PDA

View Full Version : Viking Norse Myth army idea...Help!

big7samuraifan
03-05-2007, 16:27
Hello. I have been batting around an idea I have been toying around with for awhile. I am not asking for points, rules, or any of that, so be gentle when reading through my questions. I have not played WHF since 4th edition...I do not have any army books either, just been looking at them at my local GW store...Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Ok, I am a big Viking & Norse Myth kinda guy. I want to make a Viking/Norse myth army. Sure, it might have been done before, but maybe not like this!

I'd use Hordes of Chaos Book (but also an Empire version of the list & a Middenhiemer version, to get 3 lists for from 1 army!).

Run as chaos undevided (yes?). All snow based... 130 to 170 models...2250 army...everything has full command and upgrades...

Lord - Acharon's horse as Odin's and add 4 more legs to horse (his famous horse had 8 legs) use the grand master of the white wolf model as Odin (has patch over eye), give him a spear (his famous spear) add 2 raven model bits & 2 wolves too (to same base or have seperate?)...Can those 2 ravens &/or wolves be used in some way for him? Like body guards or something?

Hero - Sigmar model on foot, the one with 2 hammers, use as "Thor" and remove lower held hammer and replace with a giants severed head in his grasped hand....Thor hates giants! Glowing effect to his hammer Mjolnir....I could also mount this model in a chariot (pulled by 2 goats) too, if that'd work well in tha game...

Hero - Middenhiemer shaman model on foot (one in blister) to be a Runecaster

Hero - Middenhiemer shaman model on foot (one in blister) to be a Runecaster

Maruaders on foot as Vikings (2 or 3 units of 20)

Maruaders on horse as mounted Vikings (1 or 2 units of 10)

Knights of the white wolves as mounted chaos knights (like to do 13 and convert to look like the 13 warriors from movie the 13th warrior...1 model will be araby model maybe...)

Teutogen guard as chaos knights on foot (adding big viking looking guy from black library, Ulli) (a unit of 10 of 15)

3 Middenhiemers from Mordheim line & the upcoming flagellents to be based on Spawn sized bases (on top of dead butchered bodies) to be Chaos Spawn/Viking berserkers (several of these)

10-15 wolves, to be used as blood hounds (?).

A giant, primed blue, dry brushed lighter blue, and again dry brushed white to be a Frost Giant!

5-10 Females on winged horses (dark elves?), as Valkyries! But how would or could these be used in a chaos army? Is there an entry they'd fit in?

So how is that sounding thus far?

TheWarSmith
03-05-2007, 16:45
Hmmmm, your ideas are very well founded and sound good. The only problem you'll have is mixing the army books will cause problems. I did my senior thesis on Norse Creation Mythology, so I'm a big fan of this kinda stuff too.

I think you'll want to combine hordes of chaos and beasts of chaos(perfectly legal and accepted)

ODIN
I like the Odin's steed. Sounds like a good plan. You will have to shave off archaons legs(or use them as odin's legs), as they're molded onto the steed. The new empire general kit has a plastic head with an eyepatch I believe, so you could use that, and it comes with a lance which could easily be modified into a spear.

HERO
Use any number of the giant heads from the giant sprue(i have extras if you need).

Vikings
To be honest, beastmen would better represent vikings(not the models, but the rules), as they're a very offensive skirmish block that can ambush, which I would think would be very fitting to your theme. They have "unruly" which makes them run towards the closest enemy on a result of a 1, but they'd have a better feel for what you're going for.

The wolves would be "warhounds", which are available in both forms of chaos armies, but are better in beasts(as they can ambush).

Valkyries
Play them as screamers. It's perfect. Their 5+ ward save is Odin's blessing, and their fly by slashing attack can work too. They're also appropriate base sizes, and are very good in an undivided army.

I'm LOVING this list, and if you need any help, let me know. Your ideas are great.

lilljonas
03-05-2007, 16:56
I'd say there's two ways to do Vikings: movie vikings, or historical vikings. Since you're going for the mythical theme, I'd say that's pretty much sorted out: berzerker madmen and mighty gods it is.

For heroes, I really think you should fit in Tyr there, Tyr being the god of war and all that. ;) I'd imagine him as a grim character, lacking one of his arms of course, holding a sword. Tor is warlike, and Oden too (and Oden makes a very nice centerpiece with his horse), but Tyr is the go-to guy for battles. Definitely more fitting than some shamans IMHO.

A great spawn idea would be to get a Fenris wolf to go with Tyr. Bauers version of both Fenris and Tyr is very nice:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/75/John_Bauer-Tyr_and_Fenrir.jpg/180px-John_Bauer-Tyr_and_Fenrir.jpg

Looking forwards to seeing this getting done! :)

Finnblood
03-05-2007, 17:25
I was planning something similar ages ago.

I was thinking of using Mounted Daemonettes as Valkyries (ruleswise).

For good Viking models, check out Foundry Minis. (http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/VIK/index.asp)

larabic
03-05-2007, 17:29
The guy that owns my local gamming store is doing a viking themed army. Using the chaos list. Mauraders as the core troops. Chariots and dogs painted as Rotwielers (sp). He is making valkeries out of the mordhiem priestess with great eagle wings from warmaster. He using the ogre kingdoms gorger models to make grendals out of, they look really cool.

big7samuraifan
03-05-2007, 17:36
Yes, I'd use ONLY one codex (at a time)...not combining codexes for 1 army list...the beastmen idea is perfect! never thought of that...that'll work!

Tyr, why yes!...Just need to lose 1 hand...

I want to stick with 100% GW models for tourny legal....

Lots of dwarf icon bits will be used too for more Norse feel...

I like everyones feedback thus far! Thank you so much! Keep it coming please!

Oh, and my "carry case" is a 28mm viking ship 28"x9" (no sail, and flat bottomed) that'll fit all the models in...made of plastic board, balsa wood, and GW bits with metal deck (magnets under bases of all models)...

Yes, this is a grand project indeed...but I have won several GW awards for painting and converting before, so here I go!

Crube
03-05-2007, 17:36
I'd use the Empire General Sprue for the head you need (with eye patch) as the White Wolf GM is a little small and unimposing....

Hobgoblyn
03-05-2007, 17:56
If you are already going to use Odin and Thor, why not make one of your other characters Loki? Just make him a Sorceror.
Your last one can be Freya, Verandi, Heimdell, Tyr or whomever else you want depending on your tastes.

The Brettonians already have pegasus models, but yeah... the only line where you'll find female models are the elves. Which is sort of dumb, because the Valkyries were not scrawny like elves.

WarWolf
03-05-2007, 19:01
What about DE Which Elfs, they are girls, right. Simple weapon switch and you have nice looking Valkyries, IMO.

And on rules and play lists, I would say go with Beastmen list. I play my Vikings (yes, thats right, I have army of thous guys too) by Chaos mortal list, its fun (most of the time), but this unit thing doesn┤t suit them well. Next time I┤m gonna play horde list...

And some photos, for fun. Hope you┤ll like it.
http://shrani.si/thumbs/odinzlcs.jpg (http://shrani.si/?odinzlcs.jpg)
http://shrani.si/thumbs/medviking0zlct.jpg (http://shrani.si/?medviking0zlct.jpg)
http://shrani.si/thumbs/medwizard0zlcu.jpg (http://shrani.si/?medwizard0zlcu.jpg)
http://shrani.si/thumbs/chariot01szlcw.jpg (http://shrani.si/?chariot01szlcw.jpg)

Delusionist
03-05-2007, 21:22
I'm currently working on an (almost) identical army. I use whatever models I find and use Chaos rules. I plan to base it on marauders (on foot and mounted), and possibly chaos warriors (teutogen guard models). I plan to leave chaos knights at home for now, but laeter I will include some mythological elements (Odin, Tor, Einherjer, Valkyries).

I also found the rules for Centigors kinda interesting, and I'll use them as a bit drunken Vikings.

I converted a marauder horseman to have a two handed axe (flails arn't very Vikingish) ad I'm somewhat happy with how it turned out.

Killshot
03-05-2007, 21:33
How about Marauders for basic Vikings and your Beserkers or Ulfhednar could use the Beastmen rules.

Unless this is a GW model only army, Gripping Beast makes some very nice Irish wolf hounds that could work for you Viking dogs of war.

lilljonas
03-05-2007, 21:37
A chariot in a viking army should be pulled by rams, and nothing else! :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/Thor.jpg

EDIT: look, it's even spiky!

big7samuraifan
03-05-2007, 23:49
so here is a rough army list...1950ish pts...74 models...will work it up to 2k pts...or 2250...using either beasts of chaos book or hordes of chaos...

odin - using acharon model with hairy head, adding 4 legs to horse, replacing sword with spear, adding 2 ravens on shoulders, 2 wolves to base, green stuff an eye patch...run as lord for 235 + points upgarde to about 300 pts

thor - hero - on foot, using valmar on foot model with 2 hammers removing lower hammer and adding severed giants head, adding wolf cape...about 150ish pts...

16 marauders as core...vikings of course, with full command, great weapons, shields, about 200 pts...

16 marauders as core...vikings of course, with full command, great weapons, shields, about 200 pts...

5 marauders on horse with upgrades...about 100 pts

8 Chaos knights mounted (using plastic knights of the white wolf) full armour & great weapons...full command...325ish pts

13 chaos knights on foot (teutogen models), full command, great weapons & full armour...240ish...

10 wolves (khorne hounds) 160 pts

2 spawn (1 rare choice)...middenheimer models each on a spawn base, piles of dead under feet...120ish

2 spawn (1 rare choice)...middenheimer models each on a spawn base, piles of dead under feet...120ish

big7samuraifan
04-05-2007, 00:52
One last thing about this army...since I want to, and need to, get it put together fast and painted fast for tourny in a week, I planned on painting everything like ghosts!

Should I consider maybe playing this ghostly viking army as undead instead?

Also, I'll have bestial brown borders on bases, medium green static grass, base a dark blue, dry brush a light blue, then dry brush white...Is that enough colors (tourny legal)?

WarWolf
04-05-2007, 07:53
Your list is fine, but don┤t go with any less than 20 marauders (25 is even better- when you┤ll play against vempires you┤ll know what I┤m talking about). Drop out one spawn, they are useless anyway... Chariot is better support unit, and it douse some real damage.

Ghostly Vikings...?
Post some pictures after your done it.

Braad
04-05-2007, 08:55
Ow.... if you say Thor, then I see this big dude with his hammer flying around in his chariot...

Come on, give the guy a chariot!

Ow, by the way, if you hadn't noticed, it is perfectly legal to combine the hordes of chaos and beasts of chaos books. Just have a good look at the rules for this (considering core and special mainly). Maybe this opens some new possibilities?

druchii7
04-05-2007, 09:04
I have been thinking abour it.

maybe lizardmen rules would be good. using spears... you can put peltasts (slizon skirmishers with javelins)

chivalrous
04-05-2007, 09:11
A chariot in a viking army should be pulled by rams, and nothing else! :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/Thor.jpg

EDIT: look, it's even spiky!

*shudders*

They're goats, not rams.

WarWolf
04-05-2007, 09:22
...and their names was Tanngniost (Gap Tooth) and Tanngrisnir (Tooth Grinder).

lilljonas
04-05-2007, 09:24
*shudders*

They're goats, not rams.

My bad I thought male goats were also called rams in English. But they're called Tanngnjˇstr or Tanngnojst (the one who grinds his teeth) and Tanngrisnir or Tanngrisner (the gap-toothed one) and they pull the chariot of Tor.

big7samuraifan
04-05-2007, 17:00
Ow, by the way, if you hadn't noticed, it is perfectly legal to combine the hordes of chaos and beasts of chaos books. Just have a good look at the rules for this (considering core and special mainly). Maybe this opens some new possibilities?

I did not know that! Thanks for the info, that might help me even more! Thanks!

big7samuraifan
04-05-2007, 17:04
Should I run "Thor" with the Crom stats/points?

TheWarSmith
04-05-2007, 21:03
One last thing about this army...since I want to, and need to, get it put together fast and painted fast for tourny in a week, I planned on painting everything like ghosts!

Should I consider maybe playing this ghostly viking army as undead instead?

Also, I'll have bestial brown borders on bases, medium green static grass, base a dark blue, dry brush a light blue, then dry brush white...Is that enough colors (tourny legal)?

PLEASE don't rush this army. You'll lose 95% of the luster of this army if you rush it out in a week. If you need to put something together fast, don't make it a special themed army. This baby needs time.

lilljonas
04-05-2007, 21:53
PLEASE don't rush this army. You'll lose 95% of the luster of this army if you rush it out in a week. If you need to put something together fast, don't make it a special themed army. This baby needs time.

Quoted for truth. If you want a quick army, then dip some Tyranids or something. This has eay too much promise! The rich, earthy colours are such a strong theme for Viking aesthetics, please don't waste it.

Cirenivel
04-05-2007, 22:56
And if you were to combine the gods and "mortal" warriors, then there's ,AFAIK, only one time that that would happen... During Ragnarok (armageddon, judgement day, the worlds ending etc.)... and also remember that all the warriors of the gods is, infact dead.

And then, Tor's hammer had a tendency to return to him after he trew it (think boomerang)... and he often ate his goats, only for them to ressurect during the following night... And he should best be represented by a chaos lord/sorcerer (hopefully lord W/mark of tzeentch) and some lighting spells, in a chariot (preferably flying, but then that might be hard to do)...

Just some random rambling about some things that might have been overlooked

Cirenivel

Neknoh
04-05-2007, 23:34
Actually, he could steer clear of Marauders and Beasts and just go straight for Einherjars, the men who have died in battle and have ascended to the halls of Odin (Freya got her share as well, these are however, more beastmen-like), these would do well as Chaos Warriors.

Also, I would reckomend you to mark Odin tzeentch, also include H÷der, the blind son of Odin, he who killed his brother Balder, perhaps Loki would work as well? Both would be suitable characters for sorcerors, esp. Loki.

I would also look deeper into mythology when equipping them, Tyr was not the god of war, Frey was, Frey was the god of prosperity, love (not fertility) and Ordered war/battle, Odin was the god of thunder and chaotic war/battle

Cirenivel
04-05-2007, 23:50
Odin was the god of thunder and chaotic war/battle

Well, Tor was the god of lightning...they said that when he drove his chariot across the skies, thunder followed him(actually it was made by the chariot)

Cirenivel

P.S it's Fr°y and Fr°ya (fancy keeyboard:D )

big7samuraifan
05-05-2007, 02:54
I will take my time I decided. Paint 'em up normally.

I want to add in some of those new Dunlandians from the LOTR line! They are way viking and larger than Rohan figs! 28mm!

So, can a hero choice be on a chariot? I was going to put the Thor on the beastman chariot and use the boar bodies but give the boars the beast heads 'cause they look goaty...

mrtn
05-05-2007, 10:23
I suspect that a boar is much bigger than a beastman, so that would look awkward.

One idea for Thor is to use him as a Tzeentch lord on disc. It's flying, and he can hurl spells (hammer).

You can put a hero on both a HoC and a BoC chariot, but it's easier with HoC, as you can have them marked (IIRC).

big7samuraifan
05-05-2007, 19:29
my vision of what the army might look like

gorenut
05-05-2007, 19:42
my vision of what the army might look like

while individually, those units look cool.. I think as an army, they don't go together very well. Many of those models are inspired from obviously different kinds of vikings. I guess if you're going for some Viking Coalition for Diversity, it'd work.

heldane
05-05-2007, 19:46
If oyu want vikings, why not just buy viking models or even use the LOTR models for rohan?

big7samuraifan
05-05-2007, 20:21
while individually, those units look cool.. I think as an army, they don't go together very well. Many of those models are inspired from obviously different kinds of vikings. I guess if you're going for some Viking Coalition for Diversity, it'd work.

Good point...one I was aware of...to "glue" these different looking/feeling units together I planned on intermixing bits within all the units (some white wolf heads in the maruader bunch for example). Use hammers & axes in most all units. Use dwarf shields with Norse icons that come with dwarf shields to further unify the look of the army. Use wolf capes on most everyone. Plus painting of everything will further unify look. & finally all snow based!

big7samuraifan
05-05-2007, 20:23
If oyu want vikings, why not just buy viking models or even use the LOTR models for rohan?

Mainly to keep it tournie legit. Local GW owner said 95% of army must be WHF line, other 5% can be "green stuff", LOTR, whatever.....Tried Rohan on WHF bases...minis were obviously too small looking next to other WHF armies....New Dunlands will be larger, more Vikingesque...those are the only 4 LOTR I'll squeeze in...

big7samuraifan
05-05-2007, 20:30
Which group of these are best as Valkyries? I am leaning towards hammerers! Used as Daemonettes in game....

Maren
05-05-2007, 20:56
I have no advice except aply for godhood. I will pray to thee every tenthday.

Cirenivel
05-05-2007, 21:35
I think that the models with hammers looks the best suited for valkyries. However, remember to swap weapons and mount them

Cirenivel

WarWolf
05-05-2007, 22:30
Just for info, LoTR miniatures are smaller than Warhammer range minis. I assume you are aware of that. Cos IMO it would look silly to have a dwarfed kind of soldiers for "berserkers".

big7samuraifan
05-05-2007, 23:52
Just for info, LoTR miniatures are smaller than Warhammer range minis. I assume you are aware of that. Cos IMO it would look silly to have a dwarfed kind of soldiers for "berserkers".

These dunlandians will be "larger" then other LOTR minis (according to GW), and I plan to mount each on a pile of dead bodies and skulls & also on a spawn size base...to be spawn...so the visual of "taller" and bigger base will even it out....