PDA

View Full Version : Lavfluris' 2007 Project: Hive Fleet Charybdis

Lavfluris
02-05-2007, 20:58
Most of you will be unsurprised that I never painted the Black Legion army from my last project log, nor did I even start the Space Marine army I started hinting at. Surely I must have an excuse for such a magnificent display of slothfulness. Well, it just so happens that I have such an excuse prepared. I, um, err…

Anyway, even though I run Carnage Events, I very rarely have the chance to enter wargaming tournaments. I was hoping to attend the GW 40K Heat Two last November, but I had to drop out. Since then I have privately vowed to myself to attend this year’s GW 40K Heat One which takes place in October.

Up until late March, I had decided to resume work on the Black Legion. However, with a lot of rumours indicating that the new Codex: Chaos would be unleashed relatively soon, I decided there was no point resuming work on an army that I knew would require some drastic changes. For reference, my Black Legion army uses two units of Noise Marines Havocs as Elites, thanks to the Lord of Nurgle leading my army. Under the new Codex: Chaos, my Noise Marine Havocs and Obliterators will become Heavy Support choices, which is a bit of a bugger as I already have two Chaos Predators and a Chaos Defiler in the army.

Inevitably, I found myself stuck with the dilemma of having to collect another army. As I like heavily converting each and every model I can lay my hands upon, I generally produce Chaos Space Marine armies. This time, however, I decided to collect a Tyranid army, which will be a huge departure from my Black Legion.

So why have I chosen to collect a Tyranid army? Well, they are rather different from any other army I have previously produced, both in terms of game play and modelling. I am looking forward to the challenge of gaming with the Tyranids, as I believe most tournament players quickly dismiss them. Equally, converting up each and every Tyranid organism with very similar physical traits will hopefully prove to be rather rewarding when the army is completed.

In order to maximise my practice gaming with the Tyranids, I will be assembling every model before I begin painting the models. Although I do not have a colour scheme in mind, I do know precisely how I want the army to look, which will spur me onto assembling the army as swiftly as possible.

Congratulations if you actually read any of the above, for it is now picture time!

Firstly, here is my workplace:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/Lavfluris/Hive%20Fleet%20Charybdis/DSCN0657copy.jpg

Here is the unassembled Tyranid army:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/Lavfluris/Hive%20Fleet%20Charybdis/DSCN0659copy.jpg

And here is yours truly:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/Lavfluris/Hive%20Fleet%20Charybdis/DSCN0660copy.jpg

Now that I have permanently damaged your eyesight, I might as well disappear and start making the bases for my horde of Gaunts and Hourmagaunts.

Let’s see how far this army gets. :p

LemonPotato
02-05-2007, 21:05
Good luck Lavfluris, I would love to see a painted army come from this project. However from past experience I know that this may not be too likely :rolleyes: .

Anyway best of luck with the project, now get busy assembling those 'nids.

LemonPotato

Crube
02-05-2007, 21:09
I wish you every luck with this Lav... you'll need it...

Seriously, good luck - I hope you get a decent army in time for the Tourney.. now you know how we feel...

Oh, and please, don't post any more scary photos... you want us to see the rest of the photos don't you???

AMBS
02-05-2007, 21:14
You'll be copying Chris Apperley's list then? ;)

lee
02-05-2007, 21:15
go go go go lavfluris you can do it:D

Pekel
02-05-2007, 21:15
Great army choice! Tyranids are immensely flexible and I've been very happy with the success of mine, which manages to win most games while maintaining a fun, varied army composition.

Can't wait to see where you go with it, and hopefully you'll have a nice scheme. Just earlier today I was reminiscing over the old Tyranid models and color scheme (http://www.armageddon3.com/English/40KIntro/40Kintro_nids.html). I personally have very fond memories of that old army, and it would be awesome to see it transferred onto the newer models.

wickedvoodoo
02-05-2007, 21:20
The more nids the better especially if you are going to take them to tournaments. Not enough nids about.

Luthien
02-05-2007, 21:23
oh god i hope thsi gets done i love nid armies

Farris
02-05-2007, 21:25
Can't do anything but love the 'nids:D
looking forward too see some progress^^

hiveminion
02-05-2007, 21:27
That last pic made me jump...you must possess the Horror hive mind power;)

Well, straw-hat wearing Shadow in the Warp, go paint some models!

spikyjames
02-05-2007, 21:35
get an army done lazy squig:mad:

p.s.- i've got alot of nid bits you can have, i'm sure we could come to some sort of deal;)

BodhiTree
02-05-2007, 21:43
HOW DARE YOU?! TRYING TO OUT-LAZY ME?! THAT'LL BE THE DAY!!! :mad:

Looking forward to this, and nice hat. :)

Dat Wildboy
02-05-2007, 21:48
come on Lav, you can do it. also nice hat.

Great Harlequin
02-05-2007, 21:51
Raaaar!

Great to see this getting off its feet. I'll keep my Hive Tyrant's intimidating eye on you to make sure some work gets done. ;) Good news for my Nids recently, placing 5th at Botch 2. Was winning the tourney till the last game, and I made a couple of (read: damned stupid) mistakes which my opponent wisely took advantage of. Slightly different variation, but it just goes to show how the combo for Nids I used at Carnage didn't just have a good day - something must work, though I'm still not sure what yet. :p

Good luck!

Crube
02-05-2007, 21:53
So, what colour scheme you going for then...

Deadleyheadley
02-05-2007, 22:01
Good luck with the army mate ,and looking forward to seeing your first painted mini :)

monstallion
02-05-2007, 23:11
Come on Lav we know you can do it.

Good luck with the new project.

Kev

McMullet
03-05-2007, 11:13
Nice hat. :cool:

Anyway... C'mon Lav, you can do it. Just one army! You can do it, we believe in you, right guys? Guys?

BIOMASS FOR THE HIVE MIND!

pompeyladbfp
03-05-2007, 11:32
youve missed 4 months of 2007

Lavfluris
03-05-2007, 12:17
Blooming heck, thereís been a lot of encouragements!

Oh, and please, don't post any more scary photos... you want us to see the rest of the photos don't you???Not something I can promise, but I will try.

You'll be copying Chris Apperley's list then?Yes, my army list is based on his, though I have made a few changes that I think make my Tyranid army more effective. Of course, playtesting will reveal if I am right. As is normally the case, I will not be changing my army list once the models are assembled

That last pic made me jump...you must possess the Horror hive mind powerI do, itís true. It is a rather useful psychic power when going out on the town. Well, right up to the point where I try to chat up someone, they usually see me and run away. :p

p.s.- i've got alot of nid bits you can have, i'm sure we could come to some sort of dealI only need the bits in my Wanted Ads thread. Youíll have to think of another way of getting those bits off me. ;)

TRYING TO OUT-LAZY ME?!Well, the only army I ever painted was a small 800pt Wood Elf army. That was probably nine or ten years ago now. I did dip a Death Guard army two years ago, but that is not really painting, just a lazy manís shortcut. :p

Slightly different variation, but it just goes to show how the combo for Nids I used at Carnage didn't just have a good day - something must work, though I'm still not sure what yet.I still think most tournament players are not prepared for dealing with Tyranids. I would not be at all surprised if I was to meet a competitive gamer at GW 40K Heat One who did not know that Synpase allow Tyranid models to ignore Instant Death. The question is, should I tell him before or after he shoots a Lascannon at a Zoanthrope? ;)

So, what colour scheme you going for then...I have not decided. I originally wanted to use red and black, but this seems to be a popular combination for Tyranids, so I shall not bother.

youve missed 4 months of 2007Yep.

Anyway, progress on the Gaunt bases is coming along splendidly. I should be able to have them completed by this evening, by which time I can crack one with the first brood of Gaunts. I am not expecting any real progress to be shown on the Gaunts until at least Sunday, simply because Iím off to see Spider-Man 3 tomorrow night and will be house sitting over most of the weekend.

BIOMASS!

Arianwen
03-05-2007, 13:10
Good luck! Post lots of pics, we wants to see them. And post me your hat.

cookiescrumble
03-05-2007, 13:45
This can only end in another unpainted army,

or at least the fronts will be sprayed :p .

On a slightly more serious note good luck with this, hopefully the rest of Team Pompey can kick you **** in gear.

TEAM POMPEY FTW!!1!!1

kermit
03-05-2007, 15:38
Yet another Lav Thread... Hmmm... I shall watch... with one eyebrow raised...

** Raises eyebrow**

I hope to see your bases, and I really enjoy how you make your bases, and they tend to give me lots of inspiration for my own.

GET TO WORK!

** Lowers eyebrow and moves off **

Rich 123
03-05-2007, 19:58
And another army is being started yet to wait to be painted.

I really hope that Nids are the incentive you need to get painting an army Lav! Especially seeing as you have a deadline, hopefully it will focus you in to working on it. Hey look what I managed in the night before Carnage!

Just make sure you do the bases seeing as it's for a tournie. Good plan to get them all done first :)

Good luck!
Dicky

old guard
03-05-2007, 20:24
Lavfluris the slack jawed yokel! that really should be your avatar. Paint 'em anphelion style. What am I saying paint.....! imagine them painted anphelion style. Go Lav!

Reinnon
03-05-2007, 23:05
once again i have been bullied into posting on another simon log.

so, er...... yeah.

titan136
04-05-2007, 04:01
lol you've got that gleam of madness in your eye that can only come from having to paint tiny details on tiny figures for too long

Heero-Severus
04-05-2007, 08:51
lol you've got that gleam of madness in your eye that can only come from having to paint tiny details on tiny figures for too long

Lol how little you know him.. lav doesnt even know which end of a paintbrush to hold :P Its more likely he is tanked up on rum :P

Cpt_NinjaPants
04-05-2007, 09:09
RTW poster=Awsome, Spiderman 3 poster= UBER AWSOME! (best superhero movie ever made btw.)

I have a question though, why does it seem that everybody on Warseer has their workspace in front of the comp..?

El-Diablo
04-05-2007, 21:40
I have a question though, why does it seem that everybody on Warseer has their workspace in front of the comp..?

Because we're lazy?

Good luck with the 'nids Lav, hopefully you shouldn't go too mad painting all those bugs.

El Diablo

chunk
04-05-2007, 22:26
Generic motivating comment:

Please Be Motivated (to paint nids), whoot! Go Team!!!!!!!

Still going to the pub tomorrow?

Lavfluris
05-05-2007, 14:26
Apologies for the lack of photographs and replies so far, I am currently house-sitting and do not have regular access to a computer.

And post me your hat.Well, I need something outlandish to wear when I pop up to see you, so you can have it then.

I hope to see your bases, and I really enjoy how you make your bases, and they tend to give me lots of inspiration for my own.The Tyranid bases are going to be very different from the bases I did for the Deathwing and Black Legion, so I have had to come up with some different techniques. Good to see that some of my previous techniques are useful to you, hopefully these new bases might be just as interesting.

Hey look what I managed in the night before Carnage!Yep, seeing you assembling and painting a third of your army about twelve hours before Carnage North 2007 did leave a lasting impression on me. I now know what not to do. ;)

Lol how little you know him.. lav doesnt even know which end of a paintbrush to holdIt's so true it hurts.

I have a question though, why does it seem that everybody on Warseer has their workspace in front of the comp..?My reasons are that the computer desk is the only flat surface in my bedroom, laziness and just a little more laziness. It's a wargaming thing. :p

Still going to the pub tomorrow?Yep.

Anyway, my house-sitting began far earlier than I anticipated, so I was unable to completely finish off the Gaunt bases on Thursday. Detailing on the bases is complete, though they do need to be sanded when I get back home on Tuesday night. All being well, they should be completed by next Thursday. In the mean time, I am currently cleaning up all of the Gaunt bits whilst I am house-sitting but will not be assembling them until the bases are finished.

callum in hat
06-05-2007, 23:42
yes, go Mr Lav, you try another army, that'll be the solution on a serious note, i hope you get this done as your BL were very nice, well the spraying was immaculate ;)
Callum

Lavfluris
08-05-2007, 22:17
Huzzah! Lavfluris has replied to his thread! Either he has made some progress or he is rather drunk and near a computer. Or both! :eek:

Now that I am back home and fully recovered from housesitting and mountain biking with spikyjames, I have been working furiously on the Gaunt bases in an effort to get them finished. Presently, the bases are nearly completed and require only a little bit more sand texture before I can start attaching my Gaunts to them.

Here are the bases before I started texturing them:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/Lavfluris/Hive%20Fleet%20Charybdis/DSCN0661copy.jpg

If it is not clear in the photograph, I have glued all manner of Tyranid bits to the bases and modelled them to represent various different Tyranid organisms and fauna. I have also drilled through each base and attached a piece of brass rod onto which the Gaunts will be positioned.

With regards to the Gaunts themselves, I have been busy filing down the various bits in preparation for assembling them brood by brood. Before now, I had not appreciated how tedious filing down anything other than Space Marines and vehicles was, so getting the Gaunts ready has been a slight shock to my system. Now, all being well, the first Gaunts should be attached to their bases by the end of Thursday, although I remember saying a rather similar thing last week. We’ll see how things turn out. ;)

One last thing. Like every other organism of the Hive Mind, I am consuming biomass daily:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/Lavfluris/Hive%20Fleet%20Charybdis/DSCN0662copy.jpg

Munch munch.

schoolcormorant
08-05-2007, 22:25
novatech rocks!!!

is that milliput you have used?

SC

spikyjames
08-05-2007, 22:32
he he...

glad you've recovered mate. tis good to see the bases.

looking forward to seeing more.

james

kermit
08-05-2007, 22:35
YAY! Bases!

** Raises Eyebrow **

** Impatiently waiting for more pictures **

hiveminion
09-05-2007, 15:38
Great idea with the barbed strangler top to create a Tyranid plant! I've never thought of adding Niddie flora to my bases but you've inspired me to do some! Thanks:)

Lavfluris
09-05-2007, 20:36
is that milliput you have used?Yes, I have used a layer of milliput to serve as the foundations for my Gaunt bases. I usually depend upon multiple layers of sand to achieve the same effect, though that method was rather time consuming.

I've never thought of adding Niddie flora to my bases but you've inspired me to do some!Always here to inspire. ;)

Great Harlequin
09-05-2007, 20:51
Stop building, start painting! :p

Great bases though - can I see adrenal glands dotted on the floor like little scarab creatures? :D Good job!

Lavfluris
09-05-2007, 23:02
Great bases though - can I see adrenal glands dotted on the floor like little scarab creatures?You certainly can. There are all sorts of Tyranid bits scattered all over the Gaunt bases. Anything from toxin sacs to flesh hooks and bio-weapon pipes have been used to add an extra dimension to the bases. Hopefully, when I glue static grass and long grass around these various Tyranid organisms, you will be able to see how they have immersed themselves in the local ecosystem.