PDA

View Full Version : Delectable Torture question

Mordhorst
06-05-2007, 18:47
Hello! I've got two short questiona about the Slaanesh spell "Delectable Torture", which forces a character to strike at his own unit or shoot at a unit in sight if the hero is alone.
Can the spell force a treeman ancient to strangleroot a friendly unit? Can the spell force a hero to use the Hail of Doom arrow?

theunwantedbeing
06-05-2007, 19:02
Yep,thats how it works.

Festus
06-05-2007, 19:22
No, neither nor, as both are not missile weapons: The one is an ability, and the other one is an Enchanted Item IIRC.

FEstus

Mordhorst
06-05-2007, 19:26
Hmm, the obvious answer is of course "yes", but is it really that easy? My question stems from the fact that the HoD arrow is not a magic weapon but an enchanted item.
And the strangleroot attack is also not very accuratley defined, see the "Can a treeman S&S" topic.

Festus
06-05-2007, 19:27
Hi

As I said: The obvious answer is *no*, as the spell only allows you to shoot missile weapons.

Festus

theunwantedbeing
06-05-2007, 19:28
Hmmm....spose it doesnt quite work like that then.
Mainly due to the wording of the WE book......

As the Spell states "missle weapon"
and the hail of doom arrow is never considered a "missle weapon"
and the strangleroot is a "specialized shooting attack".

Shame really.

Mordhorst
06-05-2007, 19:45
Hi

As I said: The obvious answer is *no*, as the spell only allows you to shoot missile weapons.

Festus

If you had read the postings carefully you would have realized that there is no need to get snappy. I brought up the same argument as you did in an answer to theunwantedbeings post :rolleyes:

Festus
06-05-2007, 19:55
Hi

If you had read the postings carefully you would have realized that there is no need to get snappy. I brought up the same argument as you did in an answer to theunwantedbeings post :rolleyes:
Why do you think that I got *snappy*? :eyebrows:

I just restated my previous answer, and I don't deem this particular thread too important to become *snappy*

Calm down, mate...

Festus

Mordhorst
06-05-2007, 20:21
Hi

Why do you think that I got *snappy*? :eyebrows:

The way you restated your answer could be called that way.

I just restated my previous answer, and I don't deem this particular thread too important to become *snappy*

Well, I thank you for your contribution nonetheless.

Festus
06-05-2007, 20:24
Hi

No problem, and I hope no harm done. :)

Festus

Atrahasis
06-05-2007, 20:28
If strangleroot is not a weapon does that mean it cannot harm ethereals?

theunwantedbeing
06-05-2007, 20:30
The treeman is a forest spirit,therefore all attacks(including ranged attacks) are magical.
So strangleroot can hurt ethereals as its magical.

Atrahasis
06-05-2007, 20:31
The treeman is a forest spirit,therefore all attacks(including ranged attacks) are magical.
So strangleroot can hurt ethereals as its magical.

I didn't ask whether it was magical...

theunwantedbeing
06-05-2007, 20:35
okay.......
That time of the month eh atrahasis?

Atrahasis
06-05-2007, 20:47
okay.......
That time of the month eh atrahasis?

No, you just didn't answer my question, and you still haven't :)

Mordhorst
06-05-2007, 20:57
Hi

No problem, and I hope no harm done. :)

Fine, no worries :)

Follow-up question: Would a Woodelf hero with magical arrows (like arcane bodkins) be able to choose NOT to use them when he is affected by Delectable Torture?

theunwantedbeing
06-05-2007, 21:24
If the wood elf has magical arrows then you get to use them.

Mordhorst
06-05-2007, 21:58
If the wood elf has magical arrows then you get to use them.

And there is the point where my confusion lies. Why wouldn't he use the HoD if he has it? It is defined as a "magical arrow", just like the others. Just because it is "one use only" shouldn't make it different from the other magical arrows.

So either the wood elf is free to use mundane arrows even he he has magical ones, or he is not.

Comments?

theunwantedbeing
06-05-2007, 22:04
Well you get to choose what weapon the guy uses in close combat when affected by the spell.
So you get to choose what ranged weapon he uses(if he gets a choice).

I dont see why there's any confusion,its in an FAQ somewhere.....

potemkin
06-05-2007, 22:12
The Chaos player can only choose the missile weapon* to be used. An arrow is not a missile weapon*

* missile weapons is defined on page 57 in the rulebook

Festus
07-05-2007, 06:37
Hi

Correct, potemkin.

If it is a Magic Weapon - and thus a missile weapon, he will use it, if it is an Enchanted Item, he will not.

Festus

Atrahasis
07-05-2007, 11:52
If strangleroot is not a weapon does that mean it cannot harm ethereals?

Any response to this Festus old chum? :)

Festus
07-05-2007, 12:52
You don't really want to have my answer to this, do you? ;)

I try to keep as silent as possible in the other thread about Ethereals, and I do so on purpose...

...but if you really want to know: As the nature of the attack is magical, I'd let it harm Ethereals... :)

Festus

potemkin
07-05-2007, 12:58
IMO the ethereals rule is (another) badly written rule, and the intent was "magical attacks" and not only weapons.

lparigi34
07-05-2007, 13:03
Deleted...