PDA

View Full Version : Armor of Damnation,Vauls Unmaking?

E-Dog
02-05-2007, 17:52
Would the spell vauls unmaking turn the magic item armor of damnation into a normal suit of chaos armor or a suit of heavy or none of the above? Another question I had was would a skirmishing unit defending a obstacle(fence) be pulled out from behind it if charged or would chargers line up on the obstacle?
Thanks.

DarthBinky
02-05-2007, 18:22
Armor of Damnation's rules say it's Chaos Armor, so that's what it'd be after being hit by VU.

I have no idea on the second one.

Atrahasis
02-05-2007, 18:25
The second one is tricky. It would happen differently in different circumstances.

The short answer is that ye, it can happen that skirmishers will be pulled out from behind an obstacle by a charger, but it isn't always the case.

DeathlessDraich
02-05-2007, 19:29
Vaul's Unmaking:
I could be wrong here but I've always thought it effectively destroys the revealed magic item. There would be no armour left in this case.

Defended obstacle: It depends on whether the skirmishing unit is defending [or deemed to be defending] the obstacle.
If it is then the attackers cannot cross the obstacle. Therefore the attacking unit will have to align parallel and behind the obstacle before it makes contact with the closest skirmisher.
I suppose a failed charge is possible if this is implemented too strictly.

There is one unique case where the skirmishing unit could be drawn out - when the closest skirmisher is closest to the corner of the attacking unit.

Yellow Commissar
02-05-2007, 20:53
There is one unique case where the skirmishing unit could be drawn out - when the closest skirmisher is closest to the corner of the attacking unit.

That's pretty much how it happened. It was actually an EITW charge that resulted in my Silver Helms contacting a unit of Screamers behind a fence. The original target (a beastherd) was drawn away from the Silver Helms because a Great Eagle charged in first and when they were done ranking up on the eagle, the Helms had to wheel further to attempt to contact them. One corner of the Helms contacted one Screamer at about a 75 degree angle away from the fence.

Anyway, we decided to have the Helms align to the fence since the Screamers had obviously adopted a position to defend it ( page 35).

The Vauls Unmaking is curious, though. We played it as though the item was destroyed. The spell states that the chosen item is "nullified for the rest of the battle". The question for us was whether or not Chaos Armour is a magic item. :confused:

ZomboCom
02-05-2007, 21:50
Vauls Unmaking "nullifies" an item for the rest of the battle. Whether this means is just drains the magical properties, or whether it destroys the item entirely is unclear and up for interpretation.

As for the skirmishers, it depends entirely on the angle they were charged from.

E-Dog
02-05-2007, 22:46
Love your signature ZomboCom, my sentiments exactly.

T10
02-05-2007, 22:47
Would the spell vauls unmaking turn the magic item armor of damnation into a normal suit of chaos armor or a suit of heavy or none of the above? Another question I had was would a skirmishing unit defending a obstacle(fence) be pulled out from behind it if charged or would chargers line up on the obstacle?
Thanks.

Vauls unmaking turns the item into a mundane variant. I.e. the Enchanted Shield counts as amundane shield. The Chaos Armour is unique in that it is a mundane armour in Hordes of Chaos and a magical item in Beasts of Chaos...

The least unbalancing is to consider the Chaos Armour to be a mundane item in this respect.

Skirmishers and the defended obstacle: You are allowed to use common sense. As the player placing the skirmishers you should ensure that you position your troops along the obstacle in a manner that appropriately represents them "manning the walls". In return your opponent should respect that and not engage the unit at an angle to "draw" your men out of their protected position.

-T10