PDA

View Full Version : what you get on sprues

forthegloryofkazadekrund
10-05-2007, 15:31
hi i bought a couple of night goblin boxes and some fanatic boxes and it was curious to note at the lack of extra stuff on the sprues for the reg box, it looks like with this they are putting the bare minimum you need and nothing more, no different shield designs ect :(, the fanatic box, loads of stuff in it, the same goes for the dwarf box set, shields coming out of your ears and loads of extra stuff

is there any other new box sets like this with no or very little extras

blongbling
10-05-2007, 16:28
its because the night goblin boxes are from before they changed teh pastic machines so they couldnt put as much on the sprues as the machines couldnt fill it out...later moxes have more on them, eg fanatics

Mikhaila
10-05-2007, 23:38
Which NG box? They just released a new one after skull pass came out, but lots of the old ones still around.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
11-05-2007, 08:20
its because the night goblin boxes are from before they changed teh pastic machines so they couldnt put as much on the sprues as the machines couldnt fill it out...later moxes have more on them, eg fanatics

hang on so are the other box sets bought out recently - empire, dwarfs ect in the wd it states that the black orcs are the first box done using the new tech

the dwarf sprue has tons of stuff on it

i liked all the little bits you could get in the old ng box, mushrooms, spare arrows, pouches knifes ect

superknijn
11-05-2007, 09:59
Well, there has been a steady improvement of sprue density the last couple of years, so the most recent sprues have more on it and/or more detail.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
12-05-2007, 08:16
take the new ng sprue for example and the dwarf one and compare how much is in each box set, tyhe dwarf one wins hands down for it is overflowing with stuff

JT-Y
12-05-2007, 08:48
Erm...

Well, the Blorcs are the first full regiment set sprues designed entirely on computer, no greestuff touched at all.
So thats what is meant by new technology.

The new NG's and Empire stuff is done on the newer, larger machines bought not so long ago to aid with the new technology and to allow for even bigger plastic casts, so cast as 3 part sprues rather than the old 2 part sprues, follow me?

I assume the reason for lack of extra bits on the NG sprue is due to the amount of space taken up with the real components, as there are 20 of those blighters on those 3 parts of the sprue, but only 10 Empire blokes in comparrison, so more air between the real bits there for the extra add ons.

Seems reasonable, but I agree that more stuff, like mushrooms and snots, would be a bonus.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
12-05-2007, 08:55
theres 20 in the dwarf box as well and theres stuff on thier sprues extra

Destris
12-05-2007, 10:18
Nope, 16 in the Dwarf box. ;)

D.

Griefbringer
12-05-2007, 14:34
theres 20 in the dwarf box as well and theres stuff on thier sprues extra

The important thing is not really the number of models per box, but the number of models per sprue.

AFAIK the Dwarf boxes still use the traditional method of having 4 models per sprue. The night goblins might have a bigger sprue, but they cram much more models on it, meaning higher portion of the area is taken by the bodies (plus the NGs also have more weapon options, that takes more room).

EmperorNorton
12-05-2007, 14:51
Usually I'm not a fan of all the extras.
After assembling three boxes of Dwarfs I have a huge pile of bits I'm never going to use and feel like it's a waste of money (I'd have prefered if I had had less options, but more models).

The Night Goblins don't have enough bits, though. I wanted to have twenty gobbos with shields and hand weapons, but there weren't enough bits to equip them all like that.

blongbling
12-05-2007, 15:21
by new technology i dont mean on computer...it is about the machines used to inject teh plastic into the moulds...they have started to use better machines that allow more plastic into the moulds, therefore more things on the sprues

DubBot
14-05-2007, 00:51
The Night Goblins don't have enough bits, though. I wanted to have twenty gobbos with shields and hand weapons, but there weren't enough bits to equip them all like that.

To be fair, you are only one weapon away, and a trimmed-down spear may stand in well enough...

The sprues do seem designed more and more with 'extras' in mind (where possible) - just look at the range of plastic bugs and beasties available across the Warhammer regiments: dogs, snails, snakes, beetles, monkeys, rats (& mini rats in cloaks!:p )...Not everyone's cup of tea (or cultural beverage of choice), but I do now have a spirit host made up largely of dead animals!

scarletsquig
14-05-2007, 02:37
^ falcons, swans, and frogs, too if you go to town on the brettonian men-at arms box! :D