PDA

View Full Version : Who here is a "tournament" player

dodicula
01-05-2007, 05:27
One of the responses to the post about GW catering to tournament players, I don't really have an opinion either way on that, but it did make me curious, what percentage of people here play in tournaments, and how often. After voting please feel free to post about what kind of tournament you enter, where and why. Also how long have you been going to tournies.

I myself wont travel more than 70 miles to go to a tournament and my main "goal" is to play people, armies, army tactics and army composition styles that I don't normally get to play against, and to feel great shame at my painting skills.
I go to two or three tourney's a year, and mostly they are in the GT format . (50+ players, 2 days, 5 games), thought not necessarily GTs.

Bretagne
01-05-2007, 05:29
im a tournament player lol. im going to try to go at least once a year. maybe two if i can afford it!!

dodicula
01-05-2007, 05:30
IKYWG! Now vote dammit!

Wargamejunkie
01-05-2007, 05:33
I think tournaments are an easy way to meet a wide variety of new players.

Bretagne
01-05-2007, 05:36
I think tournaments are an easy way to meet a wide variety of new players.

i'll say, check out a thread devoted to just that! (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82033)

The_Dark_Raven
01-05-2007, 05:43
i myself havent gone to any yet, though im hoping to go any chance i can get. I recently miss Conflict but a guy from ireland came down to sydney for conflict while here his local hobby store was mine too:D

he had some sweet models and was great fun to be around...he placed 3rd in the event:eek:

so after that i myself am hoping to get to an event to test my skills when it comes to points and a rank

TheWarSmith
01-05-2007, 06:22
I'm not a fan of tournaments at all. Around my area, they seem to create relatively bad players, meaning that they're so concerned with winning, they ruin the fun for themselves and myself. I try to avoid tournament players who i know are like this, so i certainly would never pay to compete against them.

Briohmar
01-05-2007, 07:29
I love tournaments because it gives you a chance to prove yourself against armies you wouldn't normally face. If I lose in a tournament to a brand new build that I've never faced before, I'm content, as it means I've learned something new, and I have to make an addition to my range of tactics. For instance, in my gaming group, we have a beasts player, a lizzie player, three chaos players (all different, and one is me) a skaven player, an Orc player, a DE player, and a VC player. In tourneys I get to face Empire, Wood Elves, Dwarves, Chaos dwarves, and Khemri. So my tactical knowledge gets more well rounded.
Plus, Its fun to show off my stuff. For each tournament I make at least one new unit, and further modify my display base. As I am considered a good painter, it gives me a level of pride to see players between games checking out my army, and thinking wow, I'd like to do something like that, too. And, I occasionally get comissioned to do a unit for somebody, which is good for me, as my wife doesn't like the game, or me going to tourneys so if I can come home and say, I'm going to make some Euros, she's a little bit easier on me.

Gorbad Ironclaw
01-05-2007, 08:25
I go to a couple of tournaments each yeah. The set ones are the WPS Club Challenge and there Fantasy GT(takes a bit of planning living in Denmark, but it's not to bad). Outside of that, I might attend one or two, but it's none to likely.

Mostly it's to meet up with friends and have a fun weekend. The pushing around of toy soldiers is fun, but it's not really the 'main goal' of the weekend.

the1stpip
01-05-2007, 12:46
Admittedly, since the WPS started using WW for their Club Challenge, all non-GW games have been dropped from the tournament.

It's not surprising, and I don't blame them. Its like walking into McDonalds and eating your Burger King...

C-Coen
01-05-2007, 12:50
I haven't ever been at a tournament, but when I've got a good painted playable army I will. Well, I think I will.

Gorbad Ironclaw
01-05-2007, 12:52
Admittedly, since the WPS started using WW for their Club Challenge, all non-GW games have been dropped from the tournament.

It's not surprising, and I don't blame them. Its like walking into McDonalds and eating your Burger King...

Not strickly true. We ran Flames of War last year in Warhammer World. It's only this year GW have put a ban on all non-GW systems. And I believe they are looking for a different venue for next years CC to allow it to return.

infernus31
01-05-2007, 13:23
I like tournaments havent been to a big one yet (aside from a lotr GT a while back in WW) but we have at least one a year between universities and it has been fun and I think overall far less easy to powergame then prehaps possible in 40K (though I do play both at tournaments)

Melkanador
01-05-2007, 13:23
I go to a tournament roundabout once a month because otherwise I won´t play much at all.

My traveltime to a tournament is generally not much more than to the gaming club I got to.

DeathlessDraich
01-05-2007, 13:26
I'm not a fan of tournaments at all. Around my area, they seem to create relatively bad players, meaning that they're so concerned with winning, they ruin the fun for themselves and myself. I try to avoid tournament players who i know are like this, so i certainly would never pay to compete against them.

Maybe you should cast your net further. Some tournaments have a very pleasant atmosphere.

Players are a mixture, even the non tournament players can spoil the fun.
The club I run contain only hand picked players who I know place enjoyment before anything else.

The UK GT and some big tournaments are notorious for churning out a very small minority of players who behave poorly, have dodgy dice and measure inaccurately to suit them and who insist on their own rules even when they are obviously wrong.
If you're unlucky to meet one of them, even the best insect repellant won't work.:D

EvC
01-05-2007, 13:27
A couple a year, but they're usually "friendly" tournaments, i.e. not GT. There may be a couple of power-gamer lists at the tourneys I attend but they're usually all up on the top tables by the third game, with half of them whining about the other half and their cheese, while I'm in the middle of the rankings having a damn good time against other easy-going competitors :D

Hywel
01-05-2007, 13:53
I occasionally go to tournaments. I tend to get prompted by the fact I have friends who are also attending and use it as an excuse to go drinking and play some toy soldiers in the day time. :p

Although I even won a tournament once, I don't really go for the generalship. I normally aim for best painted army and content myself with having a bunch of fun games against new people with new armies.

I also enjoy forming a group with like-minded people in the pub and grumbling about the weirdoes that have shown up to win! Most ungentlemanly.

Quin 242
01-05-2007, 13:55
I only really have time to play in tournements. Lucky for me there is one every month at the local store.
There seems to be different players each month which keeps it interesting. Last month was odd as there were ONLY MEQ's (necrons and Marines) to battle. I drew two fights against Necrons with my Eldar and had set up for all comers (i.e. I had some anti-horde) that didn't really work well against all MEQ's :(

Danger Rat
01-05-2007, 14:59
I go to about 6 tournaments a year, and really enjoy it, I go mainly because its a great way to play against new opponents and play against armies I don't normally play against. I played against an Ogre Kingdoms army for the first time ever this year and really enjoyed the game. You do get a very small minority of players who don't play in a friendly spirit and bend the rules, but 99% of players are just there to have a good time.

f2k
01-05-2007, 15:28
I've been to three tournaments so far. After the last one I promised myself that I’d never to go to another. They seem to be magnets for the worst kind of abusive power-gamers imaginable.

Lander
01-05-2007, 15:37
My local store has a 40k one once a month. I go if my schedules clear.

Finnigan2004
01-05-2007, 15:49
I go to tournaments quite a bit because it's the easiest way to play multiple games. I do enjoy the games a little less than other games because I find that my army selection is more limited, which is annoying to a non power gamer (some armies will just be no fun to play, as you watch your army get annihilated). Overall, I think that they are a really positive experience, but shoud be changed in some ways to make them more fun for all involved rather than a gathering of power armies looking to massacre people.

Angelwing
01-05-2007, 16:04
I have only ever been to one tournie, and I have to say I was expecting a horde of hard nosed play to win at any cost players. I only encountered one of those, who I managed to grind into the dust (use the terrain my friend, not run around in the open...!) The rest of the players where a joy to play against, with some hard fought, fun games.
I always play for a laugh, and my lists reflect that. Sometimes I come up with a list thats a bit over the top by accident, and I usually dont play that list again.
So, to answer the question, no I'm not a tournie player at heart.

Quin 242
01-05-2007, 16:12
I've been lucky in that most of the folks that play tournies here are a pleasure to play against. And as luck would have it I even got the best sportsman award last time.

There are a FEW exceptions where you just KNOW it's gonna be a suck ass game but you just perservere through that ONE player and get on with your day.
I have to admit I DO enjoy beating those folks down more than just a fun game that i win tho :)