PDA

View Full Version : Learn me some Tau.

Melchiah
05-05-2007, 19:22
Thats right you read what I said.:D
As some of you may or may not of seen my other threat about how to get my wife to play a second army; I think im going to go with Tau....be a crappy Tau thread if i picked Eldar huh.
All i know is that they have The tau themselves have next to no CC abilties, all shootings, Battlesuits, Mercs which make up for the lack of CC.
Anyone learn me some Tau?

ancient_conflict
05-05-2007, 19:26
erm don't get into close combat.

erm start small get a box of fire warriors a box of kroot and a normal battle suit that should give you some flexibility

erm dont roll ones it doesn't help

just had my derrier handed to me in 500pts against marines

oh and gun drones are better value than fire warriors

Melchiah
05-05-2007, 19:47
Oh ya forgot to menchen that i was thinking of picking up the battleforce. I assume its a good start. But roughly how many point are in it?

The Keeper of Secrets
05-05-2007, 19:57
Pick up the codex first. Do.

ancient_conflict
05-05-2007, 20:00
erm also if you go to ebay or other second hand retailer etc etc be careful the majority are plasic and an absolute nightmare to strip

Mr Hat
05-05-2007, 21:53
Battleforce is pretty good. There are three basic styles of Tau:

Mech: FW in devilfishes, crisis suits and hammerheads. High speed, well armored

Static: FW on foot, broadsides, stealth drones. Good long rnage shooting

Hybrid: mix of both.

Choose what best fits your play style.

Great Harlequin
05-05-2007, 22:02
Kroot are worth their weight in gold, as they're just great for screening your Battlesuits, have a 4+ cover save in woods, very cheap, and have a free Bolter. Bargain! Gotta love 'em!

susu.exp
05-05-2007, 22:17
Battleforce is pretty good. There are three basic styles of Tau:

Choose what best fits your play style.

To add to that: The Battleforce will give you about 700pts give or take a couple.

My personal list is pretty much FWs and Drones (only the Commanders suit and some Piranhas to back them up). Tau have some of the best weapons to deal with enemy armour, Railguns from a distance and Fusion blasters up close (IMO beating other armies Melta weapons, because they are on mobile units that ca actually escape the return fire). Markerlights give you a way of improving your considerate firepower some more. If you have a particular style of play in mind, or particular units you like the look of and want to include, Im sure there will be pointers...

Melchiah
06-05-2007, 20:25

I quess i would have to go with type 3, as it would give me a chance to try both types at once then deside to go either way.

Im not too keen on the Tau heads, does anyone know what other "alien" looking heads would fit. I was thinking about using beastmen heads as the tau already have hoofs.

nightgant98c
08-05-2007, 04:23
I just use the helmeted heads. I don't dislike the way the heads look, i just think a guy with a helmet should wear it.

superknijn
08-05-2007, 08:03
Well, the Battleforce, on average, could give you about 300-400 points, IIRC, and that's with a battlesuit commander without any special commander bits. However, it's a great start.

Captain Micha
08-05-2007, 13:27
Go for the mega force if you're serious about Tau, then chase it with a battleforce, and you should be nearly done with them.

otherwise start with the battleforce, then buy the mega force later.

as for their cc... yes... it is infact the suck.

kroot are meant to be meat shields for it.. against anything dedicated for it, they really start sucking. but otherwise can tie up maybe even maim the typical 6 man las plaser

when fighting ac spammers, take ion heads for heavy support and mass crisis suits with melta and plasma... he wants it to become a race of who dies first? make him take less saves....

jump shoot jump =gg no re most of the time.

avoid vespid at all costs....

rail rifle pathfinders are infact pretty good when you need em. people swear by the sniper drone team but it lacks in mobility in my personal opinion.

Melchiah
08-05-2007, 19:44
As much as i would love a Megaforce its not in the budget.
Whats wrong with the vespid?

harlequin21
08-05-2007, 19:58
whats wrong with vespid?

where do i start...

They're guns while very powerful are on 12" range which means they're exposed to rapid fire or assault from the remnants this coupled with the flak armour save makes them incredibly fragile.
I mentioned their guns being powerful yes? well hitting is a problem at BS3 so if you dont set them up right they're gone.

Overall they're too tricky to use, i gave mine away

Melchiah
08-05-2007, 23:33
Ive heard of people not using them just cuz of there look. Iam i the only one who likes the way they look?

ChaosTicket
08-05-2007, 23:36
Vespid are a fast, relatively cheap unit that fights against MEQs. Personally i like them, however they are mono-tasked like Eldar Units. If Vespid could have a rapid fire mode and 4+ armor they would be much better. If Strain Leaders could have a several shot AT weapon the would be awesome, instead of great.

Give Fire Warriors units of 10-20 and Battlesuits units of 1-5.

Sybaronde
09-05-2007, 00:19
Vespid are a fast, relatively cheap unit that fights against MEQs. Personally i like them, however they are mono-tasked like Eldar Units. If Vespid could have a rapid fire mode and 4+ armor they would be much better. If Strain Leaders could have a several shot AT weapon the would be awesome, instead of great.

It's a pity about the Vespids really. They're about 5 - 7% less survivable then Aspect Warriors in close combat, but from shooting, they're so dead they don't even have a fair chance anymore. Which is one of the points at why I don't like to use them that often - because their success is so conditional that it's not really worth it.

And as for cheap... I'd rather have 6 Striking Scorpions in my Tau Army rather then Vespids. They should've been less expensive, imho.

ehlijen
09-05-2007, 03:11
Vespid are allright. They're fast and have a good gun. Yes, it's bs 3, but so is everyone esle in a tau army and unlike kroot, vespid can use markerlights to help their to hit roll. Send them against small fire support squads (which with the new comat squad prevelance will be more common) and you can badly hurt/tie them up. Vespid also have one of the highest leaderships in a tau army and so are good for tieing up stuff even if they can't beat it.

Hollopoint
09-05-2007, 04:28
I'm just starting out with Tau as well and I got me a Book, BattleForce, Megaforce, Extra box of Firewarriors, a broadside and an Ethereal. Which is has given me a decent start. I just need to get myself a commander and I'm done for the moment. Will probably look to branch out into more Kroot, Stingwings and forgeworld goodies in the future but I think I have enough to work with at the moment.

I've not played 40k in ages but I really like their look and they seem to be a bit more tactical than alot of other things on offer. Sure they suck in combat but I think they shoot in a more interesting way than say, some IMP G armies. Suppose what I'm trying to say is that that don't appear to be static.

Captain Micha
09-05-2007, 13:49
Vespid while having a great looking mini (in my opinion one of the best I've ever seen) are almost as worthless as pariah. (actually I will venture to say that Pariah are better.....)

5+ crap save means you'll never be taking your armor save since pretty much every army in the game's basic trooper gun is going to mow right through it... a 12 inch range one shot weapon which is mediocre at meq popping. (sorry tau rail rifle path finder is much much much better at this... that whole +1 more str and TRIPLE the range.. and pin test.....)

if they actually had an armor save worth noting, and had more than 1 shot to their weapon I would retract my statement but for the points.. you could do far far better with anything else in the list

nightgant98c
09-05-2007, 20:15
I'm just starting out with Tau as well and I got me a Book, BattleForce, Megaforce, Extra box of Firewarriors, a broadside and an Ethereal. Which is has given me a decent start. I just need to get myself a commander and I'm done for the moment. Will probably look to branch out into more Kroot, Stingwings and forgeworld goodies in the future but I think I have enough to work with at the moment.

I've not played 40k in ages but I really like their look and they seem to be a bit more tactical than alot of other things on offer. Sure they suck in combat but I think they shoot in a more interesting way than say, some IMP G armies. Suppose what I'm trying to say is that that don't appear to be static.

The megaforce has a commander and an ethereal, and vespid for that matter.

Hlokk
09-05-2007, 21:18
I don't really follow this fish of fury tactic, but here's my overview of the stuff in the battleforce:

Basic firewarrior squads: Right, 2 basic principals. 1: They have S5 weapons, which rule against pretty much anything and means they can glance armour 11. AP on them sucks ass though. 2: Range 30 means you should stick them far back, in cover, and get an extra turn's shooting at the enemy if they move towards you. I found carbines aren;t really worth it. Pinning isn't that reliable.

Kroot: Not too bad, don't be afraid to stand and shoot with them. their not great in combat (they will mince basic stuff like termigants and guardsmen, but against anything over, say, 14 points a peice, they struggle). Kroothounds are a decent addition, krootox are a waste of points when you can get broadsides.

Gun drones: The hidden gem in the tau list. Deep strike and jetpacks combined with assault weapons makes them stupidly mobile. Cheap as chips and I always field 1 squad on a flank and one deep striking.

Battlesuits: Doesn't matter what you're doing, always take units of multiple suits. Everything counts in large amounts!!! I've found that plasma rifles and missile pods work well together, as do burst cannons and flamers. If your after a commander though, buy the commander box as you get all the cool bits in there.

Pirranah: not too bad if you give it a fusion blaster. Don't really rate it in large squadrons though

Anyway, hope that helps a bit.

Melchiah
09-05-2007, 21:39
Thnx Hlokk. What about pathfinders? Any thing i know of the Tau was mostly from the first codex.

Rogue 7
10-05-2007, 01:14
Hlokk- I've found I don't know what to do with Fire Warriors if I'm not rapid-firing them. 12 shots at BS 3, even at S5, really don't cut it. I prefer to get up close and rapid-fire. Add the fire from their devilfish, and other supporting units, and they should be able to eliminate a threat to them if you play them well.

UncleCrazy
10-05-2007, 06:47
When I played against the Tau the guy I play against use marker lights to give his guys better chance to hit. I have not read the Tau Codex yet tho so I am not sure about the little things like that.

Iceheart2112
10-05-2007, 07:24
I have a theory for pathfinders. Its a theory as I've not had the chance to try it out yet. Its a 6-tau squad with 3 rail rifles and 3 carbines w/ markerlights. Kit out the DF with SMS and the other goodies, but don't load up the PF in them (you now have another decent tank out there for the enemy to worry about). Put some seeker missiles on the DF and (because of my list) the other DF's in the army (two troop choices have them). Since the rail rifles have a target lock, you can markerlight the higher priority targets with the carbine wielding PF's, while taking potshots at smaller priorities with the rail rifles. Six seeker missiles help out when/if you need them, and since everything else in the list shoots at BS 4 or 5 (looooove me some targetting array), the markerlights can help with the FoF and rapid firing fire warriors.

Hlokk
10-05-2007, 13:38
Hlokk- I've found I don't know what to do with Fire Warriors if I'm not rapid-firing them. 12 shots at BS 3, even at S5, really don't cut it. I prefer to get up close and rapid-fire. Add the fire from their devilfish, and other supporting units, and they should be able to eliminate a threat to them if you play them well.

Ah, see once you put it like that, it kind of makes sence. The only problem with it, as far as I can see, is that in order to move and get off 24 shots at an enemy unit, you're going to end up within 12 inches of the enemy, which (unless its grots) will probably muller the squad in combat. Personally I'd rather have another couple of turns staying static and laying down rifle shots than charging in for one kamakazi run. Plus don't forget, if BS3 is a problem, you can always use markerlights.

@Melchiah: Under the old rules, they sucked. Now you can get rail rifles AND the awesome markerlight rules, they are worth, although 1 squad will probably suffice. Also, kit out the devilfish with a couple of seeker missiles.

I'd also like to say that sniper drones are very very cool, although the 2 inch coherancy with the controller kind of sucks, but they are a very nice addition, especially for only 80 points.

Iceheart2112
10-05-2007, 19:54
Ah, see once you put it like that, it kind of makes sence. The only problem with it, as far as I can see, is that in order to move and get off 24 shots at an enemy unit, you're going to end up within 12 inches of the enemy, which (unless its grots) will probably muller the squad in combat.

But this is where the Fish of Fury tactic comes into play. They've got to get around the tank, which has a 1 inch barrier that the enemy can't get in to. Since the DF chassis is 6 inches long, you can usually place your men out of assault range.