PDA

View Full Version : Loyal Chapter.. er.. customs, that sort

Aun'aart'al
05-08-2005, 07:33
ok, so.. Ive read from someone elses Fluff on here that while entering the Chapter, the new member must gouge out their eyes and place them into made sockets for them, because they use the Force.. er.. the WARP to help them see (teehee :p ), and I know that the Flesh Terrors can rape and pillage the innocent because they got crazy because of the battle they were just in.. but.. I want to know one thing;

What things seperate the different Chapters, like.. Blood Angels and the Black Rage, Flesh Terrors and er.. flesh terring-thingie, Dark Angels and being paranoid about someone finding out what skeletons they have in their closets, etc. etc.

I would like to know so that I can give my Chapter something as well, otherwise I feel that it would just be too plain boring in that area of the Fluff :(

(God only knows I hope I made sence in this posting)

Spacejens
05-08-2005, 08:49
To be brief: Lots. As long as you remember that they are essentially brain-washed supermen, you could invent almost any customs for them. They range from reclusive scholars, to wild and fierce warriors, to disciplined fanatics.

Read the Index Astartes articles (available in book form from GW). They contain a wealth of fluff on Space Marines, both general fluff and chapter-specific fluff (origins, history, customs, tactics). They are great.

TheSonOfAbbadon
05-08-2005, 11:27
They're the Flesh TEARERS not TERRORS. And they can't rape peeps, it's physically impossible and, despite their insanity, still illegal.

Some individual things could be acknowledging regular humans as such, and not just think they're weak little insignificant nothings. Your space marine chapter might act as police on their home world instead of a military force. Their homeworld might be the place where they are based, but they could get their warriors from a nearby death world, where the primitive population consider it a great honour to be chosen by the magnificent metal men in their flying metal huts. There are loads of things your chapter could do to make them individual.

Aun'aart'al
05-08-2005, 18:28
And they can't rape peeps, it's physically impossible and, despite their insanity, still illegal.

its just a saying.. "rape, pillage, and plunder"

TheSonOfAbbadon
05-08-2005, 18:55
I've never heard of it used as a saying before.

Besides, you only said rape and pillage. :P

x-esiv-4c
05-08-2005, 18:58
Don't the Imperial fists scribe the names of their fallen comrades on their bones? I seem to remember something like that from the Inquisitor war series.

warpoet
05-08-2005, 19:08
As someone said, you can do just about anything in your chapter's fluff.

I'd like to present three suggestions:

1) Avoid making them "the best this" or "the first that." Official fluff contains most of those type things, and at any rate, I find the average much more compelling (as average as a space marine can be, I suppose).

2) Consider what chapter contributed the first gene seed for your chapter. Most successor chapters venerate that Primarch somehow.

3) Never, ever, write a background that somehow justifies you changing any established rules. In fact, I would always suggest using Ultramarine rules for Do It Yourself chapters. Those special folks--angels, wolves, etc--are exceptions to the rules.

and four, the Butt Monkeys are mine. Hands off.

TheSonOfAbbadon
05-08-2005, 19:37
There are very few average chapters around these days. All chapters have some great dead that they have done, particiapated in a crusade, killed such and such warlord, repelled such and such invasion, had their entire 1st company wiped out in a heroic last stand. But it doesn't have to be an event that could affect any large area, it could merely be that they saved a valued artifact of their homeworld's past that doesn't really have any significance what so ever, or they rid an area of aliens.

Aun'aart'al
05-08-2005, 23:26
would it be too evil/Chaos sounding if I were to say that the Marines from my chapter would eat the hearts of their enemies, believing that they would gain their strength to add to their own? sounds like it could come from the Blood Angels as well

Lord-Warlock
05-08-2005, 23:29
Not at all, IMHO - after all Marines can eat the brains of their enemies to steal their knowledge, so eating their hearts to get their courage isn't a huge leap of the imagination...

Aun'aart'al
05-08-2005, 23:34
Yay! So shall it be written, so shall it be Done! :evilgrin:

warpoet
06-08-2005, 00:48
Not at all, IMHO - after all Marines can eat the brains of their enemies to steal their knowledge, so eating their hearts to get their courage isn't a huge leap of the imagination...

Uh, really?

Seems awfully easy. Wouldn't they do it all the time?

Marine One: "So, brother, how does that Farseer taste?"

Marine Two: "A bit gamey. By the way, all the bad guys are on the other side of that hill. Have the Whirlwinds toss a few over."

Aun'aart'al
06-08-2005, 01:10
hey, it doesnt have to be something huge.. :rolleyes:

also, would it sound bad if I were to say that they also celebrate the "birth" of the Machine God/C'tan based on Mars? (Hence the name Black Dragons)

warpoet
06-08-2005, 11:12
Well, a couple of things there.

First, GW already has a chapter named the Black Dragons. They are part of the Cursed founding (with the Lamentors and a few others), and sprout boney spikes.

Second, they can't celebrate it too much, or they would have been drummed out of the Imperium. The Iron Hands are similar to what you're looking to do, though, so you may want to look into them. An Iron Hands successor could be cool. Check out this site for more info: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/spacemarines/background/astartes/ironhands/default.htm

Mother_Mercy
06-08-2005, 18:47
I see nothing wrong with venerating the Machine God, even in rather extreme ways. After all, the Mechanicus Faith is fully accepted by the Imperium, and the Space Marine Chapters have always had a pretty good leeway in their practices of worship. As for eating hearts...heck, why not. Most Chapters recruit from feral worlds, and it sounds just guresome enough to fit in with the Flesh Eaters, Blood Drinkers and those other nice fellows.

There's just a few tips I'd like to share on creating fluff for your Chapter:

1) It's alright to have a cool history for your Chapter, but for Christ's sake don't overdo it! Nothing says "bloody noob" like making your Chapter into one of the lost legions, or making it a successor Chapter to a legion which didn't have any successors, or having it been founded by the Emperor himself to fullfill a secret agenda.
They're Space Marines, they're cool enough as it is. Focus on what makes your Marines different from other Marines, not what makes them "cooler".

2) Finding a historical or litteral rolemodel to base your Chapter off is a great way to give it some more character (iconogaraphy, names, background, style). Once again, just don't overdo it, and think a bit about wether it is appropriate or not.

3) The Imperium is not nice. Space Marines are not nice. There are a few exceptions, such as the Ultra Marines and the Celestial Lions, but they are exceptions! Think about that before you turn your Marines into benevolent, idealistic defenders of the weak.

4) On a smiliar note, the bad things are almost always as interesting (if not more)as the good things. Give your marines some barbaric customs (such as the heart-eating), some politically incorrect views and some less-than-ideal personalities. A commander who makes big tactical blunders because he's blinded by arrogance is way cooler fluff-wise than someone who never makes a mistake.

5) There are no female Space Marines. Period. Just like there are no male Sisters of Battle.

Aun'aart'al
06-08-2005, 23:09
First, GW already has a chapter named the Black Dragons. They are part of the Cursed founding (with the Lamentors and a few others), and sprout boney spikes.

please all, pardon my language when I say this, but;

DAAAAAAAAAMNIT!!

so now I need to change the name, some of the customs, if not all, nearly everything :cries:

Rabid Bunny 666
07-08-2005, 12:02
please all, pardon my language when I say this, but;

DAAAAAAAAAMNIT!!

so now I need to change the name, some of the customs, if not all, nearly everything :cries:

i thought you took, it quite well :D

the heart eating bit is cool, and marines learn from eating their foes, its one of their implants

and how about some other dragon name, i'll try to think of some

zealousheretic
08-08-2005, 19:46
If you wanted them to be an Iron Hands successor, with the accompanying close ties to Mars and the Ad. Mech, consider names like:

Iron Dragons
Iron Claws
Steel Serpents

I'll agree with a lot of the previous advice. A chapter can be unique and cool without being the best or most anything.

Ties to the Ad. Mech. would be nift, I've seen very few traited chapters with that sort of background (around here, virtually every DIY chapter takes true grit for some reason). The heart-eating custom is also cool, keep it!

Aun'aart'al
08-08-2005, 19:59
mwahahaha! :evilgrin: then my Men shall be forever known as!

THE IRON DRAGONS SPACE MARINE CHAPTER!

thankies all that helped in forming the new name :D
/passes cookies out to all

warpoet
08-08-2005, 21:44
Welcome, Oh great Iron Dragons.

You may want to look into playing using Iron Hands traits and such. There's some spiffy minis to go with them, too.

And don't forget to change your sig!

(is anyone else concerned that the Iron Dragon is a very lame roller coaster in Cedar Point, a very large amusement park in the US Midwest?)

((is anyone else concered with my use of very so much?))

Aun'aart'al
08-08-2005, 21:47
lol thank you :D will do, no Im not concerned as Ive never been to the States, and no Im not concerned about your facination about the word 'very' :D

Bmaxwell
08-08-2005, 22:15
The very is a little werid.

I like the name for the chapter and the heart eating thing is very good and another thing you could do since you like the ad-mech side make it so that they eat hearts becasue when there put into the chapter there hearts are removed and replaced with bionic ones.

just me 2 cents

Lostanddamned
08-08-2005, 22:39
I like the idea of the marines eating their hearts, also the idea of them replacing them with bionic ones seem good. I think that it would be intresting if they removed them in the first step of becoming a marine, so they have even more powerful scouts than other chapters. Also this would mean that they had fewer servitors than other chapters, due to the regected transplant killing the subject.

Also does anyone have the link to the Creating a chapter thing on B&C? I wanted to make some background for my DoW custom chapter that I am currently building up with bits and bobs.

Asher
08-08-2005, 23:07
Nah, heart-eating is for wimps.

Do you want something really shocking?

But still not contradictory to rules/background?

And even closely related to world history/culture?

And espectialy...is your own stomach though enough to take it?

If you answered all those questions with a yes, then you might read onwards. If not, better don't.

Some background on the idea first:
Not to long ago I watched a documentary series on tribes in africa. This one was around family relationships and rituals in some small tribes in kongo (I think); it was called the secret of the flutes. I suspected nothing, how wrong I was!
In this tribe separation of men and woman are very strict. The men are all warriors and live under persecution mania like belive that they must be vigilant and ready for combat all the time (sounds like space marines). Being colse to women (especially in the time of menstruation) makes a man weaker and he eventually dies. So they separate themselves. There are huts in the village where only man may enter. Women may not even know about the events there.
But the tribes-folk is not that cruel to separate the infants from their mothers. Kids stay with them till they reach the age of initiation (which is around 10 I think). They than have to undertake lots of painfull tests and tasks (like being beaten up, sustain fear, ...). And the final task of initiation is a well guarded secret. (And now it starts to get really ugly).
This part is called the secrets of the flutes (as the title of documentary, some might start realizing it). At first the to-be-warriors have to take a woodcarven flute and lick it. Once used to it, they need to carry out an important warrior-ritual of the tribe. Yes, you guessed it. They have to preform a blow-job on the older warrors. The warriors belive that drinking the sperm grants a warrior strength and courage; thus counteract the weakenign through women.
They do this things on a regular basis in the said huts of the village that the women may not enter. Day in, day out. Granted, it is not the sexuall aspect that is in focus of this rituals, but they are nevertheless pretty gross. Still true though, the present day.

So this may given you some inspiration for really ugly costums for your space marines. It includes really everthing related to a space marines chapter:

- Warriors (aka. Space Marines)
- Constant state of vigilance
- Separation, close relationship of the warriors
- Connection to wild tribes they recrute from
- Unique, implied name
- Absoulte shock-effect for everyone you play against
- The blood angels range, for chapter symbols, icons and so on.

Enjoy! :evilgrin:

Aun'aart'al
10-08-2005, 07:03
yeah um.. what the [BLEEP!] dude? Im not using ANYTHING like that! :wtf: :wtf:

Asher
10-08-2005, 08:03
yeah um.. what the [BLEEP!] dude? Im not using ANYTHING like that! :wtf: :wtf:

Heh :D

Nothing really. But as you can see, it prooves to have a great shocking effect. :D

They have their sexual drive taken out, when being modified. That is the general asumption at least.
Their hormone-controllled drive is most likely only aiming towards violence. And not between sexual drive and violent drive, as Dr. Freud describes it, being the case with common people. So no homosexual marines, I assume.

Aun'aart'al
10-08-2005, 08:07
dude, your messed for even suggesting such a disgusting thing :eyebrows:

Pertinax
10-08-2005, 08:21
OK, lets have less of the "Sexdrives of a Space Marine".

Pert

Aun'aart'al
10-08-2005, 08:26
ay men! :eyebrows:

Asher
10-08-2005, 08:40
dude, your messed for even suggesting such a disgusting thing :eyebrows:

It was more of a joke than anything else.
It's funny though, how it would fit well to marines in theorie, as many connections are given (in a background-ish sort of way).

But, yes it is completly disgusting. It is dire reality for some people though.

@Pertinax: I aprechiate your concern for the topic of the thread. We will refrain from discussing the sexual drive.
But was it really necessary to employ stalinist methods of censoring (aka. cutting out things you don't want to see) on a thread?
Not so sure about that.

Aun'aart'al
10-08-2005, 08:42
God is telling me to stick with the heart-eating bit if these are my choices :eyebrows:

Randallw
10-08-2005, 09:01
As the chief exponent of my Chapter I must point out that Mortifactors are already pretty famous for eating the hearts of their enemies. There is quite a bit of background in "Warriors of Ultramar" showing what they get away with.

1. They eat the hearts of their enemies. In the case in question their battle brother Olfric was slain but his brothers ate the hearts of his enemies so he could pass on to the table of the ultimate warrior (The Emperor). Also I must point out the Mortifactors are cannibals before they are ever chosen.

2. They seek guidance from the spirits of their ancestors, in the case shown by drinking blood freshly squeezed from the Chapter Masters hand.

3. The sequence where all this appears is from the perspective of an Ultramarine (Uriel Ventris) who thinks it is disgusting and bordering on Chaos worship. Doesn't stop him drinking blood when asked to.

4. Although they are a bunch of cannibalistic death worshipping blood drinkers they still revere their Primarch Guilliman, though they aren't strictly codex, ie they consider his Codex general guidelines rather than strict rules.

They aren't raving madmen like death company or flesh tearers, they just have a more morbid outlook.

Burnthem
10-08-2005, 09:15
uumm, whats all this pap about space marines being able to eat thier enemies brains and learn from it, does anyone have a source to back this up, as i seems VERY far-fetched to me :)

Randallw
10-08-2005, 09:20
It's a basic piece of background from the beginning. They republish it from time to time in WD. Here is a website with it.

http://www.inisfail.com/archives/sm-creation.html

Edit: Phase 8 to be exact.

lunrwolf
10-08-2005, 09:24
uumm, whats all this pap about space marines being able to eat thier enemies brains and learn from it, does anyone have a source to back this up, as i seems VERY far-fetched to me :)
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Marines_(Warhammer_40,000) for the list of implants as featured in the 2nd edition Codex Imperialis. The relevant implant is the Omophagea:

Implanted into the spinal cord, this organ is designed to absorb DNA related to experience or memory. This enables the Marine to gain information, in a survival or tactical sense, simply by eating an animal indigenous to an alien world or situation.

Burnthem
10-08-2005, 09:54
hmmm, seems a bit silly, even by games workshops standards, if a space marine could really eat an enemy and learn battle plans, doctrines, codes etc then they would only have to eat just one enemy and the battle is practically won.

Asher
10-08-2005, 10:06
hmmm, seems a bit silly, even by games workshops standards, if a space marine could really eat an enemy and learn battle plans, doctrines, codes etc then they would only have to eat just one enemy and the battle is practically won.

I suppose it only works for 'basic' knowlige.
The space marine eats an deathworld animal for example. In that proces he might learn what plants are poisenous or what kind of dangers he is exposed to. This knowlige however is imho unconcious or instinctive.

If the marine eats Lance Armstrong for example; he will know how to ride a bike. Maybe he will know some specific thechniques. But everything will just work as if he had been ciclying for years. Riding a bike, we also don't think how it is done, it just works.
The point of this, is that the marine inherits just basic, repetitive knowlige. Eating an eldar might tell him how to use eldar granades but not tell him the battle plan.

That is my view of things though.

Randallw
10-08-2005, 10:20
In the old RT era novel "Space Marines" some scouts need to learn how to use an enemy Emperor Titan. They cut out the crews brains eat them and learn how to use a Titan. I think the information only lasts a while. Earlier in the book one of them eats something and starts to feel like a pregnant woman from a deathworld. Which is what the meal was. Last bit of trivia is that the woman was formally served to him at his Chapter fortress to test his skill.

warpoet
10-08-2005, 11:44
Wow.

Wouldn't that ability work against them, too?

Like maybe if they ate a bucket of fried chicken, they'd feel a sudden urge to claw at the ground.

Randallw
10-08-2005, 12:21
Well he never ceased being himself, but he said stuff like

"I am running through the jungle, my belly is......round?. My child is the seed of a demon?"

as the memories came to him. Another marine ate some horse and had memories of being stored in a cage while ancestral memories came to him of wanting to run on 4 feet across grassy hills.

charlie_c67
10-08-2005, 15:44
@Pertinax: I aprechiate your concern for the topic of the thread. We will refrain from discussing the sexual drive.
But was it really necessary to employ stalinist methods of censoring (aka. cutting out things you don't want to see) on a thread?
Not so sure about that.

With regards to the removed post, it wasn't a case of stalinist censoring, it was more a case of website rating. This is a PG/12 website if you will and the post was way beyond that and could also be considered very offensive to some people. Don't forget, not all of us are 15 plus.

Aun'aart'al
10-08-2005, 19:36
This is a PG/12 website if you will and the post was way beyond that and could also be considered very offensive to some people. Don't forget, not all of us are 15 plus.

huh.. with some of the language you'd think it was a 15+ website :eek:

charlie_c67
11-08-2005, 08:07
True, but the mods try and make sure it's kept to a minimum.
Here endeth the O/T bit :D