PDA

View Full Version : 2k High Elves, with a dragon.

DragonPup
10-05-2007, 14:40
So I was batting around army ideas and came across this one. I'm still a WHFB newb, so let me know what you all think. :)

Lord and Heroes

Prince: Dragon, Lance, Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Vambraces of Defense 522

Mage: Level 2, Dispel Scroll 150

Mage: Level 2, Jewel of the Dusk 145

Core Troops

10 Silver Helms: Heavy Armor, Shields, Full Command, Banner of Ellyrion 280

5 Silver Helms: Heavy Armor, Shield, Musician 122

Special

18 Swordmasters, Full Command, War Banner, 6x3 formation

5 Shadow Warriors 75

Rare

2 Bolt Throwers 200

2 Great Eagles 100

Scibadi
10-05-2007, 14:58
Its a bit small but that could be expected because of the dragon....are the swordmasters going to be able to keep up with the horses or are they just there to protect the mages? Also what terrain and tactics are you planning to use?

Lander
10-05-2007, 15:05
Drop Swordmasters get Reavers and put mages on horses.

DragonPup
10-05-2007, 15:41
Its a bit small but that could be expected because of the dragon....are the swordmasters going to be able to keep up with the horses or are they just there to protect the mages? Also what terrain and tactics are you planning to use?

Well, with the Nemesis Crown coming up, I expect there to be forest terrain.

Like I said, I am still rather new to FB, so I don't have the tactics fully fleshed out yet. I am thinking let the enemy get close rather than a head on charge. The smaller SH blocks will be used for mainly flanking. The banner of ellyrion on the SH Block seems like a handy way to catch the enemy off guard. The mages will stay close to the Swordmasters and or the bolt throwers.

TimmyMWD
12-05-2007, 20:27
So I was batting around army ideas and came across this one. I'm still a WHFB newb, so let me know what you all think. :)

Lord and Heroes

Prince: Dragon, Lance, Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Vambraces of Defense 522

Mage: Level 2, Dispel Scroll 150

Mage: Level 2, Jewel of the Dusk 145

I would try and work in the rings somehow. Two level two mages plus two bound spells gives you some decent magic potency.

Core Troops

10 Silver Helms: Heavy Armor, Shields, Full Command, Banner of Ellyrion 280

Good choices, I always include the musician in my five man units, you never know when you need them.

Special

18 Swordmasters, Full Command, War Banner, 6x3 formation

5 Shadow Warriors 75

I'm not quite sold on the swordmasters. The rest of your list is mobile, and I think the swordmasters would be hard pressed to see their points invested in the battle. I would drop the swordmasters for another cav unit and the rings as I mentioned above.

The shadow warriors will be useful for slowing down one part of the battlefield to set up your attack, but even then with the little shooting you have I'm not sure if it is necessary.

Rare

2 Bolt Throwers 200

2 Great Eagles 100
[/quote]

Great Eagles are a must for this type of list. I don't think the Bolt Throwers are going to work well in it, though. You'd be better off dropping them, and getting two Tiranoc Chariots. That should you leave you some points left over for beefing up your mages a little bit. The chariots will work well in combined charges with your five man silver helm units. Those impact hits are going to be crucial so that you don't find yourself bouncing off enemy units.

Hope my post makes sense, happy gaming with High Elves!

2thesword
16-05-2007, 08:29
I've played an all cavalry list at 2K points with a prince on a dragon, and it can do very well.

Some experiences that I've had:
Bolt throwers are not worth it - you are paying a premium to have a highly mobile army, you will want to use that to be in combat by turn 2/3 at the latest... that meants 4-5 turns where they are largely useless or shooting lower value targets.

Combining a magic heavy presence is very effective (although a hvy magic, all cavalry army is probably the most "cheesy" army HE can field). I normally field 2 x lvl 2 mages:
1 generally takes a scroll, ring, mounted and a good all-round lore
other is a seer council (seer, channeller, silver wand) and takes heavens with the comet spell (this can be swapped out for shadow and the pit spell or metal and the #6 anti-armour spell) - ie your main magical threat to your opponents big things

chariots are a must, i generally take 2

shadow warriors are too isolated and die to quickly. drop them (use your eagles for march blocking to slow down or divert key enemy units to disrupt his battle line & get flank hits in).

drop the swordmasters for more silver helms, and take a unit of dragon princes...

if you go magic heavy (as described above) take the banner of sorcery.

against dwarves or vampire counts (or a heavy magic defence army) consider dropping a mage and taking a BSB with the battle banner mounted...

this one item has won me more battles than any other unit or hero (including the guy on the dragon).. as long as you dont hit a unit that is unbreakable or stubborn you will almost always break a unit on the first hit (even if you do minimal wounds) and then you just power through a unit a turn until there's nothing left.