PDA

View Full Version : Wargames foundry?

Auzu
01-05-2007, 22:38
Does anyone know how Wargames Foundry's RENAISSANCE range compare in scale to GW miniatures?

Griefbringer
01-05-2007, 22:48
Depends on which part of the range you mean - I have their landsknechts, conquistadors and Elisabethans, and the landsknechts are smaller (and of truer proportions anatomically) than the two other sorts.

In a similar way, there is a variety of size in GW figures, both between and inside ranges (try comparing various Empire releases from 1991 to 2007 and you will notice it).

In general, I would say that the Foundry models suit fine for use in WHFB with GW models, but there might be cases where you might not want to mix them in the same unit.

Axel
01-05-2007, 22:59
The landsknechts are smaller, but not decisively so. They cannot be used in the same unit as the new Empire soldiers, but mix up relatively good with the older ranges. Characters include well. In my Imperial army Foundry mix with GW, Gamezone and the odd Landsknecht (or derivate) from other companies. The main problem is that newer GWs tend to have absurdly oversized weapons - the new outriders pistols dwarf the musket of the Foundry musketeers, and are imho not usable in a "historical" styled army.

I could make some photos with comparative sizes if you tell me what lines you intend to mix.

Auzu
02-05-2007, 04:20
I was thinking of using there landsknechts for my infantry and with converted GW plastic knights and the new pistoliers.

As long as my infantry doesn't look like midgets it would work out I think.

Griefbringer
02-05-2007, 07:48
Look here for some very impressive pictures of an ramy mixing the Foundry pikemen with plastic Empire knights (and some other figures):

http://www.warcabinet.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/army_showcase%20%20italian%20wars.htm

Truely lovely looking - I hope I would be able to paint my models that impressively!

Auzu
02-05-2007, 20:23
Ultimate cool Griefbringer. :)

Btw does the pike men come with loose pikes or are they part of them to say?

Llew
02-05-2007, 21:20
We use Foundry miniatures alongside our Warhammer miniatures for WFRPG sessions. They're within range.

ZeroTwentythree
02-05-2007, 22:35
I agree with what the other have said. The gendarmes are beautiful figures, but would definitely not mix with GW knights. I've mixed the Foundry lansknechts with older GW and they generally look fine to me.

If I can remember, I will take a pic or two for comparison.

ZeroTwentythree
03-05-2007, 13:58
Here's a couple photos showing some size comparisons. Sorry I don't have any gengarmes/knights painted up, and the only one I've got from Citadel is Mad Marius. But the pics show the big difference betwen the three, especially in regards to the horses. I'm not certain I'd mix any of the three manufacturers.

As far as the handgunners, you can see them lined up from smallest to largest in the first pic. It looks a bit extreme, but check out how little difference there actually is when I put the smallest figure next to the largest. However, these are older Citadel figures, and from the look of it, the new figures are wielding small cannons and wearing some sort of giant griffon feathers, so would probably look a bit goofy with any of the figures in the photo. However, I don't think the four options in the pic look bad together.

Griefbringer
10-05-2007, 13:20
Btw does the pike men come with loose pikes or are they part of them to say?

The models come with open hands, so you can glue in whatever sort of weapon you want.

Notice that the blister packs necessarily don't come with the pikes - though the collections/hordes I have got from them have arrived with an extra box of pikes thrown in.

ZeroTwentythree
10-05-2007, 16:23
The packs of pikemen I have are older (blue card backing) and they came with halberds in the pack. This was before Foundry sold pikes, IIRC, and you had to make your own. I don't know if they still come with halberds or if those have to be purchased separately.

I made my pikes by taking florist wire, cutting them down to my desired pike length, smashing one flat with a pair of smooth surfaced pliers, then trimming clipping the flattened portion to a pike point. I probably got 100 for about $1 and an hour or two of modeling work.

Griefbringer
11-05-2007, 05:42
None that I have (bought during the last two years) came with halberds - and I would have really appreciated getting a couple of halberds.

Axel
11-05-2007, 10:19
How many do you need?

I bought two packs lately on eBay that came with Helbards, and I do not really have a use for them. I prefer them with pikes...

Crazy Harborc
12-05-2007, 02:44
GREAT photos there...Griefbringer. I am going to be making a roster tonight for next Friday's battle.....I will be pushing Empire/DoW....sort of. Anyway, I REALLY enjoyed those photos.

By the by. I buy Old Glory pikes.....They can be cut in half or thirds and you've got double the spears.

IMHO, Old Glory....check out their Renaissance/Religious wars minies. Some of those minies are eyeball to eyeball with GWs....I use GW's plastic 20 by 20mm plastic bases. I use the horse bases too.

It's always possible to pile whatever on those bases to give smaller minies more height. I've done that with MANY models. Bulsa wood under the feet of the short ones. THEN I glue the minies with their wooden bases onto the 20 by 20mm plastic bases...THOSE are not frontline but "hide well" within units.

Griefbringer
12-05-2007, 08:30
Axel, I could swap those halberds for something from my bits box - will drop you a PM to settle out details.

As for the photos I posted, as said they are not mine - and actually there are plenty of other great wargaming piccies on the same site:

http://www.warcabinet.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/army_showcase.htm

Axel
12-05-2007, 11:44
Here are some photos taken from my collection of Renaissance/Empire soldiers. You will find GW, Foundry, Gamezone and some other stuff within here (mostly unpainted yet).

I had to compromise between basing the soldiers as dense as historical, and using the Warhammer standard bases. I decided to go for the latter, so that they can be used in WFB - it will be hard, though to actually move any enemy regiment into contact with the lowered pikes...

BTW: I can hardly bear to include any of the new Empire handgunners or crossbowmen into my collection, though, for their excessive size and stupid pose. The Outriders also are out, again for excessively sized horses and guns. There are some of the new Empire soldiers on the right - while they will look good within the same army, the can not rally be mixed within a unit, for slighly larger size, different clothing style and a lack of detail.