PDA

View Full Version : Biker Shoulderpads

Feor
08-05-2007, 13:49
This seems like as good a forum as any for this, feel free to move it if it's not:

What shoulder pad markings to space marine bikers wear? I'm just finishing up my first such warrior, and I get to his right shoulder pad and... dunno what to put there.

It seems kinda odd to give them the same pads as Assualt squads, but I've never really seen anything else that they might have.

So, any suggestions?

Calden
08-05-2007, 13:53
Two options depending on which company of a chapter they are from.

Regular bikers from the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th company's are formed from the assault squads of the company. (Same goes for Landspeeders) So have the assault squad markings.

However I think it's the 7th company that is capable of fielding an entire bike company. The 7th is a Tactical Company, so is made up 100% of tactical squads, they can however be deployed en-masse on bikes. So if you are using reserves from the 7th company (apropriate company colours/markings needed) then you would generally give them tactical squad shoulder markings.

Thats codex anyway, if you have a divergent chapter you can do what the heck you like :)

etham
08-05-2007, 15:03
if you are doing your own chapter I say do what you want. If you want a rule to follow look at the codex description already stated, white scars, or raven wing.

Gorbad Ironclaw
08-05-2007, 15:46
Ravenwing only have a number, and there special ravenwing left shoulderpad. As they are a special formation, giving them a specific type of unit marking is redundant, so they only feature a squad number.

HiveFleetEzekial
08-05-2007, 18:35
Besides, RW are 2nd Co., they don't need anything other than their RW symbol, except squad number.

You're thinking of 8th Co., calden. And in standard codex is completely an assault Co. 6th & 7th Co., in a standard codex army, have no bikers, and are completely tactical(squads).

"Safest" bet, feor, if you're not doing RW, just slap on an assault shoulder pad on their right side.

Gaebriel
08-05-2007, 18:48
Per Codex Astartes :

Assault designation for either being from your Battle company's Assault squads or reserves from the 8th company (Assault reserve company).

Or Tactical designation for being reserves from the 6th company (Tactical reserve company - may be fielded on bikes).

Feor
09-05-2007, 00:31
Hmm, I want them to have something different from my assault squads, since they're a totally different animal. (my bikes are most deffinetly fire support, not assualt)

What's the significance of the pads I've seen with just an arrow pointing front back? ( <==> like that)

Or possibly a diamond, like a pain of Devestator symbols put together. hmm...

BodhiTree
09-05-2007, 00:38
Hmm, I want them to have something different from my assault squads, since they're a totally different animal. (my bikes are most deffinetly fire support, not assualt)

What's the significance of the pads I've seen with just an arrow pointing front back? ( <==> like that)

Or possibly a diamond, like a pain of Devestator symbols put together. hmm... Those sound like the Dark Angel squad markings, which tend to be slightly different from the standard Codex ones.

lunacite
09-05-2007, 00:45
I'd use the old fast attack symbol with four arrows

Feor
09-05-2007, 02:50
Well, for the <==> symbol, it shows up in Codex Space Marine as a variation of the tactical Squad symbol, I was just wondering if there was any other background on it (Index Astares, how to paint space marines, etc) that I wasn't familiar with.

Gorbad Ironclaw
09-05-2007, 08:36
There is no background on it, it's just a tactical symbol. It doesn't mean anything special.

Calden
09-05-2007, 08:54
Ah, I thought I might get the company number wrong :) Knew it was one of the tactical companies that could be fielded entirely on bikes, but couldn't remember exactly which!

Cypher
10-05-2007, 05:25
Well, for the <==> symbol, it shows up in Codex Space Marine as a variation of the tactical Squad symbol, I was just wondering if there was any other background on it (Index Astares, how to paint space marines, etc) that I wasn't familiar with.

Different chapters use different markings to for squad designation - the ones shown in the codex are a few examples. While most people would stick to the given ones for establshed chapters, if you're doing your own (or just feeling creative) you can use whatever you like for squad markings.