PDA

View Full Version : Building the Great Unclean One from nowhere!

Malakian
06-05-2007, 10:18
I decided to make a whole topic for this guy.

here's the base of my mini:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/IMAG0211.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/IMAG0212.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/IMAG0213.jpg

And heres some progress I did yesterday:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/IMAG0214.jpg

termie is for scaling purpose only. More pics tonight.

want to see my GUO's army? look here http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79618

Merceus
06-05-2007, 10:31
That is too awesome! I must see more! That is unnatural!!

Malakian
06-05-2007, 12:07
Did some progress today:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/IMAG0215.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/IMAG0217.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/IMAG0218.jpg

Arhalien
06-05-2007, 12:09
When I saw the first pictures I thought; oh dear...

Then when i saw what you were sculpting over the top of it I thought; wow! :)

I look forward to more :D

Nineswords
06-05-2007, 12:23
I prefer the 'huge gelatinous blob' look :D

Merceus
06-05-2007, 14:03
Nice work again... is he gonna have teeth? Horns? a Tongue? What weapons? Am I being annoying? Is the spine gonna be gone? Or somewhere else? Or loose? is he gonna have maggots? Nurglings? A head on the tongue? Assuming there is a tongue... like on the olderish model?

HiveTrygon
06-05-2007, 15:31
Fantastic so far. I'll be watching.

Malakian
06-05-2007, 19:19
is he gonna have teeth? Horns? a Tongue? What weapons? Am I being annoying? Is the spine gonna be gone? is he gonna have maggots? Nurglings?
yes, not sure, mayby, sword/mace or flail, yes you are :), it will be there when I get that far, didnt even think about that, yes.

Now did you get answer to everything you wanted? ;)

sanctusmortis
06-05-2007, 19:29
Why are so many people on here such awesome sculptors? It's unfair! :D

Seriously, great work there. Sub added!

Aflo
06-05-2007, 19:56

Then when i saw what you were sculpting over the top of it I thought; wow! :)

Haha! I completely agree :)
Regards
Aflo (Adam)

firestorm40k
06-05-2007, 19:58
Looking great so far, Malakian - I just know this will be excellent when it's finished! :) :cool:

Just what is it about Nurgle armies that bring out the Green Stuff freak in all of us? :evilgrin: ;)

Malakian
06-05-2007, 20:20
Looking great so far, Malakian - I just know this will be excellent when it's finished!

Just what is it about Nurgle armies that bring out the Green Stuff freak in all of us?

thanks alot

Well I dont know, Mayby becouse we all have been blessed by nurgle with "nurgly-sculpting-skillz-of-doom". I also think that what takes to start a nurgle army depends on just if you are chosen of nurgle or not. Most of the ppl hate nurgle becouse of all the filth, dirt, decay, plague, blood, gore, intensities etc. but Then theres twisted guys like me who LOVE IT! I found nurgle when I was like 10 years old. Thats kinda sick aint it :cool::evilgrin:

Braad
06-05-2007, 21:17

Same thing that popped in my mind :)
But this starts to look great! Keep it going...

mousekiller
07-05-2007, 00:30
What a great start. You seem to have quite the talent with scultping...

HiveTrygon
07-05-2007, 01:25
thanks alot

Well I dont know, Mayby becouse we all have been blessed by nurgle with "nurgly-sculpting-skillz-of-doom". I also think that what takes to start a nurgle army depends on just if you are chosen of nurgle or not. Most of the ppl hate nurgle becouse of all the filth, dirt, decay, plague, blood, gore, intensities etc. but Then theres twisted guys like me who LOVE IT! I found nurgle when I was like 10 years old. Thats kinda sick aint it :cool::evilgrin:

You know I was the same way and to add to this I think Nurgle tends to be one of the neglected chaos armies for variations. You have to be A) either a super painter to make regular warriors look nurglish, or B) a great modeler/sculptor to make you conversions rotten and such. I started my sculpting with Nurgle as it was my first army then got better and started doing my own things.

I wanted to ask you, what is that bright geen looking clay? It's odd I thought it was some form of playdough. I can't wait to see more.

Malakian
07-05-2007, 08:27
The clay is known as FIMO. It's Polymer clay which needs to be hardened in the owen like normal clay. It doesnt dry by it self. Its cheaper than any other modelling clay and It has the best abilities of GS and milliput (Its like GS when its wet, and turns to milliputlike when its dry). Its not as flexible as GS but works well as a structure for your minis. One packet of that stuff costs 2.30 euros
http://www.profibasteln.de/bastelshop/produktbilder/21504144205fimo_soft_8020_400x270px.jpg

It is sold in different colors I just happend to choose green and brown :)

Fimo is really popular, most of the professional sculptors use it, atleast some of them. As you seem to be a sculptor too I would recommend to use it. You will save some serious money with that. Some ppl sculpt whole minis from this thing, propably becouse it works very well with high temperatures (which gs doesnt) without breaking it. Very handy when you are making molds.

B)modeler/sculptor
Yup, I belong to this catergory, not much of a painter my self. But well done conversion and idea makes not-so-well painted minis better. Its my plan to improve my army becouse my painting skills doesnt :p

Tyra_Nid
07-05-2007, 08:57
Wow. Your sculpting is... fantastic. You truly are blessed by Papa!

Ninners
07-05-2007, 09:15

I thought the same thing, oh dear some idiots making a giant green and brown splodge!

Great work, the sculpting is incredible and it massive (which is always good for a greater demon).

Keep up the good work

Malakian
07-05-2007, 09:35
I forgot to tell you that all my sculpting tools are seen in the pics, except my hands.. A wooden stick, a modelling knife, a ballpoint pencil and my finger tips :D... yeah I really should buy some sculpting tools.

What do you think of the entrails? sHould there be more of them? Or is that enough. Should they be hanging on the ground?

Cpt_NinjaPants
07-05-2007, 10:16
Wow... Man, people flip out over ForgeWorlds sculpting, but it seems to me, there rather pathetic to half the people on the net...

Aflo
07-05-2007, 10:51
I'd say add some entrails, although I've never quite understood why inhumane beings of magic share the same organs with mankind :p

The Keeper of Secrets
07-05-2007, 14:02
Graaaagh. Noooo! Give me MOOOORE!!!

vampires are cool!
07-05-2007, 15:02
Looking good, can1t wait till you've finnished it. I hope you post a painting log on the beasty.

Malakian
07-05-2007, 16:41
Give me MOOOORE!!!

'ere you go:

I did some progress today..

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/IMAG0222.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/IMAG0221.jpg

lightning ate all the small wrinkels so only the deepest ones are shown.

Luthien
07-05-2007, 16:45
wow its soo fat :D
i like it :D

Arhalien
07-05-2007, 18:24
Looking great :D

Cromenon
07-05-2007, 18:43
wow, man, it's so cool.
i must recognize that when i saw the first picture i thought it was plasticine XD but when i saw what you were sculpting onto the fimo... that's nice :)

Aflo
07-05-2007, 18:44
It looks more awesome every time I see it :) How big is it compared to the Forgeworld one?
Regards
Aflo (Adam)

ZeroTwentythree
07-05-2007, 19:05
Nice. I think the smaller wrinkles came out in the photo, or at least I see some really subtle texture. Makes it look nice & stretched.

Along with a couple other people, I'd like to get a better idea of scale too. Any chance you can put some other figure(s) in one of your next photos?

I've also got to say that your very first pic made me think of Oogie Boogie.
http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID10017640.asp

Boss_Salvage
07-05-2007, 19:22
Ahhhhhhhhaha! I loved the glowy doughy blob of doom he started as, but your proper big papa is coming along very very nice all the same.

Seriously though - Madness!!

- Salvage

Malakian
07-05-2007, 20:03
This is SP...eh..NURGLE!

well actually I dont know how big the FW GUO is. Heres a pic which should give you a better idea of hi's scale (sry for the 40k minis, but I didnt have anything else at the moment I was taking the pics, and they are nurgly too :)). Hi's not too big, or too small, looks fine next to my other minis, and most important. He looks serious, a little bit too tough compared to his ingame statline, but hopefully I can lower my opponents moral with this guy :) " i-i-it's t-t-too b-b-big! I cant beat it!!! "

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/IMAG0223.jpg

crap! Im out of GS, tomorrow morning to the nearest modelling shop

The Keeper of Secrets
07-05-2007, 20:17
That's beautiful!

.......in a really gross sort of way.....

Malakian
07-05-2007, 21:05
forgot to thank you all for your commentary. so THANK YOU! :)

I had this crazy idea of plaguebearers bursting inside him.. Instead of spine. Any ideas?

pox
07-05-2007, 21:59
wow, impressive. I never would have thought to use fimo for armatures, I just use it for rivets right now. thanks for the tip!

the expression on his face is perfect. very, very nice sculpt.

The Dark One
07-05-2007, 22:15
all i can really think of one word to say WOW

Malakian
07-05-2007, 22:18
wow, impressive. I never would have thought to use fimo for armatures, I just use it for rivets right now. thanks for the tip!

the expression on his face is perfect. very, very nice sculpt.
Thank you, It's always nice to hear positive commentary from a fellow "home-sculptor". oh.. you are welcome :)

Man this guy is getting expensive: 3 packets of fimo, 1 packet of Gs and ran out of it. Now need to buy more. Thats like 12 euros + even more. I hope I dont need to spend more than 20 euros to this guy.

A problem occured. I need to get this guy fit on a 60mm base. HIS TOO FAT FOR IT!!! What do you think, If I land him to a oversizes base does it effect my capabilities to use him in tournaments. Is he legal?

HiveTrygon
07-05-2007, 22:19
Man that's so nice, the fat looks like fat should, good weight and hang to it. The entrails, more for sure, can't have too many. I'd stick to a spine but you should sculpt a plaguebearer say as a weapon bearer. Imagine a plaguebearer walking next to him holding or carying his huge flail/mace/sword. That would be the coolest thing ever!

I do use fimo here and there, trying to learn to sculpt minis with it. It works fantastic but I have a terrible time making thin pieces or layers over wire. It does not stick very well at all, moves around to much. I can't even imagine what it takes to get it to stick to wire?

Malakian
07-05-2007, 23:04
Man that's so nice, the fat looks like fat should, good weight and hang to it. The entrails, more for sure, can't have too many. I'd stick to a spine but you should sculpt a plaguebearer say as a weapon bearer. Imagine a plaguebearer walking next to him holding or carying his huge flail/mace/sword. That would be the coolest thing ever!

I do use fimo here and there, trying to learn to sculpt minis with it. It works fantastic but I have a terrible time making thin pieces or layers over wire. It does not stick very well at all, moves around to much. I can't even imagine what it takes to get it to stick to wire?

That plaguebearer idea is really nice! But I think I dont want to have my GUO just waving his left arm for goodbye to his enemies :D. A spine is a really easy choise, and doesnt need too much time to sculpt. hmmm, need to ponder that for a moment.

Yup thats fimos worst problem. It doesnt stick to anything else than itself. I havnt made any wire armatures with fimocovering becouse of that. my GUO didnt have any wire. Not even the arms, Fimo is great becouse it really keeps its form when its wet. But I did him in two sessions. First the main ball. Then fats.

I think you should just wrap the fimo around the wire skeleton and throw it into the owen, And dont care about how does it stick to the wire skeleton. Theres one problem tough. Fimo starts to crack and break when you warm it up too many times, but I dont know how many times you are allowed to. When cracking happens, you should halv the temperature and double the time.

cheers.

MF3000
07-05-2007, 23:50
That is a disgustingly beautiful miniature! I can already see your opponents just avoiding it...or pummeling it with their big guns (or tears of dispair).

Great psychologically imposing piece!! lol

sj

mistahsmoovelegs
08-05-2007, 00:51
so did you make the armature out of play doh? just kidding, it looks like brown stuff. This looks awesome.

HiveTrygon
08-05-2007, 02:07
That plaguebearer idea is really nice! But I think I dont want to have my GUO just waving his left arm for goodbye to his enemies :D. A spine is a really easy choise, and doesnt need too much time to sculpt. hmmm, need to ponder that for a moment.

Yup thats fimos worst problem. It doesnt stick to anything else than itself. I havnt made any wire armatures with fimocovering becouse of that. my GUO didnt have any wire. Not even the arms, Fimo is great becouse it really keeps its form when its wet. But I did him in two sessions. First the main ball. Then fats.

I think you should just wrap the fimo around the wire skeleton and throw it into the owen, And dont care about how does it stick to the wire skeleton. Theres one problem tough. Fimo starts to crack and break when you warm it up too many times, but I dont know how many times you are allowed to. When cracking happens, you should halv the temperature and double the time.

cheers.

Cool, thanks for the fimo info. I never tried to make a thin layer and sculpt on it. I tried green stuff as an armature. I'll try out you idea and let you know hoe it worked.

As for the waving hand, maybe he could be pointing, or clutching a nurgling in his hand that he will eat.

natedogg710
08-05-2007, 03:28
Wow, that's beautiful. If I saw that painted, I probably would have mistaken it for the Forgeworld one. Great job and I can't wait to see it finished.

Vattendroppe
08-05-2007, 07:24
Looking very nice! Then I first saw the base modelling I went like "noes", then with great enlightment I looked at the other pictures and were astonished. Hope you will keep that modelling up with some really nice painting :)

Ironspy
08-05-2007, 08:10
Please paint him red like the cool-aid man. OH YEAAAHHHH!

Warwolt the skaven
08-05-2007, 08:44
just put him on one of those big ass monster cliff bases that are so high people can go next to the stone and still rank up! wooh!

crazywhiteboydance
08-05-2007, 08:46
words....cannot describe...(weeps a little)....soooo pretty!

OrlyggJafnakol
08-05-2007, 09:35
Great work. I enjoyed reading your thread about that dreadnaught you used for scale. How do you intend to do the arms?

Braad
08-05-2007, 09:54
A problem occured. I need to get this guy fit on a 60mm base. HIS TOO FAT FOR IT!!! What do you think, If I land him to a oversizes base does it effect my capabilities to use him in tournaments. Is he legal?

Doesn't the great unclean one go on a 50 mm base?
Hmm, how big is it actually?
Cause if you could fit it on a 75 or 100 mm base, maybe what you could do is combine the idea someone had for a plaguebearer to one or two extra lines of plaguabearers alongside it on the same base to make up for the missing ones due to it being on a larger base. Maybe some smashed up ones underneath...

People also use regiment bases to place 4 models on the same base, so why wouldn't you be allowed to do it like this...

sanctusmortis
08-05-2007, 10:59
Could you, perhaps, have him on a palanquin borne by Plaguebearers? I believe one of the old models for it used to be.

Just be sure to make it look like they're struggling...

Warwolt the skaven
08-05-2007, 23:40
Yeah, perhaps you should make a smaller one? Just when you get to the moment when he gets smashed down to bits or?... never mnd. The palanquin idea is good :)

sir.spamalot
09-05-2007, 01:40
Awesome! That is the grossest excuse for a model I have ever seen(in a good way:)) I especially like the ripples of fat....

mistahsmoovelegs
09-05-2007, 02:11
put him on a flying stand on a 60mm base, like he's hovering above his troops.

Harry
09-05-2007, 07:49

More importantly it will affect your capabilities to win a Golden demon with him. This is a great sculpt.

Could you, perhaps, have him on a palanquin borne by Plaguebearers? I believe one of the old models for it used to be.

Just be sure to make it look like they're struggling...

This is a nice idea. It actually used to be a character carried on a palanquin by nurglings but the idea scales up nicely. The Current Plaguebearers have fairly 'bowed' legs already. They could easily look like as if they are struggling under his great wieght.

Alternatively you cound just stick him on the normal size base and let his rolls of fat ooze over the base and on to the table so the base was all but obscured. Legal for a demon and amusing on the table as troops would have to rank up against is rolls of fat.

Just one suggestion rather than waving (difficult to achieve the effect with a static model just looks like he is holding something invisible or casting a spell). Every time I have looked at this guy...especially with the facial expression you have given him (which I love) I see him handing someone a flower. Do you think you could sculpt him with a wilted/dying rose. A gift from father Nurgle. Just one of the many gifts he will bestow on you.

Aflo
09-05-2007, 08:16
Just one suggestion rather than waving (difficult to achieve the effect with a static model just looks like he is holding something invisible or casting a spell). Every time I have looked at this guy...especially with the facial expression you have given him (which I love) I see him handing someone a flower. Do you think you could sculpt him with a wilted/dying rose. A gift from father Nurgle. Just one of the many gifts he will bestow on you.

I like that idea alot although the amount of plaugebearers you would have to buy (or even sculpt) would cost quite a sum; especially on top of all the other material costs. You could probably just have nurglings 'carrying' it - two tiers of scrambling nurglings would look great and wouldn't be 'too' difficult to sculpt.
Regards
Aflo (Adam)

sir.spamalot
09-05-2007, 14:05
I like the rose idea, but I think your going for a sword right? *looks at malakian*

cheers, keep up the great work

Warwolt the skaven
09-05-2007, 17:58
cant you have him "sitting" on a horde of nurglings? Would look awesome! And I really like the "hovering buddah" idea too :D And if you don't like it because it might be too tzeench perhaps having him floating byt corrupting the ground under him?

Boss_Salvage
09-05-2007, 18:48
... perhaps having him floating byt corrupting the ground under him?

"Gaseous Propulsion" :angel:

- Salvage

Aflo
09-05-2007, 18:53
"Gaseous Propulsion" :angel:

- Salvage

Haha! I was just reminded of the old Realm of Chaos attribute, 'uncontollable flatulence' :p

sanctusmortis
09-05-2007, 18:58
You could do it as a Chaos blasphemous version of the Slann mage priest, a floating throne with little Nurgling sat on the arm.

Malakian
09-05-2007, 20:51
More importantly it will affect your capabilities to win a Golden demon with him. This is a great sculpt.

Do you think you could sculpt him with a wilted/dying rose.

OMG! I couldnt even think about golden demon. It seems very distant thing to achieve. And I bet theres a lot more better sculpts than this one, especially the french ones. Lets check again after a few years when my sculpting skills have more potential.

I like that rose idea, its really artistic, but...

I like the rose idea, but I think your going for a sword right? *looks at malakian*

...I want my GUO to smash people with his huge weapon, wether it be mace,flail or sword.

a floating throne

Best thing suggestion this far. As you can see I have sculpted him already in a sitting pose. The GUO looks so fat that he cant move a muscle except his weapon arm up and down. But I need to think about this, Mainly I want my GUO to fit my army's style.

Now Im totally out of greenstuff.

Heres a small update. His back has got some skin.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/guo1.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/guo12.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/guo123.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/guo1234.jpg

enjoy

Warwolt the skaven
09-05-2007, 22:03
aaargh! You so make me wanna sculpt :D

SevenSins
09-05-2007, 22:57
enjoy

Oh I am doing that :)
Very nice sculpting here, will keep an eye on your progress. How much time does it take, with such detailed sculpts? (I have a severe lack of patience myself unfortunately)

kaimarion
09-05-2007, 23:41
That great unclean one is the ugliest thing I've ever seen...and I mean that In a good way...mate if youve got a second one Im very very interested.
Makes you wanna scratch build one and by the way keep up the AWSOME work our god is very pleased at your work.
Nurg leth

sir.spamalot
10-05-2007, 00:21
Wait, your making resin casts of that right :)

Looking excellent, It is a really really good great unclean one.

cheers

Imp of High Noon
10-05-2007, 05:09
He reminds me of the more cheerful looking old model, I likey.

Malakian
10-05-2007, 08:23
How much time does it take, with such detailed sculpts?

I have used about 4 hours to this guy, I havent kept any track of time so it may be less than 4h or a a bit more.

mate if youve got a second one Im very very interested.

Not at the moment. I have been thinking of starting my own little "company" for comission works and mayby start casting some of my minis, on my spare time. Before that I need to arrange many things like how to make high quality molds and stuff. I dont have any experience on that kind of things, So thats far in the future. Unless someone who nows about casting comes and tells me how to do it and where to get the stuff.

Wait, your making resin casts of that right :)

Propably not, This fella is MINE! :D. That sculpt has some problems when it comes to casting. It has too many mechanical locks. I'll make a second one with plenty of planning and pondering, mayby start casting them. again in far future.

OrlyggJafnakol
10-05-2007, 08:41
When are we going to recieve another visual update? I am looking forward to checking out your progress!

Don't leave us waiting!

Malakian
10-05-2007, 09:22
Unfortunately, I ran out of GS and I get more of it on next week. So more updates on next week... To not to let you waiting I'll start cutting some plasticard for the swords prototype, so yhen you can tell me what you think. This week will be just plasticard cutting.

Warwolt the skaven
10-05-2007, 10:41
sweet! IŽd love to see some metal :D

NightLord
13-05-2007, 03:16
Wha??? How???

*cry*

EDIT: ******* amazing!

Malakian
14-05-2007, 21:05
announcement! This project isn't dead.. Im waiting my post order which I did like 5 days ago...MAN ITS TAKING SO LONG, I want my greenstuff...NOW.. just wanted to announce that Im still working on my GUO.

Aflo
14-05-2007, 21:39
Don't worry mate, we'll all just be even more awed when the wait is over ;) On a side note, Games-Workshop's postal service always takes forever for me as I believe it has for many other people too. Type in 'kneadite' into an ebay search and there's atleast one online company that sells it by the inch. It's cheaper than gw too.

HiveTrygon
15-05-2007, 00:56
I agree, you even got me wanting to make one for my 40K army. I'm even wanting to do a fantasy chaos army.

Ornithoticus
25-05-2007, 13:04
looking really good, dont let this fizzle out and die!

75hastings69
25-05-2007, 14:02
Mate this looks so sweet!!!! Do me one favour though, please, please, please arm him with a large rusted scythe!

Sgt_Hudson
25-05-2007, 14:14
That is looking SWEET dude

Rikka Rakka
25-05-2007, 22:23
Amazing. What more can anybody say? What are you using to sculpt that?

wildkarrde0
25-05-2007, 23:00
one word nice!

Sylass
26-05-2007, 07:32
Absolutely amazing. Like many others I saw the first pictures of this bright green/brown blob and thought something along the lines "better watch this thread, this might get ugly"...then I scrolled down. :eek:

That said, I'm still watching the thread, but no longer because of the reason stated above. ;)

Great work, can't wait to see the next batch of pictures.

Cpt_NinjaPants
26-05-2007, 13:13
God damn, this is AMAZING! I can't wait for it to be finished, little lone painted!

Daemonslave
26-05-2007, 16:54
Love the sculpt so far, brilliant work (even though he looks a bit camp at the moment - it's the hand:p ).

Unfortunately, there is no way you would (legally) be allowed to sculpt the model since it would infringe GW's IP. You could try getting away with calling it a swamp monster or something but it does look very similar to the Forgeworld model, and you know how cranky GW can be.

More updates please!

Aelyn
26-05-2007, 17:59
Love the sculpt so far, brilliant work (even though he looks a bit camp at the moment - it's the hand:p ).

Unfortunately, there is no way you would (legally) be allowed to sculpt the model since it would infringe GW's IP. You could try getting away with calling it a swamp monster or something but it does look very similar to the Forgeworld model, and you know how cranky GW can be.

More updates please!
He's totally OK to sculpt the model.

What wouldn't be allowed would be to cast the model up and sell it as a Daemon of Nurgle or, for that matter, sell it at all as a model for use in Warhammer.

It's possible that simply calling it something like a "Bloated Gut Monster, perfect for a display piece" would be OK, but frankly the image is so close to GW's IP that it's highly unlikely.

Long story short: Scuplting is fine. Casting and selling is not.

Daemonslave
26-05-2007, 19:03
Sorry, casting is what I meant. My bad:(

Warwolt the skaven
26-05-2007, 20:37
He's totally OK to sculpt the model.

What wouldn't be allowed would be to cast the model up and sell it as a Daemon of Nurgle or, for that matter, sell it at all as a model for use in Warhammer.

It's possible that simply calling it something like a "Bloated Gut Monster, perfect for a display piece" would be OK, but frankly the image is so close to GW's IP that it's highly unlikely.

Long story short: Scuplting is fine. Casting and selling is not.

Theres nothing in there that resembles Games Workshop's model, only Forgeworld. And thats just sligthly, he can sell it if he wants. You know Blacktree designs? THey have no troubles at all, but dude. They are a complete rip-off from the old 5th edition skaven (the only ones ive looked at, for the moment) :rolleyes:
He's totally free to do this, its only if its completely off the art. Not inspired. Its not like GW haven't looted... no, RIPPED off any other people? Skaven for example, **** nut that its GWs own invention. Its from an old book I no longer remember the name for. :)

Imp of High Noon
27-05-2007, 06:04
Less Talky More Piccy!

HiveTrygon
27-05-2007, 14:22
Theres nothing in there that resembles Games Workshop's model, only Forgeworld. And thats just sligthly, he can sell it if he wants. You know Blacktree designs? THey have no troubles at all, but dude. They are a complete rip-off from the old 5th edition skaven (the only ones ive looked at, for the moment) :rolleyes:
He's totally free to do this, its only if its completely off the art. Not inspired. Its not like GW haven't looted... no, RIPPED off any other people? Skaven for example, **** nut that its GWs own invention. Its from an old book I no longer remember the name for. :)

Unfortunately that is not true. They will more than likely shut that down if they saw this model being sold because it is very close to drawing and art of theirs. IP means intellectual property, which covers a very broad range, very large range. I can be certain within 99% that they would go after him. You need to change it enough so there is something unique and different from theirs. I wanted to do a rotten undead daemon but was afraid GW would say it was based off their GUO, so I tried to make mine different enough they could not compare them. Here is my old daemon I might sell some day, it's the size of a current GUO just slightly smaller and I did end up changing the claw hand more and will have some alternate parts latter as well. I'd definately make one for sale if I were you, but add an alternate head and weapon options you can use to show the final painted product with. ;)
http://www.trollsforge.com/2fan/demons.html

Malakian
27-05-2007, 19:53
announcement... greenstuffs arrived :D YEY! now I will go to get my hands dirty ->>>>

Huckbuck
27-05-2007, 20:49
YAY! :D

Im hoping for a lot of progress ;)

Karnage
27-05-2007, 23:17
Just caught up with this, and it looks amazing. I was expecting to see a painting/assembly log of the Forge World one on first glance but to see a scratch-sculpted one is just too awesome for words. Looking forward to seeing it progress :D

J6mnik
28-05-2007, 08:04
Impressing sculpting. Keep it on.
What kind of weapon? Rusted scythe? Filthy sword?

Revlid
28-05-2007, 15:55
Very nice!
The pose and green stuff reminds me of Oogie Boogie. :D

Malakian
07-06-2007, 15:16
Quick update:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/IMAG0252.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/IMAG0251.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/iSalminen/2nd%20nurgle/IMAG0249.jpg

more pics if you want... -> back to sculpt

Harry
07-06-2007, 15:22
Go on ... just twist that reaching hand around and pop a withered rose in it. you know you want to. :D

Come on then what, big ass, weapon have you decided that hand is going to be resting on?

Great to see this project back on track. (its on of my faves).

Ornithoticus
07-06-2007, 15:23
that is amazing, it by far tops that other one that was on warseer a while ago

Arhalien
07-06-2007, 17:40
Great stuff, really, very good work :D

tzeentchgiant
07-06-2007, 17:50
I've been watching for the next update :D.

Superb work, I can't wait to see the weapon, I get the feeling it's going to be something pretty special :).

TG

P.S, the warseer awards are running again and they need your attention and support so check out the link in my sig.

Revlid
07-06-2007, 18:14
So camp... :cries:

Really nice looking. Can't wait to see the weapon.

sanctusmortis
07-06-2007, 21:30
Face reminds me of Oogie Boogie. In a good way.

leeoaks
07-06-2007, 22:16
i think he wants his hand kissed! hes awesome!

Nineswords
08-06-2007, 01:37
I'm with Leeoaks on the Hand Kissing. Or a big sword.

Warwolt the skaven
08-06-2007, 08:31
Give him BLING BLING!!

Harry
08-06-2007, 09:25
i think he wants his hand kissed! hes awesome!

Actually I like that idea even more than the rose.

Reposition the arm. (a bit lower).

Get yourself a mini of a pretty girl. (say the bretonnian sorceress). Quick resculpt so she is taking is hand to kiss it.

You can always give him a weapon after you win a Golden Demon.:D

Boss_Salvage
08-06-2007, 15:35
You can always give him a weapon after you win a Golden Demon.:D

A sorceress makes a fine club, at least for a few good hits. After that she usually starts breaking up, especially if her corset comes lose and stops keeping her in one piece :skull:

- Salvage

Aflo
08-06-2007, 18:40
A sorceress makes a fine club, at least for a few good hits. After that she usually starts breaking up, especially if her corset comes lose and stops keeping her in one piece :skull:

- Salvage

You do disturb me sometimes Salvage :p

Shuya
08-06-2007, 19:51
I think a cane would fit that hand perfectly, then a hat, and a cape,

Why else is he called papa nurgle?

sir.spamalot
08-06-2007, 20:05

Ah yes th pimpage has begone...that would be awesome, but if you don't want this to be goofy don't do it :p

cheers, the spam man

Malakian
08-06-2007, 20:51
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your..errr :eyebrows: ...ideas . Hat and stuff, oh my...
Well I think I will just stick to the plan. Give him a special weapon.:rolleyes:

Spider
08-06-2007, 23:51
Just want to add....bloody great.

I love his expression.

What sort of weapon are you thinking of...sword or maybe a big huge flail type thing?

Keep it up!

Edit: Just found the forgeworld GUO.

For the record......your sculpt > Forgeworlds sculp.

Seriously impressive work. Papa Nurgle's models shoul be foul and loathsome...and happy. Yours does this nicely.

Imp of High Noon
09-06-2007, 05:53
Actually a gnarly nurgly cane would really suit the model, not to mention be practical, he is a fat sob be sure!

Arch-Traitor Horus
09-06-2007, 08:59
I'm with Leeoaks on the Hand Kissing. Or a big sword.
I Agree But i want a HUGE SCYTHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks great so far:evilgrin:

sanctusmortis
09-06-2007, 09:59
A flail would definately look the best for the size, I think. Obviously, it has to have 3 skulls as the ends...

Nineswords
09-06-2007, 11:13

http://pub.tv2.no/img/0073/078973.jpg

More like Hank Von Helvete from Turbonegro (http://www.myspace.com/turbonegro).

Huw_Dawson
09-06-2007, 22:07
The solution is obvious!

Make a poll with all the ideas thus suggested. Then do the one that everyone likes the most.

I'm either for the Charlie Chaplin look or the Wilted Rose. Or a Flail with some sort of silly thing on the end of it... maybe a rock with the works SMITEY SMITEY! on it. xD

I mean, a Greater Deamon is almost as powerful as a Demi-God, so he needs a little smiting goodness sometimes...
- Huw

Aelyn
10-06-2007, 01:44
How about a massive bone with a hunk of festering meat at the end on the ground?

HiveTrygon
10-06-2007, 14:56
The easiest and best solution would be to use the handel of the flail as the prop for his hand, then coil the chains and weights around the bottom of the handel, done easy and simple. It would look fantastic as well.

However, I'd like to see his hand laying on the shoulder of a great Nurgle daemon prince who is standing facing the same direction, like he's talking to him hand on his shoulder with reassurance. "My son those weak fleshy mortals can't stand in the way of deacy, pick up you mace and smite them." :evilgrin:

Zodiac
10-06-2007, 20:38
However, I'd like to see his hand laying on the shoulder of a great Nurgle daemon prince who is standing facing the same direction, like he's talking to him hand on his shoulder with reassurance. "My son those weak fleshy mortals can't stand in the way of deacy, pick up you mace and smite them." :evilgrin:

This is a very good idea. I second it.

Warwolt the skaven
11-06-2007, 00:22
This is a very good idea. I second it.

QTF, I third it. :evilgrin:

HiveTrygon
22-06-2007, 00:28
Any progress, I'm eagerly awaiting your sculpt. ;)

Zodiac
22-06-2007, 12:55
Any progress, I'm eagerly awaiting your sculpt. ;)

Seconded big time,

And malakian?

When did you first realise that you had amazing sculpting talents?

Fingor
24-06-2007, 11:34
Fantastic job. Your dirtie is so... nurglish :)

imperial_communist
23-02-2008, 13:22
OMG its amazing how how you must ...... (seizure with awe)
ARRRRRRRRRRGH im crap at scupting and it looks realy alike give jim a big scythe go on you can do it!

baphomael
24-02-2008, 20:11
Ive just had a thought, for those who want the flower thing going on (which, I reckon, is an awesome idea). Perhaps have, like, a Nurgling or something brandishing a dead, wilting, flower toward him with both outstretched arms (in that over enthusiastic childlike way), the limp wrist thing would kinda look like the GUO was going "awww, shucks, you shouldnt have!"

In fact, stick it on a display base and stick a little plaque to the base saying that :p

lorcan
25-02-2008, 08:44
Your green stuff skills are amazing, keep up the good work.

Cheers
Lorcan

HaraldurTrausti
01-03-2008, 23:32
Is he smiling? :D He reminds me of that fat blob from Star wars! Joo Baa or something..
Anyway.. you've got talent! Great sculpting skills. Do keep us updated!

Mr Feral
02-03-2008, 13:19
Congratulations on such an impressive sculpt. This is one of those models so amazing that it makes me want to try doing one as well. One teeny little suggestion would be to add a tongue for him. Amazing, just amazing.

Malakian
02-03-2008, 20:56
omg.. ppl still interested of my work. And i posted last update like 6 months ago.

I have been working with my clan pestilence warband on these few days (cant get enough of nurgle).

GUO project is frozen atm. As my Nurgle 40k project. :S

I need to do some works for a school qualifying tests. Im trying to get to a college lvl school which "produces" 3D animators. I wonder if papa nurgle answers my calls. wish me luck!

Mewy
07-07-2008, 06:43
Wow! Talk about worth sorting through 10 pages of modeling threads to find this piece of work! IMHO this looks better than the FW model. How long have you been sculpting for?

DiddyKong
07-07-2008, 07:02
looks like oogie boogie crossed with jabba the hut.

filled with pus and slime.

and better.

alot better.

brilliant, in fact.

Kronos
08-07-2008, 01:09
Amazing absoloutley amazing, I'm actually liking it more than the FW one, of which i now feel ashamed of buying after you sculpted your own one, good job dude.

as for the empty hand, i think you should stay away from the big weapon and do something really different, like a scroll naming different poxes and diseases, obviously you can't see what it says but nurglle knows ;)

or too add some humour, how about some surgery ?, rotate the hand and place a little nurgling on it ?

HereticLosMorte
29-07-2008, 16:39
liking the sculpting of this GUO. makes me want to leave work and sculpt, haha

Elazar The Glorified
04-09-2008, 11:50
Wow, just looked through this PLOG, hard to believe you managed to go from the Slimer look-a-like base to this beastie. Absolutely amazing sculpting skills. Will be watching this thread for when you next get a chance to update!