PDA

View Full Version : Which army do you think is the most competetitive

Khorne warrior
02-05-2007, 02:18
>>Which army, placed in the hands of equal-abilitied generals do you think is the most competetive (wins the most) and why?

Voodoo Boyz
02-05-2007, 03:34
Right now, Chaos. Most specifically, Iron Warriors.

After that it breaks down to Eldar (Hybrid/Mech-Holofield Skimmer Spam) and then Tyranids (Godzilla).

After that Marines come in, possibly sometimes in between Godzilla & Eldar, but it's fickle. Tau can also compete very well and many times can come out on top of the Marines.

Outside of the clear cut top two (Chaos/IW & Eldar) things start becoming hazy.

Champsguy
02-05-2007, 06:24
Depends who you're fighting against. All that Chaos crap doesn't mean a thing if you fight an army that plays to its weaknesses.

Short answer: there is no answer. There is no single "best" army. Iron Warriors sound all good until someone brings in Dark Eldar with 50 Dark Lances. There is no one single army better than all others, period.

Plebian
02-05-2007, 06:28
I'd say, that given equally skilled generals, Dark Eldar, Iron Warriors and Tau, in that order. Voodoo makes some good points, though,
-Plebian

MALICIOUS LOGIC
02-05-2007, 09:04
It's the Iron Warriors by far. Especially in a tournament. They are well rounded and can adapt to any opponent. The Oblitorators can choose which weapons to fire in the middle of a game and always move forward. The Daemon Prince is fast and amazing in close combat. The Lord can have Infiltrate and Daemonic Speed (first turn assault). The infantry can have Infiltrate and every squad can have a Power Fist wielding Champion plus the Mark if Chaos Undivided. They can have Defilers and a Basilisk with indirect fire. Stick them in opposite corners and they can hit every inch of the table.

They have insanely powerful fire power and incredible close combat. Best of all, they can adapt to any opponent mid-game.

Urban Knight
02-05-2007, 09:16
Which is why Iron Warriors are generally regarded as 'Broken'.

Although they can be beaten quite easily.

Cirenivel
02-05-2007, 11:06
With "competitive", do you mean "broken"? If so, then i would have to say iron Warriors. Just because they can have 4 heavy supports, and imperial equipment.

Cirenivel

Getifa Ubazza
02-05-2007, 11:50
The most competative army out there is those damned cheesy Orks, They are so overpowered, it isnt even funny. Ork players lose games on purpose so they can get simpathy and have everyone believe there list is bad.

jansuza
02-05-2007, 12:09
I'd say, that given equally skilled generals, Dark Eldar, Iron Warriors and Tau, in that order. Voodoo makes some good points, though,
-Plebian

With equal skilled generals, I think DE would never come out on top. They have to use tricks that a general of equal skills would figure out. You have to be a better general with DE, unless you play with 27DL's

I'd say IW, then Bugzilla then eldar

Voodoo Boyz
02-05-2007, 12:17
Dark Eldar are one of those special spoiler armies, and are therefore so awesome.

With the right web way portal + Lots of Raiders w/ Wytches & Warriors one can setup an army that can prevail even against Nidzilla or IW. And there's very little the IW player can do about it, especially if terrain is setup fairly generally and not just in deployment zones.

A web way portal army can set it up so that by the time they advance and open the portals, just by advancing a tiny bit past the 24" mark, they can charge anywhere on the board when the Raiders become available, with nothing the opponent can do to stop it.

Granted, there are some armies that can just wipe them terribly, but they can spoil an otherwise undefeated Nidzilla or IW army's day at a tournament.

ashc
02-05-2007, 12:25
Dark Eldar always came over as a sort of 'all or nothing' army; when i see them play they either win big or lose big.

The kings of competitiveness (and brokenness) Is definitely the abused Iron Warrior list.

Ash

northoceanbeach
02-05-2007, 12:42
I'll go
1. Chaos
2. Eldar
3. Necrons
4. Tau/Tyranids(tie)
5. Marines
6. Guard
7. Dark Eldar
8. Inquisition
9. Ork

I put necrons because they are one army like chaos that can beat anyone. Think about how mobile and resilient they are against nidzilla. Think about how easily they take down the mechanized eldar and tau lists everyone else fears.

Outlaw289
02-05-2007, 13:29
Iron Warriors, certain Eldar lists, min-maxed AssCan Marines

Democratus
02-05-2007, 19:55
Gotta go with the Iron Warriors as well.

Can't wait to see the Chaos redo with this next Codex. Then we'll see who is really into IW for the "cool fluff and color scheme" and who was just using that as an excuse to smash other players. :)

Plebian
02-05-2007, 23:34
The most competative army out there is those damned cheesy Orks, They are so overpowered, it isnt even funny. Ork players lose games on purpose so they can get simpathy and have everyone believe there list is bad.

Finally someone who sees the truth!
-Plebian

Colonel Deal
03-05-2007, 01:52
Can't wait to see the Chaos redo with this next Codex. Then we'll see who is really into IW for the "cool fluff and color scheme" and who was just using that as an excuse to smash other players. :)

Amen to that. I play IW for the background in siege warfare. I don't even own a defiler and only have three oblits which only get fielded in 2000pt games.

Marine_Player
03-05-2007, 02:02
Blood Angels with Death Company assault jump pack army list.

Cosmic_Girl
03-05-2007, 02:03
Hi,

I'm gonna go with Eldar. I didn't lose all that many games with them to start with and then basically every unit got cheaper and more powerful. After that I'd say fast Tyranid armies are fairly hard to beat, then Necrons.

C-Girl.

Plebian
03-05-2007, 05:41
Hi,

I'm gonna go with Eldar. I didn't lose all that many games with them to start with and then basically every unit got cheaper and more powerful. After that I'd say fast Tyranid armies are fairly hard to beat, then Necrons.

C-Girl.

Well, it really depends on what breed of Eldar you take. Footsloggers or Gunline have not been sucessful when opponents of mine have taken them, but my Eldar Flying Circus(Copyrighted) does quite well. Few armies can deal with 2 Falcons, 2 Waveserpents and 3 Vypers at 1500 pts;)
-Plebian

Ravenous
03-05-2007, 05:45
Nidzilla all the way.

You can put that thing in the hands of someone that has just started and it will trounch most armies.

Iron warriors and chaos are overrated.

xibo
03-05-2007, 06:55
With the speed kult list being legal in tournaments I wouldn't rate orks as the least competetive army ...

The bolter god
03-05-2007, 11:14
I agree with plebian Iron Warriors are far more competative than any of the other armies tough i would say tau and Eldar are close behind them plus with the new Dark angels codex out their good competion with the new squads and weapons.:)

TzarNikolai
03-05-2007, 12:32
1. iron warriors
2. eldar, other chaos
3. Nids, Tau
4. Sm, possibly DE, possibly necrons
5. possibly DE, possibly necrons, guard, WH
6. DH, Orks

which actually makes me kinda gutted because i own 5 falcon hulls (i had 3 from a couple of years back and was planning to buy some WS conversion kits from forgeworld, then bought 2 fire prisms for 20 each) but now i really really don't want to play eldar

-iron warriors are unquestionably the best list till september :evilgrin:
-chaos have a huge number of options from all infiltrating armies, veteran skills left right and centre, infiltrating speed lt's, sirens. not to mention that tank hunting havoks are probably the best unit for taking out a falcon or waveserpent.
-eldar have the resilience and the mobility to be a threat to anyone and their heavy support tanks have absolutely amazing resilience.
-godzilla nids have the advantage that you can't stop a carnifex firing until you kill it. combined with how much anti infantry fire they put out from twin devourers and that venom cannons are amazing at stopping enemy vehicles firing make them a real threat.
-crisis/hammerhead tau: hammerheads are mini falcons. they die to around 1 in 6 glances as opposed to one in 9 and have an ace gun (ok, not all that useful against marines but will almost guarantee a glance against a falcon, and ignore most eldar armour) and crisis suits are really hard to get a firing line on. especially when the first couple of wounds will result in the removal of shield drones.
-drop podding Sm can be really nasty especially with things like fear of the dark and tank hunting assault cannons. they have a nearly zero risk entry method and won't be all clumped up like deepstrikers, as well as having their own wall separating them from any static threats. however bad reserve rolls or opponents immune to fear or with high mobility wil ruin your day.
-DE webway assaults and the strength of wyches as well as the sheer amount of heavy weapons makes them really strong, their main weakness is their extreme fragility and the lowest ld (no special rules) in the game

again, some armies will easily beat others, but what makes an army do well is being able to do consistently well against all opponents. so please no more "army A will easily beat iron warriors..." if it can and will get thrashed by something else.