PDA

View Full Version : Orks - what to get next?

LightBulb4631
09-05-2007, 01:16
I started a ork army bout a month ago and i dont know what to get next. I have a Warboss, the Codex, 16 slugga boyz, and 16 grotz w/slaver. I have no idea what to get next. I was just thinking more boys so i can make skarboys, gitz, shootas, or even more sluggas, OR even get a trukk with that and get a trukk mob (ahhhh the possibilities). My other options would be to get some kommandos, fast vehicles, or some kans. I nees some help here so any tips are welcome.

Rhamag
09-05-2007, 01:29
I suggest getting another box of boyz, and 3 blisters of 'eavy weapons boyz. Then you've got 2 squads of 19, firing 3x big shootas and 3x rokkits. A couple of nobs would round it off nicely, but they work out cheaper in the 5 nob box set, unless you want all power klaws - then you'll need to order the bitz extra.

After that, I like kans and flash gitz with more dakka and many big shootas.

studderigdave
09-05-2007, 01:30
more boyz.

im a firm believer of large boyz squads. at least 20, with a nob with a PK and big horns.

get yourself some killa kans, and loot yourself a tank.

Warboss Grimmtoof
09-05-2007, 01:36
MOR BOYZ!! MOR GROTZ!! Grotz save lives, they really do. While I am here I want to ask a question. If I have a unit of grots that are getting saves from a KFF, and someone wants to shoot at a unit of boyz behind them, they test for closest squad ( I.E. the grots) and pass, and then go on to shoot. Well the grots get a cover save, so do I get a save on the grot who is shot instead of the ork? I mean think about it, the grot takes the wound, and he gets a save, soooo......:confused: Anyways, to answer your question I would never go to battle without at least 60 boyz (sluggas, shootas, skarz, whatever) and 30 grots. A basilisk is nice too...

One_Second_of_Insanity
09-05-2007, 01:37
Okay just a few things to get started:
1. Roughly how big do you want to start off at? 500, 1000, 1500pts?
2. What units do you like the look of/rules?

If you can let us know that info there are plenty of warbosses on here that would be willing to help you out

LightBulb4631
09-05-2007, 01:45
Well i like kans and kommados. I also like the Leman Russ and the Basilisk, so i have to pick one. I also like Slugga boyz.

Da Reddaneks
09-05-2007, 01:48
boys boys boys. when starting an ork army the best thing to buy is going to be boxes of boy. you cant go wrong there.

But generally i suggest to figure out your "style" of ork. What klan are you going to join? Do you want fast orks, shooty orks, footslogging orks, 'ard orks or something entirely different?

Orks are (and i am totally serious about this) about a lot more than simply slapping a bunch of boys on the table and going for it. Orks are hard to play but are the best army in the 40K universe!

cailus
09-05-2007, 01:48
I'd suggest more boyz, some special weapons and some Nobs. Even without powerklaws a Nob with a choppa and slugga provides 5 S4 Choppa attacks on the charge, potentially at I6.

LightBulb4631
09-05-2007, 02:45
Does anyone know where i can get single nobs? Not in mega armor. I would like some with wither a slugga and claw or a slugga and choppa

One_Second_of_Insanity
09-05-2007, 03:00
you can buy them in blisters, should be in most stores but i cant remember if there are 2 in the blister or 1 (shouldnt matter if there are two coz you can always do with more nobs)

Templar Ben
09-05-2007, 03:05
Do you guys run dreads? I made one for a friend's son but I have heard running Kans is better.

One_Second_of_Insanity
09-05-2007, 04:08
i run 2-3 kans more targets for your opponent and almost as killy for less points expenditure

fwacho
09-05-2007, 07:19
hmm.. where to begin...
lesson one. you must have some speed to survive.

1.I would suggest a unit of cyborks (will take tiem to convert form boyz box). make a unit of nine with a mad doc. use the extra models to bolster the size of your other mob. pop these models in a truck. viola a tough unit that can give even terminators or monsterous creatures fits. (put some tank busta bombs on the mad doc and you can take down tanks too.)

2. Tank bustas. seriously... these always get their points back if you are even a little bit smart. get full squad of ten and 3 ammo runts arm the nob with a rokkit launcha. (thus you have 4 portable lascannons)

3. Kans 3 of them. not 1 or 2, you want 3 or none. arm them with big shootas to annoy skimmers and make your opponent flinch.

4. Looted Leman Russ Battle Tank or Basalisk (depending on your personal style)

5. i you have the creativeness or pure finanaces... then 6 skorcha armed buggies will make your opponets wet their pants. Tau and IG in particular.

There's five suggestions for you... highest being tank bustas and cyborks. both can be converted with a little bit of effort.

Looizbam
09-05-2007, 07:29
Killa kans I would go for, they are awsome because they are cheap and still hard to kill, they wreck stuff in combat(and shooting) and your opponent will hate them if you use then correctly. And yes, take big shootas over the other weapons. And run three, always run three, also if one of them gets immobalised dont worry about it, move away from it and let it explode.

shabbadoo
09-05-2007, 08:28
Get two or three more boxes of boys. You will use them to make all types of units. Otherthan that, get some blisters of burnas boyz and heavy weapon boyz-rokkit launchas and big shootas, though you can make your own big shootas using two shootas for each one.

And bump that grot squad up to maximum size.

Budro
09-05-2007, 13:19
Don't bother buying heavy weapon blisters. Make your own from the basic boy.

Big Shoota: File the end smooth of a shoota. Cut the barrel off another shoota, file cut end smooth. Glue to other shoota. Add a sight to the end of the barrel. Add in a length of ammo to the magazine. Done.

Rokkit: Several ways of doing this. The simplest is to file/cut off the obvious gun parts of a shoota (ie the magazine, ejector port). Make a rokkit head out of green stuff, stick a small pin in the flat end - drill a hole in the end of the shoota, stick the pin in.

Personally I made my rokkits to look like shoulder fired RPGs - two styles here also. 1) get a bic pen top, cut off the closed end and the clip. Get a small round peice of sprue and glue it to one end to be used as a handle. The easiest way to get a rokkit is get a HK missle from an IG player, but you can always make your own out of GS. 2) I used plasticard to make a box shaped RPG launcher. Cut four small rectanguls, glued together, added the warhead part of a rokkit to one end (greenstuff), added a sprue handle, stuck it on top of a boy and done.

Burnas: these are a bit trickier but still very doable. Start with a shoota (the one with the barrel that has exhaust holes is the best), file off the magazine. Drill a small hole in the underneath of the end of the barrel, drill another in the end of the barrel. Take a small peice of wire (like part of a paper clip), insert it in the bottom hole, bend it up to come out in front of the end of the barrel (this reps the pilot light). Cut the top knot off an ork head, insert it into the end of the barrel. Paint it in reds and yellows.

Get a small gauge of wire that is plasticoated with red perferably though any color will do. Run it from the back of the shoota to a gas can strapped to the boyz back. Gas cans come with the trukk models. Or you can get really good ones from a Tamyia kit for WW2 stuff.

For now: buy around 3-4 boxes of boyz (that will give you a good start). More Grots (you'll want around 60 for 1750 points and up). KK - never take less then 3 at a time. Looted russ or demolisher is always fun. And always try to fit something fast into your list to screw with you opponent while bringing the boyz across the table.

Groksnag
09-05-2007, 13:38
the ork heavy weapons blisters are a waste (but they look cool). just about everyone knows how to convert a bigshoota (see above), but rokkits can be quite difficult to make.

@Budro: your rokkits sound a lot easier than mine, and sound cooler.

heres mine (usually works after making a bigshoota or two)

after converting a bigshoota, take the rest of the shoota handle and set it aside, find the shootas with the ammo string and cut off the barrels, two are needed. get another handle, glue them together to make a square thing, and glue the gun barrels on either side lengthwise. results will vary.

back to topic.

GET MORE BOYS! one can never have too many Orks.

ChaosTicket
09-05-2007, 14:24
Make sure you have 100-200boyz. You can easily convert them to anything from lootas to skarboyz. 'Ard Boyz are harded but some armor bits can easily change that.

Killer kans are better than ork dreds because the can have more guns and attacks than a dred, and destroying 3 of them is harder than 1 dred. Looted vehicle(basilisk or leman russ) become great artillery, and the leman russ can give a heavy armor and firepower unit to your army.

But I do not suggest you get nob units for your warboss. For 31+points per model, they are just too much.

Rokkit launchas are great for the army to make up for the ranged AT ability of most of the army.

sukigod
09-05-2007, 15:50
Lots of sounds advice here. My two cents include starting to add some heavies to you Force Organization Chart (FOC). Here's how I go about it.

I would start by adding a looted Russ or Basilisk. Both are good choices in my book. Decide on if you want to sit back and lob shells from the safety of a table edge or scare the emeny by charging a looted tank at 'em. When you've added this, add another troop selection. Sluggas/Shootas/Grots. Then look at a different non-troop selection.

This way every other slot fill is a standard troop selection. And you can never have enough troop selections in an ork army. This is what I do and it lets me fill my basic troops while trying out other tactics and see how other non-troop slots effect my gaming style.

I think this, more than anything, will help you make the determination by your self of what units you should/would like to buy next to compliment your growing army.

BTW - after the Russ/Basilisk and another troop choice, I would fill a heavy slot with a three model squad of Killa Kans.

Good Luck!

Griffin
09-05-2007, 20:14
More Boyz and more Grots !

LightBulb4631
13-05-2007, 00:01
Thanks for all the replys i am working on a 1k list at the moment.

Xyxox
13-05-2007, 00:19
Buy a box of WFB Goblins and a few of the Grotz weapon sprues, voila, twenty grotz for an easy conversion.

Buy a box of the new plastic WFB Black Orcs and a couple fo boxes of Boyz. by cutting some of the weapons off the armored Black Orcs and replacing them with weapons from the Boyz sprues, you can have a quick and easy set of 'Ard Boyz and still do 16 Boyz of one flavor or another, depending upon how you arm your 'Ard Boyz. If you get the the current box of Black Orcs, you can use the extras for Nobs.