PDA

View Full Version : How much magic for WE?

Angus
03-05-2007, 21:59
I don't like magic, at least not to go magic heavy. I don't want to spend too many points on magic. But I know that WE is quite fragile to damage from magic, and that WE magic can be quite helpfull as well, and my question is, how much magic do i have to invest in to surive the magicphase, and to be able to get somthing out of my magic-user as vell?

Edit: 2000pts list...

night2501
04-05-2007, 01:31
well that depends, i think 2 mages one lvl 1 and one lvl 2 is plenty, and gives a solid magic defense, that`s for an all comer army, but I managed to defeat a HE army that had tons of magic with no mages at all, it was basically a kurnos army so I was in combat in the second turn
so it depends of your army and mage hunting ability, but i think a mage with 2 scroll is most of the time a must, just to save you fro mthos egame changing spells, oh and treesing can be nasty too, and lvl 1 mages can cast it easily...
2 lvl 1 WE mages with 3DS and the item tha tlet you cast treesing more than once ^plus a treemen, and you cast like 4 spell per phase, with adecent magic defense and not going magic heavy...

RavenBloodwind
04-05-2007, 01:47
To go purely on the cheap, obviously the generic scroll caddie at 120 pts (level 1 w/2 dispel scrolls) is your bargain basement.

If you want to be able to cast and have defense, a reasonable combination is a level 2 wizard with scrolls backed up by a branchwraith caster with the cluster of radiants for a spare dispel die. The branchwraith can be used as a decent combat character in addition to it's casting/defense abilities.

lokigod
04-05-2007, 03:26
Well I would say branch wraiths if you dont like magic. Also rember a treeman comes with a bound tree singing so that a free spell. Although I find wood elf magic very helpful, but thats me:)

Scibadi
08-05-2007, 19:20
For 2000pts I suggest two lvl 2's, one with dispel scrolls as said above but the other with a power stone in case you find a situation where you really need to pull off a particular spell.

It's not the cheapest combo but you still have plenty of points left over for your general and other troops.

mortetvie
09-05-2007, 03:14
I was wondering this question too, so thank you to the original poster. I play a purely non forest spirit army, so.. no dryads treemen or anything like that.

I recently made room in my 2k list for one level 2 mage with moonstone of hidden ways just so I can get close to the enemy or behind them with either a big archer unit or eternal gaurd, however, do you guys think its more worthwhile to have scrolls?

nieto666
09-05-2007, 04:08
scrolls come in handy so i say stick with them if you go tree free!! now the question becomes how big of a archer unit??? i only use small archer units, 10 man, with no bells and whistle....normally three of these in a 2000 point game. i feel that 2 units of 10 do the job the same or better then a larger unit of say 20.