PDA

View Full Version : That pesky green knight

Falcon
07-05-2007, 07:37
Hi all,

My brother loves playing the Brets and expecially the green knight. My two other armies are Wood Elves and Lizzies and up to now I've had no answer for this green menace. Inevetably he spawns in the middle of my scout unit, wipes them out in a turn and then charges into whatever else is close by and just hacks it to bits. He seems rather good value for his points value.

Am I missing something or is he as good as this?
Any good tips to counter him?

Thanks,

Brother xavier
07-05-2007, 07:47
He's as good as that, try to get your hands on the bret book, I think he looses a wounds if he looses combat.

Dralafi
07-05-2007, 07:56
Best advice of the top of my head is, get dryads and have him duke it out with them, they can at least hurt him.

For lizzies, take a toad or some skink shamans and blast him with magic. Not really sure what else to do with lizards.

Last resort is to get heroes and lords with magic weapons and hunt him down, time and time again until he doesn't respawn.

Voltaire
07-05-2007, 10:00
Slann Mage Priests tend to kill...everything.

PMTN
07-05-2007, 10:16
lizzys - try a jaguar charm scarveta/oldblood with a magical weapon or the old flying skink should work out so you can get to each combat fairly quickly with the Green one.

vampires are cool!
07-05-2007, 11:58
A stegadon Charge will sort most promblems out. As he coujts as undead, just outnumber him in combat. He'll fall soon enough.

Alathir
07-05-2007, 12:14
stegadon wont do much as he is etheral... my green knight took one down rather quickly.

Yeah, an old blood with the jaguar charm and that combo where he ignores armour saves... it will tear him to pieces... as i learnt the hard way!

Falcon
07-05-2007, 12:31
Yeah, an old blood with the jaguar charm and that combo where he ignores armour saves... it will tear him to pieces... as i learnt the hard way!

That aught to do the trick. It is expensive though but I guess it will be usefull against the rest of the brets as well :evilgrin:

Any advice when I'm playing wood elves?

kroq'gar
07-05-2007, 12:42
lizardmen can take bretonnians sweet easy... Alathir learnt that the hard way...

Take a unit of saurus cavalry, new plastics make it easier. Then give them the belssed standard. march them to within 1 inch of a betonnian lancehead flank, then magically charge it. As its not a spell, it cant be stopped. Throw a hero in there with +2 attacks blade and mark of sotek... 7st 5 attacks plus the unit cant be wrong.

and a movement 9 saurus oldblood DOES eat the green knight. 6 st 6 no armour saves allowed attacks on the charge, 2+ armour, 360 charge and sight, d3 rerolls.

wait.... i'll edit it for woodelves as well.

take salamanders- auto hits kill them something cronic. Also try a Stegadon, as they only have relatively small shooting (no empire great cannons) it can run around to its hearts content.

this will sound odd... but big blocks of saurus behind a screen also work. Give plus 1 armour spawing, and march fowards. Just leave no blind spots for them to exploit. present a solid frontage with flankers (that steg and salis).

or alternatively just take a slann.

Falcon
07-05-2007, 12:56
lizardmen can take bretonnians sweet easy... Alathir learnt that the hard way...

Thanks for the tips kroq'gar :)

You misunderstood my comment about the Welvises though: I meant advice when I need to play WITH the Wood Elves AGAINST the Green knight and Brets :D

kroq'gar
07-05-2007, 13:05
I blame the elf and his lies.

all i can suggest is one of two options first. Hale of doom.

Second, alter kindered with the ulti magic weapon... trust to luck.

or... the serious third option. wardancer with the magic blades, killing blow him, as you are now magical.

Alathir
07-05-2007, 13:10
Yeah, Kroq Gar has the right idea... that wardancer with the blades of loec has a serious shot... give him the annoyance of netlings and challenge him and it's bye bye green knight.

Or alternatively.. a highborn with the alter kindred... great weapon, amber pendant, helm of the hunt and the annoyance of netlings is also good..

on the charge he has 6 strength 6 attacks and he always strikes first...

kroq'gar
07-05-2007, 13:14
yes... dont forget the green knight is ethereal, unit st 2 and causes terror... auto broken non magical elf hero.

you should know that by now...

...im ashamed of you.

Alathir
07-05-2007, 13:16
Oh geez! what a ***** I am.. completely forgot about that.

Okay, just give him the spite that makes all his attacks magical!

kroq'gar
07-05-2007, 13:19
mmm.... not so good.... that would lose the nettlings. better taking a magic blade with that instead of the helm.

theunwantedbeing
07-05-2007, 13:20
So long as you can get at him with something magical he doesnt live very long at all.
Just get the charge on him and down he goes....ignore armour spells work particularly well against him.

And each time you kill him he gets harder to respawn,and it can often take several turns for the opposing player to respawn him after he dies.

The lore of life is quite good for removing him once he respawns as he'll inevitably be right next to some terrain feature.

kroq'gar
07-05-2007, 13:25
the problem is that he is ethereal, with a 2+ armour, terror causing, and most irritating is blessed by the lady.

remember, that he wont stand idle and be hit, hes going to hurt, and the del blade burns like a ****.

druchii
07-05-2007, 15:15
Hi all,

My brother loves playing the Brets and expecially the green knight. My two other armies are Wood Elves and Lizzies and up to now I've had no answer for this green menace. Inevetably he spawns in the middle of my scout unit, wipes them out in a turn and then charges into whatever else is close by and just hacks it to bits. He seems rather good value for his points value.

Am I missing something or is he as good as this?
Any good tips to counter him?

Thanks,

I'm no expert with the woodie, but why not try a Wild Rider noble/highborne on an elven steed, with the annoyance of nettlings, and a magical weapon? Seems to be the end of the Gk right there. Getting hit on 6s while in a challenge, ignoring the ethereal goodness of the knight, AND hopefully causing wounds(I'm not exactly sure which magic weapons Wes have access to). Also, you could go for an Alter Kindred, with the nettlings, and (if they have it, i'm not sure, sorry)the "50 pt ignore armor saves" weapon.

d

ps. I'm at school, so I've got no access to books! Sorry.

Reinnon
07-05-2007, 15:47
try a treeman ancient with annoyance of netlings and challenge him.

he will be hitting on 6+ then and the treeman has enough high strength magical attacks to deal some real damage

Highborn
08-05-2007, 02:45
Bow of Loren
Arcane Bodkins
Alter Kindred

To me, this is a must for any Wood Elf facing Bretonnians. It means you have a Ld9 general, but let's face it - against Bretonnians, the only time you're taking leadership tests is when you're on the wrong end of a charge, and that one pip isn't going to make a difference if Bretonnian Knights have charged you.

5 shots that ignore armour. The only weakness is S3, meaning you're hitting on 2+, wounding on 5+ - one or two wounds a turn.

One last thing - I hope those scouts have the Banner of Zenith, or some other crafty plan attached ...

Falcon
08-05-2007, 04:43
Bow of Loren
Arcane Bodkins
Alter Kindred
5 shots that ignore armour. The only weakness is S3, meaning you're hitting on 2+, wounding on 5+ - one or two wounds a turn.

One last thing - I hope those scouts have the Banner of Zenith, or some other crafty plan attached ...

Thanks :) I don't know why I forgot about arcane bodkins, BoL and Alt Kind. That is a great combo against brets.

kroq'gar
08-05-2007, 09:10
it is, just be careful you dont get hit with any pegasus knights or targeted using the new rules against solo heros.

i still think a netling, blades of loec wardancer would do it.

one killing blow is all it will take, and being immune to phyc means terror wont make you blink.

Toby
08-05-2007, 09:51
with wood elves try to magic him to death.
A treeman or treekin would work as they can at least hurt him.
Wild riders of kurnous would preety much annihilate him.
Any forest spirits will do just mug him with lots of dyrads.