PDA

View Full Version : Wood elf army of stubbornness

Dooppie
06-08-2005, 07:52
Hi people,

I have the new wood elf book!
Now the idea of the army I gona make is the following:
Take a high born so Eternal Guard become Core
take 2 or 3 units of Eternal Guard + 1 or 2 treeman.
Now get 2 nobles and one of them is a battle standard bearer.
The rest of the army is your choise.
With this army you gain atleast 3 stuborn units and if near the battle standard bearer you can make those units almost unbreakable

The body gaurd rule says any high born/noble that's in the Eternal Guard unit the unit become stubborn...I beleave this body guard rule is better then the high elf one.
Could this army work?

btw: may a battle standard bearer join an Eternal Guard unit? (he may not have a Eternal Guard kindred)

Zeb
06-08-2005, 09:18
It doesn't say anything about that you have to have the Eternal Guard Kindred to be able to join the Etarnal Guard Unit.

And on a seccond note, but not a reliable one, the did it in the new WD Battle Rep. ;)

Xaviar
06-08-2005, 09:28
I've only had a quick glance over the book my self but from memory the nobles get very little in the way of armour. Thus it would be rather easy for a fighting unit to simply put all the attacks they are able to on him and kill him, therfore removing your stubborness. Because of this I don't think an all stubborn wood elf army would work.

Muffin Man
06-08-2005, 09:54
Interesting idea, nobles can have decent magic protection can't they? If not they could tool up for the challenge and issues challenges to either isolate themselves against an outmatched character (ideally) or get rid of character and leaving them with rnf attacks (I would think only 3 models can target the noble at most) to deal with.

I plan to pick up the army book soon, and I like what I'm seeing so far. I especially love just how varied people are trying to make the WE's, hopefully most (well all, but that'd be naive of me) of these variants are viable. Nothing better than an army that can be anything you want it to be =].

Zeb
06-08-2005, 10:51
Actually there is a potentially 9 attacks from HE Spears and 12 from a possible DoW Pikemen (neither includes a possible champion).

Choosen Khorne Warriors with additional HW will give you 8 attacks to deal with. So it would be better to tool a BSB for a challange and hope that it will help out.
Then there is seven (IIRC) different ward saves avalible in the WE list...

Mazze
06-08-2005, 19:20
A nobel can have alot of really good protection....There are atleast two 3+ ward saves, and then there are items that makes everyone in base to base strike last, and we have some 4+ ward save, and then we have the always hit on 6 in a challange... =P

Crazy Harborc
06-08-2005, 20:14
The armybook writers did change the ol' tactics choices for the Woodies. Now, a army like the one mentioned just may win without 40 or 50 bowmen. Course, now there's all those flippen magic arrows.....wha' 3 or 4 of them I think??

Xavier
06-08-2005, 20:17
Hail of doom, Star fire, Hag Bane, Arcane Bodkins and Dragon tooth

Jericho
07-08-2005, 08:42
There's a weapon and an enchanted item to get -1 to hit for the enemy, a talisman to prevent any S bonus against the bearer, the Amber Pendant is awesome making enemies in BTB strike last, and there's tons of conditional ward saves (one use 2+ against the attack that reduces you to 1 wound, 3+ shadowfield, 3+ ward save versus mundane attacks, 4+ ward save versus magical close combat attacks, 5+ ward for the entire unit). There's regeneration armor as well, and you can get as good as a 3+ armor save on foot if you take the Helm of the Hunt.

Can't forget the Netlings either, great protection in a challenge.

If you have the points and don't mind sacrificing offensive power by avoiding magic weapons, then it's not too hard to protect your characters.

Re: the army list, I don't know how viable it is. Assuming you took well equipped characters, ~20 strong units of Eternal Guard with full command, and those 2 Treemen, then you'd be damn near 2000 points already. Your army would be very tough to break in combat, but has three longbows for shooting and ZERO presence in the magic phase. Huge weaknesses to be exploited.

sulla
08-08-2005, 09:02
Interesting idea, nobles can have decent magic protection can't they? If not they could tool up for the challenge and issues challenges to either isolate themselves against an outmatched character (ideally) or get rid of character and leaving them with rnf attacks (I would think only 3 models can target the noble at most) to deal with.

Or for an evil trick, you could face your eternal guard units towards your own table edge (with the rear of the unit facing the enemy). They still get2 attacks per elf, are still stubborn and the noble will hardly ever get challenged because he won't be in combat... :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Everence
08-08-2005, 10:02
Eww, evil, sneaky and dispicable :P. I quite like the idea aswell.

Its just really nice that WE are a lot more versatile. Before it was unheard of to take a WE Lord and you would just take the Mage Lord. Now there are many reasons to take the Highborn over the Spellweaver.

Crazy Harborc
09-08-2005, 01:21
At this time, it looks like my first Woodies army with be hitting the field without bound spells or a wiz/mage/etc. My opponent will be doing the same. Neither of us care for a magic phase mucking up our playing time.

Malachi
09-08-2005, 04:40
Neither of us care for a magic phase mucking up our playing time.

Then I'd count myself very lucky if I were you Harborc, magic is one of the new WE's greatest weaknesses, what with all our expensive and squishy units. This stubborn army is actually one of the lists most resistant to that weakness though, what with it's lack of Wild Riders, Wardancers and Waywatchers, and reliance on relatively cheap Eternal Guard.