PDA

View Full Version : Rune of preservation question

sds661
03-05-2007, 00:32
I am preparing to fight VC with dwarves, and just want confirmation about the Rune of Preservation.

Killing Blow has 2 effects: You're instantly dead, and forget about armour saves, you haven't got any. I assume that the Rune nullifies BOTH of these effects, so that I'm not killed outright and I also have the chance to armour save the wound using my totally impenetrable, jewel encrusted mithril mail.

Since VC have a lot of killing blows, this seems like a pretty good deal against them. Am I right?

ZomboCom
03-05-2007, 00:44
When you are immune to killing blow, you are indeed immune to all its effects.

5h1v
03-05-2007, 12:24
Why not just get shield bearers with make you US3 i.e immune to killing bkow and give you extra benefits.

larabic
03-05-2007, 12:26
Poison could still get you, but generally armor is able to deal with that. Go with the shield bearers if you got the model, save your space and get some other armor runes. 1+ save with a rune of stone :)

sds661
03-05-2007, 12:39
OK, thanks. So Shieldbearers for the general, and rune of preservation for some other heroes ... sound good ... I'll give it a go.

T10
03-05-2007, 12:55
Why not just get shield bearers with make you US3 i.e immune to killing bkow and give you extra benefits.

True: thanks to RAW you are immune to Killing Blow. Ask yourself, though, if that was the intent why does Thorgrim Grudgebearer have the Rune of Preservation? You may want to play it different.

-T10

larabic
03-05-2007, 13:23
To make him immune to poison as well, i suppose. There are plenty of things that don't make sense in this game, just better to go witht he flow :D

eleveninches
04-05-2007, 09:30
immune to kiling blow means that the attack is resolved as though it did not have killing blow. it does not mean that he is immune to the attack when a 6 is rolled.

intellectawe
04-05-2007, 15:59
You may want to play it different.

-T10

No thanks, I would rather play by the rules!

xmbk
04-05-2007, 16:21
True: thanks to RAW you are immune to Killing Blow. Ask yourself, though, if that was the intent why does Thorgrim Grudgebearer have the Rune of Preservation? You may want to play it different.

-T10

Besides poison, remember that the Dwarf codex came out under 6th edition rules. Then there's the whole issue of trusting GW to have thought out their SC's. ;)

If you want to play him without controversy, he gets no immunity to KB and no +2 with a GW. That means you pay for a shield and 2 WS5, S4 attacks - but you only count as S5 instead of S6 with your GW. Sounds like a free item to me.

T10
04-05-2007, 16:40
No thanks, I would rather play by the rules!

That does not surprise me: Most would. Why not make use of the Shieldbearer Easter Egg while it is still allowed. We don't score VP's for being nice.

-T10

xmbk
04-05-2007, 19:49
Seriously, without the Immunity to Killing Blow, what the heck do you get for 25 points?

Do you really wanna nerf the SB and encourage more Anvils?

intellectawe
05-05-2007, 06:43
We don't score VP's for being nice.

-T10

So as a dwarf player, I would expect my opponents to not play with any regiments with ws higher than 3 and toughness higher than 3 because that would be nice to me?

T10
05-05-2007, 10:31
You equate "moronic" with "nice"?

-T10

sds661
05-05-2007, 11:32
Understand what you're saying T10, but I couldn't really blame anyone for claiming what is quite clear under the rules. I only ever play "friendly" games and we never bother with victory points ... one of us concedes the field or we call it a draw and go home happy.

But I'm happy to take Runes of Preservation, Stone and Resistance (45 points) ... with a shield, shieldbearers and Runic weapon that gives -1+ AS with reroll and immunity to KB, and no controversy. That'll do me fine.

Masque
05-05-2007, 11:52
But I'm happy to take Runes of Preservation, Stone and Resistance (45 points) ... with a shield, shieldbearers and Runic weapon that gives -1+ AS with reroll and immunity to KB, and no controversy. That'll do me fine.

The armor bonus for shieldbearers maxes out at 1+.

sds661
05-05-2007, 12:05
The armor bonus for shieldbearers maxes out at 1+.

Now you mention it, I do recall something like that. Armybuilder didn't pick that one up.

Varath- Lord Impaler
05-05-2007, 12:22
Its quite simple under the rules. Killing blow only affects US 1 and 2, he's 3 so no killing blow. Its not against the rules, its not even really an easter egg. Not like some characters with minus saves. It just is how it is.

Deal with it.

khorne666
05-05-2007, 15:54
Ask yourself, though, if that was the intent why does Thorgrim Grudgebearer have the Rune of Preservation? You may want to play it different.

-T10

That is probably more to do with the idea of showing Thorgrim as having lot's of runes and basically being damn hard to kill, he is the high king of a reputedly durable race. Or it could just be a fail safe given the vast amount of problems that GW have with misinterpratations of and problems with the rules.

heretics bane
05-05-2007, 21:48
Poison could still get you, but generally armor is able to deal with that

and i think it makes you immune to posion as well or is that the rune of resistance?

ZomboCom
06-05-2007, 00:51
and i think it makes you immune to posion as well or is that the rune of resistance?

Yes, it makes you immune to poison, but he was refering to the fact that shield bearers make you immune to killing blow but not poison.