PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point Dwarfs Anvil offensive army...

Caligula
10-05-2007, 11:18
...Take 1.

This is the first draft of an army list built using my current thoughts on the offensive oriented Dwarf army using an Anvil of Doom. Without going on too much and destroying what little attention you might have left to this thread, here's the list.

Runelord-
Rune of Resistance
Rune of Spellbreaking
Anvil of Doom
@365pts.

Thane-
Shield
Master Rune of Swiftness
Rune of Fury
Rune of Cleaving
Rune of Stone
@142pts.

Thane-
Battle Standard
Rune of Cleaving
Rune of Striking
Master Rune of Gromril
@145pts.

19 Dwarf Warriors-
Shields
Musician
Standard Bearer
Veteran
@196pts.
*first Thane goes here

19 Longbeards-
Great Weapons
Musician
Standard Bearer
Rune of Stoicism
Veteran
@297pts.
* Thane BSB goes here

10 Quarrellers-
Shields
@120pts.

10 Slayers
@110pts.

15 Miners-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Prospector
@190pts.

15 Miners-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Prospector
@190pts.

Cannon-
Rune of Forging
@125pts.

Organ Gun
@120pts.

TOTAL-2000pts.

There it is, a very rough, very basic first draft. You'll notice that even though it's supposed to be an army geared mostly for taking the fight to the enemy and engaging in close combat(Dwarfs on the charge! are you mad!), I've tried to keep it slightly more balanced. It contains a unit of Quarrellers and a couple war machines. Honestly, I think such additions are rather important. If the army is geared entirely for close combat, and lacks the main thing that saves Dwarfs due to their insanely slow movement(I'm talking about firepower here and making the enemy want to come to you, etc.), then, well....problems can occur.

For starters, I'd be a fool to think the Runelord will always manage to do what he's supposed to do with the Anvil powers when I need him to. The Anvil is a bit unpredictable and bad things do occasionally happen. The point is, there's a chance that my Runelord will blow himself up(or somehow be destroyed by other means)every now and then. I'd rather have a bit more flexibility in what I do after that occurs, and having some ranged firepower will be a big help, I think. Not only that, but it might prove useful in softening up units in prep for my Dwarfs to take them in combat.

The two blocks of sturdy Dwarfs, Warriors and Longbeards, make up the centre of my force. Both units are accompanied by some pretty tough Heroes, and should provide a solid core to my battleline.

The Slayers are basically there for flank duties, and whatever else comes up. I love Slayers, and an offensive Dwarf army wouldn't seem quite right without a unit of them.

Then we have the Miners, two units of them in fact both with full command. These are, imho, vital units in an offensive Dwarf army, and combined with the Anvil's Rune of Oath and Honour can be very effective. Of course, if the Anvil doesn't do its' job, the Miners are still far from uselss...just a little slower. I thought it was important to give the two units a bit of bulk just in case, and 15 each seemed about good.

So, I suppose that's pretty much it at this point. Remember, this is most definately a first draft, and I'm VERY open to suggestions and commentary.

Caligula
10-05-2007, 14:40
No takers yet, eh? Good enough, I mean I'm familiar enough with Dwarfs to know it's a fairly solid army list, and could very well do what it's supposed to. By saying that, I'm certainly not tooting my own horn, I'm the first to admit that I'm little more than a rank amateur when it comes to Fantasy, but...there's nothing arrogant about stating a fact, I don't believe. So if I sound cocky or arrogant, please don't take it as such...it's a simple case of knowing the Dwarf army list. It's one of the few army lists I'd even consider having a decent knowledge of, the other being Empire.

Okay, that said, most(hopefully?) would agree it's an okay, solid list. However, I'd like to go beyond that, and get some help from some real, veteran Dwarf generals who know what the hell they're saying;)

I'm not looking to make a maxed out army, or a "cheese-fest" no fun army, or even a grand tournament winning army...I'm just wanting to take this army to a relatively high standard of worth, and I'm asking the Longbeards for some help.

Thanks for reading if you've gotten this far!

That Guy
10-05-2007, 15:17
I've tried something very similar to this before.

Excellent call on taking some ranged units. I felt the biggest mistake I made when I built my offensive Dwarf list was that I didn't have any handgunners or quarellers. It forced me to use the Anvil to take out light cavalry instead of moving the army forward.

I used one unit of miners (with drill, do your units have drills?) and one unit of rangers. I think rangers are underrated, and would strongly recommend them.

I'm not a big fan of great weapons on longbeards. They already have S 4. I'd give the warriors great weapons and the longbeards hand weapons. But that's just me. There could be something I'm missing.

Have you thought about giving your BSB Strollaz's Rune? A free movement would DEFINATELY help.

One flank is anchored by the Slayers, what about hte other flank? I used a unit of slayers too, and then just squished my other flank up against the table edge. It worked quite well.

I'm not a big fan of the Organ gun for an army like this. It can put a hurt on, but only from 24 inches away. If you drop a unit of miners for rangers you'll be able to put in a couple bolt throwers (which I love). If you really want to keep the miners, I'd drop the organ gun for a Gyrocopter. Stops the march AND has that nasty template.

Just my two cents. Take only what you will.

Caligula
10-05-2007, 18:34
Hmmm, you know, That Guy, a month or two ago when I started coming up with ways of making this list, I had pretty much considered everything you've mentioned there...and for some reason as of late, promptly forgot about it. Thanks for reminding of these things, and a few things I hadn't considered at all.

Rangers, Strollaz's Rune, and Gyrocopters are all very offensive-friendly things in the Dwarf army list, and I've somehow managed to exclude them. Silly, silly me. Thanks again, Guy...I've got a few things to consider before rewriting the list.

Caligula
11-05-2007, 02:25
Okay, here we go with the revised list...Take II.

Runelord-
Shield
Rune of Stone
Anvil of Doom
@323pts.

Thane-
Shield
Rune of Fury
Master Rune of Swiftness
Rune of Cleaving
Rune of Stone
@142pts.

Thane-
Battle Standard
Rune of Cleaving
Rune of Striking
Master Rune of Gromril
@145pts.

19 Dwarf Warriors-
Shields
Musician
Standard Bearer
Veteran
@196pts.
*Thane goes in this unit

19 Dwarf Warriors-
Great Weapons
Musician
Standard Bearer
Veteran
@215pts.
*Thane BSB goes in this unit

10 Quarrellers-
Shields
@120pts.

15 Longbeards-
Shields
Great Weapons
Musician
Standard Bearer
Rune of Stoicism
Veteran
Rangers
Throwing Axes
@290pts.

15 Miners-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Prospector
Steam Drill
@215pts.

8 Slayers
@88pts.

Cannon-
Rune of Forging
@125pts.

Gyrocopter
@140pts.

TOTAL-1999pts.

There we go, the changes have been made, and quite honestly I think the list is looking really sharp now.

The only thing I'm left wondering, really, is whether or not to sacrifice my Thane BSB's added survivabilty and combat prowess(ie. the Runes he has in the list above) in favour of Strollaz's Rune. What do you think? Is it worth it?

Any other comments are also very welcome!

RavenBloodwind
11-05-2007, 04:20
As you've indicated yourself, generally solid. I'd make the rangers non-longbeards and save yourself 45 points. This would buy you more rangers or a bolt thrower.

Additionally, I'm bothered by the removal of your antimagic runes on your runelord. I'd consider both MRoBalance and a spellbreaker rune.

intellectawe
11-05-2007, 05:10
Make room for Thorek.

Gwelandor
11-05-2007, 21:34
Thorek, lol. i believe hes slighty overpowered...
anyway i like the list. id definatly take strollaz's rune for that all important extra hike. id drop the cannon in favour of the organ gun. use the organ gun to assist the slayers in holding the flank. even move it up if you have too, it easily deals with those annoying fast cav flaners etc.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
12-05-2007, 09:09
i would say put the thane in the miner unit with the rune of brotherhood and give him a weapon which is +1 st and +1 to hit, its what i do, they will hit very hard on the 2nd turn with the steam drill

That Guy
12-05-2007, 19:12
Excellent list. The first one was good, I think this is better. The only minor thing left to say is that I don't think the Miners should be longbeards either. Being in front of everything else the Old Grumblers rule is practically wasted, and the strength bonus isn't as useful with Great Weapons. Perhaps use the points to fill out the unit of Slayers?

sheck2
12-05-2007, 19:44
Get rid of the gyro...you have very little shooting so its main function to marhc block is useless.

Get rid of the LB rangers (and throwing axes)...you're paying a lot for throwing axes as the scouting rule in most cases is useless.

Use the points to get two more slayers with at least one troll slayer...And put GW on the thunders. You have an anvil - either of these rgts. can be used as detachments and moved (via anvil) as flankers

intellectawe
17-05-2007, 17:55
Thorek, lol. i believe hes slighty overpowered...

And?

He said he wanted an offensive list, and Thorek fits the bill.

Dranthar
18-05-2007, 08:58
And?

He said he wanted an offensive list, and Thorek fits the bill.

Thorek is possibly not the kind of 'offensive' Caligula was thinking of. :D

Silver Dragon Flame
18-05-2007, 09:29
If we are "considering" Thorek Ironbrow, I think he would be very bad for this list actually. Sure, he's better at using his anvil but he does not have any of the magic resistance that is actually needed up there. An ordinary, cheaper Runelord with MR of Balance and/or Rune of spellbreaking will do better, I believe.

ehlijen
18-05-2007, 13:22
I agree. Thorek is not that great as a rune lord. His equipment is largly a joke on a stationary character. He's a runelord pretending to be a fighting lord tooled for taking on characters, except he doesn't get to do that. And he eats up slots for characters that could have been actual magic defense characters.

Other things to consider for controling the movement phase:
-rune of challenge, nice to set up traps as you can still flee from the charge if you want to :)
-rune of dismay: might give you an extra turn of breathing space
-master rune of grugni (preferrably near the slayers): press home the point that they won't be able to kill you by shooting
-oathstones, possibly: the knowledge that determninde flank attacks aren't going to work can majorly mess with the opponents plan. He might also, decide to sacrifice smaller units to tempt you into setting it too early. Mostly though, it's magic defense and an emergency backup plan. just be sure not to set it unless needed