PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf help

skott4991
03-05-2007, 22:17
I'm starting a new dwarf army so could some one give some advise on whats worth it and whats not.

Thanks.

Badgertronic
03-05-2007, 22:30
worth it-
thunderers
slayers
ironbreakers
hammerers
quarellers
everything i say except stone thrower

ekxw
03-05-2007, 22:45
near all the troups are usefull, uhmm, i play a lot with them and i use this list.

at 1500
warriors, longbeards, quarrelers, thunderers, ("always with shield").

iron breakers, miners (they rocks), and 2 bloththrowers,

also you can use a stone thrower or canon just tastes.

and always a organ cannon.

at 2000

ironbreakers miners and hammerers or slayers, and all the rest.

and a organ gun and a girocopter.

all the troups are usefull, for example lot of people like most hammerers than ironbreakers, (i like more ironbreakers), but thats just question of tastes.

i prefer a dwarf lord, than a runelord with anvil, also i like a lot the standar bearer.

the question i how will you play, all infantry all shoots, half and half, you can play in a lot of ways with dwarfs thats for sure

larabic
03-05-2007, 23:06
In most instances i would take a flame cannon over a organ gun...i have caused so many units to run off the table from only taking 1-2 wounds it isnt even funny...plus it does D3 wounds so it can hurt bigger stuff really well.

Lord Of The Night
03-05-2007, 23:26
be sure to give the thunderers or quarellers shields cause they can fight just fine especially for shootier troops. also take plenty of warriors(as these are the heart of your army) i usually take around three blocks(20-25 strong) i also prefer to use a thane over a lord in bigger games for extra points but that is just personal preference.

Crazy Harborc
04-05-2007, 00:04
With a basic leadership of 9....who needs heros.....Still need them, just NOT for leadership.

Dwarf Bolt throwers have worked well for me. I'll second those shields for the shooters.:)

intellectawe
04-05-2007, 01:23
Depends on the kind of player you are.

If you want to play just to have fun, pick anything but Thorek.

If you want to win, pick Thorek.

:)

Dead Man Walking
04-05-2007, 02:09
I would avoid using miners at first, they will disapoint. I dont like stone throwers and the gyrocopter is only useful for marchblocking if your opponent doesnt have a unit that can easily charge it like skirmish/fastcav/single char/flyers. It also gets toasted by magic and shooting, the trick is to make it look like less of a threat than everything else. Flying demons will crush it with fear. I also dont like slayer characters outside a unit of slayers.

Lord Of The Night
04-05-2007, 02:19
i disagree on the stonethrower. ive used one since i started my dwarf army with the runes of penetrating and accuracy on it and it rarely disappoints.

ekxw
04-05-2007, 09:52
miners and girocopters are the only way to reach enemy war machines, dragonslayers are cheap 50 p, and also they are very usefull no one will charge a war machine if a slayer kills him

static grass
04-05-2007, 10:05
Take loads of regiments, 3 heroes, a gyrocopter and strollaz rune!

I laugh so much during the first turn. To generalize: If your opponent panics you will win, if he remains calm you will lose...but both cases will be fun for both of you.

Gunlines are dull.

eleveninches
04-05-2007, 10:14
gunlines are fun

gukal
04-05-2007, 12:51
If you are just starting:

Get lots of basic warriors equipped with hand weapon/shield. You will be glad you did.

All war machines are good. Cannons and bolt-throwers are my personal favorites, but all have some distinct uses.

Get yourself to www.bugmansbrewery.com as quick as you can. Read all the tactics threads. Then buy troops.

- Gukal

intellectawe
04-05-2007, 14:59
Get yourself to www.bugmansbrewery.com as quick as you can. Read all the tactics threads. Then buy troops.

- Gukal

Just becareful on race specific sites. They are not objective and are biased based on the older posters on those sites. Case in point, if you want to win, use Thorek because he is very powerful, but on that site, mention Thorek and you'll get a good stern talking to by the grump posters on there.

Majority rules, even over the truth. I stopped going to race specific sites. Just listen to the posters on this site, for the most part.

gukal
04-05-2007, 16:45
Just becareful on race specific sites. They are not objective and are biased based on the older posters on those sites. Case in point, if you want to win, use Thorek because he is very powerful, but on that site, mention Thorek and you'll get a good stern talking to by the grump posters on there.

Majority rules, even over the truth. I stopped going to race specific sites. Just listen to the posters on this site, for the most part.

Although this is an excellent forum, you misrepresent the Brewery mightily.

At the Brewery, you will find distilled, applied knowledge about the Warhammer Dwarfs that vastly exceeds anything this one thread can hope to manage. Indeed, there are threads dissecting every troop choice, every piece of equipment, every possible opponent as well as interesting debates generally on army design. Just read and make up your own mind.

- Gukal

intellectawe
05-05-2007, 06:45
Although this is an excellent forum, you misrepresent the Brewery mightily.

At the Brewery, you will find distilled, applied knowledge about the Warhammer Dwarfs that vastly exceeds anything this one thread can hope to manage. Indeed, there are threads dissecting every troop choice, every piece of equipment, every possible opponent as well as interesting debates generally on army design. Just read and make up your own mind.

- Gukal

Oh, so each Thorek anvil list I used to post, which never got any responses, were handled with "distilled knowledge" as they were ignored while the afore mentioned non anvil lists are full of "distilled knowledge" with the old grumblers responding en flock?

Must be my imagination that posters on there ignore Thorek lists :)

Sorry!

heretics bane
05-05-2007, 09:25
organ guns are fun for quickly making wood elf units and other skirmishers into a bloody smear on the ground very fast, dwarfs excel in every thing besides moving and artillary like dwarf cannons, i find are a must for a dwarf army

intellectawe
05-05-2007, 16:12
I agree. Organ guns are great anti flank units. They are a must in my lists.