PDA

View Full Version : Question for Current GW Employees

Naxeur
04-05-2007, 01:36
Hi, I'm currently living in Orlando, FL. I work as an actor, and the work does not come easily. I'm often working as a waiter or in retail at jobs I hate. I've really loved the GW hobby for years, and I'm looking for a change of career.

Lately, I've wanted nothing more than to work at a GW. I would like to be surrounded by things I enjoy, and don't mind doing the work at all. I see on the careers website that most of their stores appear to be hiring. Is this accurate? Or just leftover fluff from when they were hiring? What I mean to ask is, do they keep this information up to date.

Also, how is working there? Do you get enough hours etc?

I'm really interested in the prospect, but would have to move in order to do so. I want to have a rewarding job, and have been thinking about moving anyway.

Just looking for any advice. Thanks in advance.

Also, sorry if this is the wrong section for this. Figure it was a questioni about the company so it would be okay.

-Nax

Osbad
04-05-2007, 10:33
I suspect you may be a bit late...

GW aren't likely to be hiring much at the minute, and as for the long term prospects....

Animatronica
04-05-2007, 10:46
'thats not neccessarily true, the nature of GW means that positions tend to open up frequently (a lot of staff are at University or are students about to go to University.) It will depend a lot on the individual store and manager, if you want to work at a GW you will need a painted army for all three games systems and a basic knowledge of the rules of all three at least. i know people who have got away with two games and learnt the third on the job (you guessed it LOTR.)
the way the recruitment works in the UK is that stores are grouped together in "cells" depended on proximity to each other. i expect that in the US this is different as the stores are more widespread. what happens is you will fill out an application form depending on whether they have any positions available in the cell and they will get back to you when they are hosting a recruitment drive. these tend to be day events where they recall all the applicants to one store and interview them. they are looking for people with personality (believe it or not) and talent painting doesnt hurt as well. Luckily lots of people that hand in GW application forms are dribbling idiots and the ratio of actual people worth hiring to useless people is about 1:6 so figure your odds.

Good luck in whatever you do!

blongbling
04-05-2007, 13:16
you should send in your information to the relevant office.....it does say in the press release that they will continue to open stores so they will still be looking for staff.

Lots of people will tell you not to do it and that GW doesnt look after its staff, etc, etc...my advice to you, try it and make up your own mind

Archaon
04-05-2007, 13:40
Just wait until you hear the salary.. should be clear by then if you want to work for them or not.

Crube
04-05-2007, 14:01
and whether you want to work surrounded by screaming snotty nosed kids.... running intro games repeatedly...

For me, and many others, having your hobby as your job killed the fun side.

For others (more lucky than I) find the hobby still fun.

It's down to you as an individual...

OrlyggJafnakol
04-05-2007, 14:03
If he is working in retail then the salary will be little different to asda or toys r us surely?

As Archaon said, try it, make up your mind. Having worked as a waiter and in retail I know how soul destroying those jobs can be. talking about something you love can make a big difference.

AMBS
04-05-2007, 14:14
You need to be best buddies with someone in the store you want to work at in order to get in.

Galdur Hrafnsson
04-05-2007, 19:07
No you don't. You just need to have a good outgoing personality and be able to run introductory games for the three core systems.

And as for the long term prospects, I was friends with a key timer back in my home town a good few years ago. After a while he moved on to working for white dwarf, and eventually became editor for the black library. How's that for prospects? ;)

Archaon
04-05-2007, 19:43
As Archaon said, try it, make up your mind.

Actually i said he should wait until he hears what salary he's about to get.. i guess that should cure him of the idea to work in his hobby for GW :p

spacepope
04-05-2007, 23:15
[QUOTE=OrlyggJafnakol;1527154]If he is working in retail then the salary will be little different to asda or toys r us surely?

i have worked for both toys 'r' us and gw and gw pay less but it's a better job as its something you enjoy and the people are great to work with. and then there is the discount of 50% (there is no more wait order i'm afraid)

The Ape
04-05-2007, 23:34
You need to be best buddies with someone in the store you want to work at in order to get in.

i got a job at the Leicester store without knowing anyone there. Although, I did play on the same university american footy team as the manager-but his last year was the year before i started...

fwacho
05-05-2007, 10:58
dude... I've been where you've been. I can't tell you how many times running a my own games store has crossed my mind.
having core rules knowldge of the big three I woudl guess is pretty key. If you're a good painter they might put you to work on the store army. 9 I remember talkign to a guy who said he wasn't allowed to paint his own army while on the clock.

I doubt games store customers can be more difficult than your eaters in the restaurant industry. at least you have the chance to make a friend and train a future opponent while answering questions... at least that's what I tell myself when I toy with the idea.