PDA

View Full Version : Interesting fact about Lore of Heavens

Briohmar
08-05-2007, 03:31
Hi, I have recently discovered a very unusual situation in rulebooks printed in different languages. While playing a game against a Lizardman player, he announced that he was casting spell number three, and then rolled his casting dice. I let the spell go, because I had no one in combat on that turn, so a 4+ ward save would have no effect on the game, only to discover his rulebook announced that he was about to wipe about my Furies. The French language version of the rulebook has the ward save and Forked lightning reversed. Has anybody noted any other discrepancies between language rulebooks? So heavens goes (Please bear in mind, I'm at work, and my rulebook is at home right now, so I don't have exact names at my disposal.) 1-reroll ones in combat, 2- D3 Rerolls, 3- Forked Lightning, 4- 4+ Ward Save, 5 Uranon's Thunder bolt, 6- Comet.

WLBjork
08-05-2007, 04:36
No, my rulebook has the spells as:

1: Portent of Far
2: Second Sign of Amul
3: Celestial Shield
4: Forked lightning
5: Uranon's Thunderbolt
6: Comet of Cassandora

Briohmar
08-05-2007, 04:39
Is your rulebook in French? That is exactly my point. Or it might just be the Skull pass rulebook, I haven't yet seen a full size French rulebook.

the French Version goes:

1: Portent of Far
2: Second Sign
3: Forked Lightning
4: Celestial Shield
5: Uranons Thunderbolt
6: Comet of Cassandora

T10
08-05-2007, 05:18
Bears keeping in mind.

-T10

Vattendroppe
08-05-2007, 06:06
That seems a bit odd. If there ever comes a rulebook in swedish (shich it won't, but anyway), I'll remember to still go with the english one.

Briohmar
08-05-2007, 08:10
I think Friday (gaming club night) I'll borrow my friends rule book and see if there's any other differences. I wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't happened to me in the course of a game.

untimention
08-05-2007, 08:28
ring up Games Workshop and ask them.. they will be able to tell you.

Tutore
08-05-2007, 12:25
Italian version seems also a bit odd. The list of the spells is the same as in the english version, but forked lightning is launched with a 6+, less than celestial shield (7+). Perhaps the original version was with the lightning at place 3 and celestial shield at place 4, then swapped position but not casting costs.

Aelyn
08-05-2007, 12:34
Italian version seems also a bit odd. The list of the spells is the same as in the english version, but forked lightning is launched with a 6+, less than celestial shield (7+). Perhaps the original version was with the lightning at place 3 and celestial shield at place 4, then swapped position but not casting costs.

That's correct, actually. The Lore of Heavens is the only Lore (that I'm aware of) for which a hugher-numbered spell costs less than a lower-numbered spell.

Personally I think it was for aesthetic reasons - the low three are buffs, the high three are blasts.

EvC
08-05-2007, 14:42
Do you think that your opponent did this on purpose knowing you'd think it would be the Ward Save spell rather than the lighning spell? It just seems really odd to announce "I'm gonna cast spell number three" rather than "forked lightning"...

Ganymede
08-05-2007, 15:06
I don't think he was actually cheating. It isn't like he could gain an advantage from it anyways. As soon as he announced that he was determining the number of hits, the other player would stop him and tell him he was mistaken and wanted to dispel.

Briohmar
09-05-2007, 00:26
Do you think that your opponent did this on purpose knowing you'd think it would be the Ward Save spell rather than the lighning spell? It just seems really odd to announce "I'm gonna cast spell number three" rather than "forked lightning"...

The problem is that my French isn't very good, so he said spell #3 (as I asked him to,) and then on. . . at which point I was opening my English rulebook so I'd know what was supposed to be happening, but not actively listening to the second part of his statement (partially my fault, but I didn't expect a discrepancy in the rulebooks.) He was not, in any way being underhanded, and we took a moment to discuss it openly, with the help of another club member who could translate what I didn't understand and vice versa. This is part of the fun of playing the game in a different country than your own.

Zonq
09-05-2007, 01:56
There's another difference between the French and English book, under the famous spell Pit of Shades.

In French it is written: "Place the template over an enemy unit" (Rough translation)
In English it is written: "Place the template over a single enemy unit"

My friend (who uses the French book) and I (who uses the English book) were arguing on this one because he wanted to place the template so that he was touching 2 warmachines (which is allowed by the French version but not in the English one).

Zonq

Briohmar
09-05-2007, 03:13
There's another difference between the French and English book, under the famous spell Pit of Shades.

In French it is written: "Place the template over an enemy unit" (Rough translation)
In English it is written: "Place the template over a single enemy unit"

My friend (who uses the French book) and I (who uses the English book) were arguing on this one because he wanted to place the template so that he was touching 2 warmachines (which is allowed by the French version but not in the English one).

Zonq

Ah oui, C'est Fracais, le lange d'amore. I guess we can't argue the translations, as things written in French are supposed to be more aesthetically pleasing, right? Sorry, it's now 5 am, and I've been at work for 4 hours now, and feeling a bit punchy. No that is interesting. I think that some things will not translate exactly, and I can accept that, but the blatant differences concern me.

EvC
09-05-2007, 08:34
The problem is that my French isn't very good, so he said spell #3 (as I asked him to,) and then on. . . at which point I was opening my English rulebook so I'd know what was supposed to be happening, but not actively listening to the second part of his statement (partially my fault, but I didn't expect a discrepancy in the rulebooks.) He was not, in any way being underhanded, and we took a moment to discuss it openly, with the help of another club member who could translate what I didn't understand and vice versa. This is part of the fun of playing the game in a different country than your own.

Ahh, thanks for explaining!

Dralafi
09-05-2007, 12:15
I've run into similar situations playing in Germany and the way we break it down is english rules first and anything else after that. Seeing as GW is a english company writting in english, one can only assume that english writting of the rulebooks (both 40k and fantasy) are the correct ones.

I know for a fact (not GW but old FASA and wizards of the coast to name a few) the germans translating english written books into german aren't too well versed in the language and put their own idea of what a rule should say, not what it does say, point in fact as Zonq pointed out about the different wording on pit of shades.

Briohmar
09-05-2007, 17:53
I never noticed any major differences except for the wording for the frenzy rule in German. The 6th edition rule for frenzy could give you the impression that a frenzied unit is unbreakable if it doesn't lose Frezy (Mark of Khorne and Banner of Rage) but a seond read, next to the english version, and the Khorne player agreed that it meant the unit could still be broken in combat as well.

I will let everyone know if I find any other glaring discrepancies on Friday.

huitzilopochtli
10-05-2007, 21:44
is it possible he was reading the old rulebook? in there the third spell is forked lightning.

??

Briohmar
10-05-2007, 23:11
is it possible he was reading the old rulebook? in there the third spell is forked lightning.

??

Nope, we were both on the same page of our respective BFSP rulebooks (livre des regles).