PDA

View Full Version : Qah

Luthien
02-05-2007, 21:00
who the hell is he/she :confused:

Mechanicus
02-05-2007, 21:20
'Qah' is the Hrud (Hrudian?) name for one of the shared pantheon of gods, strongly hinted to be a group of Old Ones, but could also potentially be pure warp entities created by the primitive Eldar as weapons at the wishes of the Old Ones.

Qah has only ever been mentioned (under that name, at least) in the Xenology book from Black Library. It is the god that seemingly favoured the Hrud, and changed them into what they are now after the War In Heaven. It is called by the Hrud as "He who Lingers". It was one of the three surviving gods after the War in Heaven that was acknowledged/included in an Exodite Eldar tablet. Qah left the Hrud 500,000 years ago for 'great works'. Qah also was known to be up to "his old ways. Always tweaking and dabbling", so perhaps it was still involved in the creation/adjustment of races.

Qah has been linked to the Umbra (a species (?) of warp entity that attach themselves to areas of high warp intensity) via in the deathscream of an Umbra, it showed a psychic vision of a humanoid figure splintering, warp storm, deep space, then the word: Linger. The Umbra is hinted to be the remnants of the Qah, after Slaanesh split it and left it "To linger".

In the aforementioned tablet, it is implied to have created something - something which is featured in the same manner as races of aliens on the tablet. The image of what it created is a small humanoid baby. It is postulated to be either: Humanity, the Emperor, Ynnead, or the Star Child, depending on how you interpret it. I personally believe it implies humanity was created by Qah, but that is up for interpretation.

Luthien
02-05-2007, 21:25
so qah is one of the gods on the tablet alongside khaine and cegorach, yea??

Sephiroth
02-05-2007, 21:26
(Hrudian?)

I prefer Hruddite myself. ;)

That would seem to be the Emperor... or "Star Child" at least...

Mechanicus
02-05-2007, 21:27
Well, it was a god in the Pantheon, it survived the War in Heaven (destroyed by Slaanesh), so it would appear that it was. Unless I'm missing something, of course.

I prefer Hruddite myself. ;):D

Luthien
02-05-2007, 21:28
so hrud gods were eaten too or was this a shared eldar/hrud god

Mechanicus
02-05-2007, 21:43
That would seem to be the Emperor... or "Star Child" at least... I personally still think that the Emperor was created by the shamans and that 'Qah' counted as one of the Eldar Gods since he was still around, but as I said - it's all up for interpretation.

so hrud gods were eaten too or was this a shared eldar/hrud godMany/most of the races created by the Old Ones seem to share at least the most iconic of the Eldar gods (red-handed figure, laughing jester, hammer-wielding artisan, horned hunter, etc.) The Hrud is the race that is mentioned, but the turn of phrase is "the remarkable likeness to the gods of other races".

Kiro
03-05-2007, 02:17
The Hrud are the race that is mentioned, but the turn of phrase is "the remarkable likeness to the gods of other races".

I always figured that simply meant 'all the Gods of all the races are...Old Ones!' - a shared origin.

Krog Ironclaw
04-05-2007, 04:59
I sincerely doubt Khaine was an Old One, Kiro. Or do you mean that the Old Ones created the gods of every race? That would seem to make sense.

Rockerfella
04-05-2007, 10:05
I personally still think that the Emperor was created by the shamans and that 'Qah' counted as one of the Eldar Gods since he was still around, but as I said - it's all up for interpretation.
s".

This is something i'd never considered before. Well, thats not strictly true Its an idea i'd flirted with but never dared mention it in here as i could literally see the heads rolling down at 'Emperor is the awesomest'' HQ.

Since the emperor rules mankind 'by the will of the gods' i've always wondered who those gods were. 'Qah' was a meddling god, so was Cegorach. I think its possible either of these two had something to do with the Emperors creation, since they were both still very active around the time of his inception.

Pure, unadulterated speculation of course. ;)

Kiro
04-05-2007, 13:37
I sincerely doubt Khaine was an Old One, Kiro. Or do you mean that the Old Ones created the gods of every race? That would seem to make sense.

Nah, I think it's just a case of contradicting fluff that has yet to be reconciled. Eldar beliefs vs. the great C'tan shoehorn :p

MvS
04-05-2007, 19:31
Personally I prefer the idea that the times of the C'tan/Yngir/Old One/Eldar God wars are so far in the past, millions upon millions of years, that there is not one neat answer. The 'gods' as they are called in various 40K mythologies and religions of those times might be very mixed. In the same battle you might have had a C'tan (called a 'god by any mortal that saw it), and Old Ones (also called a 'god' by any mere mortal who witnessed it) and of course a cut and dried Warp Entity/God.

So although I doubt they really interacted in any 'normal' way, in concept at least an Old One popularly referred to as Qah, a Warp Entity widely known referred to as Khaine, and a C'tan like Mephet'ran posing under any one of a thousand names could have all sat down at a table near a leaky Warpgate for tea. Any mortal viewing the event would likely have explained the event to his buddies as a 'meeting of the gods' and perhaps built an entire cosmology around the event without ever really understanding the differences between the natures, drives, consciousnesses and origins of the 'gods' he saw. Add to that around 60,000,000 years plus of retelling and confusion, you can't really know what or who Qah is.

Although if pressed, if I had to take the references as 'canon' I would say Qah is/was an Old One of some sort and that he/she/it is not the Emperor, although he/she/it may have had a hand in the events that eventually led up to the creation of the New Man, the Emperor and ultimately the 'Star Child'.

Iracundus
05-05-2007, 04:19
Of course that may not have been the only project in the works. I personally dislike the attempted shoehorning of Eldar involvement in the Tau, but prefer the possibility that the Tau may have been a modification undertaken by one or more surviving Old Ones that chose a different approach ("less psychic" instead of "more psychic" races). This does not mean the Tau are merely pawns though since it seems the Old Ones are all gone or have lost control of their projects. You'd think they'd learn after all these years...