PDA

View Full Version : Space Hulk Rules

Casarez
02-05-2007, 14:08
OK, I went and downloaded the "Space Hulk Bible". While I give whoever put that together and "A" for a good idea they get an "F" for editing. Man is that thing a mess. I have started putting it together into a word doc right now and are editing the crap out of it to make sure it reads nicely and that it includes the rules as written. We will also be including the additional rules for PA SMs, Eldar, etc as written in CJ/WD. In addition we will have an experimental part which will include those factions not included before. Which brings me to some questions we are running into working on it.

1. Weapons - Seeing as how this went out of print a long time ago a lot of the weapons out in 40k are not covered. Things like Multi-meltas, Hellguns, etc. I bought Codex:Wargear to get a list and a way to judge the weapons versus the standard Storm Bolter. The problem is the limitation of the SH system which has Storm Bolters only hitting Stealers on a "6" with 2D6, Bolters on a "6" on 1D6. So due to that mechanic even a Laspistol has the same chance of killing a Stealer ("6" on 1D6) that a Bolter does which does not seem right.

Now I am not advocating making Bolters or SB stronger. It would unbalance they game if they were. But I am considering just listing the other weapons which would share the same game stats. So Bolter, Lasgun, Hellgun, etc would all basically be the same. I would love to hear if anyone have has any other ideas?

2. Factions - In the experimental section we plan on including those factions/troops not covered in the original SH expansions or CJ/WD articles. We are doing this not as "Force X fights stealers" but as "Force X is involved in a boarding action against Force Y" type of scenario which SH can be used for.

For example a player can use Necron Warriors or Flayed Ones as the Non-control point force (Like genestealers) using blips against a control point force like Space Marines or Eldar etc.

At any rate we are talking about how many APs to asign to these races. We firmly believe that very few should be AP6 like a Stealer. We are thinking Kroot possibly but Tau FW and Necrons would be AP4 maximum. Since both Genestealers and Eldar have FoF and are the only ones with AP6 in the official published rules something similar would be needed to justify such a high AP. Once again I would love to hear any ideas you guys might have.

Just a FYI we are only including troops choices right now so no vehicles, dreads, crisis suits, or anything like that. It has to be something that would fit down a corridor on a ship.

vampires are cool!
02-05-2007, 14:18
You have set yourself a mamoth task. Have fun and good luck.

Casarez
02-05-2007, 15:06
You have set yourself a mamoth task. Have fun and good luck.

Thanks although it is not too bad. I am done with the rules for command points, movement, shooting, and close assault. Those were fairly easy. It is the weapons and forces lists which will be a bit hard. But only those that are new, anything that existed before will be easy to organize.

Patriarch
04-06-2007, 16:39
1. ....The problem is the limitation of the SH system which has Storm Bolters only hitting Stealers on a "6" with 2D6, Bolters on a "6" on 1D6. So due to that mechanic even a Laspistol has the same chance of killing a Stealer ("6" on 1D6) that a Bolter does which does not seem right.

In 1st Ed Space Hulk, the bolter and lasgun were identical except that the lasgun did not allow sustained fire. This makes a big difference (bolter users would stand still wherever possible to build up a hail of fire, lasgun users would always fire on the move as there was no benefit to standing still). Lasguns were game identical to autoguns etc as well.
You might want to consider using the "7+ to hit" rule. Otherwise storm bolters kill Terminators as easily as they kill stealers, which is clearly wrong.

You might want to have a serious look at the close combat side of things. SH as written is fine when a bog standard Terminator is the weakest CC model in the game, but not when you might be taking models from all the races. SH expanded with negative modifiers for stealer hybrids/power armoured marines, but it never "felt" right.

2. Factions ...At any rate we are talking about how many APs to asign to these races.

Prior to 3rd ed WH40K, eldar had 5" move, equivalent to 5 APs (Banshees had 6, Reapers had 4).
In the expanded rules for Chaos terminators, the CTs also had command points even though they played the "Genestealer" role, and there is plenty of scope for differentiation between races if you do this. E.g. Necrons might be very restricted for the first half dozen turns, Eldar get a bonus for having a Farseer/Autarch knocking around.
Thinking about it, Necrons would make excellent Stealer proxies, as they have the "waking up from stasis" thing going on. Stealthsuits might do better (they have jetpacks to help them manouver, though SH environment is probably going to prevent headlong charges).

Seeing as SH only concentrated on "elites", i.e. orginally terminators and genestealers, it might help if you limited your starting armies that way. For example, Tau "Marines" will be stealthsuits, Eldar would be Aspect warriors/wraithguard, IG stormtroopers (maybe with Ogryn backup), Ork mega-armoured Nobz (to get first choice of that alien loot on board).

For the stealer "blip" proxies, the tension is more about how many "grunts" are under under the blip rather than whether they have a single big nasty.

Good luck!

Mr Zephy
04-06-2007, 18:24
I'll be very interested to see it when it's done.

Brimstone
04-06-2007, 21:13
Just a reminder that Space Hulk remains the copyright of Games Workshop, if you intend to post a link to this on Warseer it must not infringe on this copyright.

Thanks.