PDA

View Full Version : 1st time WHFBer tries 1K Lizards

The_Dragon_Rising
01-05-2007, 19:14
Hero-Scar Vet with light armour, enchanted shield,great weapon, aura of quetzl=131pts

Hero-Skink Priest with dispel scroll=90pts

Core-15 Saurus Warriors with musician and standard bearer=198 pts

Core- 15 Saurus Warriors with musician and standard bearer=198pts

Core-10 Skink Skirmishers with blowpipes=60pts

Core- 10 Skink Skirmishers with Javelins and Shields=60pts

Special- 3 Kroxigor=174pts

Total=1001pts

As i am in my own words a n00b at this game i would like advice as to how this would play, if its a good/even legal list, etc. I think the main armies i would be facing are Chaos and Skaven though ive build this list for all comers

C-Coen
01-05-2007, 19:56
Good you've chosen the path of the children of the Old Ones.
Here are some toughts I had when looking at your list:

Hero-Scar Vet with light armour, enchanted shield,great weapon, aura of quetzl=131pts
I don't think the Aura of Quetzl is that useful. Normally you won't face many S5 attacks, so I think the Glyph Neclace is better. I also prefer a sword of might so you can use the shield and a strength bonus at the same time.

I would give at least one of these a lvl 2 upgrade. Always nice when casting the more difficult spells. (and normally these are more powerfull, exactly what you want!). Also a must have in the current edition is the Diadem of Power.

Core-15 Saurus Warriors with musician and standard bearer=198 pts

Core- 15 Saurus Warriors with musician and standard bearer=198pts

Core-10 Skink Skirmishers with blowpipes=60pts

Core- 10 Skink Skirmishers with Javelins and Shields=60pts

Looks good. Saurus Warriors are one of those nice fighty units in the game, and in my eyes relatively cheap, so use them. If you've got some points left it can be handy to make one of those Skink units scouts. Also, look at the equipment. Try it both out, and look what you like. I prefer blowpipes myself, but that's just me.. Skinks are fantastic. I once heard of a guy who didn't protect his Kroxigor and Sauri with Skinks, but he protected his Skinks. :)

Special- 3 Kroxigor=174pts

Nothing to say at this, I think they really are great. 9 S7 attacks.. always good.. :D

With what I said you'll need more points to spend. I always have that problem.. :rolleyes:
Maybe drop some Sauri, or even one of the Skink priests. Maybe someone can solve this problem..

huitzilopochtli
02-05-2007, 13:03
ok, 1000 point armys are fun for lizzys coz skinks are so cheap!

i usually take two priests, (both level two and one with diadem of power), and a scar vet. give the scar vet light armour, shield, great weapon and jaguar charm and the blessed spawning of sotek and he becomes perfect for taking out small units and sinngle characters!

i dnt own any saurus (all mine were lost/destroyed/eaten by my cat, :( ) so i mostly use skinks.
two units of ten skinks (blowpipes) 120
Salamander 65 points
Cold ones 8 with full command 330
chameleon skinks 6 90

this comes to.... 973, (i think) so you can add in an extra magic item as needed. (power stone or dispell scroll)

i agree that this is not a very balanced force, (better to take your saurus really than the cold ones) but its won me most of my games. just keep your general close to your skinks (where he's shielded from fire and they can use his ld.)

Tutore
02-05-2007, 13:33
the enchanted shield+great weapon combo puzzles me. As for the rest, sounds like a good list.

The_Dragon_Rising
03-05-2007, 17:43
the enchanted shield+great weapon combo puzzles me. As for the rest, sounds like a good list.

Checked in the rules forum and basically it means that even though i miss out on the combat +1 boost it does still give me the +2 boost making the save 3+.(However new build uses the shield so hes got a 1+ save in combat)

One thing im worried about is my skinks having all their spells dispelled- what are the chances of this happening-main expected opponents are tzeentch, khorne and skaven.

Also what is the usefulness of a ward save in 1000pts? should i go for good armour or a ward save?

How about this for a slightly changed list.

Hero: Scar Vet with Sword of Might,Enchanted Shield,Charm of the Jaguar Warrior,Light Armour=137pts

Hero: Lvl 1 Skink Priest:2 Dispel Scrolls=115pts

Core-16 Saurus Warriors with musician and standard bearer=210 pts

Core- 16 Saurus Warriors with musician and standard bearer=210 pts

Core-10 Skink Skirmishers w/blowpipes and scout=70pts

Core-14 Skink Skirmishers w/Javelins and Shields=84pts

Special- 3 Kroxigors=174pts

Total-1000pts

Gambit
03-05-2007, 19:39
For magic at 1K, I either go:

Defense - 1 Lev1, w/ 2 dispell scrolls
Offense - 2 Lev2, 1 w/ ds, 1 w/ diadem

Usually I just go Defense, and consider any spells he gets off to be gravy. Magic is rather unpredictable anyhow, and I'm not crazy about Heavens.

The_Dragon_Rising
05-05-2007, 10:39
List edited slightly-just found out against khorne offensive magic wont work to well so im taking gambits advice and going defensive. An extra saurus has been added to each unit to use avaliable points taking it to exactly 1k.

Aelyn
05-05-2007, 12:26
List edited slightly-just found out against khorne offensive magic wont work to well so im taking gambits advice and going defensive. An extra saurus has been added to each unit to use avaliable points taking it to exactly 1k.

If he's playing Khorne, there's really no need to take magical defense. Khornate armies only very, very rarely have Wizards, and it's insanely unfluffy. You won't face any at 1K.