PDA

View Full Version : Been out of FB for a while, need Vamp Counts help

Deadite
03-05-2007, 21:23
Hey all,
Haven't played FB since mid 4th edition. Looking to get back into it with a tourney coming up. 2000pts, All models must be painted. So, it's a good shot in the arm to finish up my Vamp Counts army in 2 weeks or less.
Could use advice on army builds and tactics (yes, I tried reading the tactica thread from last week, but I don't have the patience to troll through 12 pages, filtering out the spam and general nonsense that fills the pages).

Here's what I have available, I haven't really settled on a "theme" or play style, so I'm fairly open to most advice. One caveat - no Necrarch bloodline (no models, don't care for them).
I have all characters taken care of for Vampires (Carsteins, Lahmians, BD's), necromancers, wights, wraiths. Mounted or not, makes no difference. Have a Lahmian conversion on winged nightmare (dark pegasus) and an older Zombie dragon with wightlord. Some are painted, some are not.
Other stuff; (ptd = painted)
ptd - 15 armored skellies w/command
ptd - 30 skellies with spears w/command
ptd - 30 zombies w/command
ptd - 5 black knights with banner, champ
ptd - 14 wolves w/doom wolf
ptd - 3 banshees
ptd - Black Coach
ptd - several wraiths
45 skeletons with hand weapons/sheild
20 skeletons with crossbows (probably just fillers now)
26 zombies (yes, additional zombies)
5 more Black Knights
10 Light Black Knights (old mtd skeletons with lances)
6 fell bats
10 more wolves.

Probably a pretty good start to a decent sized force with plenty of leftovers for summoning.
Looking for a solid competitive list to take on all-comers in a tourney. Strategy, tactics and advice for using said army is always welcome.

Any thoughts to help a guy out?

artisturn
04-05-2007, 03:44
just by using your painted models you can do 2000pts .
Core
25 skellies w/spears and command
15 skellies w/light armor and command
30 zombies standard & musician
5 dire wolves
9 dire wolves w/ doom wolf
special
6 fell bats
5 black nights w/ full command
rare
banshee
black coach
heroes
vampire count
necromancer
wraith
adds up to 1705 . Does not include any upgrades for your heroes and you still have one special slot open.
I have only been playing warhammer for a year now but vampire counts are my only army. I hardly win but here are some things that have worked for me.
Zombies suck at killing stuff if zombies were fighting zombies they would still hardly kill anything.But they are great at tying up units while you charge them from the flanks with your knights and wolves.
Combat resolution is not your friend, I lose more troops to this then I do from combat. Try to keep your zombie and skellie units large as possible, doesnt matter point wise any zombies or skellies you add to an unit do not count toward victory points.
I always give my general the wrist bands of black gold 3+ ward save against missle fire.Because every one knows if you kill the general the army fall aparts. In my last game I was fighting dwarfs and had 14 dwarfs with rifles unload on my general.What should of been my demise was only one wound thanks to that 3 + ward save.
Thats it hope it was helpful .

sralialo
04-05-2007, 07:09
Looks good till you get into it again and can build your own list. I'd go for it, but probably with 2 Necromancers, if you have the points...

Deadite
04-05-2007, 19:10
Here's what I was thinking of using (again, been a while so...)
Characters;
Von Carstein Lord, lvl 3 wizard, Aura, Wristbands, Talisman of Protection, Sword of battle, mtd on barded steed (it's modelled that way).
Necromancer, lvl 2, staff of damnation
Necromancer, lvl 2, book of Arkhan, dispel
Wraith on Nightmare (custom model)

Core;
15 Zombies incl command
15 Zombies incl command
15 skellies w/spears/shield/command
15 skellies w/hand weapon sheild/command
10 Wolves incl doom
10 wolves incl doom

Special;
8 Black knights, Command, Banner of the Barrows (Lord and Wraith join this unit)

Rare;
Black Coach.

Clocks in at just under 2000pts. Zombies are obvious tarpits and position themselves to protect the Necromancers who will be in amongst the skellies. Lord and Knights hold back to take on flankers or immediate threats. Wolves advance quickly to take out artillery, skirmishers, or other isolated threats and hit flanks. Coach draws fire, generally causes havoc where possible.
Then just keep raising corpses and dansing... vigorously.

Thoughts?

Deadite
09-05-2007, 15:45
*Shameless bump*

Could still use advice... anyone else with helpful advice?

Rabban
10-05-2007, 00:03
In general it looks like a nice balanced list, butthe vampire lord uses a hero and lord slot so you have too many characters. I would either lose the wraith or make the vamp a count. This should free up a enough points to make the infantry units bigger, and maybe get some bats.

Also, I prefer to normally run my wolves in small sacrificial units of 5-6 without a doom wolf. It does weaken them in combat (but they're not very powerful either way), but allows you to use them for charge redirecting, march blocking and lone wizard hunting.

I find bats are very useful, hold them back, and try to keep them alive and then either usee them for enemy in the way, or to charge enemies who are fleeing.

Edit: just realised the wristbands and talism are both talismans so you can only take one. Try the ring of the night instead of these.

Lander
10-05-2007, 02:37
Needs fell bats, Undead Flyers are a headache for your foe.

Deadite
10-05-2007, 14:12
In general it looks like a nice balanced list, butthe vampire lord uses a hero and lord slot so you have too many characters. I would either lose the wraith or make the vamp a count. This should free up a enough points to make the infantry units bigger, and maybe get some bats.

Helpful advice. Thank you. Definitely been a while, didn't even read that the lord takes up two slots. Will have to rethink what I want to do.

Also, I prefer to normally run my wolves in small sacrificial units of 5-6 without a doom wolf. It does weaken them in combat (but they're not very powerful either way), but allows you to use them for charge redirecting, march blocking and lone wizard hunting.

Something to consider. Thanks.

I find bats are very useful, hold them back, and try to keep them alive and then either usee them for enemy in the way, or to charge enemies who are fleeing.

Edit: just realised the wristbands and talism are both talismans so you can only take one. Try the ring of the night instead of these.

Sounds good. Thanks for the tips. I'll have to mull it over and see what else I can come up with.

ice5nake
10-05-2007, 20:03
I like a Count (take your pick) w/ the sword of unholy power in with a group of 5 black knights and 3 necromancers where ever you like.

The thing that scares me is if you want the benefit from the SoUP you need to get your Count, who's your general, into CC ASAP. Therefor pick your battles carefully with your Count and his unit.

I'd also like the Book of Arkham on one of the necros to make sure you get at least one VDM spell.

I like to have Lore of Death on the count as well.

thedodgeypanda
12-05-2007, 18:14
1,000s of zombies