PDA

View Full Version : empire tactica

kiron
05-05-2007, 19:04
Just a thread for empire tactics.

One i just found useful is the super MSU style list. It works really well if you have enough hammers in your army. 3 units of 10 basic shooters (handgunners or xbowmen whatever) for your static fire support. then give each of them 2 units of 5 halberdiers/free company detachment as throw away units for redirecting charges, baiting, etc... (put the detachment in formation of 3 models front and 2 behind for maximum manoevrability). Then have a few hammers like war altar, 12 knights, maybe a tank of course backed up by 2 great cannons. honestly 6 unit running around will cause so much havoc. distrupting enemy movement.

The theory is against a horde armies where your hammerers are "point sinks" your 6 throwaway units will disrupt movement so much and vs. more elite armies your hammerers can win.

P.S. Silverhorn may be useful :D

Share more empire suggestions ;)

captaincortez
06-05-2007, 03:27
Quite simply, I use my shooting to thin my opponents ranks and then I destroy them with static CR due to my ranks, outnumber, and detachment flanking. I also have a weak flank (handgunners and cannons) that I defend with a tank and 5 knights. Barely anything gets past the tank and the weak units on my flank can avoid combat. I also favor the captain on pegasus as a cheap harassment unit.

MarcoPollo
06-05-2007, 05:14
A good little trick for a parry-riposte is to use a large units of skirmishing bowmen to bait out charges. Put a captain with rod of command in the unit. The beauty of a skirmishing unit, is that once the chargers have hit the front rank, you can place your models how you like. This allows you to place the captain against easy models so that you only have to face regular troops. You can usually avoid being killed in combat this way. Then, at the end of the phase, you can pull the rod of command and flank away.

The_Dark_Raven
06-05-2007, 22:57
i tend to use a simple gun them down tactic where i will shoot the enemy with cannon, hangunners ect. until i get to charge, when i charge my knights are always on the left side of the field this is because my greatsword are in the middle slightly to the left. when the greatsword get to the enemy the get the charge the next turn if the enemy is still there the knights hit them. This doesn't always work but if you need to keep the greatswords alive or just peeve your foe attach a captain with sword of sigismund so that your killing 1-3 of thier men beofre the get to try to stop your great weapons from hitting them to pieces.

With the Cannon it is usally on the right side of the field and is placed pretty far from the edge mabey 6-10" to ensure i get a nice shot and can clear out lots of men on the bounce. to back it up i have spearmen who simple sit near them and protect them from being charged along with 5 free company detachment this helps for flanking. The core of my army is Swordsmen and Hallies who to straight into CC with thier detachments fighting hard to protect them, on top of them is the handgunners and crossbowmen who shot down the unit numbers try to thin down ranks in order to help in CR.

with this i tend to put fear into those who fight me and if surprise comes my way i got warrior priests and wizards:p they are meerly there to look pretty and aid my men in CC the wizard might ( depending in which one i use order wise ) try to knock of the slower or flank units to ease the battle turn by turn.

my two cents eh:skull:

MarcoPollo
06-05-2007, 23:36
I think the new terrain rules have a large impact on empire players. Anyone have terrain tactics to go with their empire army?

lparigi34
07-05-2007, 03:08
A good little trick for a parry-riposte is to use a large units of skirmishing bowmen to bait out charges. Put a captain with rod of command in the unit. The beauty of a skirmishing unit, is that once the chargers have hit the front rank, you can place your models how you like. This allows you to place the captain against easy models so that you only have to face regular troops. You can usually avoid being killed in combat this way. Then, at the end of the phase, you can pull the rod of command and flank away.

Unless you get challenged!

Jackster
08-05-2007, 03:27
When do we have Hammerers in Empire?

Kedlav
08-05-2007, 05:29
he's referring to the use of the hammer & anvil tactic, not to hammerers. Read the entire post...

Frankly
08-05-2007, 08:06
When do we have Hammerers in Empire?

We also have very long handled hammers called cannons and H.Rifles + Outriders.

Empire can hammer units and characters at long range and as long as you have a strong game plan to finish off your opponents units, then your shooting phase is an effective smashing tool.

I'm using 2 canons, 40 H.gunners and 2 units of Outriders which gives me 6 H.rifles. In 2250pts I'm also thinking about using a rocket battery.

I support them with a unit of swordsmen, spearmen and a free company, all with detachments(including huntsmen) + 2 small knight units + a strongish magic phase(3 lvl 3 mages).

I start the game as far back on the table as possible and target characters with my H.Rifles and cannons. Especially generals and BSBs, then magic users.

With in 24" I concentrate fire on my opponents key units and try to stagnate strong assaulting combo's coming my way with the help of huntsmen and knights. The magic phase either targets skirmishers or rolls heavens and aids in dice rolling.

For this armylist, combat is all about concentrating charges on depleted enemy units and using static CR and detachments to give me the edge in CR totals.

So really, I try to stick to the basic strong points of empire, which is lots of cheap units including black powder units and detachments and let the man power do the work for me.

WillFightForFood
08-05-2007, 16:07
I support them with a unit of swordsmen, spearmen and a free company, all with detachments(including huntsmen) + 2 small knight units + a strongish magic phase(3 lvl 3 mages).

:rolleyes:

Odieman
08-05-2007, 16:26
I'm using 2 canons, 40 H.gunners and 2 units of Outriders which gives me 6 H.rifles. In 2250pts I'm also thinking about using a rocket battery.

I start the game as far back on the table as possible and target characters with my H.Rifles and cannons. Especially generals and BSBs, then magic users.

Have you ever heard of cheesy army lists before? And do you get any negative remarks about your army list? Because to me 60 strength 4 armour piercing shots as well as 6 H. Rifles seems a bit over the top.

Oh and You did mean 3 lvl 2 wizards right?

Sorry for this but I had to get it of my chest, If I played against that army I think I would be quite annoyed.

Frankly
09-05-2007, 08:35
Have you ever heard of cheesy army lists before? And do you get any negative remarks about your army list? Because to me 60 strength 4 armour piercing shots as well as 6 H. Rifles seems a bit over the top.

Oh and You did mean 3 lvl 2 wizards right?

Sorry for this but I had to get it of my chest, If I played against that army I think I would be quite annoyed.

Actually we've been testing this and other lists for up coming tournies, I've found everybody I've played against pretty happy to test their lists against a ranged attack heavy armylist, so they can build in negating units for ranged attack units.

It is a strongish list thats geared for tournament play and Imho the most fun alot of people have at tournies is a nice tough match up, and I beleive that this list will be in alot of tough fights in my next few tournies. If it matches up against weaker or fluffy lists then its my job as a veteran of my club and tournies not to go out and totally destroy my opponent, but make sure that everyone has an alright time win, loose or draw.

Its the environment I play in that makes it acceptable. My gaming group and new and veteran players at the club are pretty happy with it, it has faults and problems in its battleline and in its shooting phases that a good all round list can take advantage of. A pretty basic horde armylist with some fast support and anti-magic has been a problem for example.

oh yeah thanks 3 LvL2 mages sorry about that:(

MarcoPollo
10-05-2007, 15:26
Unless you get challenged!

Stick a champion in the unit for that. Then hit him in the flank with a whatever you need.

lparigi34
10-05-2007, 17:37
Stick a champion in the unit for that. Then hit him in the flank with a whatever you need.

Cool trick, you just need to time it correctly. Nice!