-05-2007, 19:06
Sheer brilliance, that squad looks great!

titan136
28-05-2007, 05:52
thanks for the ideas about differentiating squads. I'll put off worrying about it until later as the next squad i'll be doing is a shooty plas/missle squad. I still haven't recieved the battleforce but i'll be cannibalizing the marines bodies from the plastic devastators i just bought.

oh and before everything else, look wat i got? how cool do they look?
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Tyranids/rippersFW.jpg

Alright so here are a couple of closeups of templars so you guys can see how messy my painting actually is:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/Initiate_4.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/Initiate_3.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/Initiate_5.jpg

continued in next post

titan136
28-05-2007, 05:54
and here is the pride and joy of this squad my powerfist guy:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/powerfist.jpg

a groupshot of the initiates with powerfist guy:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/Initiates_Group.jpg

army shot:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/Army_Shot.jpg

painted a couple more guys after the last pic was taken...here one of them whos pose i liked:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/running.jpg

BodhiTree
28-05-2007, 06:11
That is inspiring. I love the helmet. I don't really think the painting is messy, and even if it is, you've given every Marine a kind of personal touch, something that a crusade of knights just needs.

stormtrooper154
28-05-2007, 07:58
I agree with you that the highlights are a little messy, but it only shows when up real close and with the flash on. All the other pictures indicate to these beibng really nice - which they are.

Are you planning on getting the FW BT dreadnought too?

Strelok
28-05-2007, 08:04
No wonder he's your pride and joy, the powerfist guy ROCKS, esp the freehand oh his helmet. Keep it up, brother!

dave is the best
28-05-2007, 10:00
You never stop amazing me with your BT.

Dave

hiveminion
28-05-2007, 15:39
MESSY?!

MESSY?!

They look awesome! Especially the powerfist guy, he really rocks. Nothing messy about these marines. Ok so maybe the chainsword on the first initiate could use some cleaning up with chaos black, but besides that this stuff is just excellent. Great job.

Khrangar
28-05-2007, 17:40
Wow, the army looks great so far, and that's a lot of rippers.

I like how this army is progressing and I can't wait to play against it in the fall.

Khrangar

Zealot
29-05-2007, 07:27
Titan, they all look great.

Keep up the good work!

titan136
04-06-2007, 16:02
Are you planning on getting the FW BT dreadnought too?

nah too expensive for me, shipping is wat kills it...and the fact that u gotta buy extra arms...

i think i'll actually try to scratch build one with some city of death sprues...

This is pretty much the last of the marines I have with me in Australia. I cannibalized the bodies from the plastic devastators sprues and packed on bits from the BT sprues to make up a shooty squad to provide covering fire for the CC squad:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/shooty_squad.jpg

And here are some closeups:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/MLmarine.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/leader.jpg

titan136
04-06-2007, 16:03
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/gunner2.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/gunner1.jpg

That’s probably going to be the last update on this army before I leave Australia at the end of this month. I got about 550 points painted up in 1 month, not a bad effort considering the speed at which I paint.

Time for final exams yay!

Strelok
04-06-2007, 18:45
Awesome job again! The freehand templar crosses look great as usual, especially on the marine with the freehanded helmet. On the note of cannibalizing the devastators, you happen to have one of the HB backpacks sitting around? I've been needing one for my deathwatch squad.

hiveminion
04-06-2007, 19:21
They look great titan, the half-cross on the middle guy's helmet is fantastic.

However, what interests me most is the plasma gun, could you give me a small tut on how you did it? It looks exactly the way I want my Water plasma to look!

Keep up the awesome work mate.

jasevx
04-06-2007, 20:23
they are simply awesome, you've really brought them to life!

Cpt_NinjaPants
07-06-2007, 11:32
Man, these keep getting better and better.

Lepp
18-06-2007, 14:43
Wow. Your Templars are awesome. I would love to see you take on a Neophyte with the Templar Cross tattoo over his eye.

Goosey_J
18-06-2007, 14:58
Ap0k would be proud Titan :)

Bungaroo
05-07-2007, 20:09
Best Black Templars I've seen for ages. What is your process for painting the parchment and bone type colours ?

Thanks for the tip on the bases, I'm gonna try some of these.

hallowed_are_the_ori
25-07-2007, 04:17
What particular back to basix bases did you use?

Targhell_the_Vicious
25-07-2007, 04:27
Absolutely beautiful work, very inspiring - this is why i play this game, so i can see armies as beautiful as yours across the tabletop

keep the updates coming, i cannot wait to see more

hallowed_are_the_ori
01-08-2007, 15:41
I love your Black templars

Light of the Emperor
01-08-2007, 15:50
I really like the look that your Templars have...dark and gritty like they should be. Well done!

BarbedHawk
01-08-2007, 17:10
Looking awesome, easily some of the best BT I've seen.

However, I don't like the metal on the backacks,it just looks messy and a little rushed. A couple look good, but most seem a little too messy compared to the rest of the painting, which looks like you've put a lot of attention and time into. Just my opinion, keep up the great work. :)

titan136
11-08-2007, 03:11
What particular back to basix bases did you use?

I used the 25mm slate bases (both tall and short ones) as well as the 25mm, 40mm and 60mm rubble bases

Wow. Your Templars are awesome. I would love to see you take on a Neophyte with the Templar Cross tattoo over his eye.

That would be a neat idea but my neophytes are going to have helms you'll see what i mean soon :)

So its been a while since I've updated this log. In the meanwhile, i've managed to start my first work with greenstuff. Granted its not heavy use of the good green stuff but I'm still a beginner. Basically i was looking to build my very own Emperor's champ, not that the GW model isn't great, because it is, i just figured i'd try something new. I guess part of it was all the inspiration I've gotten from all the forums I frequent. What do you guys think, could I pass this off as artificer armor or is it too obviously terminator armor? What id I added a backpack? Craving opinions on this one.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/empchamp1.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/empchamp2.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/empchamp3.jpg

I'm actually quite happy with the pose. I think it screams "HEY YOU! YEAH YOU WITH THE HORNS, I CHALLENGE YOU TO SINGLE COMBAT!!!"

hallowed_are_the_ori
11-08-2007, 03:33
Looking good

Arsonist18
11-08-2007, 04:48
I dig the pose, it fits with an Emperor's champ. It's maybe on the chunky side, but if Grey Knight terminators can duel daemons then an Emperor's Champ should be able to duel in terminator armor as well.

Maybe it's the head that throws it off. I really like the iconic knight helm. Besides that I think it looks good. Don't add a backpack, then he'll be even thicker.

thewizardofoz
11-08-2007, 06:14
awesome templar man. stuff like this makes me wanna start marines, but i swore to Gork and Mork that i would never do it.

titan136
30-08-2007, 16:06
haven't started painting the emp's champ yet but here are some neophytes I painted this week.

I've always thought that the Black Templar neophyte served a different role (combat) than their scout counterparts in other armies (actual scouting) so it probably wouldn't make sense for BT neophytes to be so lightly armored. Sure their armor wouldn't be as heavy and glorious as the standard marine but it would probably need stuff like a little extra armor on the arms and at least a helmet.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/neophytes1.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/neophytes2.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/neophytes3.jpg

hiveminion
30-08-2007, 16:11
I love what you did with those Neophytes! The helmets look really good on them, fantastic idea! I do feel they need something of a backpack though, you know, with scrolls fastened to them. But that's just my opinion, don't change a thing if you're happy with them!

The painting is awesome as always.:)

Fourth Captain Tycon
30-08-2007, 16:54
I like the looks of the Emperors Champion. I too plan on using an ornate Terminator Armour to act as his armour.

I think you'd be able to pass it off, because it states in the Codex Fluff that the Black Sword and Armour of Faith aren't necessarily what are shown on the GW model, and that they can infact be varying. I think it is entirely fitting for the Emperors Champion to have a special set of armour and weapons totally unique to him.

Marovian
30-08-2007, 17:10
Nice BT's, loving the Neophytes, they look very menacing.

Khrangar
07-09-2007, 02:34
Normally I don't care for Space Marine helmeted Scouts as they seem too big for the scout body. These seem a little big but not as much as normal helmets. I say kudos to you for pulling off what few, in my eyes, can.

Khrangar

Verdi
09-09-2007, 16:35
haven't started painting the emp's champ yet but here are some neophytes I painted this week.

I've always thought that the Black Templar neophyte served a different role (combat) than their scout counterparts in other armies (actual scouting) so it probably wouldn't make sense for BT neophytes to be so lightly armored. Sure their armor wouldn't be as heavy and glorious as the standard marine but it would probably need stuff like a little extra armor on the arms and at least a helmet.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/neophytes1.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/neophytes2.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/neophytes3.jpg

Love these, they look awesome dude :)

TYRANOODLE
28-09-2007, 17:05
very very sweet

Arhalien
28-09-2007, 17:27
I can;t believe I've missed this log; stunning painting :D
I also really like the use of the marine heads on the scouts; are the helmets modified at all?

Luthien
28-09-2007, 19:39
Really, really, really good :D

TYRANOODLE
28-09-2007, 20:31
Please could you post an army pic. I would like to see what they look like as a whole

titan136
14-10-2007, 07:29
I've been quite busy with work so this thread has not been updated in quite some time. But during the nights and sometimes on weekends, I do get a chance to paint. So here are a couple of squad additions to my BT army:

First, a group pic of all the BT I've painted thus far:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/Armyshot_October07.jpg

Here's the new shooty squad:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/armyshot_crusader_3.jpg

Here is another shot of the shooty crusader squad by themselves:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/crusader_squad_3.jpg

And finally, something I'm quite proud of, my 2 flamer assault squad:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/assault_Squad_BT.jpg

Let me know what you guys think

Cheers

Arhalien
14-10-2007, 11:19
I think they're fantastic; the black is very nicely highlighted, and the contrast that comes from the robes and the red is great.

I was wondering how you did those Neophytes (conversion-wise), because I think they're easily the best space marine scouts I've seen.

titan136
14-10-2007, 15:16
I was wondering how you did those Neophytes (conversion-wise), because I think they're easily the best space marine scouts I've seen.

The neophytes were done with chaos space marine helmets (the one with the topknot) with the arrow shaved off and the topknot removed. I also removed the "neck" part of the head and added some greenstuff for a shorter neck. The arms are regular space marine assault arms without the shoulderpads and the torsoe and legs are from the plastic marine scouts box. Hope that helps

hiveminion
14-10-2007, 16:00
Nice to see some more progress mate, the army is looking very impressive already. The red on the Assault Marine shoulder pads is very neat and really stands out. And the bone Power Fist is so cool.:)

Just one minor thing that caught my eye, the missile launcher Initiate, the exhausts on his backpack, there's one metal and one black. Looking at the rest of the squad, shouldn't they both be metal?

Anyway, amazing stuff, so when will you be doing a tank for these guys? I'd love to see a fully painted up Templar tank by you!:cool:

Arhalien
14-10-2007, 16:56
The neophytes were done with chaos space marine helmets (the one with the topknot) with the arrow shaved off and the topknot removed. I also removed the "neck" part of the head and added some greenstuff for a shorter neck. The arms are regular space marine assault arms without the shoulderpads and the torsoe and legs are from the plastic marine scouts box. Hope that helps

I thought they looked different to normal space marine heads. Thanks :)

Monsterzonk
14-10-2007, 21:40
Your minis are ACE! I really like the Scouts, though all the others are great, too. Keep it up!

Lepp
18-10-2007, 23:42
Wonderful painting as always, but I can't say I'm a fan of the Marine helmets on the scouts.

Caelas
19-10-2007, 00:36
I love the feeling of your army, the painting is grat, but I also like your poses, they are cinematic while retaining realism. Nice work.

Khrangar
19-10-2007, 01:25
Looking great, and it's nice knowing you're still keeping up with this army. How's the Emperor's Champion coming along?

Khrangar

titan136
19-10-2007, 05:02
Just one minor thing that caught my eye, the missile launcher Initiate, the exhausts on his backpack, there's one metal and one black. Looking at the rest of the squad, shouldn't they both be metal?
Yeah good eye! it's wierd, but thats the way the backpack is built it just didn't look right. I'll post some pictures of the back of the pack and you'll see what I mean.

Wonderful painting as always, but I can't say I'm a fan of the Marine helmets on the scouts.
No worries, its not for everyone, but I just hated the standard scout heads, i mean they all look exactly the same and have severe underbite. :P

I love the feeling of your army, the painting is grat, but I also like your poses, they are cinematic while retaining realism. Nice work.
Thanks, I've tried working on the poses. I'm no converter so the best I can do is reposition stuff lol, glad to know it wasn't a total waste of time.

Looking great, and it's nice knowing you're still keeping up with this army. How's the Emperor's Champion coming along?

Khrangar

Well I'm glad u asked because:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/Titan136-EC1.jpg
[EDIT] Thanks to misterjustin over at relicforums for helping me edit the photo

Asuril
19-10-2007, 05:22
Your army is fantastic! They look how I've always felt a Black Templar army should look!

Brilliant job, it's masterfully done. All of the little unique touches to the individual marines and their squads is perfect.

I love the red on those assault marines. Good work. :)

TYRANOODLE
19-10-2007, 20:57
Sweet as usual

Khrangar
19-10-2007, 21:19
That dude is massive, and it doesn't look too much like terminator armour, like I thought it would originally.

Congrats on another fine mini.

Khrangar

Fastforward rlz
23-10-2007, 20:05
simply amazing!!!

visgoth
08-11-2007, 13:35
I am so glad I found this log before I started working on my army. Great conversion ideas, thanks loads!

(That's a polite way of saying I'm gonna shamelessly steal your ideas... But at least I'll credit you!)

Tussky
08-11-2007, 15:45
The best BT army ever seen!Can I ask how do you paint black ?

titan136
11-11-2007, 18:42
Khrangar: I'm glad it's not too terminator-y, i was a little worried about WYSIWYG when i first posted WIP shots of the model.

visgoth: borrow away, i'm honored to be able to inspire

Tussky: the black is layered up from pure black to 50-50 black-codex grey and then pure codex grey.

I've painted my first BT vehicle. It was a lot of fun doing all the litanies and embellishments because there's so much open space on the razorback. I built the razorback's turrents using left over landraider bits and magnetized so that I can switch between heavy bolters and lascannons. I don't own an official razorback so you guys will have to let me know how my makeshift one compares...oh and i still need to paint the heavy bolter turret:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/razorback1.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/razorback2.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/razorback3.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/razorback4.jpg

titan136
11-11-2007, 18:42
couple more pics:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/razorback_no_turret2.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/razorback_no_turret.jpg

spikyjames
11-11-2007, 18:51
Great looking Razorback.

i'll be looking through your log so as to provide me with some inspiraton when it come's to doing the BT's i have planned, (after Christmas at some point)

cheers

james

hiveminion
Looks awesome Titan! The litanies are just enough to make the vehicle look religious without drowning it in text. I think the Land Raider sponson works fine enough.:)

Arhalien
I really like the use of the bone areas; looks much better than white IMO. The painted detail adds to it a lot as well.
Only problem is that the white crusader crosses look like they could be a bit smoother and crisper in places (especially the ones on the doors).
May I ask what's next?

titan136
12-11-2007, 04:07
Great looking Razorback.

i'll be looking through your log so as to provide me with some inspiraton when it come's to doing the BT's i have planned, (after Christmas at some point)

cheers

james

I'm a big fan of your work so I'd love to see you do some templars. At the rate i'm painting you'll probably be done your templars before I finish mine lol

Looks awesome Titan! The litanies are just enough to make the vehicle look religious without drowning it in text. I think the Land Raider sponson works fine enough.

Yeah i had so much fun trying to figure out where to add the text because there was so much black space. I like to think that the templars are so zealous that they just cover everything in litanies heh

Only problem is that the white crusader crosses look like they could be a bit smoother and crisper in places (especially the ones on the doors).
May I ask what's next?

Yeah I'll admit i got a little lazy on the crosses, its hard freehanding them all :(

Next is another 8-marine 4-neophyte crusader squad because i feel like i want to get all the troops out of the way. And then either a dreadnought or a land raider crusader. I've got them both sitting in their pretty little boxes.

on another note, I realized that i mispelled "TEMPLARS" on the front of the tank. I've since fixed this:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/fixed.jpg

titan136
12-11-2007, 17:18
Here's an updated army shot, because I wanted to lay the army out and see what it looked like:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/armyshot_nov07.jpg

And a pic of what's to come in the following weeks (errr probably months)
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/left_to_paint.jpg

and the next squad I'll be painting:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/crusader_cc_2.jpg

Meticulous
12-11-2007, 22:27
Those scouts are friggen awesome. I'm likely to steal that idea, but I don't know if they'll be scouts. More likely some sort of...something else that's cool.

The rest of the log's great, too. If I didn't have some Wolves to finish, I'd break out my Templars and paint them up a bit.

Triszin The Wrath God
12-11-2007, 23:24
wow, that looks fantastic, now if only i could paint like that.....

xbevisx
12-11-2007, 23:37
that razorback is looking pretty damn sweet buddy.

if you hadnt said anything i wouldnt have noticed it wasnt the gw one!

Ravenheart
12-11-2007, 23:40
I have seen you stuff over at the B&C. It's really awesome. Keep it up!

Khrangar
13-11-2007, 01:55
The razorback is sweet, great job. Yay for army additions, and a drop pod!

Khrangar

titan136
13-12-2007, 19:22
Thanks for the comments guys. Khrangar, I'm excited about that droppod too. That way my dread can arrive in style :D

Here's the latest update on the army. I've painted up another CC crusader squad which pretty much polishes off all my infantry.

voila:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/crusader_squad4.jpg

and a closer shot of the melta and fist guys:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/crusader_squad4a.jpg

and because i like taking army shots whenever i paint something: shame on me, so much for painting a small 750 point BT army
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/army_Dec_2007.jpg

Dreadnought will be next...or maybe another makeshift razorback...hmmmm, suggestions?

Meticulous
13-12-2007, 21:04
Man, those look nice...

Rahveel
13-12-2007, 21:26
that is the nicest looking BT army ive seen! hope I run across ya at a game someday and get to play against it!

stormtrooper154
18-12-2007, 14:30
Your force is really looking sweet! I was wondering how you did the bone on the terminators breastplates/helmets - could you give a step-by-step on the colours you used?

Thanks.

titan136
19-12-2007, 06:17
stormtrooper: here's the breakdown of the colors
1) basecoat scorched brown
2) Pick out main shapes in snakebite
3) 1st highlight in 50-50 snakebite and bleached bone
4) 2nd highlight pure bleached bone
5) 3rd highlight (very thin) 50-50 bleached bone and skull white
6) final dabs of pure watered down skull white on the very points

hope that helps

I've been working on a drop pod for my dread: Please keep in mind its very WIP
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/drop_pod_WIP.jpg

here's a pic of the base without the pod:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/drop_pod_base.jpg

I'm torn on whether to do chevrons on the side wings or not as i think it might not fit in with the rest of the army's scheme...any opinions?

Triggerdog
19-12-2007, 07:13
nice scratch build there, I wish I had access to any plasticard at all so I could convert more stuff like that.

stormtrooper154
19-12-2007, 08:19
Thanks mate - it does help, Im going to test it on some bits I have lying around. Your scratch built pod is looking sweet and I cant wait to see it finished.

hallowed_are_the_ori
19-12-2007, 10:48
Beautifully painted dude.

I love your army. :D

titan136
21-12-2007, 05:01
The pod is scratch built but not by me. I did a trade a while ago with someone who built one and cast it. I got a couple off him although some of them broke on the way here. The one i'm painting right now is one of the broken ones i've GSed back together.

Speaking of which, here's a little more progress. Now that I have the basic colors and highlights down i can move onto the fun stuff like litanies, freehand and weathering. Gotta go over the chevrons a bit more too to make them smooth yellow. Any suggestions on what i should be drawing on the side of my drop pod?

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/drop_pod_WIP2.jpg

titan136
22-12-2007, 05:43
I finished the Drop pod. This is the first time I've done weathering on a vehicle. I was trying to make the bottom of the pod look more wore and burnt from entry into the atmosphere and i also tried to have a lot of metal showing through from where the paint chipped away. I also tried to keep a consistency with my army by adding a lot of litanies:

Let me know what you guys think of the paintjob:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/drop_pod_1.jpg

stormtrooper154
22-12-2007, 09:03
I think your drop pod looks fantastic - better than mine, in fact it makes me want to strip mine down and redo them :p

And kudos to you for scratchbuilding it - I was lazy and bought the fw ones.

Whats next?

rickie8437
22-12-2007, 11:43
really cool looking very nice

made me go and find my templers ary and repaint it

rick

Arhalien
22-12-2007, 12:18
Fantastic drop pod; the weathering has worked very well :)

Verdi
22-12-2007, 14:55
I finished the Drop pod. This is the first time I've done weathering on a vehicle. I was trying to make the bottom of the pod look more wore and burnt from entry into the atmosphere and i also tried to have a lot of metal showing through from where the paint chipped away. I also tried to keep a consistency with my army by adding a lot of litanies:

Let me know what you guys think of the paintjob:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/drop_pod_1.jpg

Nice work, you know for the fine detail stuff what do you use? I mean brush wise? :)

hiveminion
23-12-2007, 14:03
Awesome! I love all the details you did on the pod and the weathering is excellent. Very realistic.

This army is really coming along great, it's getting pretty big too! Can't wait to see more of these kick-ass Black Templars mate. :)

RavingGuard
23-12-2007, 14:05
without doubt the best black templars i've ever seen. probably some of the best marines i've ever seen too. excellent work.

titan136
20-01-2008, 22:14
I haven't had access to a camera for a while but rest assured, in that time, I've been a busy little hobbyist. Here are the results of my labors:

1 More Rhino and 1 More razorback (shown below with the original Razorback)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/armor1.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/armor2.jpg

I've also been building up a techmarine. The chainsword will eventually be replaced by a storm bolter. I'm planning a whole squad of these guys and will count them as grey knights.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/techmarineWIP.jpg

titan136
20-01-2008, 22:15
Next up is my terminator Chaplain The build is very WIP. I'm still debating about the head for this guy. There will be a lot more details, rest assured. He's shown here on my dreadnought base:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/chaplainWIP.jpg

Finally there's the terminators. I bought a few more over the holidays and will be doing up a shooty squad to go along with the CC termis I already have. They will probably end up getting a drop pod.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/termisWIP1.jpg

And finally, although it has nothing to do with my templars, here is a test mini for my world eaters, my next army if i ever finish these templars:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/World%20Eaters/berserkerWIP.jpg

Arhalien
20-01-2008, 22:23
Yay! It lives! :D
The vehicles are superb; the detailing just makes them look so incredible :)
The Techmarine is nice, apart from the Tau bits on his back; I imagine you have more planned for the, but they look just a bit out of place to me at the moment.
edit: Oh, in case you hadn;t noticed; mould line on chainfist terminator ;)

Inquisitor Feldenhaus
20-01-2008, 23:45
Those look great, I especially like the tanks, they make me want to start some Templars.

Khrangar
21-01-2008, 00:42
I can't believe I missed the Drop Pod, it looks amazing. Where did you say you got it from? Also, the tanks look ace. I don't know how people paint them, I can't stand it. The techmarine looks good, though I can't place the head. Speaking of heads, if you don't decide to use the head on the chaplain, you can give it to me :P. Also, I don't think the current crozius looks very impressive, but it could just be me.

Khrangar

dr.oetk3r
21-01-2008, 00:49
Those Terminators are really cool. Nice job.

Meticulous
21-01-2008, 02:31
What bit is the Berzerker's tattered standard? I've seen it in the Chaos book but figured it was a conversion; I'd like to get my hands on a couple someday.

The Techmarine is swanky as well, especially the torso from the Chaos tank commander.

Bahir
21-01-2008, 03:21
Dude, great painting!

Girathon
21-01-2008, 04:46
Nice work titan, glad to see that your still plugging away at an army, it gives hope to those of us who are perma-painters blocked lol.

Girathon

titan136
21-01-2008, 16:47
The Techmarine is nice, apart from the Tau bits on his back; I imagine you have more planned for the, but they look just a bit out of place to me at the moment.

hmmm i was going for something like an advanced ant-grav jetpack but noone seems to like it. I might just bits order a regular crane backpack and be done with it...

Those look great, I especially like the tanks, they make me want to start some Templars.

Do it!! You know you waaaaaannaaaa

I can't believe I missed the Drop Pod, it looks amazing. Where did you say you got it from? Also, the tanks look ace. I don't know how people paint them, I can't stand it. The techmarine looks good, though I can't place the head. Speaking of heads, if you don't decide to use the head on the chaplain, you can give it to me :P. Also, I don't think the current crozius looks very impressive, but it could just be me.

I got the Drop pod off a guy on Bartertown. They're custom made and then cast in pastic/resin. Bought 4 of them. 3 of them came broken but I've been slowly putting them back together. Thanks are actually not that bad. Lots of straight lines to highlight and the metallics are just several layers of drybrush. What exactly do you have problems with? I was thinking of using the skeleton head from the chaos warriors sprues (once it arrives in the mail). If we ever get together for a game, i'll pass the head on to you along with a couple of others in my bitsbox.

What bit is the Berzerker's tattered standard? I've seen it in the Chaos book but figured it was a conversion; I'd like to get my hands on a couple someday.

The Techmarine is swanky as well, especially the torso from the Chaos tank commander.
The banner is from the old chaos lord, the one with the powerfist and kai-gun. I bits ordered a bunch of them for my berserker champs

Nice work titan, glad to see that your still plugging away at an army, it gives hope to those of us who are perma-painters blocked lol.

Yeah this army won't be done until I hit 3000 points...funny..it started as a 500 point side project...

Khrangar
21-01-2008, 19:17
I think my problem with the crozius is that it's too small and doesn't look very ornate. It could look better painted though, so I'll wait for that.

Khrangar

titan136
23-01-2008, 22:39
Well I personally like the crozius. maybe when i add the purity seals it will bulk it up a bit but I don't think i'm going to change it that much.

on another note, I've been doing some work on the Dread that's going to popping out of that drop pod.

I'm going for a venerable look to the standard dread so I'm trying to add a lot more detail and do the peek-a-boo head thing.

still a lot more work to be done I think but i'm pretty happy with the pose and he's magnetized!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/dreadWIP.jpg

rickie8437
23-01-2008, 23:31
love the dread, very forge world'dee

after seeing your thread ive started to repaint my templars and add more stuff to the army

could you tell me how you do your bone ???

rick

Khrangar
23-01-2008, 23:33
Great stuff, it looks suitabley Venerable.

One last thing. Make me one? :P.

Khrangar

D35t0y3r
24-01-2008, 02:33
lovin all of the techmarine (especially the back), wheres that bit crotch plate bit from?

titan136
24-01-2008, 17:19
after seeing your thread ive started to repaint my templars and add more stuff to the army

could you tell me how you do your bone ???

Glad I could be of some inspiration. The bone was done using a base coat of scorched brown, worked up with snakebite leather and then bleached bone. a final highlight of bleached bone + skull white was used at extremeties

Great stuff, it looks suitabley Venerable.

One last thing. Make me one? :P.

Khrangar

Ya know, I probably could if you got all the bits I needed. It really didn't take that long. Or i could just talk you through it. Message me on msn if you wanna talk about it in depth.

lovin all of the techmarine (especially the back), wheres that bit crotch plate bit from?

Thanks :) the loin armor on the techmarine is a chairback from what I remember to be a landspeeder seat heh

Slobomeister
24-01-2008, 19:29
Lots of cool stuff in this place! You have mange to get a good highlight on the black armors, something that I always seem to fail at. Otherwise my templar would have been all over the place.;) And you have lots of nice conversions too. I don’t seem to find an armylist anywhere. Have I fail to spot it? I would love to see one.

Cheers.

Luke
24-01-2008, 19:45
I know he is is wippy but I hope you are going to put loads of cable bundles and stuff in the gaps between the torso and the arms. That would look BEAST. DO it! :D

Elizas Guardianangel
24-01-2008, 21:55
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/chaplainWIP.jpg

Where did you get the head for this chaplain! I'm converting a chaplain too and I NEED this head.

Elizas Guardianangel
24-01-2008, 21:59
NM. I just found out that it's a Chaos Marines Studded Head Pre-Hersey Style Bit.

Templar-Sun
24-01-2008, 23:21
Dread's pose is SOLID bro. Your army looks great. One problem tho, could you please repaint the "Templars" on the Rhino? I didn't see it until you mentioned it and fixed it but now its driving me bonkers! My only crticism, everything else is fantastic.

Templar-Sun

Elizas Guardianangel
25-01-2008, 01:34
I think my problem with the crozius is that it's too small and doesn't look very ornate. It could look better painted though, so I'll wait for that.

Khrangar

The chaplain that I'm converting is using the same black templar axe as the handle for his crozius but I'm planning on using one of the 2 eagle backpack toppers that come in the captain sprue. My fav of the two is the eagle with its wings fanned out.

Verdi
26-01-2008, 19:59
Chaplins looking wicked, the CSM head fits the bill perfectly!

cyrus
27-01-2008, 17:49
very nice army. The only thing that is missing is a contrasting colour. I would have added some static grass to the basses.
I love your conversions...

titan136
29-01-2008, 23:49
Cyrus, I tried to add a contrasting color with the power weapons in the army. Speaking of which, I've finished a 6th assault terminator. Nothing too exciting because he looks just like the rest except with a tabbard (because i have no more crotch armor)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/termi6.jpg

I've also based the shooty terminators:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/shootterms.jpg

i'll probably have the change to sarg's powerfist to a powersword though

titan136
31-01-2008, 05:23
I've made an attempt to replicate some mk4 marines using doghouse's amazing tutorial. My GS-fu needs work as you can see but overall i'm happy i tried:

This will be my squad of sword brethren. I like the GW models but I had a bunch of mk4 armor bits from the BT sprues and I figured they looked ornate enough to be used for Sword Brethren who are said have the best equipment in the crusade

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/swordbrethren1.jpg

and some more that I'm working on. I'll only be using the legs. the torsoes will be replaced by mk4 armor

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/swordbrethren2.jpg

hallowed_are_the_ori
31-01-2008, 06:05
Very nice man.

MF3000
31-01-2008, 06:28
Koodoes, it's a very squad in progress.

sj

The Judge
31-01-2008, 11:20
The Dreadnought is complete badass, the rest of the army is excellent.

Nice!

cyrus
31-01-2008, 16:14
Cyrus, I tried to add a contrasting color with the power weapons in the army.

fair enough. I do like your style of painting though, kinda similar to my own style...

titan136
02-02-2008, 16:02
I managed to sculpt/glue a few more details on to the venerable dread. Also, thanks to Khrangar, I've found a new head for the dread which, i feel, suits it a lot better:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/dreadfin2.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/dreadfin1.jpg

and here are some closeup details:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/dreadfin_details.jpg

TYRANOODLE
02-02-2008, 22:39
Very Dynamic

Like the shooty Termies best though.

kkoene
03-02-2008, 00:02
Very nice looking army! Consider me subscribed!

Strelok
03-02-2008, 23:59
And to think that these guys were originally only going to be a small detachment... wicked job, Eric, keep em coming!

Gonfrask
04-02-2008, 01:20
The work in the Dread is amazing, a great model with a lot of personality.

titan136
07-02-2008, 05:54
And to think that these guys were originally only going to be a small detachment... wicked job, Eric, keep em coming!

Yeah i know..so much for 750 points huh? where ya been man?

Thanks guys glad you like the dread. I've starting painting him up. I'm trying to put a lot more effort into him than I would a normal mini as I'm entering him into a painting comp at my local GW next week.

I've finished the basis of the CCW arm, I usually add the writing and litanies at the end:

I hope you can tell I've done a lot more blending on the surfaces and let me tell you, trying to do that on black is not easy!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/dread_arm.jpg

I've also started on the legs but now that i see the photos there's a lot of stuff i need to go back and redo...the mythril looks too messy...
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/dread_legs.jpg

And i've also built up my Sword Brethren into a squad, just waiting on some shoulder pads to arrive in the mail and to convert up some more CSM backpacks:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/swordbrethrenWIP1.jpg

here's a scale shot of my Sword brethren with a normal marine:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/swordbrethren_scale.jpg

hallowed_are_the_ori
07-02-2008, 06:13
Sweet dude, lovin it

Strelok
07-02-2008, 06:35
I've been busy, unfortunately. Luckily, the current commission is quite fun, though its a lot of black so I feel your pain with the blending. Honestly, the terminators are very similar to yours in some ways. However, I've pretty much been in the tank and not been on warseer too much. I'm just now trying to get back into the community now that I'm finishing up this commission. Your BTs are definitely awesome, they've developed well. I really like the vehicles. I might be needing some hints, as I've got a few vehicles of my own to do soon.

titan136
10-02-2008, 04:39
Glad to hear it AJ, any pics to show?

I'm almost done the Dreadnought. Most of the basic painting is done. All i need is a few touchups and to add the litanies/additional maltesse crosses. As you may or may not be able to see, I've fixed the messy metallics on the back of the legs. I've got a few more days to do everything else I need for this guy and the painting comp judging is on thursday. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve him to be...the best that he can be? Also, anyone have any names? I was thinking Sigismund...because frankly noone knows what happened to the black templars founder...

Pictures!
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/dread5.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/dread2.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/dread3.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/dread4.jpg

Kasrkin 666
10-02-2008, 04:50
I'm normally a Black Templar hater, but your Templars are an exception!;) :eek: is all that comes to mind when I see them.

-Sunny:rolleyes:

Strelok
11-02-2008, 20:16
That thing is excellent. The use of the bone color really sets it off, especially on the helm (reminds me of the old bretonnian plastic helms from the warhammer fantasy box from back in the day). I can't wait to see it with more litanies and crosses, I think that's my favorite part of your templars. Are you going to add a cross or two over the vision slits on the helm? And as for my work, do you have MSN or AIM?

Gonfrask
11-02-2008, 23:45
Whoa! Great painting job. You have done a very nice central piece for your army.

A name?¿? Well Sigismund is good, but about an Artorius or similar?

titan136
12-02-2008, 00:32
Whoa! Great painting job. You have done a very nice central piece for your army.

A name?¿? Well Sigismund is good, but about an Artorius or similar?

I'm going with a French theme for my names so i'm throwing out Sigismund. Someone on another forum suggested Leforte (the strong) so i'm thinking i might use that :) Yes I'm glad to finally finish a centre piece. The next one will be the LRC!!!

That thing is excellent. The use of the bone color really sets it off, especially on the helm (reminds me of the old bretonnian plastic helms from the warhammer fantasy box from back in the day). I can't wait to see it with more litanies and crosses, I think that's my favorite part of your templars. Are you going to add a cross or two over the vision slits on the helm? And as for my work, do you have MSN or AIM?

Well here's some more litanies as promised:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/dread_front.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/dread_right.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/dread_left.jpg

AJ, i'm sending you a pm with my msn

Col. Wales
12-02-2008, 01:36
Wow just Wow...

Zealot
13-02-2008, 05:55
Could we get a recipe for that bone color? It is absolutely fantastic.

Templar-Sun
13-02-2008, 11:40
Fantastic dread, good luck in the competition. The maltese cross on the loin cloth looks a little funky tho. Might just be the photo...'

Templar-Sun

LordXaras
13-02-2008, 12:46
I'm going with a French theme for my names so i'm throwing out Sigismund. Someone on another forum suggested Leforte (the strong) so i'm thinking i might use that :)
A name that never fails me is D'Ours - Ours meaning "Bear".

Awesome army, btw. Very Templar-y :D

brother alinski
13-02-2008, 21:06
Dude this stuff is awsom! i cant wait to see how your tech marine pans out and im lovind the scouts

verydarkshadow
14-02-2008, 02:10
Wow...I'd say you just made the perfect dreadnaught! Congradulations!

titan136
22-02-2008, 05:28
Could we get a recipe for that bone color? It is absolutely fantastic.

The bone was built up from a basecoat of snakebite leather and layered up by gradually adding more bleached bone. the final highlight on the edges is 50-50 bleach bone and white.

I ended up winning all three categories in the painting comp (large model, squad and single) by entering the dread, my assault terminator and marshal. Black power armor ruled the day!

Here are a couple of updates:

2 Crusaders to fill out my shooty squads:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/shooters1.jpg

WIP Rhino #4:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/rhino4WIP.jpg

hiveminion
22-02-2008, 09:58
Congrats on the results in the painting competition, and let me just echo that the Dreadnought is awesome! Great idea of using a banner as a loincloth too.

Crusaders and Rhino are looking good, keep it up mate and I can't wait to see more!

Templar-Sun
22-02-2008, 12:47
Congrats! Well deserved wins as your work is fantastic.

Templar-Sun

explodingseashells
23-02-2008, 14:19
Amazing stuff.

titan136
24-02-2008, 04:45
thanks guy

finished the rhino:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/rhino4_fin.jpg

group armor shot:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/templar_armor.jpg

scale comparison to show you how big my dread actually is:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/dread_comparison.jpg

Dromedar
24-02-2008, 12:42
Still loooks awesome!
Keep it up ;)

rickie8437
09-03-2008, 18:22
looking good

keep up the great work if i can get my camra fixed i'll show you my templars

rick

Fenriz
09-03-2008, 18:24
I dont normally like Black Templars much, but this army is bloody amazing.

You should be proud of yourself. Keep up the good work!

Dont suppose youre doing any power armoured sword brethren are you?

Faolan
10-03-2008, 03:43
I am astounded, impressed, etc etc.

Looks... great!

Is your camera closer of any larger shots? (Or maybe you've just cropped and resized down a ton)

Normally I approve of the photo size, but I don't think that one huge photo, of say the Marshal or a Crusader, would be out of place.

pfulk4u
22-03-2008, 00:03
dude.. i am speechless
you have officially made me want to start my BT army.. again

and i thought my nurgle guys looked cool =S

titan136
04-04-2008, 17:12
Dromedar, thanks mate!

rickie, did you ever get a chance to take pics of your templars? i haven't been on warseer in a while.

Fenriz, check a couple of pages back for my Sword Brethren conversions

Faolan, there are some large pictures of the marshal in the first few pages of this log if you're interested.

pfulk4u, glad to hear it. the great crusader could always use a few more templars

I've done up another assault squad:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/IMG_2565.jpg

and updated my army shot:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/IMG_2575.jpg

I'm currently working on painting two Land Raider Crusaders:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/LRCs.jpg

Girathon
04-04-2008, 17:44
All I can say is a bad-ass looking army Titan, something to be really proud of.

G

rev
04-04-2008, 18:09
big fan of the bone and metalics on the dred, and the whole army together looks really good!

rev

Inexorable
10-04-2008, 22:44
As a brand new entrant to the world of WH40k miniatures, with a desire to start a BT army, your work is positively awe-inspiring. Makes me want to buy more minis and figure out how to paint well.

projectkmo
10-04-2008, 23:34
Wow! I am so glad this post got bumped and I found it....

I just picked up some BT upgrade kits and some other goodies and was hoping to get my own BT Army started soon.

Your work is incredible! Consider me subscribed!

- John

goblinmedics
17-04-2008, 03:51
Hey, these are great looking! Glad I stumbled upon this thread.

I've been looking to start some Templars, since they look as if they'll be hard in 5th edition. I'd like to do em as close to this standard as possible.

The main thing I was wondering about is your whites and bone colors. For example, how do you do the white on the aquilas on the chest plates, and the power fists? How about the bone color like on your dread's assault cannon arm? Finally, what about the cloth? I'm really interested, and if you're willing to help me out with a color palate and technique, I'd be much obliged :D

titan136
20-04-2008, 05:44
i think everyone should start a BT army, they're a lot of fun to both paint and play!

Goblinmedics. My whites are essentially just bleached bone with a little skull white mixed in. I start with a scorched brown basecoat. And then a layer of snakebite. Then 50-50 bleached bone and snakebite. Then pure bleached bone. I pretty much do all my whites that way, with maybe a few more layers for larger stuff like tanks and the dread. if you have any other specific questions, let me know and i'll do what i can to help.

Oh and I've finished the first of two LRCs
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/LRC1.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/LRC3.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/LRC2.jpg

Light of the Emperor
20-04-2008, 05:48
That is one sick landraider! Very gothic looking and the colors fit together so well. You should be very proud! I am looking forward to the next one.

dr.oetk3r
20-04-2008, 05:54
Oh mama, that is Black Templar.

goblinmedics
20-04-2008, 06:51
That raider does look amazing, what with all the iconography. And your freehanding is great, too.

I did send ya a PM with a couple more questions. Thanks again for your help!

Cassarus
20-04-2008, 10:26
Awsome work!
It's a realy good looking army, and I cant wait to see the next update.

Cheers

Dromedar
20-04-2008, 15:37
Still aswesome! keep it up :)