PDA

View Full Version : Breathe! Breathe, dammit!

Kiro
05-08-2005, 21:22
Okay, this is a call out for help, from all you gorgeous guys and gals out there ;)
I need to know how I can improve my breathing.
Silly I know, but it's starting to become a real problem. Over the years my health has gradually gone down hill; now I'm usually out of breath when I simply walk up stairs. I was not physically active when I was a nipper. I'm not fat, I don't really drink a lot, and I only smoke around 10 cigarettes a day. Sure, I can give up smoking, but...where's the fun in that?
I mean, I see athletes doing their thing, and they can smoke without it impacting their health. Hell, my friends even call me Darth Mather (my surname) because they say I "rasp" when I breathe. So...is there some way to get around this, or am I doomed to shortness of breath? Isn't there some quick fix I can do to remedy this, or am I going to have to turn into a health freak?

Sylass
05-08-2005, 21:24
Stop smoking.

Maybe shocking, but it should be as easy as that. :)

Arnizipal
05-08-2005, 22:12
If you 'rasp' when you breathe you might have a light form of astma. Go see a doctor.
Alternativly, stop smoking and start jogging. That should get some volume into your lungs.

Cheesejoff
05-08-2005, 22:24
Smoking + Asthma = Potentially Lethal Combination. Stop smoking.

Gavmo
05-08-2005, 22:25
Woah! Dont quit smoking! The Aussie olympic athlete Jai Turema, who won a silver medal in Sydney in high jump, smokes like a chimeny! Look what he achieved! You can too!

Verergoca
05-08-2005, 22:57
Smoking + Asthma = Potentially Lethal Combination. Stop smoking.

Seconded, also, get a bit of condition, run around, go to the gym, whatever...

*realizes he should do some active things to*

:0)
05-08-2005, 22:59
Woah! Dont quit smoking!
Is there a reason not to?

Verergoca
05-08-2005, 23:01

Only argument I can think of is because of the money the government else wouldnt have to spend on your asphalt covered lungs...

Lord-Warlock
05-08-2005, 23:21
Woah! Dont quit smoking!

Gavmo, in some random country that could probably get you charged for attempted murder... :p

Seriously, if you have breathing problems, stop smoking. It'll save you money. It'll improve your health. It'll allow you to look down and smokers and think "poor buggers, paying to get killed".

That said, I'd take Arnizipal's advice and see a doctor, just in case you have asthma or something. In any case I'd rather take the advice of a trained doctor than a bunch of wannabe-medic Warseerites ;)

EVIL INC
05-08-2005, 23:32
I will jump on the stop smoking bandwagon. Mainly because people who are dear to me has died from lung cancer and others to reguler cancer and such things as schlerosis (spelled wrong I'm sure) of the liver due to her drinking.
Many people get short of breath.
Check on the asthma as that could be part of it.
How about allergies? There is a possibility that it could be something as simple as spores from mold or something of that nature. They have air purifiers that can help with that sort of thing.
Work on things that help increase your lung capacity. Jogging, some sports or even consciously take deeper breathes. That last could be hard to do but if you make concious efforts to do it on a reguler basis, it gets easier.

Crazy Harborc
06-08-2005, 01:40
Kiro.........Hey.........you are how old? You have a rasping when you breathe?? You only smoke 10 a day and you have lung problems aiready!!

Oh, the problem will stop if you keep smoking.........it's called dead.

Shuya
06-08-2005, 03:07
Two words, doctor.

Ive now decided that whenever I feel the sligtist bit off I'm going to the doctor. Because I watch 3 medical shows (er, scrubs, house) and most the killers I know the symptoms off O.O

arxhon
06-08-2005, 03:25

It keeps me from wanting to randomly stab ****?

I'm mostlly through that phase, finally, but some days....

Any way, quitting smoking really is the best thing you can doi for your health. Smoking is a cancer on everything in your life. Your health, your finances, everything.

/been there

Xinithorp
06-08-2005, 04:03
Dude, only 10 a day? Is that a smaller-than-average number in the cigarette smoking world? No wonder it's so *******' expensive...

There are successful athletes who smoke?
Wow.
They probably manage because they are athletes who train all the time. Their muscles are capable and their lung capacity is better than yours. Because they train all the *******' time.

But she'd probably have gotten gold if she wasn't a smoker...

So if you don't want to stop smoking, start excercising. A lot. Maybe you won't end up in a wheelchair pulling a tank of oxygen everywhere.
You're 21. You are a nipper. ;)

Good luck in your attempts!

Satan Dingo 420
06-08-2005, 04:11
Look, I smoke like I am on fire and wet. I love smoking. I'm smoking right now. I can still out run cops and I can still clear a 3 foot bong like I was taking a whiff of a summer breeze.

But if I weezed every time I went up a flight of stairs I'd quit smoking like Tom Cruise quit sanity. Go to a Fxxking doctor. Breathing ain't exactly a luxury pursuit.

Wiseman
06-08-2005, 09:32
I mean, I see athletes doing their thing, and they can smoke without it impacting their health.
it does impact their health, athletes that smoke never reach their potential

The boyz
06-08-2005, 09:46
Well I find skipping is very good for your cardiovascular(sp) system, and running. Where I live there are many fields which are quite steep and I have started running up and down them a thew times a day. So running and skipping really are the only things I could recconmend because I have tried them.

Quiting smoking aswell will help, I am trying to quit smoking right now. I do enjoy smoking and having a pint down the pub, but in the long term I know it will be better for me to stop now.

Gavmo
06-08-2005, 11:34
There are successful athletes who smoke?
Wow.
They probably manage because they are athletes who train all the time. Their muscles are capable and their lung capacity is better than yours. Because they train all the *******' time.

But she'd probably have gotten gold if she wasn't a smoker...

Lol. Jai Turema was a dude. And the reason he could perform so well is because he's an Aussie. We're all born good at sport. Its a racial thing. :evilgrin:

Adept
06-08-2005, 15:11
If you don't want to quit smoking, then dont. Unless you are a top level athlete, it wont impact your peak performance and if you keep it to a reasonable level (five a day is better than ten) it won't shorten your life too much. Hell, according to some medical journals the health benefits of owning a dog directly offset the detriments of smoking!

If you want to increase your lung capacity and CV system, swimming is your best bet. Its low impact, so it wont screw your knees, you can do it indoors in a heated pool so its easier to make yourself do it in the morning, its a high intensity workout so you will be burning heaps of energy and really making your body work, and it forces you to regulate your breathing which helps heaps.

Vaya
06-08-2005, 15:19
Hold on there. Not everybody handles sigarettes in the same way. It could very well be that you have a slight tendency to astma, and the smoking is bringing out the worse.

Another thing could be, that you simply breathe wrongly. As stupid as it sounds, there are a lot of people not able to breathe properly. Hyperventilation for instance is basically a breathing disorder. But it can also be that you breathe wrong in another fashion.

I suggest you visit your doctor and see what he/she has to say. You can guess at it yourself, but you probably have and afaik it didn't get you far. Good luck mate.

Kiro
06-08-2005, 15:25
Hmm, and I thought I said "don't say 'quit smoking'" :p
But seriously though, I do intend to quit smoking...but in the meantime I'm looking for a quick fix to get my breathing sorted out. Swimming and consciously taking bigger breaths seem to be good ideas: I like swimming, and the latter is..well, a no-brainer. Anything else? Keep 'em coming!

Vaya
06-08-2005, 15:48
I don't know how good you are at it, but have you ever tried singing lessons? It's THE place to get your breathing under control and to learn to breathe in different ways.

Kiro
06-08-2005, 19:39
I don't know how good you are at it, but have you ever tried singing lessons?

I am, in fact, absolutely atrocious at singing. I could make babies cry with my warbling... :o

bertcom1
06-08-2005, 20:52
This is going to sound a bit stupid, but there is a thing you can buy that is useful for training your breathing muscles. Its supposed to be for people doing heavy exercise and stuff, but it might just help you.

What these things do, is slightly restrict the passage of air. Its a bit like a scuba mouthpiece. You put it on and breathe through it. It is hard to get enough air at first so you have to breathe harder. This gives your chest and diaphragm a workout and increases your breathing ability, meaning that when you do exert yourself, you can still breathe freely and you recover faster from exertion.

Wear one of these things while actually doing exercise and youre breathing will eventually become much easier.

I cant remember what these things are called though. Any ideas?

Arnizipal
06-08-2005, 23:35
I am, in fact, absolutely atrocious at singing. I could make babies cry with my warbling... :o
Ever considered starting a Black Metal band? ;)

:0)
06-08-2005, 23:37

That or starting a generic boyband.

Kiro
06-08-2005, 23:51

Hey, that just might work out!

That breathing thingee-majig sounds like a good idea, any leads on the name?...

Freak Ona Leash
06-08-2005, 23:53
Hey, be in a Death Metal band. Anyone can be in those, just make guttural noises that could be cthought of as words if you had just downed three 16 ouncers at the nearest pub. ;)

Rabid Bunny 666
07-08-2005, 00:10
:D

as long as you don't go down the way of Soulfly, you're alright :D

i'm gonna start the breath holding one as i need to get fitter, so i'd try it out as well

bertcom1
07-08-2005, 23:43
That breathing thingee-majig sounds like a good idea, any leads on the name?...

Googling breath-training brings up two links, PowerLung and LungPower, but I think they are the same company. try www.powerlung.com

These devices were what I was talking about, dont know if they are available in the UK, but you could download some of the images off their site and print them off, and show them around your local health club or gym and ask if anyone there knows where to get them.

Good luck!