PDA

View Full Version : Tomb King 2000

Esco Thomson
03-05-2007, 16:32
Inspired by the recent success of the fellow in the German GT, I decided to create a similar force. Without further ado:

Characters
Tomb King(General)
Flail, Light Armor, Chariot
Chariot of Fire

Icon Bearer
Chariot
Armor of the Ages

Liche Priest(Hierophant)
Skeletal Steed
Dispel Scroll, Collar of Shapesh

Liche Priest
Skeletal Steed
Dispel Scroll, Hieratic Jar

Core
5 Chariots
Standard Bearer, Icon of the Sacred Eye

3 Chariots

1 Tomb Swarm

Special
17 Tomb Guard
Standard Bearer, Icon of Rakaph

2 Tomb Scorpion

3 Carrion

Rare
Bone Giant

Screaming Skull Catapult

Total Roster-2000
PD-2
DD-4

Small but fast moving list. Liches, swarm, and SSC crewman are only models in list with below toughness of 4. Swarm and Tomb Guard are the only slow moving troops in the list, with the swarm being used to hang by my Hierophant, who will be joining the SSC. He can try to intercept any foes, as well as serve as wound fodder for the Collar. The Guard's movement is offset a bit by the Icon of Rakaph. Plan is to run Chariots down a side, with the Guard up the center. Scorpions and giant following where needed, with the carrion trying to get across the table as soon as possible.

Thoughts?

Maelx
03-05-2007, 17:55
I'd highly suggest upgrading your standard bearer to a tomb prince if possible. The extra toughness, wound, and the ability for magic might give your chariots an even bigger punch.

3 carrion are meh. Use them in groups of 5 to flank or destroy runners.

Esco Thomson
03-05-2007, 18:07
I'd highly suggest upgrading your standard bearer to a tomb prince if possible. The extra toughness, wound, and the ability for magic might give your chariots an even bigger punch.

The IB was taken for a few reasons: First, I have been testing him lately, and the extra combat resolution has proven to be extremely helpful. Secondly, by centering my list around more of a fast moving force, I actually do not need to depend on the incantations as much. They are good and needed, but not much in terms of moving.

3 carrion are meh. Use them in groups of 5 to flank or destroy runners.

I would love nothing more than to have the room to field 5 carrion. I simply do not have the points available for them, so it was either field a unit of 3, or none at all. Most of my army should be across the table very quickly, so if they can get there and stop even a turn of war machine fire, then I feel it is 72 points well spent.

forgottenlor
04-05-2007, 07:58
How about giving your Battle Standard bearer the warbanner instead of the armor of ages? The way I see it, If your chariots don't overrun, the situation becomes pretty ugly. I also like the curse banner on a chariot figure, since you are usually in contact with at least 3 models, meaning 3 possible kills on your magic phase. Since you can't include the priests in a chariot unit, you will have to hide them really well, so they don't get grilled or shot. I might put the hierephont on foot with the cloak of dust. That way he isn'T quite so easy a target. Another alternative would be to take 5 light calvary, like your german counterpart, but then you would have to eliminate something else.

Esco Thomson
04-05-2007, 15:53
I had debated giving him a banner, but in all honesty, if they get hung up in combat, the extra +1 probably isn't going to help out much as is. I would rather keep him alive a bit longer instead.

I do agree about protecting my Liches, and in fact right now I am tinkering with the list a bit, might be dropping the SSC in favor of some more TG and a few random things, here and there.

Maelx
04-05-2007, 18:45
I've seen amazing combos pulled as such:

Fly 10 carrion behind the enemy force

charge the front of the force with huge unit of chariots. Anyone even touching these birds on their flee dies.

Esco Thomson
04-05-2007, 19:31
I saw a guy play a list a few weeks ago who capitalized on the crossfire rule. He didn't use 10 carrion, only 6, but he also tunneled 2 swarms to cover a large screen in the back field, and then relied on breaking units in the front and causing them to be wiped out upon the flee.

Rabbit_on_Rampage
05-05-2007, 16:35
The 2 Tomb Scorpions are a little beardy, but overall the list looks pretty good. Some things you may want to change: Make your hierophant join a unit and give him cloak of the dunes. The extra mobility is a must. On the steed his is with now he is standing in the open and will be sniper / magic'd instantly. Also, give your TK the collar of Shapesh and perhaps if cloak of the dunes doesnt apeal to you as much and you want to keep him mounted, sacrifice a DS for the 4+ Ward.

Esco Thomson
08-05-2007, 17:00
So a few days have passed, and I managed to do a minor overhaul to the list. I was able to get more things in that I really wanted, most notably being the carrion count up to 5.

I have a few things which I still would like some advice on, I will ask them after the list:

Characters
Tomb King
Chariot
Flail of Skulls
Chariot of Fire
Icon Bearer
Chariot
Liche Priest
Cloak of Dunes
Hieratic Jar
Liche Priest
Skeletal Steed
Staff of Ravening
Character Total 723

Core
Tomb Swarm
5 Skeleton Light Horsemen
5 Chariots
Standard Bearer
Icon of the Sacred Eye
Core Total 385

Special
5 Carrion
2 Tomb Scorpion
20 Tomb Guard
Standard Bearer
Icon of Rakaph
Special Total 582

Rare
Bone Giant
Screaming Skull Catapult
Rare Total 310
Roster Total 2000

So here are the questions, and things I really want/need some feedback on:

First off, I can easily swap the Chariot of Fire for the Warbanner on my IB. Is that a better option?

Secondly, with regards to the Flail or Skulls on the King. This was a hard item for me to take, as I know it is very good, but I was really trying to just not have to take a lot of points in characters, and this pushed me over 700 points. :( I figured that I do need something to be able to pound monsters or lords, but should I drop it in favor of a normal flail?

Last MAJOR question, if you notice I am seriously lacking magic defense. I am trying this out to see, if I can survive the initial turn or so, and go for more of an all out push strategy. There are plenty of spells out there that will hurt a lot, and with only 4 DD, I understand I won't be able to stop a lot, but against opponents who are trying to dominate the magic phase, the scroll or two isn't really going to stop much in the long run. I figure trying to just get there, into combat/take out wizards might actually work out just fine. Thoughts?

Maelx
08-05-2007, 19:37
First off, I can easily swap the Chariot of Fire for the Warbanner on my IB. Is that a better option?

The chariot of fire will give you an extra 1.5 impact hits at turn on average. It's risky though. You might botch it. Better to stick with the sure thing in IMO.

Secondly, with regards to the Flail or Skulls on the King.

There are just too many giant mosters out there to not take it. For dragons, ogres, and challenges I can't really see you going wrong here.

Last MAJOR question, if you notice I am seriously lacking magic defense.

I suppose you'll just hope things work out in your favor. This is one of the cases where paying the points for the talisman dispel scroll is worthwhile. I run only 4 dd as well, but my army does fine in anti-magic - even against super magic skaven.

Esco Thomson
08-05-2007, 19:44
I suppose you'll just hope things work out in your favor. This is one of the cases where paying the points for the talisman dispel scroll is worthwhile. I run only 4 dd as well, but my army does fine in anti-magic - even against super magic skaven.

Do you run only 4 DD with scrolls(or the pseudo-scroll) or just straight 4 DD?

Maelx
08-05-2007, 20:18
4 dd and a scroll. Remember that in your turn you'll be able to bring some things back if you take heavy magic losses. In fact, I generally like to distract people with my BOtUL unit so I can bring the skeles back in my turn.

The key is knowing what is more important to dispel. 4dd is more than enough to get that one spell you really don't want going off from going off.

jahorin
08-05-2007, 21:15
Keep the chariot of fire, it works wonder against pesky forest spirits. The rest looks solid.