PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts - Screaming Banner

Nell2ThaIzzay
10-05-2007, 08:41
Says that for all fear tests caused by the unit carrying the banner, the opponent rolls a 3rd die and discards the one with the lowest result for the leadership test.

Okay, so here's the question. I discussed this with my friend, asking him what would happen if I were to have that banner in a unit that I had, say, a Wraith in, or some other means of spreading terror. Would the effect of the banner take effect for the terror test, since the banner states "fear"?

He says yes, it would, since a terror test is pretty much the same as a fear test, it's just a higher level of fear. He says that anybody who would argue against that is arguing semantics, and, not an exact quote, but not following the spirit of the rule.

On the Vampire Counts section of librarium-online, a fellow poster is saying no, the banner would not take effect for terror tests, stating that terror and fear are 2 different points of psychology, and would only work on a unit that causes fear already, therefore the terror is downgraded to fear on them.

So um, yea... which would it be? I don't have the VC book on me to give the exact wording, but I do know that the banner says "fear tests", not leadership tests. I'd think that would also include the terror tests as well, and my friend agrees, but another poster does not. Who is right?

Griefbringer
10-05-2007, 08:54
By the RAW, terror test is not a fear test, so I would say that the banner does not apply to terror tests.

So it is probably a better idea not to place a terror causing model on a unit with the screaming banner.

Sasha
10-05-2007, 08:58
i think if a wraith joined it, it would still just be the wraith causing terror, not the unit so any terror test would be against the wraith, not the unit, so the banner wouldn't apply.

also people would still have to take all the normal fear tests if you caused terror, so i'd say you'd just get the special rule on those tests.

T10
10-05-2007, 10:10
Once a unit has taken it's Terror test it just takes Fear tests thereafter, so the Wraith will not completely negate the effect of the banner.

On one hand I can see how this seems strange since the Terror test replaces the Fear test. However, it would be an unfair advantage to pay for a enhanced Fear effect and get an enhanced Terror effect.

-T10

theunwantedbeing
10-05-2007, 11:55
Fear isnt terror,they are separate rules.
So you only get the effects of the banner when your opponent is taking a fear test.

Basically you dont stick a wraith(or other terror causer) in the unit with the screaming banner(well against the inital frontal charge or the flank that the wraith is on).

DeathlessDraich
10-05-2007, 13:37
Further permutations of Wraith in a unit with Screaming Banner:

1) If they charge from more than 6" or are charged, the enemy only takes a Terror test. {and not Terror and Fear}
2) If at the start the Wraith is within 6" of an enemy unit which it is charged by, then the enemy unit takes a Terror test at the start of the turn and then a Fear test after charge declaration. The Screaming Banner is now applicable for this Fear test.

Strange that everyone seems to think it is inadvisable to place a Wraith in a unit with Screaming Banner. I don't think there is anything tactically wrong in doing so.

Atrahasis
10-05-2007, 14:22
2) If at the start the Wraith is within 6" of an enemy unit which it charges, This sounds like it is the Wraith's turn, in which case no terror test is taken at the start of turn.

DeathlessDraich
10-05-2007, 17:29
This sounds like it is the Wraith's turn, in which case no terror test is taken at the start of turn.

Thanks - edited

slasher
11-05-2007, 01:00
Two things,
1st - I'd say it would work as terror and fear are eithor or tests not testing for both.

2nd - So how would this work with the lizardman cold blooded rule, roll 3 dice and pick the lowest two against roll 3 and pick the highest - or was the op parapharasing and the rules say roll an extra dice?

theunwantedbeing
11-05-2007, 01:19
It says roll an additonal dice and discard the lowest.
So lizardmen roll 4 dice and discard the lowest score and the highest score.

And it doesnt work on terror tests,as a terror test isnt a fear test,and the rule states fear tests.

slasher
11-05-2007, 01:23
Cheers, (and i really do need to re-read the rule book after not playin for 2 years.)