PDA

View Full Version : Do squigs REALLY make a night goblin army

Twilight
08-05-2007, 20:14
ok im making a night goblin army and im trying not spend tones of moeny on it. im going for a in your face fast army. with no war machines (atm but im going to expand the list with some orcs and war machines after i have more money) but the question im trying to ask is a night goblin army without squigs to make up for the lack of war machines not worth fielding? and do i need to brake the budget and get squigs to make up for the lack of long rang?

thanks in advance
twilight out !!

p.s. if i finish this army it'll the first army i ever finished... im not very devoted to one army...

Da Black Gobbo
08-05-2007, 20:35
squigs, hoppers and herds are your goblin Elite force, they are cheap and nasty but they are rare choice so you can only get 3 unit in small games 1000-1999 points, anyways i will pay to see 3 units of 10 squig hoppers in a table some day it must be just crazy! Well hope it helps you.

Tutore
08-05-2007, 21:31
They are special choices. I have a mixed force of orcs and night goblins, where I didn't put any squig. If I would consider an army consisting of only night goblins, I would surely use both squig herds and hoppers.

Da GoBBo
08-05-2007, 22:13
is a night goblin army without squigs to make up for the lack of war machines not worth fielding? and do i need to brake the budget and get squigs to make up for the lack of long rang?

does this mean you will heave giants and trolls? otherwise it would mean night goblins only and it doesn't get more expensive than that.

But a night gobbo army should have squigs imo. Both units are good and will give more options than just giants and trolls as support.

MadJackMcJack
08-05-2007, 23:41
If you're going for just night gobbos, then hell yes. Otherwise, you'd just have night gobbos and a couple of trolls. Plus as Da Gobbo said, a pure night gobbo force is hella expensive, if only because of the sheer size. You're better off starting with a mixed orc/gobbo force and expanding your gobbo numbers later, otherwise you might run out of money before you get enough gobbos.

Plus painting 200+ gobbos can drive a man mad. MAD I TELLS YA! AHAHAHA! *drools*

Shimmergloom
08-05-2007, 23:49
You get 62 night gobbos including one that can be used as a squig hopper and a troll in every bfsp box set.

By the time you sell off the dwarfs and rulebook you have about half the money to buy another box set.

Night goblin core forces are not that expensive to buy anymore.

Squig hoppers are. Squigs though, you can buy them for $2.50 each as bits, so buying 18 of them is $45 and you should have an abundance of spare night goblins to be your herders.

Your only hope for cheap squig hoppers though is ebay or collect lots of the squig guy from skull pass from people that have him.

Da GoBBo
09-05-2007, 20:09
Yes, but no dwarf player in the right mind would take those dwarfs of your hands, ugly little stunties. And pointwise a nightgoblin is still more expensive than a squig.

Plus painting 200+ gobbos can drive a man mad. MAD I TELLS YA! AHAHAHA! *drools*

.... :D .. thanks man

Aelyn
09-05-2007, 20:33
The thing with Night Goblins is... they have excellent numbers and should always have the full +5 SCR, but they can't actually do any damage. This is the reason Fanatics and Squigs are so popular.

See, most people look at Squig Hoppers and see a stupid Night Goblin riding a huge Space Hopper. Yeah it has teeth, but how threatening can it be?

Then they bounce 14" straight though a wood into the flank of his knights, and suddenly he's facing 8 ws4 S5 attacks.

Point for point, I think Hoppers are probably the single most killy thing in the Night Goblin army - even above Fanatics, assuming of course you're only thinking about enemy casualties.

That said, at T3 without armour, they are difficult to use. Be prepared to put them straight into the middle of a wood on turn 1, simply because you can't afford to not get the charge with them.

Herds I'm less of a fan of. Again you need to get the charge with them, but it's a lot harder for a typical M4 footslogging unit. If you do, though, they can be devastating.