PDA

View Full Version : Kroot Kindred of the Bloody Moon

Apologist
02-05-2007, 09:44
My enthusiasm has waxed and waned for this kroot project for years. I love the models and the background, and have finally bitten the bullet and dug them out.

This involved finding them spread all over the place under my bed, in drawers, at a mate's house even in the glovebox of my mini!

Damn kroot get everywhere!

Here's the test colour scheme:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/Cpl_Saint/Kindred%20of%20the%20Bloody%20Moon/Kindred3.jpg
Wan' some candy, mistah poleees-maan?

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/Cpl_Saint/Kindred%20of%20the%20Bloody%20Moon/KINDRED2.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/Cpl_Saint/Kindred%20of%20the%20Bloody%20Moon/Kindred1.jpg

Here's a squad of hunting knarlocs, led my the master shaper.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/Cpl_Saint/Kindred%20of%20the%20Bloody%20Moon/Kindred5.jpg
Sure it's illegal to have him on a knarloc, but screw the rules I think it looks cool.

Comments, critique and suggestions are welcome.

Strelok
02-05-2007, 09:50
The skin tone kind of reminds me of the look of a lobster thrown in a pot of boiling water. However, this does not stop it from looking good, as I really like the skin tone, the most out of any part of the model. I think the shoulderpad needs to be a different color, it seems too clean for a kroot. You could also battle-damage it, that would work too.

Inquisitor Konig
02-05-2007, 09:52
I like it I like it. Kroot are really cool and that test mini looks real nice. I am in the same way... I have only one box of Kroot but they are all over the place... on the shelf, in the bitz box, some I have put together but their arms fell under the bed, exc...

What else are you going to have in your army?

Apologist
02-05-2007, 10:27
I want the army to look like a tribe made up of three or four kindreds; with one kindred clearly in charge. This'll give me the opportunity to play around with other colour schemes while still looking vaguely uniform.

Vague army composition:

HQ:
Master Shaper on hunting knarloc (see above), painted with a creamy yellow. Not sure on the Knarloc yet perhaps a creamy yellow with turquoise 'tiger' stripes?
Shaper Council on foot, each painted in one of the different kindred schemes.

Elites:
Six Knarloc riders, painted in the creamy yellow.
Ten Headhunters, painted in the test scheme.

Troops:
A kindred of 13 carnivores, two krootoxen and three hounds painted creamy-yellow.
A kindred of 11 carnivores, a kroot ox and a hound painted creamy yellow.
A kindred of 10 carnivores, painted red.

Fast attack:
Three trackers, painted in a pale green/turquoise. Not sure about the riding knarlocs, either. P'raps red?

Heavy Support:
Hunter Kindred, painted red.
Three Great Knarlocs, painted creamy-yellow.

Sling
02-05-2007, 11:06
Oh wow, great to see some kroot here and there :chrome: I seem to be liking the schceme...

Eniac
02-05-2007, 12:07
I think the blue/white is far too bright and pure for Kroot. Since you got "blood" in the name why don't you do them red or terracotta? Something dark but rich and towards the red end of the scale.

jasevx
02-05-2007, 12:33
Great to see these, as much as I hated painting Tau, I loved the Kroot. Keep it up!

Strelok
02-05-2007, 13:11
I'm leaning toward red or brown just as Eniac is. And he IS the first computer so you should probably listen to him.

Apologist
02-05-2007, 13:37
Mmm.... maybe I'll switch to red.

Far more likely is that the armour'll get switched to heavily-weathered miscellaneous scrap of armour which then have a deep red symbol on.

The turquoisey-white you see here matches my buddy's harlequins, for example I rather like the 'looted' nature of the force.

Cheers for the feedback so far any clever ideas for symbols/colours etc will be well-received, and probably used!

jasevx
02-05-2007, 13:46
I always see Kroot as American Indian, from the outside they look savages, but they turned out to be misunderstood, and highly advanced. Look at their artwork

Apologist
02-05-2007, 15:15
I like the Native American feel to the kroot, too so I'm quite tempted to do some pulp 'Red Indian'-style bits, like feathers, gee-strings and so forth.

However, this army is being made in conjunction with grahamgilchrist's Snakebite orks, so there's going to be quite a lot of cross-pollination there, too..

GrahamGilchrist
02-05-2007, 16:48
Kroot Kroot.
Kroot kroot kroot

Most excellent colour scheme.
That is all

Boss_Salvage
02-05-2007, 19:06
... but screw the rules I think it looks cool.

I think I'm sigging the above, but I'll keep you posted :D

I'm a big big fan of Kroot and a big fan of your armies too, so I'll be following this project log to be sure. Love the test scheme you put up, and that includes the white shoulder pad (and his speckles!), though I see where you're going with different shoulder pad colors and such. As to different skin colors on the kroot themselves, I actually prefer unified kroot forces, but fluff-wise I agree it's more likely you'd see a few groups banded together under a more powerful tribe & shaper.

Now, more kroot!

- Salvage

Also, how about those AdMech??? :chrome:

Bob Hunk
02-05-2007, 21:36
Rejoice! More excellent painting from Apologist! :D But when are we going to see those Ad Mech again? ;)

Weregerbil
02-05-2007, 23:02
Woo hoo more kroot! I really like the kroot army, I am just far too lazy to anything like this though.

The test mini looks good as dothe riders.

Inquisitor Konig
03-05-2007, 00:29
which are the kroots that get ambush? you should take those!
keep it up

Lord Blood the Hungry
03-05-2007, 20:35
bumped into this thread and had to post

kroot are looking great.

looking forward to seeing the knarlocs painted.
you should definitely give them tiger stripes (dinosaurs supposedly had them)
browny cream with greeny turquoise stripes?
greeny yellow with black stripes?
turquoise with bluey green?
zebra?
leopard?

red indian theme: warpaint. small the odd hand print or dag, single swirl or small area of dots.
things woven between the feathers/quills
beads
skins (no, not rolling papers....but peace pipes would be ok)

Apologist
11-05-2007, 14:19
Bit of a request for help, really. Anyone got any ideas for scenic bases for two great Knarlocs? I'm putting 'em on CDs, and need something to fill the space.

swamp_slug
11-05-2007, 14:38
Depends on what sort of terrain the rest of the army is going to be on, but you can't really go wrong with a few tree bark "rocks" or a few dead enemies, possibly with the goaders having a little mid-battle snack :D

sanctusmortis
11-05-2007, 14:40
I too have srpue upon sprue of them about, from when I bought the original army box...

I like the sceme as is. There's some nice contrast in there too...