PDA

View Full Version : Ogre 2k list - new to Warhammer

TheRiddler
09-05-2007, 12:58
Ok, here's my first attempt at a list. This is based around a few models I have already got:

Tyrant w/ Tenderiser, Gut Maw, Wyrdstone Necklace: 300 pts
Butcher w/ Bagstick, Dispell: 180 pts
Butcher w/ Halfling Cookbook, Dispell 180 pts
Hunter w/ 2x Sabretusks 185 pts

3 Bulls: 105 pts
3 Ironguts: 144 pts
24 Gnoblars: 48 pts
10 Trappers: 60 pts

2 Leadbelchers: 110 pts
3 Yhettees: 195 pts
Scraplauncher: 165 pts

Total: 1995

Plan: The Tyrant would join the Ironguts in the middle of the table flanked by the Bulls (one on each side) - a butcher would join each of the Bulls.
These would be screened by the 2 Gnoblar units. The Leadbelchers could take up position one on each flank. The Trappers would hand around near the Hunter (to use his leadership) and these would form a little detachment to go wherever they are required.
The Scraplauncher would be behind my lines raining death from afar. Not entirely sure what to do with the Yhettees - maybe look for warmachines that are protected by terrain?

So questions:
1) Can I get away without taking any unit upgrades? If not what do you suggest I drop for bellowers etc?
2) What should I spend my 5 remaining points on?
3) I like the look of Gorgers but don't know what to drop for them - maybe drop the Yhettees to get 2 Gorgers (plus 45 spare points?)
4) Models I already have: Battlebox, Hunter, 2xButcher, Tyrant and Scraplauncher

Any C&C would be very welcome. Oh and my main opponant would be some sort of Chaos list

The Thnikkaman
09-05-2007, 13:11
I've been playing OK for a few games now, and the steady conclusion is that trappers really arent going to kill a huge amount. In the 3 games i played with them, they killed two models. Elves. in the one phase. More than one unit seems much more than you need. Leadbelchers, on the other hand, are awesome. I use them to redirect charges from nasty units like knights and such so ironguts can countercharge. As such, you definately want to make one of them a bellower to allow for an easier regroup.

Catferret
09-05-2007, 13:17
With the 5 remaining points buy a Luck Gnoblar for the Tyrant. You never know when you are going to want to reroll that 5+ Ward Save. It may make the difference.

Otherwise it looks good.

TheRiddler
09-05-2007, 15:08
Thanks for the replies so far.

So, is it better to kepp the Yhettees, or drop them for 2 Gorgers (and maybe a bellower for the 2 LB units)?

Ninners
09-05-2007, 15:16
might not work in this army because of points but units of ogres should generally be 4 strong, that way they all get attacks and help break the enemy but theres no point having more because they wont all get an attack

TheRiddler
09-05-2007, 15:25
Well, with the characters attached to the units, all 3 units of Ogres will be 4 strong

druchii
09-05-2007, 19:08
Ok, here's my first attempt at a list. This is based around a few models I have already got:

Tyrant w/ Tenderiser, Gut Maw, Wyrdstone Necklace: 300 pts
Butcher w/ Bagstick, Dispell: 180 pts
Butcher w/ Halfling Cookbook, Dispell 180 pts
Hunter w/ 2x Sabretusks 185 pts

3 Ironguts: 144 pts

3 Yhettees: 195 pts
Scraplauncher: 165 pts

Total: 1995

Plan: The Tyrant would join the Ironguts in the middle of the table flanked by the Bulls (one on each side) - a butcher would join each of the Bulls.
These would be screened by the 2 Gnoblar units. The Leadbelchers could take up position one on each flank. The Trappers would hand around near the Hunter (to use his leadership) and these would form a little detachment to go wherever they are required.
The Scraplauncher would be behind my lines raining death from afar. Not entirely sure what to do with the Yhettees - maybe look for warmachines that are protected by terrain?

So questions:
1) Can I get away without taking any unit upgrades? If not what do you suggest I drop for bellowers etc?
2) What should I spend my 5 remaining points on?
3) I like the look of Gorgers but don't know what to drop for them - maybe drop the Yhettees to get 2 Gorgers (plus 45 spare points?)
4) Models I already have: Battlebox, Hunter, 2xButcher, Tyrant and Scraplauncher

Any C&C would be very welcome. Oh and my main opponant would be some sort of Chaos list

I know it's hard to resist the fatties, so welcome :D

One thing I initially noticed was the hunter :(
I say this with a heavy heart(because they're such a neat idea!) but in all the games I used my hunter, I wished continually that I had spent his points on a third butcher.

The extra dice for those few extra gut magic spells is really invaluable for battering through your opponent's magical defenses(sure, I'll go ahead and cast braingobbla one more time...) and for helping to spread around your magical fatty love. If you drop the Hunter, you can afford another Butcher with the skullmantle(my favorite item in the army!).

If your initial idea is to sport the bull units as bait and flee, I'd drop a unit of trappers to free up the points(or use the left over points from the hunter/butcher swap)to get them some bellowers! Rallying on 1 higher Ld(especially when it's that jump to 8!) is huge! Especially combined with your tyrant being nearby.

On the tangent of "upgrades" your leadbelchers really deserve some bellowers also. Part of their appeal is the ability to fire off a volley of shrapnel, flee from a charge, and spend the turn that they rally reloading their cannons for another go. And while you have stated that your main opponent will be chaos, in one of its iterations, I'd strongly suggest getting a Standard bearer in your Irongut unit with a Lookout Gnoblar. That way, when those odd magic missiles(or throwing axes? lol) invariably goes their way, your tyrant will be allowed that "Look out Sir!" roll.

Keep the yhettees! Holy crap! These guys are my absolute favorite unit in the entire army. My army features two units of three(a bit more than you want to do, I understand) and they're absolutely terrifying with their terrain movement. Also, they can help protect my tyrant sometimes(he's got longstrider so he can keep up with their cavalry-ish charge range) with their -to hit aura.

If that wasn't long enough!
d

Rael
11-05-2007, 23:34
Characters don't get "Look Out Sir" rolls for magic missles or normal missles.

andy demoe
11-05-2007, 23:58
I would go for something like this: just a suggestion?;)
and you still have some points left over.

tyrant:hvy arm,wyrd neck, tender,luck gnob
butcher:dspl,skul man
butcher:dspl,bngstck
bullsx3:belwr,2ndhnd wpn
bullsx3:see above(butcher)
bullsx3:see above(butcher)
bullsx3:see above
irongutsx3:stdrd,belwr,wrbnnr,lokout gnob(tyrant)
irongutsx4:belwr,lokout gnob
leadbelchersx2:belwr
leadbelchersx2:see above
gorger:
gorger:

druchii
12-05-2007, 04:45
Characters don't get "Look Out Sir" rolls for magic missles or normal missles.

Ah good point, I intended that to be "cannons". lol