PDA

View Full Version : Fast Cav Charge at Organ Gun Next to Thunderers

Briohmar
08-05-2007, 00:40
OK, I had a ruling in a tournament game last Sunday which in essence cost me the game, or at least a significant portion of the game. The Dwarf player had two bolt throwers and his thunderers lined up next to each other on a hill. There was a half (maybe three quarters) inch between the Bolt thrower and the thunderers, I declared a charge against the bolt thrower with my fast cav, which meant that the dwarves would have to step in front of the piece to defend it, effectively leaving my fast cav more than an inch away from the Thunderers, but the dwarf player insisted that his thunderers could stand and shoot at the charge because they would be drawn into the combat, which they would not, as my far left horseman was 15 inches from the far left dwarf, meaning I could maximise my contact, stay 1" away from the thunderers, and still successfully charge. The tournament staff, without even letting me prove the move would be successful allowed the stand and shoot, killing my horsemen, and thus allowing my spawn (also moving towards the bolt thrower) to be shot to pieces during the following dwarf turn. (Later on he claimed the bolt thrower had the rune of penetrating, or whatever its called, though he didn't pay the points for it, but that's a different issue.)

Having set the stage now, was the ref's ruling correct, or should I have at least been allowed to move my cavalry to prove I was right (My measurement was accurate, and all parties saw it)?

Vodevil
08-05-2007, 01:54
Hmm, I don't think they could stand and shoot since they weren't actually charged. I'm not looking at a rulebook or anything, but I thought that if another unit got drawn into combat it happened after the charge so a stand a shoot wouldn't be possible, like I said I'm not sure though.

Briohmar
08-05-2007, 03:11
I was pretty sure of that too, which is why I'm asking

Ninsaneja
08-05-2007, 04:14
Afaik you can't stand and shoot as a charge reaction unless a charge is declared against you, even if you'd be drawn into combat. Also, getting a S+S for nearby units is ridiculous unless they are an empire detachment. You were robbed.

WLBjork
08-05-2007, 04:30
Page 24, BRB. Shortened to the two pertinent sentences.

It may happen that a unit cannot charge it's intended target without simultaneously charging other enemy units.

In such awkward cases, a unit is allowed to charge all the enemy units involved, which can all declare their own charge reaction.

So it was perfectly legal.

Edit: Forgot about the positioning - in this case I would have moved the models first, and if the Thunderers were contacted allowed the S&S.

Vattendroppe
08-05-2007, 06:11
As Bjork said, it would be legal if it was a charge. Though I must say that I think it's a pity that the judge didn't even listen to what you had to say. Also, as Bjork said, I'd move the unit first, since then it would be quite obvious if your horsemen touched the thunderers or not. If they did, allow S&S, if the didn't, then don't.

Did they do what the other didn't didelido...