PDA

View Full Version : Orc boys with spears.

Jakk
10-05-2007, 01:18
How are these Orcs used in battle? Is giving Orc Big 'uns spears a good idea? Considering Orcs have low iniative, they will loose attacks before they can fight back and having that extra rank of attacks can help them win a tough combat.

It seems that with the power of the WAAAAGHHH!! Orcs can get into combat rather easy in the first few turns and can counter charge against calvary if need me. Because of this, I am disposed to taking boys with two choppas with the big 'un upgrade. The extra attack and strength boost in the first turn seems to help win combat allot more than if you were to charge with spears. Giving big 'uns spears seems to limit their role as a defensive one that I can not seem to get the grasp of as an Orc player where you want to be as aggressive as possible in getting into close combat. Giving the spears to regular boys seems to make alot more sense, but I'd rather just give them a shield and a large group count and let combat resolution do the rest.

Let me know what you guys think. I am building some Orcs right now for a tourney this weekend and right now I have made 22 boys with sheilds and I am now deciding on what I should take my big 'un unit with.

-Jakk

Caligula
10-05-2007, 02:21
Honestly, you're logic as to why giving Orc Boyz/Big'uns spears is flawless. I'd suggest not doing it. Of course, perhaps a more experienced Orc general could have a perfectly good reason to the contrary, but I can't imagine one at the moment.

Orc Boyz with choppas and shields are great. I'd give them there giant cleavers and let them do what they do best.

Hey though, experimentation is fun. No harm in trying it out if you're interested.

blurred
10-05-2007, 07:25
Of course, perhaps a more experienced Orc general could have a perfectly good reason to the contrary, but I can't imagine one at the moment.

Savage orc big 'uns with spears and Nogg's banner of butchery. :eek: :eek: :eek:

ChaosTicket
10-05-2007, 07:53
Orcs are an offensive army. Big 'uns with their high battle skills are wasted with spears, as you'll have to let them get charged for spears to be useful.

Jakk
10-05-2007, 07:59
Savage orc big 'uns with spears and Nogg's banner of butchery. :eek: :eek: :eek:

You can not give Savage Orc big 'uns a magical banner, misfortunetly.

Ozzy Orc
10-05-2007, 08:08
All Big 'uns can have magical banner.

MadJackMcJack
10-05-2007, 10:14
Not savage orc big 'uns. Don't ask why, it's a mystery.

Spears are somewhat pointless for an orc now that the choppa is so much better. If you want to play somewhat defensively, take a shield. Aggressively, take two choppas.

Of course, that said, I'm not too well disposed towards big 'uns now anyway. Too expensive. At 4 points apiece, it's just not worth it. Take more boys instead, or splash out on some gobbo support. Sacrificing gobbos for the greater WAAAGH! is always useful.

blurred
10-05-2007, 10:39
You can not give Savage Orc big 'uns a magical banner, misfortunetly.

Ah, right. The new book did not allow a magical banner to savage orcs big 'uns.

Spears are a bit of waste on orcs. Sure its nice to have a lot of attacks, but 2 points a pop is not exactly cheap and regular choppas are so good nowadays.

Braad
10-05-2007, 10:56
Spears are for gobbo's in my opinion.

But if you do want to give spears to big 'uns the only funny combinations I can see are either savage big 'uns with spears or normal ones with the banner of butchery, so that frenzy/banner gives 10 extra attacks instead of 5 (considering ranks of 5 wide).

Another possibility is taking a BSB with the banner of butchery in a unit of savage orc big 'uns with spears.
That comes down to 9 savages with 3 attacks each, + an additional attack for the boss and 5 additional attacks for a savage big boss...
33 attacks if I calculate correctly.
Of course, then you need either to be charged and don't loose to much or survive the first round of combat...

Suddenly I'm thinking about conversions including savage orcs with spears...